Thrift store find

Posted by: susan in florida

Thrift store find - 09/12/13 02:40 PM

I found a 1980 Hallmark porcelain, Shirt tails music box.

It has a raccoon wearing a blue shirt with "Happy Day!" on the front and "Happy Times!" on the back. with a yellow duck at his feet.

Has "Happiness is a rainbow in the heart!" Around the base. The raccoon is holding two small rainbow flags.

The box plays "Playmate"....will you come out and play.

There is one pictured on ebay if you type in: Hallmark music box Happiness is a rainbow in the heart. If you want to see a picture.

I played $2.00 for it with no box. It's super cute. I have one other older music box. I need one more to be a collector!! HA HA
Posted by: luckdragon

Re: Thrift store find - 09/12/13 05:28 PM

I remember Shirt Tales! Nice find!

Today, I found a bag of ornaments at Goodwill for 99 cents.

Inside was:
1993 Eeyore
1994 All Pumped Up
1995 Perfect Balance
1996 Fantastic Season
1996 Grandson
1997 Sky's the Limit #1 Kitty Hawk

All were no box ornaments. Eeyore's one of my favorites, so that was nice. And, being from NC, Kitty Hawk is a big deal here, so that's a good one. The sports ones are okay.
Posted by: Paintbeanie

Re: Thrift store find - 09/13/13 10:49 PM

Today I found the first two x-mas window ornaments for $10 each, so I was a happy camper. I do have a question though. For the second x-mas window ornament, I had the memory card and an additional piece of paper inside. It is a smaller rectangular paper with the hallmark logo on one end of the printed side in black and white. On the other end of the printed side is the ornament model #, the ornament name, as well as a stamped number and a vendor id #. I've never seen this before, is it for store display models? I have gotten several display models in the past and never saw this, so I wanted to ask about this.
Posted by: SunnySue

Re: Thrift store find - 09/14/13 07:21 PM

I found a 1984 Baby`s First Christmas for .50 in box.Its a teddy bear on a sled with gifts. Really cute.

Re: Thrift store find - 09/14/13 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Paintbeanie
Today I found the first two x-mas window ornaments for $10 each, so I was a happy camper.

Nice finds! I'm missing those as well as #3, so I'd love to find them in a thrift store. I bought #4 on ebay a few days ago ($15 with free shipping), so it's on its way! Yay!

No idea about your question. One store I go to puts a colored dot sticker on boxes that are their displays. And I've had the hangers left on display ornaments before. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything different about them. And some that I bought were club ornaments (windows #5 being one of them).
Posted by: deckthehalls

Re: Thrift store find - 09/14/13 09:35 PM

In corporate stores the key to an empty display box on the floor is a white dot sticker. Empty boxes in the store room have a rubber band around them
Posted by: LouisaMay

Re: Thrift store find - 09/15/13 06:12 PM

Estate sale...they had Blessed Nativity from 1998 minus the shepherds for $24.00 in a manger. Whether or not the manger belongs with them, I have no idea. I had never seen these pieces before, so I bought them, but had to convince the sellers that Joseph, out of the manger and priced separately belonged to the same group. I guess he left Mary to be a single mom for the sale.

They also had Tin Locomotive #4 in a bag with other hallmarks...no boxes...so I got a bag for $8.00 with that and some early Here comes santa, one of them the wheels had been glued and I need to reglue one. Oh well..and

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1985-Tin-Locomotive-4-_p_1114.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1990-Here-Comes-Santa-12--SDB_p_9707.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1986-Here-Comes-Santa-
8--DB_p_8050.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1999-Pony-for-Christmas-2_p_4954.html
Posted by: peimom

Re: Thrift store find - 09/15/13 11:04 PM

I went to a garage sale Saturday morning and found the 1973 (glass ball) Manger Scene NB and the 1977 Bell (glass ball) QX1542-N $1.00 each!!!

Re: Thrift store find - 10/08/13 05:17 PM

Found 1998 Kringle Bells at Goodwill for 99 cents NRFB. It still had the plastic wrap on the box. That's a bit depressing. That ornament's been in a box for fifteen years.

I rarely find miniature ornaments at thrift stores. Don't really see too many posts about finding them either. I wonder if it's because they're so small that they just get loss in the fray. I'd love to find some more minis at thrift stores.
Posted by: vais4lovers

Re: Thrift store find - 10/08/13 06:25 PM

I'd never thought about it that way before. I share your sadness for an ornament being in a box for fifteen years. All the missed opportunities for decorating. Did ornament boxes used to be wrapped in plastic? I have found miniature ornaments in the box at Goodwill. They were $2.50 each.
Posted by: grandma lise

Re: Thrift store find - 10/14/13 06:04 PM

Oh, I forgot my favorite find this season...a white Iris 9 drawer storage tower for $14.99. Love these. They're great for storing small, light weight items.

Years ago, Costco sold them. Still kicking myself for not buying more at the time. The 9 drawer looks similar to this but is taller and features three drawer sizes...

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-733-mc-343-top.aspx

They clean up beautifully with a spray bottle of Windex and paper towels. It takes me about an hour but I've never timed myself. (I don't have anything against dust, so long as it's MY dust). smile

Lisa
Posted by: decorlady

Re: Thrift store find - 10/14/13 09:30 PM

Lisa, I am with you. Dust and Dirt are OK as long as it is mine but don't want someone else's. Have to clean everything that comes from the thrift stores as soon as I bring it in my house.

Last week I got a bag of ornaments for $1.00 and in it was a 1976 Twirl About Angel. Love this ornament and all the old ones. I find a few but not many this year.

I'm always looking for vintage/antique Christmas items!

Mary Lou

Re: Thrift store find - 10/15/13 08:38 PM

I'm the same way Mary Lou!

I've found a few Twirl About ornaments in thrift stores over the years. Those are always an exciting find for me. Congrats!

Lisa
Posted by: Collector Joy

Re: Thrift store find - 10/15/13 10:09 PM

Lisa, can I ask you when you start seeing Christmas ornaments at the Thrift stores? I think I might start looking for then this year.

Joyce

Re: Thrift store find - 10/15/13 10:38 PM

Joyce, I think it varies from store to store. I drop by every week or so and ask at the two stores I shop. Often they don't know, but with each week, the responses slowly become more specific. If I can, I'll ask more than one employee.

I personally find that Thursdays and Fridays are the best days to see the new items at our Goodwill. I've never quite figured out Value Village, but those are good days there too year round. (They, unlike Goodwill, process everything locally.)

I'm lucky in that one store is a half mile from me, the other two miles. You could also call. Don't be afraid to be that "crazy collector who calls every week" . They have no way of knowing who you are. smile

The other thing I notice is that Goodwill will put out the less desirable items in the beginning. I go through it, but rarely find much if anything. Then, all of a sudden, there's lots of Christmas out. From that point forward, I go frequently in the hopes of finding more narrow neck, hand blown glass balls. When I find a box, I'm so happy!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/15/13 10:44 PM

I can't speak for Lisa, but I do go thrift store shopping every week since I live within 5-10 minutes of 3 thrift stores. While I go every week, November and December are by far the easiest months to find Christmas stuff. That's for two reasons: 1-some thrift stores hold Christmas decorations until Nov-Dec because they sell better then. 2-People decorate in November and December, so they donate their Christmas stuff they don't want in November and December as well as in January when they are packing everything away.

I've never found a twirl-around though. Found yarn ones from the 70s before in thrift stores.

My Goodwill keeps Christmas stuff year round. So does Habitat for Humanity (though, they usually only have ornaments out in November/December). Value Village only has them out in November/December, but I've noticed this year, they've already started putting Christmas on endcaps. Salvation Army only does it in November/December besides an annual Christmas in July thing (this year they did Christmas in August).

Value Village is my favorite to go to because they have all kinds of stuff, and it's huge! The unboxed Hallmarks end up in plastic bags full of ornaments from anywhere between $2-$5, so you just have to hunt through the bags. It's a blast...though they frequently put glass ball ornaments in the bags, so the bags tend to have broken glass. Very dangerous and annoying. You'd think they'd stop that after doing it for several years. Some of the boxed ones get on the shelves, and others get locked up in their locked glass display cases. One of my favorite Christmas finds last year at Value Village was in late December (week of Christmas, but not after Christmas) when they had all Christmas decorations for half off. This one lady kept blocking the Christmas aisle, so I kept having to circle around the store, waiting patiently, waiting for her to get through. Seriously, anyone who got near her, she'd stretch her body as far as she could, blocking all of the shelves within reach. After she finally got done, I went over there, and I uncovered a tabletop Jim Shore Santa called Gather Round. It was marked $2.12, so I got him for $1.06.
Posted by: decorlady

Re: Thrift store find - 10/15/13 11:55 PM

Our Habitat has Christmas out from July to December. Our Goodwill puts it out whenever they have any. Our Safe store waits until couple months before Christmas.

Of course I look for Christmas All Year!
Posted by: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: luckdragon
It's a blast...though they frequently put glass ball ornaments in the bags, so the bags tend to have broken glass. Very dangerous and annoying. You'd think they'd stop that after doing it for several years.

My guess is that they keep putting the glass ball ornaments in the bags with other things so that they can get rid of them. They may have a goal of getting the amount of Christmas merchandise down to the smallest number of storage tubs or boxes since they would have to keep it in the storage area for the rest of the year. I stopped in a thrift store where they had just boxed up the Christmas things; they let me look through the boxes hoping that I would find enough things to reduce the number of boxes they'd have to store so I made sure I packed things up to limit the amount of breakage and still fit in the boxes.

The Goodwill closest to my house has a holiday section where they have Easter mixed in with the Christmas year-round. Closer to those holidays I see Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day. I stopped in yesterday and saw a box with bubble plastic for the 2009 Cool Decade for $1.99. I didn't see the ornament anywhere so I wondered if someone bought it without the box. There was enough packing tape on one end that I was pretty sure they didn't get separated along the way.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 02:30 AM

It's so interesting reading everyone's experiences with their thrift stores in their area. Christmas items for the most part are only available here for a 6 - 8 week period. And I probably only see two dozen Hallmark ornaments at each store during this period.

One year, I hit it big. I found and bought 10 boxes of the Frostlight Faeries flowers for $2.99 each. I was so excited!

Lisa
Posted by: Carolfs

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 02:52 PM

Not a Hallmark find but I found a vintage Everglean aluminum Christmas tree at a yard sale. The box called it a 6 ft. tree but the owner said it was more like 4 ft. Also got the color wheel. One of the plastic sections of the wheel melted but it works for the most part. I think it just needs a screw to be tightened up. The seller wanted $50 for it but I got it for $30. Not sure exactly what I got since I haven't had a chance to put it together but for $30 I took a chance on it.

Carol
Posted by: Heidi

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 03:46 PM

I was tickled to find 3 ornaments at a flea market this weekend. I got Galloping into Christmas - a tin membership ornament for $15. Woodland Santa (also tin) for $5. and rock candy miner for 7. One vender was a former Hallmark store owner, he was tough to bargain with. Can't wait to go back because he has others I was interested in, but he wanted more than box price and I wasn't sure of current value.
Posted by: marywarning

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 05:36 PM

I went by and stopped at a Goodwill store today. Not Hallmark but I found 8 plates taped together, dessert size, and they were of all of Santa's Reindeers, one reindeer on each plate. Not a chip or scratch on them, they were perfect. I got all for $3.00. No tax.
The brand name was Rainbow Mountain.
I give my peanut butter fudge out each year at Christmas and this year instead of putting it in boxes I am going to put it on these plates. Won't that be cute?
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 05:37 PM

I think that you found something there Carolfs.
The Aluminum trees and especially the color wheels are really hard to find.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 08:42 PM

Oh wow, great finds. I would have been happy with ANY of them. Makes me want to go to the thrift store even though it's only Wednesday...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 09:58 PM

Not Hallmark either, but have been thrift store shopping, but was pleased to get 4 bowls of Polish pottery for 2.25 for the bundle, and 4 plates of the same for 2.25

Made my week!I love Polish pottery

Re: Thrift store find - 10/16/13 11:35 PM

Oh LouisaMay, there's something so thrilling about finding a favorite collectible and for a GREAT price!

Lisa
Posted by: Dana Zuke

Re: Thrift store find - 10/17/13 10:52 AM

Have a few days off work. Been awhile since I have been too a goodwill/ thrift store. Reading all these great finds has me in the mood to go shopping.
Posted by: Collector Joy

Re: Thrift store find - 10/17/13 08:39 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments regarding when you find Christmas items at your Thrift Stores. I'll have to check out my Stores next week.

Joyce

Re: Thrift store find - 10/17/13 09:49 PM

Dropped by both stores tonight...and they both have begun putting out small amounts of the not so great Christmas stuff. A bit more Halloween too.

The funny thing is...I kept finding things thinking, "Oh, that's kind of cute", only to then realize I donated them around Christmas or New Years...last year!

Did find five of my favorite every day mugs that I break on a regular basis. Stocked up again now. Also a six sided crystal taper holder.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/18/13 09:05 AM

They are starting to put Christmas out. One chain thinks they are like estate sellers so they had Waterford one in the box and priced it at 22.98 (2009 one)...good golly...and NOT buying.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/18/13 09:58 AM

I found the whole set of the Carousel Horses with stand. Also a Zibra ornament. What I would love to find is the 2006 Snowtop Lodge ornament! Have you seen the prices of them on ebay? That would be the only one I missed in this series.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/18/13 08:26 PM

Congrats SunnySue, I remember those! LouisaMay, I remember seeing quite a bit of Waterford at TJMaxx last year. Those were new, in box. I think they charged less...

I stopped by a thrift store while running errands today. I was so excited to find this Waechtersbach Halloween mug for $5.99, I forgot to look at Christmas! (In my defense, I had a pizza waiting for pick up).

Looks like there's quite a variety of Halloween themed mugs produced by this company. I really like all but one or two...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...oween&rt=nc

Upon arriving home, I found a note inviting me to a neighborhood block party on Halloween night. I'm excited about that too. Hoping, hoping it's neither freezing cold or raining!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 02:36 PM

I found another #1 Mischievous Kittens with the goldfish loose in the enclosed bowl! I couldn't believe when I picked it up and heard it rattling. I've only seen two of this ornament ever, and both fish were swimming freestyle. Does this keep the price of this ornament up?

Enjoy reading everyone's finds. Goodwill charges no tax in SC? And what great prices at some stores, $3 for 6 dishes! I don't know what Polish pottery is but is also sounds like a deal. My stores are more like the estate sale prices. And as was pointed out, the prices here can be higher than they are at a discount store.
Posted by: debbieg

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: vais4lovers
I don't know what Polish pottery is but is also sounds like a deal. My stores are more like the estate sale prices.

Polish pottery, the kind found in the U.S. is made in Boleslawiec, Poland. It now comes in many designs. The original design looked an eyeball sort of and was in blue. Today's pottery has more colors. They even sell ornaments!
Posted by: debbieg

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: LouisaMay
Not Hallmark either, but have been thrift store shopping, but was pleased to get 4 bowls of Polish pottery for 2.25 for the bundle, and 4 plates of the same for 2.25

Made my week!I love Polish pottery

Louisa May, This is probably made in Boleslawiec, Poland. http://tinyurl.com/mp5j2n4
Looks to me like there are several stores on Ebay selling this pottery now. It's heavy so it costs a lot to ship it to the U.S.

I've only seen it in Tuesday Morning & Cracker Barrel in the U.S.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 04:50 PM

I don't know if they charge sales tax at Goodwill in S.C. or not since I never find any Hallmark ornaments there so I never get to buy anything. This time it was a little different. Not Hallmark but.........
LOL.
Mary
Posted by: Duluth_Collector

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 06:37 PM

Does dreaming of finding Hallmark at a thrift store count? That happened to me last night; been a long time since that has happened.

I was at an estate sale today and had to pass on several Hallmark Ornaments. They wanted $6(down to $3 today) for the Mobo Horse, Superman Lunchbox, Lone Ranger Lunchbox, and I think a few others. They also had at $6.50 each both High School Musical ornaments (in quadruplets), Jonas Brother ornament, and a few other undesirables from recent years. They also had the 4 Reach Carousel Horses w/o boxes for $19 down to $9.50 today. Passed on all of them!

In Mankato this past week I purchased the Hallmark Mitford Max Candy Dish for $1.00 (have it already and don't know if I am going to keep him or sell him in my antique shop. Might be the kind of thing that I could get some money back on) and a Lefton Snowman Toothpick Holder for $2.00! That was a great find! Love the Mitford Snowmen. Here is a picture on Ebay: (The Snowman Toothpick holder is on the far right)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Vintage-Christ...=item4d137ff4cf
Posted by: hallmarkqueen

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 07:53 PM

is it me our do you just have to buy even if you do not need hallmark finds at yard sale, flea markets and thrift stores, does anyone know of hallmarks anoynomus lol we may need to sign up..

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 08:03 PM

my find this weekend was a 2004 sister at a flea market for 1.00 yeah for me... did i need it no, did i want it yes, did i buy it yes, haha

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: hallmarkqueen
did i need it no, did i want it yes, did i buy it yes, haha

Technically, that statement can apply to all of us. We don't need the ornaments, but we want them, so we buy them!

I have no sisters. frown It's kind of a bummer that Hallmark always does sisters ornaments instead of sister/brother or brothers ornaments. Same with always doing mother/daughter. Some mothers only have sons, and some would like to have father/daughter or father/son ornaments. That's why Making Memories is such a good series. You cannot tell if the snowpeople are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc. They can be anything you want.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 08:42 PM

is it me our do you just have to buy even if you do not need hallmark finds at yard sale, flea markets and thrift stores, does anyone know of hallmarks anoynomus lol we may need to sign up..

It's hard sometimes, particularly with the vintage Hallmark ornaments!

Luckdragon, I never thought about the how the Making Memories ornament series is gender neutral. Knowing that makes me like the series more, though I didn't collect it. I have a difficult time finding non-licensed ornaments for boys (which is why the ending of the Kringleville series was such a disappointment).

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/20/13 09:13 PM

so aree should be for brother sister aunt uncle etc

Re: Thrift store find - 10/24/13 06:46 PM

I stopped in a goodwill after work and found a 2002 sweet tooth treats and all the ornaments stored still in the orig wrap under the head that twist off.. for 1.95 happy about that.
Posted by: JDortch

Re: Thrift store find - 10/24/13 07:58 PM

Saturday afternoon I went to the flea market and found 1976 Angel Twirl About for $1.00 and 1977 Acrylic Drummer Boy for .50. I found a few others that I did not need and left those for somebody else to discover.
Posted by: hallmark*kid

Re: Thrift store find - 10/25/13 04:18 PM

Stopped by the local Goodwill today. They had a bunch of Christmas stuff on one aisle. They had clear plastic bags filled with ornaments. Each bag was marked $1.51. Quite a few of them had unboxed Hallmark ornaments in them.

I ended up buying one sack. Mainly for the Peanuts Kurt Adler ball ornament that was inside but was pleased to find a 1976 Yesteryear Santa as well. The rest of the bag had ball ornaments I was not interested in, so I donated them back.

I'm going to try to stop by once a week to see what else they put out. Last year, exactly one week after Christmas they put about 50 Hallmark ornaments out. All were marked 1/2 off box price plus all Christmas was 50% off. I found some pretty good deals but thought it was strange they waited til after Christmas. I guess someone came by and donated a ton of stuff they purged.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/25/13 06:17 PM

Yesterday I stopped by a Goodwill store to see what they had in their holiday aisle (and other aisles where things have wandered off to find a new home). They had the first four of the Sarah, Plain and Tall homes for something like $2.99 apiece. I didn't pay much attention to them since I already have them and mine were all signed by the artist. The last time I was there they had an empty box from 2009's Cool Decade that had the bubble plastic in it. I didn't find the ornament elsewhere on the shelf so I figure someone bought it either not knowing the box was there or to get a better price on it.
Posted by: jimicnkc

Re: Thrift store find - 10/25/13 07:04 PM

I hit the antique and thrift stores on Wednesday, I found a Sebastian and 1983 Duck merry miniatures in a bag of "printer drawer" stuff for $3.00. In the same mall, got the 1st 10 puppy loves for $3.00 each.

Hit an estate sale also and got the 1st Beauty of Birds, MIB for $6.00! One of the best Birthday's ever!

Re: Thrift store find - 10/25/13 11:21 PM

What? You got Northern Cardinal MIB for $6 and the first ten Puppy Love series ornaments for $3 each? Wish I could have been there. Congrats (oh, and Happy Birthday too!).

Lisa
Posted by: Diana*

Re: Thrift store find - 10/26/13 02:28 AM

Wow Jimicnkc. Simply WOW.
Posted by: sugarshadow

Re: Thrift store find - 10/26/13 03:53 PM

In my area it also depends on the store, some only put them out around Christmas, others, all year round. Its hit or miss. One year my local Salvation Army had precious moment ornaments,they tossed the boxes frown but they wanted 19.99 for them, I told them they were crazy..another store prices them w/box for 1.99. Hallmarks are all priced differently, it depends who prices that day. About 3 years ago I found Frosty Friends #2 through #15 in boxes for .49cents each. Had fun that day.
Posted by: Deano

Re: Thrift store find - 10/27/13 08:39 AM

Saturday was a very good day to hit the thrift stores. I found a bag with the 1st clothpin sondier in a mint box and still in its plactic bag for 1.00 and in the same lot the miniature 6pc gardening mice too. The second store had 5 different rocking horses for 3.00, all had boxes but some were missing tags. My final stop was at a store that had 12 boxed sets of different merry miniatures in mint boxes for 9.98. Get out there and seek out those thrift stores as they seem to be putting out their christmas items as the halloween merchandise sell down.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/27/13 02:39 PM

I have never seen any of the clothspin soldiers at a thrift store. As I don't have that series, THAT would be a welcome find. Congrats!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 10/27/13 03:29 PM

Ooh! Nice finds everyone! I'd love to find the Beauty of Birds #1, especially.

Which Rocking Horses did you find, Deano? I've never found any Rocking Horse ornaments in thrift stores...despite searching. There were 3 series I wanted to find in thrift stores: Puppy Love, NH&S, & Rocking Horse. I found a Puppy Love once (one I had). I found NH&S #7 in its box once (with a bonus cord like what you use in a Candlelight Services ornament) and bought it since it was one I didn't have at the time, but I've yet to find a Rocking Horse. Even if it was one I had, I just want to see one in a thrift store.

Rocking Horse series is one I haven't seriously back-collected yet. I worked on NH&S a few years ago and am just missing Clara's Hallmark and the Police Cruiser. This year, I've been working on Christmas Windows and Santas From Around the World. Found out that while I was at work, I won USA African American and was the only bidder. Now, I just need one more.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/27/13 07:50 PM

Congratulations, i just love those thrify finds, my attic is going to crash through one day with all my finds...
Posted by: grahamcracker72

Re: Thrift store find - 10/27/13 08:46 PM

It wasn't a thrift store find but I got the 2008 The Little Window Shopper's REPAINT for $38 off eBay! Signed by Nello too.

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2008-Lit...ed_p_29877.html

Re: Thrift store find - 10/28/13 09:36 AM

Not a thrift store find; but, I did find the Yarn & Fabric Drummer Boy and another Yarn & Fabric Caroler Girl ornament for $1 each at an estate sale yesterday. Not the best find in the world; but, I was happy with them.

This was the same sale I was at last weekend where they had the Jonas Brothers, Prince of Persia, High School High Musical ornaments and today everything was marked down to $1 each at this sale (needed to clear the house out). Needless to say that even at a $1 I didn't buy any of these undesirables.

Re: Thrift store find - 10/28/13 09:59 AM

The rocking horses I found were 1992-1996 luckdragon. Sunday I happened upon a really junky thrift store and found the 1980 Bellringers ornament in its box for 1.50. Everybody keep looking!

Re: Thrift store find - 10/28/13 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: grahamcracker72
It wasn't a thrift store find but I got the 2008 The Little Window Shopper's REPAINT for $38 off eBay! Signed by Nello too.

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2008-Lit...ed_p_29877.html

Nice find! Maybe I'll decorate with Christmas Windows this year. I love that series!

Lisa
Posted by: StaceyN

Re: Thrift store find - 10/28/13 09:13 PM

WOW, lots of great finds lately. I'm especially envious of that repainted Window... Pretty SWEEEEET!

This afternoon I ran into the "icky" thrift store, that's located next to the post office. They have started putting out their Christmas items and the clerk said they'll "slam" the rest the day after Halloween. (I hope nothing gets broken. smile )

Re: Thrift store find - 10/28/13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Deano
The rocking horses I found were 1992-1996 luckdragon. Sunday I happened upon a really junky thrift store and found the 1980 Bellringers ornament in its box for 1.50. Everybody keep looking!

Nice! 1996 is one of my favorites, actually.

Seeing 1992 reminds me of what I saw today on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLMARK-KEEPSAK...=item1c384b9f90
I wonder if they accidentally added a zero...

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 12:17 PM

I attended 4 estate sales today and I purchased the following at the 4th and final sale:
For $2.00 #2 Snoopy & Friends (Skiiing)
For $.50 Peanuts Ball
For $.50 Peanuts Grandson
For $.50 Yesteryears Reindeer

I was thrilled to buy the Snoopy & Friends as that was one of the ornaments in that series I did not have (wasn't a fan of it; but, at $2; heck, i'll take it then!) I was also especially thrilled with the Yesteryears Reindeer. I was at an estate sale back in 2008 I think where I passed on this one when it was in a large grab bag for $22.50 at the half. Wasn't crazy about it; but, for $.50; heck, i'll take it!

I passed on A Spot of Christmas Cheer for $4. Had this one already and at $4 without the box; I felt it was high. This lady at that particular estate sale overprices everything and you can only seriously buy on the last day when she's 50% off on items $49 and below.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 12:18 PM

Oh I should also say that I bought 40 record albums at a $1 each at the first sale including about 8 Beatles Albums. They'll be going into the antique mall next week. I also bought other items to resell as well.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 01:58 PM

I stopped by the antique mall on my way to work today and found 3 of the 1975 Little Mircle balls, 1976 Soldier Twirl About, 1980 Tin Santa's Flight, 1982 Cookie Mouse, 1985 Rocking Horse, 1986 Popcorn Mouse, 1986 Heathcliff, and a couple dinosaur tree trimmers from 1987.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 01:59 PM

All the above along with other stuff in grab bags for $6.00 going to support the local animal rescue league.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 02:16 PM

Nice finds. Congrats!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/02/13 04:41 PM

Congrats on all your finds everyone.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/03/13 11:27 AM

great finds everybody!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/03/13 01:52 PM

Richard and JDortch, congrats on your terrific deals! Enjoy those ornaments.
P.S. to Richard - Beatles albums for $1! COOL!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/03/13 10:30 PM

Saturday I hit 3 different thrift stores and came away with 8 different twirl abouts and nostalgic ornaments for $1 to $2 each, two tender touches, a couple of motion ornaments for $3 ea and numerous other cardinal ornaments for no more than $5. I came home with two full tray boxes of ornaments and did leave some things behind due to lack of cash. Keep Looking.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/03/13 10:37 PM

Need to move to Kansas!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/04/13 03:59 PM

No wonder Dorothy wanted to get back to Kansas.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/04/13 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Deano
Saturday I hit 3 different thrift stores and came away with 8 different twirl abouts and nostalgic ornaments for $1 to $2 each, two tender touches, a couple of motion ornaments for $3 ea and numerous other cardinal ornaments for no more than $5. I came home with two full tray boxes of ornaments and did leave some things behind due to lack of cash. Keep Looking.

The last two years I was going to school near where Deano lives, and those thrift stores in that part of town did have some nice things. I'm hoping to get out and look at the stores closer to me soon. I really miss some of those stores compared to what I've been finding in my part of town!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/04/13 08:25 PM

No wonder Dorothy wanted to get back to Kansas.

[giggle]
Posted by: kindacowboy

Re: Thrift store find - 11/06/13 11:18 PM

I just found those four houses that you connect together for 50 cents each....I can't remember what year they were from or what they were called......

Re: Thrift store find - 11/07/13 12:25 AM

Caroling Cottages! Great find! Here's a link to how to make them work...

http://www.yulelog.com/forums/ubbthreads...true#Post183926

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/07/13 09:45 AM

THANKS

Re: Thrift store find - 11/08/13 12:41 AM

I made it to the thrift stores tonight. Had about 10 minutes at each store before they closed. Found some pretty Christmas things including a white shirt that I spilled tea on as I was walking into the house. Hate it when I do that...washing it now.

I'll post a picture later of those items but was amazed to find a bag with three Harry Potter ornaments for $1.99. They are some of the most highly detailed miniature ornaments I've come across in a very long time. They were licensed from Warner Brothers by Enesco Group in 2001 - ("Mouse over image to zoom")...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harry-Potter-Del...=item3384950aaa

What's interesting about them is that behind the miniature figurine is a mirror, and when you insert a miniature light bulb into the back of the ornament, a scene behind the mirror appears. It's a neat effect. Wish I could figure out a way to photograph it.

These ornaments - (the other is Harry flying on his broom) - are nice additions to my Harry Potter collection. Eventually I'll create a Halloween Harry Potter theme tree with them.

Lisa

Edit: Found a completed auction that shows both ornaments and the lighting effect. Click on link, scroll down, and look at all five pictures - (also note the level of detail by the artist; you can't see it in the picture, but the fingers on Harry's right hand are beautifully shaped and separated; the entire hand is an 1/8" wide)...

Copy and paste link below or click here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Enesco-Christmas-Ornament-Harry-Potter-Mirror-of-Erised-Quidditch-/141071490139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d8841c5b&nma=true&si=V3qSPnlV1y%252BRvlXxBlEx08rPPeI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Posted by: KCDawgs

Re: Thrift store find - 11/08/13 07:56 AM

I went to the local Thrift shop yesterday & checked out their ornaments. Didn't find a buried treasure smile However, when I was in line, the lady ahead of me had to run out to her car for more money & I noticed what she had laying on the counter. 1981 Rocking Horse! She bought it for $1.00 Yeah! I'm glad she found a treasure.
Also, am I the only one who has loaded their Christmas CD's into the car stereo already? I have been listening to "Holly Jolly Christmas" on the way to work all week! LOL

Re: Thrift store find - 11/08/13 02:30 PM

Lisa, I happened across a bunch of those HP ornaments the Christmas they came out at a local grocery store. I hadn't noticed them before Christmas, but then a huge stack of them appeared after Christmas at discount. I went a little crazy piling them in my cart.

A word of caution... not every light string bulb fits into the hole on the ornament for the effect. Some are too wide or bulky. I highly recommend you test your light string bulbs in the ornament to make sure it can be inserted before stringing your tree.

Congrats on your great find!

KCDawgs - somebody beat me to a #1 Rocking Horse by about 30 seconds. While I felt happy for them, I was kicking myself for not being quicker that morning. Better luck next time.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/08/13 03:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up Diana. I noticed that too. One ornament came with a light bulb, the other didn't, and just as you mentioned, it is smaller. At first I was disappointed, but happily, my GE light strings do fit (though the fit is a bit tight). I'm curious as to how many different ornaments in this style were made. So far I've found three on Ebay: riding the broom, looking in the mirror, walking along the corridor wall (which I bought on Ebay last night). I'm going to drop by the thrift store on the way to Open House this afternoon to see if I can find more HP ornaments.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/09/13 04:56 PM

I went to a thrift store yesterday that had put out their Christmas items the day before (Thursday the 7th) and I purchased the following:
Twirl A Bouts Angel (MIB)
Twirl A Bouts Partridge in a Pear Tree (MIB)
Lighted Lion King from 1994 w/o music (MIB)
1991 MOM (MIB)
Nostalgia Peace on Earth (NB)
Nostalgic Sled from 1984 (I Believe?) (NB)
Hallmark: Large House Candle with Victorian Couple in front of it
The First Original Singing Snowman Plus for $5.50 (Problem is the male snowman does not work; may just need a new battery on his side of the plush)

All were at very good prices. Most I paid was $4.50 for the Lion King for a friend. I got the adapter today for it.

I had stopped off at 2 other stores in this chain prior to this store (Was on my way to Minneapolis to see Sister Helen Prejean speak) and they were closed to prepare for their Mistleoe Mania events today. Was none too happy. May go to those stores on Monday; although, they are about a 50 minute drive one way.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/09/13 05:45 PM

Love those Twirl A Bouts ornaments. Congrats Duluth_Collector!

I had the best bit of luck today. Yesterday, I bought the rest of the Stand-up Skeleton ornaments on sale for the grandchildren and a 3 year old I've become acquainted with who loves Halloween.

The problem with this ornament is that it falls over easily. While at the thrift store today, I came across the Hallmark Every Kid's a Star! display stand. Took it home to try with the ornament, and what do you know, after I added a jump ring, it worked perfectly. And it's painted black. Here's the picture...

Bought more on Ebay for the kid's ornaments. I'm a happy girl!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/09/13 09:18 PM

Tired of working so decided to take the weekend off. Went back to the thrift stores one more time. Value Village had some out, three end caps and some wall space, but not putting out the good stuff yet. Goodwill had less out, but found this little guy, mint in box, buried in the non-holiday decorative collectables for $1.99...

Skiing Fox, 1983 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1983-Skiing-Fox_p_32248.html

Now I have two. I was told they'll begin putting Christmas out just before or after Thankgiving. Waiting, waiting, waiting, patiently waiting...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/09/13 09:30 PM

Nice find Lisa! That's actually one that I have never seen in my travels.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/09/13 11:39 PM

Found at Salvation Army for 99 cents...Santas Magic sack colorway

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2005-Santas-Magic-Sack--COLORWAY_p_11162.html

Also at Salvation, in box for 5.99
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/Peanuts-Musical-Snow-Globe-_p_11320.html

Last month--in box--2.00

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1979-Tiffany-Angel-Tree-Topper--NB_p_11255.html

and another Polish pottery coffee cup!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/10/13 11:20 AM

LouisaMay, I don't recall seeing Santa's Magic Sack. Missed it somehow. I'm curious, what's the lighting effect?

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/10/13 08:36 PM

Got out today but the thrift stores were pretty picked over but did manage to find a Cycling Santa from 1982 mint in box with its tag for $2. I was elated!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/11/13 10:19 PM

I went to three more thrift stores today; but, didn't do as well. I only found a Mitford Snowman Candleholder for I think $2.50. Was a great price to pay for it since it originally retailed for $9.95. I am noticing a lot of Mitford items ending up in this chain of thrift stores. Must be time for those who bought this collection to downsize it?

I passed on many Keepsake ornaments. One I probably should have bought was the 1998 Grinch ornament (the first one); but, I don't think it has maintained it's value after all these years. I know at one time it went for a fairly good price.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/13/13 04:00 PM

I went to a thrift store that creeps me out. They bag glass balls and ceramic pieces and heavy resin items all in the same plastic bag. That just bums me out so much. Of course, there is broken glass everywhere. Very sad. BUT I have pretty good luck finding something of interest if I don't mind digging for treasures, not having boxes that are worth anything more than identifying the ornament, and do a good with clean up when I get home.

1975 Norman Rockwell Santa satin ball missing the cap. In a large bag of stuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-Ornamen...=item2a33608bb3

1994 Baking Tiny Treats. Badly damaged box. 99 cents (I've been wanting a second set of these for a long time.)
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1994-Baking-Tiny-Treats--DB--Miniature_p_12817.html

1993 Enesco no box. Can't find the name or a picture. It has two mice atop a skate blade that you attach to a boot. There is a mitten used as a sale. Part of a $1.99 bag with a bunch of other Christmas stuff, including the Kohl's cookie tray from last year.

1994 Enesco Expecting Joy very damaged box. Mouse knitting. 79 cents
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Expecting-Joy-Mother-Mouse-Knitting-Booties-Ornament-Enesco-/370895611186?nma=true&si=lR00zVgKY0RzWwpeuUoluqPmdQw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Light strand of flamingoes and palm trees 99 cents
http://www.christmascentral.com/p-149130...CFchxQgodcGoAtg

Re: Thrift store find - 11/13/13 04:30 PM

Didn't find any really WOW Hallmark at my favorite thrift store, but did come home with some goodies. I was actually more excited about some non-Hallmark items there.

Hallmark Satin ball ornaments 25 cents each:

1977 Christmas Mouse (cute!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221312651407?lpid=82

1978 Here Comes Santa (really nice art)
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1978-Here-Comes-Santa--NB_p_240.html

1978 Christmas Is - Antique Card Collection
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1978-Chr...DB_p_34772.html

1979 Granddaughter
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1979-Granddaughter--DB_p_8160.html

1984 Grandchild (has interesting mouse w/Santa hat topper)
http://www.ornamentmall.com/1984-Grandchilds-First-Christmas-Satin-Ball-_p_396.html

Hallmark Glass ball ornament 1977 Desert, Beauty of America (labeled rare and hard to find, but not much in value)
Unfortunately, like many glass balls, has spotting, otherwise I'd be happier about this 25 cent find.
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1977-Desert-Beauty-of-America--DB_p_157.html

Non-Hallmark:

1984 Waterford Crystal street light 75 cents
http://www.etsy.com/listing/153672131/wa...CFTGCQgod3XgAig

1991 Waterford crystal ball ornament (in a non-related box) $3
http://www.google.com/search?q=Waterford+ball+ornament&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RPiDUvfXOqrIigLHsIHQCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=719#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=0VqKwB-sad8s6M%3A%3Bn682vCzKksAWGM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.replacements.com%252Fimages%252Fimages5%252Fchina%252FC%252Fwaterford_annual_crystal_ball_ornament_no_box_P0000015811S0014T2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.replacements.com%252Fwebquote%252FCO_WATXMSOCRYBA.htm%3B428%3B450

Two ceramic angels from Saint Andrews Monastery in Valyermo, California.
Ebay auction states from the 70's? My two angels are very similar but are holding a flute and violin. $1 each
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200714734345?_trksid=p2048036

Metropolitan Museum of Art (MMA) bisque porcelain Polar Bear ornament.
Based on an art sculpture by Pompon. Maybe 1994. Very similar to this but slightly more detailed:
http://richmond.craigslist.org/hsh/4105195427.html

2008 Jim Shore Heartwood Creek Nativity Star $2
http://carolinawreathsinc.com/item_339/Nativity-Star-Ornament.htm

some Josef Originals flocked ornaments 75 cents each
Squirrel in Santa hat playing an accordion
Teddy bear in Santa hat playing drum (love this!)

Re: Thrift store find - 11/13/13 05:39 PM

Diana,

S-C-O-R-E!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/13/13 08:13 PM

Oh Diana, lucky you, so many treasures! I particularly like this one...

1978 Christmas Is - Antique Card Collection
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1978-Chr...DB_p_34772.html

Congrats!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 02:01 PM

I picked up a 1980 and 1981 Here comes Santa for $1.00 as well as a 1985 Santa's house....

yeepppppiiiii

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 02:30 PM

Oh wow.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 04:39 PM

Great find, Kindacowboy! Yeehaw!

found a no box Hallmark 2005 Nick & Christopher for 99 cents
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2005-Nick-and-Christopher-2_p_10375.html

A pretty Lenox 1988 Yuletide Santa in Sleigh for 50 cents. It's a glossy white porcelain flat disc with lots of piercings and holes cut out to look pretty lacy.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lenox-yuletide-ornament-santa-sleigh-250936782

Cute classic Winnie the Pooh as an angel ornament (marked Disney). Like the one on the left here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/384705993139681178/

1982 Margaret Furlong seashell angel in bisque porcelain (I had no idea these were collectible, just thought it was very pretty). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Margaret-Furlong...t-/151145588868

and a no tag Hallmark metal sign ornament "tis the Season" http://www.google.com/search?q=Hallmark+ornament+sign+tis+the+season&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mE-FUtKhA4a8jAKkloGADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=719#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Htdpwy4zbXM1VM%3A%3BaBERdpJbmHByTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fthumbs2.ebaystatic.com%252Fd%252Fl225%252Fm%252Fmyelpcu9-NSlWHqiNULkuzQ.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fsch%252Fi.html%253F_sacat%253DSee-All-Categories%2526_from%253DR40%2526_nkw%253DHallmark%252B'Tis%252BThe%252BSeason%252BInstant%252BScrapbook%252BAlbum%252B%252BNew%2526_sop%253D1%3B225%3B169

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 10:21 PM

kindacowboy; is the 1985 Santa's House that you are referring to the Lighted Mr. and Mrs. Claus or Christmas Candy Shoppe? Wasn't sure.

Congratulations!

I stopped in at a GoodWill store today and passed on the only thing I found close to wanting to buy and that was the 1991 Ski Trip Magic Ornament for $.49 NB. It wasn't one I really wanted and I didn't feel like breaking my $20 to purchase it.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 10:44 PM

Found 1976 Cardinals glass ball in a non-original box for 40 cents today at a thrift store.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 11:01 PM

Another favorite...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1976-Cardinals-_p_9427.html

Congrats luckdragon!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/14/13 11:18 PM

yes it is this one

https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1985-Mr-and-Mrs-Santa--LIGHTED--DB_p_8100.html

I think I will go back tomorrow and see if they put out more smile

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 09:37 AM

I like that one kindacowboy; it's one of my favorite lighted ornaments. It's very reminiscent of the Santa's Workshop ornament. Nice find!
Posted by: Qwackertoo

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 09:54 AM

nice finds kindacowboy. I too like that lighted one, it and the schoolhouse and the sugarplum cottage from that time frame are some of my older favorite simply lighted with a light stuck in them styled ornaments.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: kindacowboy
yes it is this one

https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1985-Mr-and-Mrs-Santa--LIGHTED--DB_p_8100.html

I think I will go back tomorrow and see if they put out more smile

Oh, really like that one too. Congrats kindacowboy!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 06:35 PM

You all have been killing me with your finds so stopped by two thrift stores while out doing errands.

Found one Hallmark ornament I liked - (sadly, it was the box only)...

Cookie Doe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-2004-Co...=item53fc60fe06

Norman Rockwell Nostalgic Playing Cards http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norman-Rockwell-...=item35cb2fe4e6

And not sure which of the last two is my favorite...

Restoration Hardware Beaded Snowflake

Flower Fairies Series III Pear Blossom Fairy

All three items, in box, never opened. Love it when people donate the beautiful gifts family and friends give them!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 06:56 PM

I've seen a few Hallmark ornaments and left most of them at the stores.

Also, I kept seeing the candy cane wreath pin, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-PIN-Chr...=item2c769ceb32

The third time I saw one I thought it must be an sign, so I bought it. Turns out I didn't have it!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/15/13 07:24 PM

I went to two different thrift stores today and I hope I can remember everything I found:

1980 Santa MIB for $.99
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1980-Santa-1980--SDB_p_412.html
1973 Christmas Is Love Glass Ball NB $.29
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1973-Christmas-Is-Love-_p_9194.html
1976 Bi-Centennial Mary Hamilton Charmers MIB $.99
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1976-Bicentennial-Charmers-_p_29850.html
1986 The Magi MIB for $.69
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1986-Magi-_p_9217.html

Was overall happy with my finds today! The Magi was one I had wanted for a while; but, did not actively seek out ever.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/16/13 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: grandma lise
Oh Lisa, I really like the CMB Flower Fairies, but adore that one in particular. For over a year he sat out on my desk at work. I used the metal stem they put in the box instead of the hanger.

In a very strange coincidence, I also found a CMB today. It's one I didn't have in my collection (I have about 30) so am absolutely thrilled: Lavender $4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290975762326?lpid=82

Also picked up one of the animated plush singing snowmen for $5: Piano Snowman
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SO-CUTE-WITH-Ori...o-/251377142611
I bought one at a thrift store a couple of years ago, but a day or two later it stopped working and I was dismayed to find that the battery compartment was really corroded. Drat. But now I have a replacement. Yippee!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/16/13 09:12 AM

sometimes if you take some sand paper to the corroded area it can work again.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/16/13 07:51 PM

After reading all the post I ventured too the nearest goodwill and found
[quote][/quote]
Star Trek Deep Space Nine 97
" " " Runabout Rio Grande 99
" " Delta Flyer 02
" " Enterprise Vulcan Command Ship 04
" " Voyager 96.

Star Wars Naboo Royal Starship 01

Sleeping Beauty 99.

All in Mint Boxes. A little pricey at 4 each but I did not have them.

Dana

Re: Thrift store find - 11/17/13 09:16 AM

Yesterdays find was a convention tabletop piece of a fireplace with a stocking hanging from it and candles on the top by Duane Unhruh. I paid $3.
Posted by: KWBinIN

Re: Thrift store find - 11/17/13 09:47 AM

Found 1986 Santa's Snack"Lighted" SDB for $2.00 SDB was worn edge/corner. Dealer had others in same range $-wise but I already had. Still looking to complete my Twirl around series. without breaking the bank.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/17/13 09:35 PM

Today as I was making a trip north of KC I stopped in a downtown antique mall and found 2 Baby's First Christmas ball ornaments from 1978 for $4 each, one in box and one not. Also had a White Christmas musical ornament for $4 from 1984. Keep Looking!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/18/13 03:55 PM

I've been going to lots of thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales and there are even a few yard and garage sales still happening - I'm in VT and most yard sales end around Columbus Day.

Over the last few weeks I have found:

2 1978 Mrs. Snowman Merry Miniatures - 99 cents each
1983 Mouse On Cheese - $1.00
1984 Frosty Friends empty box frown - free
1985 New Home - damaged box - 99cents
1985 Windows Of The World #1 - no price tab - 45 cents
1986 Tipping The Scales - 45 cents
1988 Par For Santa - 45 cents
1989 Spirit of St. Nick - light and motion - $2.99
1993 Maxine - no price tab - $1.99
1993 Reindeer Champs Blitzen - $1.00
1994 Puppy Love - no box - 25 cents
2000 Self-Portrait Maxine

Probably the best find I had was the #1 Classic American Car 1957 corvette at a flea market. There were lots of ornaments there but they were more expensive than I wanted to pay for most of them.

Carol
Posted by: dragon

Re: Thrift store find - 11/18/13 09:27 PM

Still haven't found a good thrift store nearby since I moved but did hit a bonanza this weekend when I went to a local church Christmas Fair.

There was a woman set up with two 8' tables completely covered with Keepsakes priced $6 and up, pins, merry minis and a few other Hallmark things. Under the tables she had 5 large tubs of ornaments at $1, $2, $3, $4 and $5.

She told me she has a personal collection of over 6,000 ornaments and was selling off her extras. She had every ornament from 1973 - 2010 when she quit cold turkey and hasn't bought another ornament!

I didn't have a lot of time to go through them all but here's what I ended up with...

*I already have this but couldn't leave it behind!

I got for .25 each:
1989 Acorn Squirrel http://tinyurl.com/m6hnrmf
1989 Starlit Mouse* http://tinyurl.com/lo3sqdh

For $1 each:
1989 Baby Partridge* http://tinyurl.com/mayxs7x
1991 Night Before Christmas http://tinyurl.com/kkz8kjr
1991 Partridge in a Pear Tree http://tinyurl.com/lgunmxk http://tinyurl.com/mdtmewx
1994 Sharp Flat http://tinyurl.com/m8xyk2f
1993 Sneaking a Peek" (Enesco) http://tinyurl.com/lws7hz9

For $2:
1996 Time for a Treat http://tinyurl.com/mpns7o3
1997 Breezin' Along* http://tinyurl.com/lzyut7q
1997 Love to Sew* http://tinyurl.com/k5tkf56

For $5:
2004 Pedal Power http://tinyurl.com/l4jfcl8

For $6:
1992 Sew Sew Tiny* http://tinyurl.com/kz5m64p
2001 With Help from Pup* http://tinyurl.com/mncr2rj
2004 Santas From Around the World Germany http://tinyurl.com/mft4z57

Merry Miniatures .50 ea:
1991 Artist Mouse http://tinyurl.com/maklxj8
1991 Raccoon Thief http://tinyurl.com/l59cynt
1991 I Love Dad http://tinyurl.com/k2vbb3m
1991 Cat Witch http://tinyurl.com/l2rdeym
1992 Pumpkin http://tinyurl.com/mn4yqpv
1992 Mouse http://tinyurl.com/lrrq88f
1989 Baby Boy http://tinyurl.com/lcgrybc
1989 Baby Girl http://tinyurl.com/k69qpth
1990 Pilgrim Mouse http://tinyurl.com/k2nls33
1992 Pilgrim Beaver http://tinyurl.com/lpouwww
1993 Indian Squirrel http://tinyurl.com/mjrkrls
1988 Train Engine x 2 http://tinyurl.com/mtfgcu8
1989 Train Car x 2 http://tinyurl.com/n8vcsdh
1989 Babys First Christmas http://tinyurl.com/mmhzwba
1989 Elf http://tinyurl.com/n83pydr
1989 Joy Elf x 3 http://tinyurl.com/kxk3qjc
1989 Teacher Elf http://tinyurl.com/kfz8uoh
1992 Bear x 2 http://tinyurl.com/k7wrya3
1992 Jingle Bell Santa http://tinyurl.com/m794lne

And then I was out of money... wink

Karen

Re: Thrift store find - 11/18/13 10:29 PM

Now that's a jaw dropper...I don't even want to think about the value of those ornaments. I know because I've back collected most of them. Congrats Karen!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/19/13 05:37 AM

Thanks Lisa, I've edited the link so it should work now.

There were sooo many more I would have liked to buy but I'm happy with what I got!

Karen

Re: Thrift store find - 11/19/13 06:40 PM

I found 1998 North Pole Reserve MIB for $1.41 today.

Also got lucky and bought the last Big Box of 64! at Kohl's! The local stores seem to have sold out of it. Shame that Kohl's didn't have a percent off sale, but I didn't want to chance it.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/20/13 12:00 AM

So I went back to the same thrift store yesterday and voila I found these

1982 cycling santa
https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1982-Cycling-Santa-_p_591.html

1976 Partridge Twirlabout
https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1976-Partridge-Twirl-About--BNT_p_117.html

1980 Carousel #3
https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1980-Carousel-Series-3--SDB_p_363.html

1984 Nostalgic Sled
https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1984-Nostalgic-Sled-_p_913.html

and this Crate and Barrel ornament stand
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRATE-AND-BARREL...=item27dae998f0

I think I will go back tomorrow smile

Re: Thrift store find - 11/20/13 12:11 AM

kindacowboy; congratulations on some great ornaments! I am jealous of Carousel #3 (I may or may not have this one? Not sure?) I also found that Nostalgic Sled ornament

Today I went to a thrift shop on my way down to Mankato to tend to my booth at the antique mall, add more Christmas items, and partake in dealer night (open house for the dealers) At this thrift shop I bought the Marys Angels music box from I think 1998 to commemorate the anniversary of Keepsakes (I can be wrong about the year though as I am not 100% confident in that) I bought it for $6.00 and I bought the first Pressed Tin Santa for $.50 NB.

I passed on several keepsake ornaments. They included quite a few of the Nostalgic Houses and Shops ornaments, Laser Creations Angel, and others. I also passed on a couple of Carlton ornaments I wanted; but, prices were too high. They wanted $8.00 for one Carlton ornament that originally sold for $22 (Simpler Times). I would have bought it if the price was lower. I know this is a chan of thrift stores where the profits go to good causes; but, I couldn't see myself paying that much for it.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/20/13 10:59 AM

I love reading about everyones finds! Lets keep up the good luck!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/21/13 05:07 PM

I HAVE IN MY HAPPY LITTLE HANDS A 2002 TOYMAKER SANTA smile

MINE MINE MINE. $5.99

AND also a Pointsettia Fairy for the same price

Re: Thrift store find - 11/21/13 07:20 PM

Is the 2002 Toymaker Santa a rare one in the series? Congratulations Kindacowboy!

Re: Thrift store find - 11/21/13 11:34 PM

Yes and I have waited 11 years to own him! I missed him because I tried to wait until after Christmas and lost that bet...

Re: Thrift store find - 11/21/13 11:40 PM

I found a snowman note cube with a pretty light green ribbon for $1.99. It replaces the one I found in the thrift stores last year. Little finds like this that are immediately useful make me happy...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/22/13 02:38 AM

Tonight I stopped by the Savers store near my house. In Kansas City the Savers stores benefit the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization. Two of my friends said that they were shopping at one of the Savers stores and found things they had donated. We had to laugh about that.

I found about 5 of the 2005 Every Kid's a Star basketball ornament (MIMB) for $2.99, a 2009 Tom and Jerry: A Cat-and-Mouse Christmas (nice box, no packing, the book had a small mark on it) for $2.99, and one other one that I can't remember (it was in a bag with some other stuff I didn't want). But I couldn't forget the one that made me laugh: for $3.99 they had the 1997 Away to the Window. I left without spending any money there.

Last week I went to the Goodwill store nearest my house. They had put their Hallmark ornaments on some shelves by the cash registers. I asked the guy who was doing some stocking if they had a specific day when they stocked that display and he said they just did it when they had time and they try to put the nicer things there. I think I bought all of the Keepsake ornaments they had there (and none were back in the regular section) and I plan to go back tomorrow when I'm out running errands. For 99 cents apiece I got the 2004 Cool Decade, the 1991 and 1992 Collector's Plates without the display stands (I picked these up for a friend and if she doesn't want them I'll find a home elsewhere), the 1990 Baby Unicorn and the 1991 New Home (at the price and since it's so cute it had to come home with me even though we didn't have a new home that year). I splurged on the 1993 Lou Rankin Polar Bear by paying $1.99 for it.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/22/13 06:46 PM

I stopped at my local thrift store today and found the entire set of nativity miniatures and 2 prototyes. The 1992 Jingle Bell Santa and the never produced Bear with wheelbarrow. Entire bag was $6.00!

Posted by: seanart

Re: Thrift store find - 11/23/13 03:07 PM

Found the 1979 Christmas Carousel today-no box. $2.00

Re: Thrift store find - 11/23/13 06:55 PM

my luck has ended....nothing today frown

Re: Thrift store find - 11/23/13 07:17 PM

My luck hasn't started...[giggle]...still dropping by each week on Thursdays or Fridays.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/23/13 10:20 PM

Well maybe I will have transferred it to you! smile

Re: Thrift store find - 11/23/13 11:09 PM

Today I found the first and second Mary's Angels in a grab bag at a thrift store for $7. There were 5 other Hallmark ornaments in the bag also but the Mary's Angels were by far the best things in them. Keep looking.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/24/13 01:20 PM

Enjoying hearing all your finds!
Found at thrift store for 1.98...box but taped to death

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Cuddly-Lamb_p_2357.html

At an estate sale for 5.00...in box..1980 cardinals/ball

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1980-Christmas-Cardinals-_p_9203.html

Re: Thrift store find - 11/24/13 08:19 PM

I got Bluebell's box one day. Daisy was inside. Hoping to find Bluebell with or with out the box someday. Only need 5 more to finish that series.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/24/13 11:09 PM

Found the Frostlight Faeries tree topper tonight, but she was too expensive, $19.99. It was nice to see her up close after all these years. I thought she might work for my Fairy Messenger theme tree, but not sure.

Found lots of other Hallmark, but none came home with me. My favorite find was the Mrs. Claus stocking hanger, which I already have.

Will post a picture of my non-Hallmark finds later - (Potter Barn, Party Lite, Kurt S. Adler, and a nice variety of glass ornaments). Spent a couple of hours at Value Village, had a lot of fun!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/24/13 11:20 PM

I had some good finds this week. My favorite was the ambassador dog in stocking in a bag with other hallmarks for $0.55. Among my finds I also found Mrs. Claus' Chair for $0.50 and a reading elf stocking holder for $0.50.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/24/13 11:22 PM

I really like the Elf stocking holder. Got him on Ebay a few years ago to go with my Santa and Mrs. Claus. Congrats!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLMARK-STORYTI...=item4d157ac20e

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 11/25/13 11:06 PM

I found the 2000 porcelain ANgel Of Promise for $1.00 mint in the box today.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/26/13 07:34 PM

Found the 1970s Hallmark Mr. and Mrs. Snowman salt and pepper shaker set MIB for 40 cents today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hallmark...=item43c243a9e9
Someone donated them with the salt and pepper still in them. Yuck. So, I'm soaking them overnight to get the salt/pepper all the way out. I won't be using them as salt and pepper shakers. They're just cute little statues to me.

I also found a vintage cardboard cutout of a caroling girl for 10 cents.

I found a picture of it:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/211176670000651360/
It's the girl in the red cloak caroling next to the streetlight. I LOVE vintage cardboard cutouts, so I couldn't resist. Especially for 10 cents with no creases, color loss, etc. It's very mint.
Posted by: peimom

Re: Thrift store find - 11/30/13 02:33 PM

I found the 1977 Yesteryears Angel for 99 cents. It was glued to a bright blue plastic base. I separated it from the plastic and hung her on the tree.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/30/13 05:09 PM

Found Nightmare Before Christmas Ornament. Carlton 98 Opus N Bill, 1982 kitten, 1982 cookie mouse, 93 Barbie, 1977/ 1978 baby's first christmas. .50 each.
Posted by: Eeyore4President

Re: Thrift store find - 11/30/13 06:14 PM

I was a shop that had a Black Friday sale where everything in the store was on sale for 1/2 price. I found one of the early Easter merry miniature pieces...the 1974 chick on the grass with the egg shell on it's head (in mint condition).....it was marked for 15 cents....so got it for 7.5 cents!!! Hooked on Hallmark site has it listed for almost $350.

Re: Thrift store find - 11/30/13 06:15 PM

That is GREAT!

Re: Thrift store find - 12/05/13 07:40 PM

I was running early this morning (shocking!) and had about 15 minutes to kill so I stopped in at Habitat for Humanity's Restore this morning. They were just starting to put Christmas stuff out so the woman running the place told me I could just look through the boxes. I found six cute little Santas for a total of $5. I just love these little guys!

1988 Hoe-Hoe-Hoe! http://tinyurl.com/k7mhpyo
1988 Love Santa http://tinyurl.com/l958pgw
1988 Polar Bowler http://tinyurl.com/m7mvful
1989 North Pole Jogger http://tinyurl.com/klo2doc
1989 Sea Santa http://tinyurl.com/kca5l5b
1992 Santa's Roundup http://tinyurl.com/me297uw

All in boxes but they're pretty ick so I'll probably toss them. Later in the day I stopped in at Salvation Army. They only had two Hallmarks, Mr. & Mrs. Claus #9 with poor Santa missing a leg for .49 and Gift Bearer #4 for $6.95. Neither came home with me but I'm really happy with my little Santas!

Karen
Posted by: grahamcracker72

Re: Thrift store find - 12/05/13 09:57 PM

We stopped in to Salvation Army tonight and found the following.

1980 Joy https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1980-Joy--NB_p_8280.html .99 no box

1975 Rocking Horse https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1975-Rocking-Horse--SDB_p_29245.html .99 no box

2012 Two Turtle Doves https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2012-Tw...12_p_33980.html .99 no box

1984 Polar Bear Drummer https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1984-Polar-Bear-Drummer-_p_10952.html .69 no box

2004 Maxine's "Crabby Mall-idays" https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2004-Maxines-Crabby-Mall-idays--MAGIC_p_7267.html .99 Still in Box

1989 New Home https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1989-New-Home--Hard-to-Find_p_1899.html .69 no box

1982 Currier and Ives https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1982-Currier-and-Ives--SDB_p_33425.html .99 damaged box

1981 25th Christmas Together https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1981-25th-Christmas-Together_p_11980.html .99 damaged box

1984 Norman Rockwell #5 https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1984-Norman-Rockwell-5--Caught-Napping_p_911.html .99 no box

1981 Christmas Friendship https://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1981-Christmas-Friendship_p_484.html .99 no box

We were the most Happy about the Rocking Horse!! And I have never been able to find more than 1 Hallmark ornament at any of the thrift stores...I guess we got lucky!

Re: Thrift store find - 12/05/13 10:37 PM

grahamcracker; what a wonderful find with the Nostalgia Rocking Horse! Those Nostalgia ornaments appear to be popping up lately at the thrift stores! I may finally get out of the frozen winter tundra tomorrow and may thrift. Been a while.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/05/13 10:50 PM

Great finds! What a surprise there were so many at one store. You did great! Love that rocking horse nostalgia ornament. What a shock there was a 2012 ornament in there, too.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/08/13 07:56 PM

This weekend I went to 2 Goodwills, Salvation Army and an estate sale. I bought:

2007 9420T John Deere Tractor - $1.00
1984 The Miracle Of Love - 99 cents (I was married in 1984)
1979 Holiday Highlights Angel - 99 cents
1994 Holly Jolly Santa KOC - no box - 99 cents - this one has "For display only Not for resale"
1991 Friendship Tree - no box - 50 cents
2004 Gift Of Friendship - no box - $1.00

My favorite find was the Magnetic Countdown To Christmas still in the package for $2.99.

I passed on several ornaments at the Salvation Army because they were $2 - $5 and nothing special. I also passed on a couple of the Christmas Kitty series, one of the Heavenly Angel series and a large red cookies plate at Goodwill.

Carol

Re: Thrift store find - 12/08/13 10:17 PM

Very good finds Carol! Was the large red cookie plate a snowflake pattern or something similar to that? We received that plate as a Christmas present from our club sponsors back in 2005. Was a nice gift!

I was at Savers on Friday and passed on several ornaments! Didn't need them and didn't see anything that I had to have! I did see Dept. 56 priced starting at $14.99 and higher. Some were in the $20+ range.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/08/13 10:26 PM

The plate had cookies written all around the edge and some snowflakes. It was fairly large and all I could think was storage issues. I think if it had been a little smaller, it probably would have come home with me.

Here's a link to one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLMARK-RED-COO...=item33876163b6

Carol

Re: Thrift store find - 12/09/13 08:47 AM

Oh yes that is the one! Ours is stored in a plastic tote somewhere upstairs. It's not as bad to store as you think and it's a fairly nice sized platter for Christmas Cookies especially for a large Christmas gathering.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/09/13 09:57 AM

I had one and broke it leaving my Son's house. All over their driveway.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 09:00 AM

Went back to Goodwill yesterday but the red cookie plate was gone. I did have a nice non-Hallmark find - a box of 4 reproduction Shiny Brite teardrop ornaments with tinsel inside for $2.99.

Carol
Posted by: hallmark*kid

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 09:22 AM

Stopped in Goodwill yesterday. Lots and lots of Christmas stuff out. Found a few Hallmark items, but only ended up buying one ornament. The 2012 Club Netherlands Santas from Around the World. Was a bit surprised to see so new of an ornament and although I do already own it, I just love this series and could not pass it up for $2.02!

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 10:26 AM

Carolfs, it's disappointing when we leave an item behind only to go back later and find it's gone. I really struggled with finding a way to store that platter. Finally ended up storing it under a deep shelving unit. Hopefully, you'll come across it again!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 11:28 AM

Can I say I was happy that it was gone and I hope it found a great home? :-) I really don't need another hard to store item especially one that won't get used too often. I know that if I really wanted it, it would have come home with me the day I first saw it.

Carol

Carolfs, it's disappointing when we leave an item behind only to go back later and find it's gone. I really struggled with finding a way to store that platter. Finally ended up storing it under a deep shelving unit. Hopefully, you'll come across it again!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 05:19 PM

I stored mine upside down under my bed. No problem at all.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 12/11/13 07:10 PM

Okay, got the furnace repaired. We have heat again. This girl is heading out to the thrifts stores...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 12:19 AM

Fun night thrift store shopping...

Coming to See Santa, 1995, $9.99 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1995-Coming-to-See-Santa--Magic_p_3690.html

Christmas Angel Tree-Topper, 99 cents http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Hallmark-Ch...=item27dbd2e584

Nostalgic Houses and Shops, 1992, no box, 99 cents http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1992-Nostalgic-House-9_p_2748.html

Joy to the World (Peanuts), 1978, no box, $1.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNOOPY-PEANUTS-G...=item19e57165ca

Oh, and this retro Swingline stapler, $2.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8-Deluxe...=item27d8f09a31

And a set of 4 gold pear placecard holders, $2.99 - (I thought I could covert them into ornaments smile ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-12-Gold-Pear...=item33887f45d1

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 10:05 AM

Very nice ornaments Lisa! Coming To See Santa is one of my favorite Magic ornaments of all time!

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 12:21 PM

Everybody is finding such great things at the thrift stores. Makes me want to go out looking again today!

Carol

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 08:41 PM

Today I went to a thrift store I don't normally shop and made a $1.25 purchase for a stocking for our puppy. On the way out, in a box marked "free with purchase" I saw a 1982 Cookie Mouse, no box. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIB-1982-Hallmar...=item43c300ba42

I asked what it was doing in there and the little old lady said "it's broken dear". I explained to her it's not broken, that's the bite the mouse took.

I donated .50 cents and happily took the "broken" ornament.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 09:03 PM

Oh Stacey that's a cute one! Great story to go with it as well. :-)

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 11:20 PM

Finds like that are so much fun. It's a cutie Stacey!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/12/13 11:57 PM

I don't think I've seen that stained glass looking topper before, Lisa. Nice!

Stacey, that is funny about the little mouse ornament.

I hit several thrift stores a few days ago. At the first I found five old Hallmark plastic pins for ten cents each (plus a few Russ and other brands). Also an old Hallmark Betsey Clark satin ball ornament for $1. I think have it already, but it's so cute I don't mind duplicates.

At the next thrift store I found a pin for $1. Wow 10 times the price at the first place. LOL. They had a huge basket full of Hallmark ornaments, but they were all priced between $6 and $10 each and I just thought that was too much for no box ornaments so left them all there. Did find one they didn't realize was Hallmark hanging on the tree - Perky Penguin no box for $1.

Third place didn't have anything Hallmark. Although I did find an old Tom Swift novel that will be a gift.

So not much, but I did have fun, and am super happy with the ten cent pins. I use pins in various ways (on the stuffed tree, on wall hangings, pinned to branches to look like ornaments) so these will get used.

Oh, btw - did see a pin used in an interesting way - they made a little scene around it in a glass ball with a hole cut out to view the scene. Very cute.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/13/13 07:21 AM

Diana, I love the anticipation of finding collectibles I like this time of year, but the pricing can be joy killer! I found quite a few magic ornaments this year, but they wanted $9.99 for them so only got one. Already have it, but it's a favorite so why not?

My husband has a good sized collection of Tom Swift books from his childhood. I wonder if our grandson would enjoy reading them. Will have to ask Tom if he knows where they are.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/13/13 10:33 PM

Popped into a different thrift store today and found some bargains:

Hallmark no box ornaments 25 cents each
1977 Joy clear acrylic http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1977-Joy_p_9253.html
1991 Gift of Joy (with rotating metallic letters) in fantastic condition http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Gift-of-Joy--letters-rotate_p_2393.html
I've never seen this before and really like it! 1987 Merry Christmas Wooden Block http://tinyurl.com/k3j7fe6
1977 Grandma Moses glass ball (rare) with some spotting http://tinyurl.com/mznhw5vhttp://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1976-Bicentennial-Commemorative-_p_9251.html
Santa button cover (only Santa, no Ho Ho Ho covers) http://tinyurl.com/nneue84
Teddy bear holding star pin http://tinyurl.com/lllg24v

Non-Hallmark no box ornaments 25 cents each
Silvestri large, old-fashioned bear in a red vest ornament
unmarked mercury glass candle clip on...looks a bit like these but with a gold candle not red: http://tinyurl.com/kx4qmhr
1980 Current satin Elf and Chipmunk ornament (too cute!) http://tinyurl.com/mumourp
1980 Current satin caroling cats http://tinyurl.com/pgo5fxv
1979 Current satin parade of animals http://tinyurl.com/ocuouaz
Vintage Avon fabric (double sided) angel ornament http://tinyurl.com/ld5kg54

couldn't find images of either of these very vintage fabric figural pieces:
Made in Japan quilted turtle wearing a top hat
Russ Berrie two mice sleeping in a red (crayon-shaped) box.

Snowbabies acrylic ice ledges in battered box $2.50 http://tinyurl.com/kpjjb3j

(Thanks to Dragon Karen for the tiny url site and tutorial.)

Re: Thrift store find - 12/13/13 10:35 PM

I found the 2004 Disney 102 Dalmations Oddball, little dipper and Domino with no box for $1.07 with tax.

I didn't have it.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/13/13 11:02 PM

Oh Diana, I really like the Current, Inc. satin ball ornament that features and elf and rabbit. It's funny, as I looked at it I reflected on how much I enjoyed artwork by Current, Inc. growing up. And then I realized it IS their artwork.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/14/13 08:34 PM

Went to a few thrift stores today. I found:

1976 Soldier Twirl About - 50 cents
Rocking Horse Pin - $1.00
2002, 2004, 2007 Cool Decade - 99 cents each
2000 Daughter - 99 cents

There were a few I passed on - mostly sister, granddaughter, grandson ornaments.

Carol

Re: Thrift store find - 12/14/13 10:45 PM

Found today in a 2.00 bag.

1978 Angel holding star.
1979 Skating Snowman.

I have them both but, really like the older ones and never pass on them.

Dana

Re: Thrift store find - 12/14/13 11:57 PM

Just got home. Found a few things tonight for $2.99 each...

Twirl-About, 1978, no box http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1978-Dove--Twirl-About--BNT_p_8147.html

Peanuts #2 (Magic), 1992 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1992-Peanuts-2--DB_p_11458.html

Mischievous Hiding Elves, 2011, no box, one missing http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2011-Mischievous-Hiding-Elves_p_33475.html

I plugged in the magic ornament when I got home. It works great!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 07:56 AM

Diana, I love those Current balls, the animals are always so sweet and charming! I'd love to see a picture of the quilted turtle in top hat too.

Lisa, I got the Mischievous Hiding Elves after Christmas 2 years ago but never had them out til this year. They're my new favorite plaything this year! If I ever find them out thrifting, whether single or a pair, they're coming home with me!

Great finds everybody!

Karen

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 08:59 AM

Karen, I think I got six sets of the Mischievous Hiding Elves the year they came out. I haven't played with mine yet, but think they'd be fun too!

How do you use them? Do you put them on the tree or around the house?

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 09:35 AM

Right now they are hanging onto the 5 headed floor lamp but they've been moving around a bit, sort of my own version of the Elf on the Shelf. (and since there aren't any kids living here it's only my husband left saying "where'd those things come from?") wink

Karen
Posted by: DeniseC

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 12:54 PM

I found a 1979 twirl about - Christmas Heart - in the original box for $2.00. It is in perfect condition.

DeniseC

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dragon
...(and since there aren't any kids living here it's only my husband left saying "where'd those things come from?") wink

Karen

I thought we were all kids at Christmas!

I'll have to bring my recent purchases closer to my computer so I can share about some of the fun things I found. I went to the store that puts things in bags with other things you probably don't want the other night and got a few nice things there. I took a shopping bag of the leftovers to my local club meeting and offered them to anyone who wanted them and asked that they give anywhere from a nickel to a quarter to go towards our next meal that we're taking to the Ronald McDonald Children's House since I'd probably price things in that range if I had a garage sale and sold them there. I got $1.25! The rest will go to a thrift store to be resold. The place that bags things up has a sign that you can't buy opened bags so I figure they won't take the leftovers at the time of purchase.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 02:45 PM

Nancy, both of our local thrift stores allow me donate back anything from my current purchases. For me it's unwanted clutter. Value Village even gives me a $3 off $10 purchase coupon.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 06:43 PM

Nancy, both of our local thrift stores allow me donate back anything from my current purchases. For me it's unwanted clutter. Value Village even gives me a $3 off $10 purchase coupon.

Lisa

We don't have Value Village here - I haven't seen one since the last time I went shopping in Indy. I found a bag with a hole in it and some things I didn't want along with something I did once at the store where I got most of this stuff, and they wouldn't let me just buy what I wanted. It all had to go back and be put back out for sale some other time. After that I just accepted that I would have to return the junk I didn't want somewhere (after taking out the broken stuff) if I wanted to buy the bags at this store. I just keep a box or shopping bag to put it all in.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 08:25 PM

One store here lets me donate somethings immediately back, but another has a weird policy that you can't open a plastic bag you've bought until after you leave the doors. The sales clerk suggested just taking my purchases to the car, and then opening up the bags and separating it between what I wanted to keep, and what I wanted to donate back. Then to bag that stuff back up and drop it back off with the person at the door. I thought it was odd (they have bins at the registers of stuff that people have changed their minds about so it should be fairly easy to put items in there) but whatever, at least some items I know I'd never use don't make it into my house.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/15/13 08:54 PM

Karen, I need to find my Mischievous Hiding Elves so I can play with them too!

Nancy and Diana, that would frustrate me too.

I went back out again tonight and found the 50th Anniversary, It's a Wonderful Life ornament for $4.99 and this time it's not broken!

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1996-Its-a-Wonderful-Life--bell-rings_p_4071.html

So now I have both, this one and the movie theater that I found last year or the year before...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Its-A-Wonderful-Life--Magic-_p_2418.html

I also found these Krebs Cardinal ball ornaments for $2.99...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-KREBS-CHRISTMAS-GLASS-BULBS-WHITE-FROSTED-SCENCE-WITH-CARDINAL-NIB-/380772691185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a7d22cf1&nma=true&si=V3qSPnlV1y%252BRvlXxBlEx08rPPeI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And some Martha Stewart shatterproof ball ornaments for $1.99 from the Confections collection, similar to these but in a matte finish, not glitter - (fuscia, baby pink, sky blue, baby blue and mint green) - for my candy theme tree...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Martha-Stewa...=item3a8776859b

Also a set of six, soft gold mirror balls and two of these Partylite tealight holders from the Paris Retro collection for $1.99 each...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Retired-Par...=item43c329fa07

I passed on this Hallmark stocking holder/music box for $3.99 but I was tempted...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-Wind-Up...=item4acbd78c25

Fun night!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/20/13 12:12 AM

I found the 1976 dough tree treat reindeer mint with no box for .54 with tax.

I was very happy.
I have the shepherd from that year.

I still need to find the Santa Claus and the angel

Re: Thrift store find - 12/20/13 01:13 AM

LOVE that reindeer! Great get, Susan.
I need two of that Santa, LOL. One to go with Nostalgia ornaments, one to go on Santa tree.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/20/13 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: susan in florida
I found the 1976 dough tree treat reindeer mint with no box for .54 with tax. I was very happy. I have the shepherd from that year. I still need to find the Santa Claus and the angel.

Congrats Susan! I've not come across any from that collection in thrift stores!

I managed to get out again today. All seasonal items at both stores were 50% off!

Three Hallmark ornaments came home with me...

Sweet Talk, 1991 for $1.50 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Sweet-Talk_p_2492.html

Abearnathy Bearinger, The Bearingers, 1993 for $1 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1993-Bearingers--Abearnathy_p_2960.html

A Pony for Christmas, ninth in series, 2006 for $2 http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2006-Pony-for-Christmas-9_p_11669.html

I also found three hand painted porcelain elves from The Christmas Ornament Collectors Club for $1 each. One is shown on the far left of the picture within this listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTMAS-ORNAME...=item2a309649d7

I was losing hope in my search for hand blown ball ornaments this year when, happily, I finally found six large, 10 cm, shiny gold ornaments in their original box for $2 - (similar to these; sold by the Bon Marche throughout the 90's)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-XLrg-10-cm-1...=item2c77d36c68

Another happy find was the book, The Christmas Tree: The Heart of Traditional Yuletide by Barbara Segall for $1.50...

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Tree-Bar...+Barbara+Segall

It's hard to stay out of the stores right now!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/21/13 02:14 AM

Had to go out, and this is what I found when I dropped by a thrift store for 20 minutes, and at 50% off...

For a Special Dad, 1991 (Enesco) for $1.50... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enesco-Treasury-...=item5401edf66b

Joan Walsh Anglund, 1979 for 50 cents... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1979-Joan-Walsh-Anglund--NB_p_8249.html

Chris Mouse Wreath, 6th in series, 1990 for $1.50... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1990-Chris-Mouse-6--SDB_p_13656.html

Baking Sweet Treats, 1994 for $2 - (missing bowl & rolling pin)... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1994-Baking-Tiny-Treats--Miniature-_p_29440.html

And 30 ball ornaments in hard to find colors for $3

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/21/13 01:31 PM

Took my friend to work and did another quick run through the thrift store this morning...

Santa's Key Man (Enesco; elf needs to be reattached) for $1.50... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enesco-Ornament-...=item54023ce6eb

Four street lamps, similar to the ones Karen's posted pictures of in her Christmas Window display yesterday, for $2

And another beautiful St. Nicholas display piece, this one holding a doll for $1.50. It's my absolute favorite find for this year. Picture to follow...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/21/13 01:47 PM

The colors on the St. Nicholas piece are so subtle, I missed him last night. His coat is soft, light green, and he's carrying a doll with his arm and sack over his shoulder. He stands 11 1/2" tall. I love him...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/S...zps74363754.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/S...zpsf1841e92.jpg

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/21/13 03:19 PM

Lisa, you've had some terrific finds. Agree your new Father Christmas is lovely. Looks Victorian in style/coloring. That Enesco piece is darling. I love Enesco details. Do you collect Chris Mouse? Other people seem to find them quite regularly, but I've only ever found one during my thrift shopping.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/21/13 03:38 PM

Diana, this is the first time I've found a Chris Mouse ornament in a thrift store. Still in the process of completing this collection. The one I found is a duplicate, but I may collect two sets so going to hang onto him.

What do you use to re-glue Enesco ornaments? And how do you do it Diana?

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/22/13 12:03 AM

Depends on what is broken where. Sometimes just regular super glue. I like Lock-tite that comes with a little brush applicator.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/22/13 10:20 AM

Thanks Diana. For Enesco ornaments, that have such small parts, that may be the way to go.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 12/22/13 06:06 PM

Latest grabs From Auction on Wednesday 12/18/13
2005 VIP gift Santas Magic Sack
2006 Limited edition Spirit of St. Nick (magic)
2008 VIP gift A Christmas Surprise
2009 VIP gift Sign of the Times
2010 Vip gift Seasons Treatings SE repaint
2011 repaint Let it Snow ! SE
2011 VIP gift Welcome Christmas SE repaint
2012 One Sweet Cookie SE
and 2002 Five Tiny Favorites (mini's) Can always use more of these for diaromas.
ALL for the price of $5.00 each. Apparently a store cleaning out back room. only reason I got these as I made up a flat and had to do choice opening at $5.00 no other bids so got all for $45.00 but there was only one of, Spirit of St. Nick, Sign of Times, Let it Snow & One Sweet Cupcake.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/23/13 05:57 PM

Warning to owners of 1978 Reindeer Chimes and 1980 Santa Mobile. I found both at the charity store and really wanted them. They were in the box perfect $2 each, until I picked them up. The green stuff in the bottom of each box had attached to them. I tried brushing off the crumbly stuff, but it was stuck on. So, please don't get disgusted, I spit on my finger and tried rubbing it off. That stuff had eaten into the metal! I don't know how many ornaments were packaged using this stuff, but be aware, it ruined these ornaments.

Re: Thrift store find - 12/27/13 09:33 AM

three new picks from antique mall
Notable Nutcracker for 3.00 the Associate gift version tho there was no price info on Yulelog.
Santas' from around the World
Germany & USA $13.00 each. cool

Re: Thrift store find - 01/04/14 09:09 PM

Picked up a bag with not 1, not 2 but 3 Halls family ornaments today at an antique mall that was marked down to 50 cents. They did not have their cards but all three had the corded tassel that they were issued with.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/04/14 09:15 PM

I LOVE finds like that. And what does that work out to? 17 cents an ornament? Congrats Deano!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 01:10 AM

Wow. Just wow. What years? Some of those are very beautiful.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 07:16 AM

I gotta start hitting the stores Deano hits... I have decided to back collect the Hall Family Ornaments... great find!!

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 05:53 PM

Flea Market finds on 01/04/14

1983 Jack Frost
1983 Frosty Friends #4 (was inside the Angel Treetopper box)
1984 Nostalgic Sled
1989 Wood Childhood Ornaments Truck #6
1998 Daughter
2000 Blessed Nativity The Shepherds (proud of these)
2001 Graceful Angel Mini Treetopper
2004 A Pony for Christmas #7
2008 Mischievous Kitten #10

$20.00 for all plus a White House Historical Society Ornament from 2004.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 06:17 PM

Congrats JDortch. It's fun revisiting the older ornaments. The Graceful Angel Tree Topper Miniature is pretty. I wonder, how tall is it?

And The Shepherds is particularly lovely, valuable too!

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2000-Shepherds--RARE_p_5587.html

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 06:53 PM

Ahh I saw the sheppards at the flea market the week before Christmas. For 5.00. Passed on them because, I thought I do not need them. I thought for 2 seconds they were hard to find but, left my phone in the car. So, was unable to confirm.

Dana
Posted by: Linda T in Indiana

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 08:11 PM

Fri. I found 1991 Forest Frolics 3, $1.50 NB; 1997 Victorian Christmas-Thomas Kinkade, $.50 in Box; 2001 Twas The Night Before Ready For Delivery $1.00 in Box. I have been finding a lot in the last 6 weeks.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/05/14 08:25 PM

Grandma Lise,

Graceful Angel measures exactly three inches high. Artist is LaDene Votruba.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/06/14 08:00 AM

The Shepherd's were selling for $100. so they have come down some.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 01/06/14 03:35 PM

My Halls family ornaments were from the years 83,90, and 93.
Posted by: Sue

Re: Thrift store find - 01/10/14 06:26 PM

Mischievous Hiding Elves, 2011, no box, one missing http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2011-Mischievous-Hiding-Elves_p_33475.html
Lisa

I got this after Christmas when it went to 75% off and really liked it when I hung it on the tree this year. However, when taking it down, I discovered that one of the arms is splitting where the color bands change. Rather disappointing....I think it started splitting because of being bent into different positions but that is what you are supposed to do with it!! Still awfully cute little guys!

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 01/10/14 07:04 PM

I've been reading all the posts and enjoying hearing about the great finds. It is so odd to hear about some of the same things I found this holiday season....never in my life did I ever expect to find any of the Hall family ornaments but it pays to look over everything carefully. What at first appeared to be a run of the mill thin round "gold" ornament turned out to be the 1980 ornament. The other one that I found was the 1984 cherub. If you are like me and had never seen one, both of these had The Halls and the date on the front....sort of clues you in with that.

My other top finds this year were:
1981 Frosty Friends...no box...I believe that completes the series for me (1.09)

1976 Twirl-about Partridge...1.00 (paid $20 earlier this year when I was at the Event but that one also included the box)

1978 Schneeberg Bell...no box but only 1.00

2005 BOB Cardinal...found it after Christmas when when Christmas merchandise was marked 75% off so I got it for 1.25 (with box)

Found another 1999 Dumbo's First Flight for 2.00...so that gives me two spares in case the feather breaks off the one I am using as has happened to me twice before.

Also got the First Mischievous Kittens for 1.00

Also got two different Lenox tea light holders...one with the holly leaves and one with a cardinal...paid about 5.00 for the first and $20 for the second but I love it.

Also found a Lenox holly tea kettle...never used...still had paper work inside and a plastic piece to protect the spout and the price sticker on the bottom (80.00). Paid 7.00.

Should try and get out to see if there is any Valentine's stuff out.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 01/10/14 08:05 PM

Oh Sue; what wonderful finds! You did very good this year! Good for you!

Re: Thrift store find - 01/10/14 08:58 PM

Wow Sue, first of all, I think it's amazing you found the 2005 Northern Cardinal in a thrift store, but to have gotten it for 75% off means it was passed over by a lot of customers. Lucky, lucky, lucky you!

Do you have all the Beauty of the Birds ornaments now?

The 1978 Schneeberg Bell and Holly and Poinsetta Ball are two of my favorite vintage Hallmark ornaments. Congrats on the Bell. Sadly, I don't recall finding any vintage Hallmark this year. Maybe I didn't get out enough. Will give it a good go next year!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 01/10/14 10:44 PM

Wow Sue great finds! 81 frosty is my favorite of the series. And I'm with Lisa schneeberg bell is one of my favorite hallmarks from the 70's. I also did not find many vintage ornaments at thrift stores. Overall I did not find many hallmarks this year compared to previous ones.

Dana

Re: Thrift store find - 01/12/14 03:20 PM

I found a raggedy Ann and Andy hallmark Valentine lapel pin. It's there heads above a red heart. I know it's from the 1970's. It's made in Hong Kong. I paid .59 cents for it.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/13/14 09:07 AM

Here are my two Halls Family ornaments....there were no cards with them but I am still curious as to whether they ended up in the thrift store because a collector bought them at an Event or collectible show or whether it was someone who actually received them in a card from the Halls and decided to get rid of some "stuff."

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 01/13/14 09:26 AM

Very good find.
Posted by: AnneTx

Re: Thrift store find - 01/16/14 04:11 PM

I always enjoy reading about the "finds" that others luck into but rarely find Hallmark ornaments at thrift stores or yard sales. Finally! Hit a couple of thrift stores today when I was out running errands. At a Goodwill, I found a boxed 1984 Hallmark "A Gift of Friendship" glass ball ornament for .99. It's pink with a very sweet message "Friendship is the happiest gift of all"

At another store, I found a bag for with 5 ornaments (no boxes) for $3.99:
2006 Waterford crystal "Baby's First Christmas" (still had label on it)Of course, our first granddaughter was born in January, 2007 so will have to find someone to give that to. It is quite pretty tho, shaped like a baby rattle.
2010 Hallmark Woofy Holidays (pet picture frame)
2012 Hallmark Baby's First Christmas (stuffed elephant one)
2013 Hallmark Forty Years of Memories (porcelain rocking horse)
2013 Hallmark A Kitchenette for Christmas

I was surprised to see the 2013 ornaments already showing up at at thrift store. Were these Christmas presents that someone didn't want? Sad.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/16/14 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: AnneTx
I was surprised to see the 2013 ornaments already showing up at at thrift store. Were these Christmas presents that someone didn't want? Sad.

Nice finds! And not sad, happy...(for us!). smile

Lisa
Posted by: seanart

Re: Thrift store find - 01/18/14 12:36 PM

Went poking around a thrift store this morning to see if anything turned up after Christmas was packed away and donations were made.
I found a sealed plastic bag with a bunch of Christmas napkins and dime store teddy bear, angel and gingerbread ornaments. I could see the 1978 Merry Miniature Joyful Elf in there.
Got home, unwadded the napkins and wrapped inside was the 1977 Yesteryear Angel- no box. Not bad for 2.00.

Re: Thrift store find - 01/18/14 12:58 PM

I've yet to see Yesteryears Angel in a thrift store.

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1977-Angel-Yesteryears--SDB_p_145.html

Congrats!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 01/18/14 03:12 PM

She is pretty.
Mary

Re: Thrift store find - 01/18/14 04:11 PM

I like that yesteryears angel as well. Found a couple over the years at the flea mkt/ garage sales.

Dana

Re: Thrift store find - 01/18/14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: AnneTx
I always enjoy reading about the "finds" that others luck into but rarely find Hallmark ornaments at thrift stores or yard sales. Finally! Hit a couple of thrift stores today when I was out running errands. At a Goodwill, I found a boxed 1984 Hallmark "A Gift of Friendship" glass ball ornament for .99. It's pink with a very sweet message "Friendship is the happiest gift of all"

At another store, I found a bag for with 5 ornaments (no boxes) for $3.99:
2006 Waterford crystal "Baby's First Christmas" (still had label on it)Of course, our first granddaughter was born in January, 2007 so will have to find someone to give that to. It is quite pretty tho, shaped like a baby rattle.
2010 Hallmark Woofy Holidays (pet picture frame)
2012 Hallmark Baby's First Christmas (stuffed elephant one)
2013 Hallmark Forty Years of Memories (porcelain rocking horse)
2013 Hallmark A Kitchenette for Christmas

Congratulations on finally finding Hallmark in a thrift store....you just have to stick with it!! And, yes, I think it is sad to see the current ornaments end up in a thrift store so quickly. I stopped giving my son and daughter and sister Hallmark ornaments when I finally realized that it is my passion and not theirs. Sure, my daughter and sister may get a very few Hallmark ornaments on their own but they are getting what they want and not what I think they would like.

In 2013 I found three Springbok puzzles...one was from that year...Gingerbread Fun! It was opened but all 400 pieces were there. Another one, Nature's Ornaments was also opened but I haven't worked that one yet (1000 pieces). The date on the box say 2010 but I still see it in the stores. I also got the Adore-ments! still sealed and only $3. Not sure of the date but I also still see this one in the privately owned stores. I think there are puzzle workers who thin out their puzzles every so often (I do once in awhile) or don't keep them once they are worked. A little different than ornaments though.

Sue
Pasadena, maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 01/19/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sue
I think there are puzzle workers who thin out their puzzles every so often (I do once in awhile) or don't keep them once they are worked. A little different than ornaments though.

My mom picks up Hallmark puzzles at estate and garage sales and I pick up the ones I see at the thrift stores. We often work puzzles when we're at my sister's house; if it's not done when we leave she collapses the card table and puts it under a bed until we come back. My mom takes a puzzle to the carousel museum so they have one to work while the museum is open and not much else is going on. One woman decided that since they had finished one of my mom's puzzles it should go away so she took it to the Goodwill store and traded it in. My mom is still annoyed by that since it wasn't that woman's puzzle and she didn't discuss it with my mom first - my mom wanted to keep the puzzle.

My mother-in-law had a puzzle she was working on, and when her brother was visiting he told her he hid 5 pieces. She finished the puzzle and was missing 5 pieces so she called him to see where they were. He told her he was just kidding and he didn't hide any pieces. She said she found two of them but never found the other 3 before putting the puzzle away. It was too funny that she was missing 5 pieces after he said that!
Posted by: Linda T in Indiana

Re: Thrift store find - 01/23/14 08:28 PM

Today I found a 2001 Sky's The Limit, Gee Bee R-1 Super Sportster in box, for 99 cents. I looked for ones on e-bay and sellers are wanting anywhere from $64 up to $120. What would be so special about this plane that a seller would think it would sell for such a high price?

Re: Thrift store find - 01/23/14 09:33 PM

Linda, I've always wondered about that too. It's sold in the $50 to $60 range for years. When the new Gee Bee was released this year, I worried I wouldn't be able to get it after Christmas. Lucked out. I got what must have been the display the morning of the 26th!

Fantastic find!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 01/23/14 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Linda T in Indiana
Today I found a 2001 Sky's The Limit, Gee Bee R-1 Super Sportster in box, for 99 cents. I looked for ones on e-bay and sellers are wanting anywhere from $64 up to $120. What would be so special about this plane that a seller would think it would sell for such a high price?
It's just like any Hallmark ornament that goes up in value on the secondary market - higher demand for it than there is product. Some of the early editions in that series were really over-produced. So stores started cutting back on orders, and then that year there were not many ordered, but it's a cute plane and sold out before Christmas. I bought one early that year as we love the movie The Rocketeer, and there is a Gee Bee that is featured significantly in it.

Congrats on a great find getting one for under a buck! Score.

Re: Thrift store find - 02/01/14 11:29 AM

Thrift store finds weren't plentiful for me this holiday season.

But, I found something today!
2001 Lighthouse Greetings #5 (with box) for 69 cents at Goodwill

I tested it out, and it works. It's my second one from the series. I found #2 in 2012 at a thrift store.
Posted by: giraffejean

Re: Thrift store find - 02/01/14 11:46 AM

I found a Yesteryear Angel in a bag of ornaments I found in a thrift store earlier this year. There were five other Hallmark ornaments w/o boxes in the bag , all for $2.99.
Posted by: pxsrdh

Re: Thrift store find - 02/05/14 12:50 PM

If I remember correctly, the 2010 Smiling Soldier was free if you bought ornaments at Premiere and Debut so I got one and just loved it. Then last summer I found the rest at the flea market. I would like to find 2 more to have a dozen.

Re: Thrift store find - 02/05/14 01:46 PM

Queli, those Smiling Soldier ornaments were quite a find. Congrats!

I've also collected everything in your display - (I think I have 6 of Smiling Soldier!). They represent some of my favorite Hallmark's original designs...

Smiling Soldier, 2010
Santa Sleigh Collection, 2009, by Edythe Kegrize
Snow Cozy, 2002-2005, by Linda Sickman
Li'l Locomotive, 2009, by Nello Williams
Caboose, Noel R.R., 1998, by Linda Sickman

Doll furniture is such an interesting way to display miniature ornaments. Love your display!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 02/06/14 08:44 AM

Lisa, thanks for your comment and for listing the other ornaments in the photo. The only item I would add to your list is:

1998 Hallmark Holiday Sensation Barbie-Special Edition, 3rd and final in the Holiday Homecoming Collector's Series

Re: Thrift store find - 02/07/14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: pxsrdh
If I remember correctly, the 2010 Smiling Soldier was free if you bought ornaments at Premiere and Debut so I got one and just loved it. Then last summer I found the rest at the flea market. I would like to find 2 more to have a dozen.

Queli, I always enjoy seeing your Barbie dolls and the way you use Hallmark ornaments to create scenes with them.

My recent find at a thrift store was a Hallmark plush valentine. Has three "hugs and kisses" across the top of a front pocket. I like to stick my Valentine lapel pins on them.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 02/08/14 11:17 AM

Thanks Sue, and congratulations on your find!
Posted by: Raindoggy

Re: Thrift store find - 02/08/14 11:27 AM

I just L O V E your displays!
Posted by: Dujmic

Re: Thrift store find - 02/09/14 02:11 PM

I came home from work yesterday, to see an Hallmark ornament box on the dining room table at my place. My hubby picked up the 1980 Checking It Twice, Special Edition ornament for $2 at a flea market. It's one I didn't have, so I was really happy!

Mary Lou

Re: Thrift store find - 02/09/14 11:21 PM

Queli, I have that Hallmark Barbie and was always afraid to take her out of the box. She looks great "in action." I think I'll have to use mine one of these days.

Mary Lou - wow just wow! Your hubby is a keeper!

Re: Thrift store find - 02/10/14 07:15 AM

Thanks Raindoggy!

Mary Lou...lucky you!

Diana...that Barbie looks great deboxed and the snood keeps her hair immaculate. I've had lots of fun playing with her and I know you will too once you put her "in action".

Re: Thrift store find - 02/10/14 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Dujmic
I came home from work yesterday, to see an Hallmark ornament box on the dining room table at my place. My hubby picked up the 1980 Checking It Twice, Special Edition ornament for $2 at a flea market. It's one I didn't have, so I was really happy!

Mary Lou

That's one of my favorite ornaments Mary Lou! What a great find!
Posted by: Babsaroo

Re: Thrift store find - 03/07/14 10:16 PM

Went to an estate sale bright and early this morning, and picked up some great finds for $3 each, all in boxes, including:
2004 I'm Melting! Melting! WOZ
2004 Santas From Around the World - Germany, USA, Norway
2009 Comic Book Heroes #1 Spider-Man
2009 Robby the Robot
Also got a bunch of cars from the Classic American Cars Series, some more super heroes, and a few Star Wars and Looney Tunes ornaments.

Afterwards I stopped by a couple thrift stores and found 2002 Frosty Friends in box for $1, the 2005 piano playing snowman plush for $5, and these three loose at the bottom of a $5 bag of random Christmas things:
1976 Merry Miniature Santa http://tinyurl.com/l3rp3nm
1980 Swingin' on a Star http://tinyurl.com/lny99xt
1980 Thimble #3 http://tinyurl.com/kg9jewe

My first thimble! Also my first Hallmark find in a bag of random things, that was pretty fun.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/07/14 10:41 PM

You got I'm Melting! I'm Melting! and Santa's From Around the World, Germany for $3 each?! Fantastic finds. Congrats!

Lisa
Posted by: mariem2

Re: Thrift store find - 03/16/14 05:25 PM

I wish we had those kinds of thrift stores around here. We got nodda until close to Christmas and we sure don't get those great finds.

Congrats everyone on your finds.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/22/14 04:23 PM

Not a thrift store find, but a friend cleaning out her ornies. She gave me the 91 Snoopy and Woodstock (with pizza), Plum Delightful, and Look out below. She also gave me the 1990 Pepperoni Mouse. No boxes, but who can argue with free?

Re: Thrift store find - 03/23/14 01:08 PM

Great finds Heidi! Free is GOOD!

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Snoopy-and-Woodstock_p_2483.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Plum-Delightful_p_12723.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1991-Look-Out-Below_p_2433.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1990-Pepperoni-Mouse-_p_2166.html

Is your friend giving up the ornaments because she now lives gluten-free?

Lisa (who's still in search of a good, gluten-free pizza)

Re: Thrift store find - 03/23/14 01:17 PM

I made two marvelous thrift store finds yesterday: a grungy, unpolished, beautifully detailed silver candelabra for $19.99 - (perfect for Halloween) - and a 24" round side table for $19.99 that matches perfectly the $10 coffee table I found a few years ago. I could not believe my good luck!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 03/23/14 06:44 PM

I made two marvelous thrift store finds yesterday: a grungy, unpolished, beautifully detailed silver candelabra for $19.99 - (perfect for Halloween) - and a 24" round side table for $19.99 that matches perfectly the $10 coffee table I found a few years ago. I could not believe my good luck!

Lisa

Congratulations on your good fortune, Lisa! Sometimes our finds extend beyond Hallmark...recently I found a couple of really nice Vera Bradley bags (one still had the tags) but best of all I also found 4 more cups and saucers to add to my Royal Albert flower of the month collection. I only need one more and I will be done!!
Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 03/23/14 07:00 PM

Woo Hoo Sue. A good find is SO satisfying! Would love to see a picture of your cups and saucers. Forgot that I did find one Hallmark item, a "Show me the merry" Christmas mug for 99 cents...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLMARK-CHRISTM...=item5afc7c9cb4

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 12:52 AM

I went to an estate sale this weekend that had thousands of ornaments for sale, all from the 1970s and 1980s. I took home sooo many, all new in box and very well taken care of, many had never been opened. Here are some of the gems I found:

1975 Joy and 1976 Locomotive Nostalgia ornaments ($1 each)
1976 Drummer Boy ($2)
1982-1986 Rocking Horses ($3 each)
1981-1984 Muppets Ball ornaments ($2 each)
1982 Kermit the Frog ($2)
1982-1986 Here Comes Santa ($1-$2 each)
1984 Victorian Dollhouse (NHS #1, $2)
1984 Old World Cuckoo Clock ($1)
1984 Snoopy and Woodstock ($1)
1985 Rainbow Brite and Friends (.50)
Several lighted ornaments, including Chris Mouse #'s 1, 2, & 4 ($1 each), 1986 Baby's First Christmas, & 1986 Gentle Blessings.
And a couple of Ambassador ornaments, 1980 Santa in box for $1, and 1981 Dog in Stocking, one in orig. packaging and one loose for .50.

I also got a bunch of fabric and yarn ornaments from 1981-1982, and there's one fabric Santa that I can't seem to find anywhere online. Has anyone seen this guy?

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 05:36 AM

Oh my! Thanks for all the links to your finds. I don't recall seeing that Old World Cuckoo Clock before. All FANTASTIC finds. Congrats Babsaroo!

Good luck in your search for more information about the pictured fabric Santa.

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 06:50 AM

Babsaroo. That fabric santa ornament came with a hallmark springbok puzzle around 1982 (I'm not 100% sure on the year). Congrats on your finds.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 11:00 AM

Thank you for the info Paintbeanie! If I'd known that I would have looked around for the puzzle, lol. And thanks Lisa!

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 11:39 AM

Awesome finds! Congratulations! smile

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 02:50 PM

I actually found the puzzle (minus the ornament) at one thrift store and then about a month later I found the ornament someplace else. If I have a chance, I'll get out the puzzle and post a picture, but it's buried deep with my Xmas ornaments right now.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 03:53 PM

I googled around and found a picture of the puzzle, hope I can save you having to dig through your ornaments Paintbeanie--its The More the Merrier from 1984. It's super cute, I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks again!

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 04:30 PM

Wow!! Congratulations on your marvelous finds, Babsaroo!! All in one fell swoop, too! It took me years of steady yard sailing and thrift store shopping to get many of those you listed. If it were me, I would keep them together for awhile and keep looking at them so as to keep reliving the moment.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 07:29 PM

Would love to see a picture of your cups and saucers.
Lisa

Close up of cups and saucers. Only need June now. The figurine taking the spot for now is from Enesco's line Memories of Yesterday...based on Lucie Atwell books.

/DSC_0624.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 10:12 PM

Sue, what a lovely collection. Wish I had my grandmothers tea cup and saucer collection...

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 03/24/14 11:13 PM

Thanks Luckdragon and Sue! The woman who collected all the ornaments passed and her 82 year-old husband said she and her mother used to go Hallmarking together, big time, and boy did she amass a huge collection. He thought it was funny that I was taking so many ornaments (hundreds, lol) and I made sure to tell him they would be loved.

I am keeping them all together, and having fun looking at the ones I'd never seen before. The 1982 Love is one of my new favorites, I love the ornaments that play pop/rock classics. And I love Burt Bacharach. smile

I was seriously overwhelmed sorting through the boxes and boxes at the sale though. I didn't know about the Ambassador ornament line until I got home, otherwise I would have looked harder for more of those. Now I know for next time!

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 06:07 PM

I love to thrift shop find, mostly hallmark, but i also collect campbell soup ornaments for christmas, but i have a large collection of ceramic trees as well... my attic is going to cave in one day lol

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 08:47 PM

I'm excited!

I went to the thrift store today and everything was half off because it's the last Wednesday of the month (they do that every last Wednesday of the month).

They had put out their Easter stuff, and I found a brand new gumdrop tree! It was $1.91, so that made it $0.96. Now, I don't have to borrow my mother's gumdrop tree for my gumdrop minis display! smile

Not quite a "super" find, but I was happy.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 08:53 PM

The best finds are those I've wanted for a long time. It pays to be patient.

Those gumdrop trees are adorable. I'd love to find one. Congrats luckdragon!

Lisa

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Sue
Would love to see a picture of your cups and saucers.
Lisa

Close up of cups and saucers. Only need June now. The figurine taking the spot for now is from Enesco's line Memories of Yesterday...based on Lucie Atwell books.

/DSC_0624.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sue, I have from time to time seen those cup and saucer sets and I will make a mental note you are looking for June. Do you know what the flower is on it?

I have had a couple of those for sale in my antique booth and that December one is very familiar to me.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 09:52 PM

I love to thrift shop find, mostly hallmark, but i also collect campbell soup ornaments for christmas, but i have a large collection of ceramic trees as well... my attic is going to cave in one day lol

My mom collected the Campbell Soup Ball ornament for years and she stopped collecting them around the mid 1990s I believe. She also collected the annual Hersheys ornaments as well. I remember we use to have to save our candy wrappers for the next year.

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Duluth_Collector
My mom collected the Campbell Soup Ball ornament for years and she stopped collecting them around the mid 1990s I believe. She also collected the annual Hersheys ornaments as well. I remember we use to have to save our candy wrappers for the next year.

Weird. My mom collected the figural Campbell's Soup ornaments. She skipped one year because she didn't like it, but other than that, she has all of them because they stopped doing the figural ones a few years ago (I figured out the one she doesn't have is the jack-in-the-box kid popping out of the soup can from 2002). When we moved, she'd have it mailed to her mother's house to make sure she got that ornament. We used to have the Campbell's calendar most years too.

And she still puts up all of her Campbell's ornaments. My favorite is still the first one of three kids asleep in a soup bowl with a dog curled in a spoon on top of their quilt. It's cuter than it sounds...

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Duluth_Collector

Sue, I have from time to time seen those cup and saucer sets and I will make a mental note you are looking for June. Do you know what the flower is on it?

I believe it is roses but the months are written on the inside of the cups so I don't have to remember the flower....I just look for the month....in the picture you can just barely see some of the months written out. The store where I found the last four actually had the June tea cup but the saucer was not the correct one so I didn't buy it. The set comes in two sizes....I think the first series issued was slightly smaller. The very first one that I picked up was from the smaller edition but all the rest that I have found were from the larger one and I did find the larger one to replace the first one that I found. Most of the time I carry in my pocketbook a tracing of the cup's rim so that I can always use it to measure a cup if I am not sure if I am looking at the smaller or larger cup.

Duluth, I do thank you for offering to keep an eye open for the June one...not sure that I want to take you up on it though. I have to admit that I have enjoyed the hunt and relish the day that I find it myself! Of course I am taking a big chance that it will never happen but I think I can live with that...haha!

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: Thrift store find - 03/26/14 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Babsaroo
Thanks Luckdragon and Sue! The woman who collected all the ornaments passed and her 82 year-old husband said she and her mother used to go Hallmarking together, big time, and boy did she amass a huge collection. He thought it was funny that I was taking so many ornaments (hundreds, lol) and I made sure to tell him they would be loved.

I was seriously overwhelmed sorting through the boxes and boxes at the sale though. I didn't know about the Ambassador ornament line until I got home, otherwise I would have looked harder for more of those. Now I know for next time!

I did not realize that it was literally thousands of ornaments from which you were choosing!! Were there many others there going through the boxes, too? I would have found it so nerve racking to think that I might be looking through a "dud" box and all the good stuff was in a box someone else was going through!! But you certainly picked some good ones to look through as you brought home some enviable ones.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland
Posted by: Brian in Hanover

Re: Thrift store find - 04/10/14 06:27 PM

This isn't a thrift store find but it's pretty amazing!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221409146028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Re: Thrift store find - 04/28/14 06:20 PM

It wasn't a thrift store, but this topic seemed the best match. At a yard sale, I found a 1976 merry miniature santa holding a cat with the number 4 on the bottom. I already have one with the number 3. Does this mean anything? Should I keep both, or try trading for the many merry miniatures I don't have? Thank you.

Re: Thrift store find - 04/29/14 11:23 AM

It wasn't a thrift store, but this topic seemed the best match. At a yard sale, I found a 1976 Merry Miniature Santa holding a cat with the number 4 on the bottom. I already have one with the number 3. Does this mean anything? Should I keep both, or try trading for the many Merry Miniatures I don't have? Thank you.

I'm by no means a Merry Miniatures expert, but your question reminded me of something a friend of mine talked about once. She had two Santas that were very similar, but one was holding a cat and the other a present. The Santa was the same pose but what he held was different. And I'm thinking there were some presents by Santa's feet. Are these the Merry Miniatures you're talking about? I don't think she saw different markings on hers.

Re: Thrift store find - 04/29/14 12:35 PM

There are supposed to be minor paint differences between the 1976 Santa Merry Miniatures #1-4. According to a May 2009 Hooked on Hallmark blog post: "There are a couple of different colored versions of this merry miniature, as the color of the base and the color of the packages on the back of the figurine vary." I have #4, and comparing it to photos of #s 1&2 for sale on eBay, it is hard to see any difference in color. Does your #3 look identical to #4 as well?

Re: Thrift store find - 04/29/14 04:38 PM

Thank you both for the education. Y'all knew which Santa Merry Miniature I was asking about, but I'm gonna have to look again to see any differences. I'm pretty sure both are holding a cat and both have presents at his feet. I'm amazed Hallmark made 4 different versions. Is this common for Merry Miniatures?
Posted by: lindafay

Re: Thrift store find - 07/18/14 08:52 PM

Duncan has a city wide garage/yard sale this time of year, so not exactly a thrift store find, but close. At one sale, I found a 1986 Thimble Partridge in it's slightly used box for 50 cents. Also for 50 cents, I got an Avon ornament that is a candy cane see-saw on a gum drop base. It has Santa on one end and three elves on the other. The gumdrop is a little bigger than the recent gumdrop ornaments, but I think it will look fine with them.

At another sale, I found a set of three little mice. This house was not very well lit so I couldn't tell if they were Hallmark, but I liked them. Also 50 cents. When I got home, I looked and they have a sticker on the bottom 1995 Hallmark Cards, so I was able to find them on Yulelog software. It is the 1996 The Sewing Club Merry Miniatures. No box, but the mice seem to be in great shape.

Having to work all day sure puts a kink in going to all these garage sales! I've got a couple of more marked to go to tomorrow when we get home from seeing baby hummingbirds.

Linda