2016 Hopes/Wishes

Posted by: luckdragon

2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 05:45 PM

Annual topic, a bit early, but I saw a few people mentioning looking forward to 2016 now. So, why not?

Please try not to mention any of what we already know since some people don't like spoilers. There is a topic that is full of spoilers here:
http://www.yulelog.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=289757

Now, my hopes/wishes/predictions:

Series
A World Within #2 - candy theme with a gingerbread man
'Tis the Seasoning - snowmen salt and pepper shakers please
Season's Treatings #8 - tray with hot cocoa
Beauty of Birds #12 - American Robin
Snowtop Lodge #12 - farmer snowman with a barn and tractor on the bottom, holding a pitchfork, wearing a straw hat, please bring back stick arms
Father Christmas #13 - I just want one with gold velvet. Gold's been an accent color here and there but hasn't been the star of the show and is a very common Christmas color.
Snowball and Tuxedo #16 - exchanging stockings
Snow Buddies #19 - turtle (running out of ideas, technically predicted the beaver correctly for 2015 and got close with Canada goose instead of goose for 2014)
Puppy Love #26 - Basset Hound
NH&S #33 - should be a house, hopefully a Victorian Painted Lady like what's in San Francisco. And I want to see a kitchen in a house instead of another living room/bedroom combo.

Unofficial Series:
Cereal - Rice Krispies
Children's books - If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Dr. Seuss book-style - The Cat in the Hat
Kris's Penguins - drawing/coloring
Looney Tunes - I just want an ornament that's for the cartoon, "What's Opera, Doc?"
Vintage Hallmark ornaments (Bubble Lights was 2015's edition) - A tree topper in a vintage box and end the unofficial series there
That's what I can think of for now.
Posted by: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: luckdragon

Series
Father Christmas #13 - I just want one with gold velvet. Gold's been an accent color here and there but hasn't been the star of the show and is a very common Christmas color.

After Joanne Eschrich did a signing event for her Faith line at my local club sponsor's store in early December, she talked to me about how she selects the fabric for the Father Christmas and is very specific about how she wants the fabric displayed on the ornament. I shared this with my local club at our meeting, and one woman told us that Joanne shops at one of the local Jo-Ann's fabric stores. The people who work at Jo-Ann's now recognize her and when she has selected the fabric for Father Christmas, they tell her that they know what Father Christmas will be wearing.

I haven't taken the time yet to think about 2016 since I've been really busy with all of my Christmas activities and some other year-end things I need to get wrapped up. But my family and I are celebrating the fact that my mom feels better so we think the procedure she had earlier this month worked and is working to clear up the problem she's been fighting since last spring. What a great gift that's been!
Posted by: KCC Pursuit

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 07:31 PM

Annual topic, a bit early, but I saw a few people mentioning looking forward to 2016 now. So, why not?

You have at least one right and two wrong.
Posted by: Moley

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 07:45 PM

That is a blessed gift indeed, Nancy. Hope she feels better with each new day. My greatest hope is good health for all our families in 2016.

Getting to luckdragon's question(you always come up with fun threads)...

I would love to see another cross in the premium line, one with cobalt blue glass or something with ruby colored crystals.

The backlit ornaments like Joy to the World and Moonlit Sleigh ride need more unofficial entries. I would love to see a nativity under a starlit sky with one really large star of Bethlehem lit up, too.

Hoping for Clark watching home movies in the attic in the Christmas Vacation unofficial series.

More ice cream cones or singing eggnog!

A church added to the magic cord selection.
Posted by: Diana*

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 11:00 PM

Would be fun for Tis the Seasoning to have vintage reindeer S&P shakers like Dept 56 had as ornaments/figurines this year.

I hope Christmas Belles goes back to a vintage look.

Most of my hopes are for non-series:

A pretty, stylized Peacock. Peacocks have been a huge decorating theme for several years now. My friend has a peacock tree and I want to get her an ornament for it.

Sci-fi wishes:
ETs spaceship that lights up
Close Encounters space ship with lights and sound. Must play the music.
Galaxy Quest space ship
The little robot VINCENT from Disney's Black Hole
Iron Giant

As always, will put out this wish but I don't have much hope for it as it is probably a licensing issue
Shirley Temple ornaments:
One dressed in her gear for riding a kiddie car airplane
One in her red polka-dot dress
One of her with a Shirley Temple doll in her arms
Posted by: grandma lise

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/28/15 11:46 PM

Just for Diana - (one of my favorite candids from Festival of Trees 2015)...

Picture in larger format

My hopes/wishes are along the lines of...

- fairy homes
- buildings with Santa, Mrs. Claus, elves, and/or animals you'd find at the north pole
- a new Halloween ornament by Jake Angell
- a Polar Express ornament that is not a black train engine or "gift of Christmas" bell
- more characters/scenes from children's literature
- vintage style ornaments
- more felt ornaments by Ruth Doniowski
- another "the nutcracker suite" ornament designed by Edythe Kegrize
- another "knit" themed ornament by Terri Steiger but in porcelain again, similar to the 2013 and 2014 ornaments.
- sculpted indoor room or outdoor scenes

Lisa
Posted by: Faster

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 01:31 AM

Out of what I buy

Looney Tunes: Something with 1 of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Granny or Michael J Frog
Disney: Sven/Kristoff, Big Hero Six, Men: Eric, Prince Charming, Flynn. Venelopee, Ralph.
Peanuts: A Schroeder ornament, or a good sized Woodstock.
Beauty of Birds: an owl
Zootopia ornament; the sloths
Good ornaments of Starlord, Cap, Falcon, Superman, the Vision.
Star Trek ornaments based on the new set of movies
Poe and Maz Kanata ornaments.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Faster

lol, I saw that preview with the DMV sloths when I saw "The Good Dinosaur." That was hilarious!

Lisa, I'd love to see a whole slew of children's literature ornaments. I'd also love to see a Nutcracker ballet series of figural ornaments. Not the minis. I have the minis, and they're cute, but I want full size. It's so frustrating that Hallmark has been doing ornaments for over forty years and still hasn't done a Nutcracker ballet series besides the mini one.

Oh, and I know some will disagree, but Hallmark, can you please cool it with Beauty of Birds? Please just do the series piece and the mini for 2016. They had 5 Beauty of Birds this year, all told.

I also forgot one!
Santas from Around the World - Portugal
Posted by: JerseyVike

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 08:22 AM

Not too much I'm wishing for since we know what the North Pole Tree Trimmer is, and what the Star Wars ornaments are.

Maybe for 2017 the North Pole Tree Trimmer will be an Elf with a tool belt building something. And for Star Wars, they will do a Mace Windu and/or Count Dooko.

But getting back to 2016. I'm hoping for the return of a gumdrop, and Star Wars Lego ornament.

Holiday Lighthouse - Barnegat

A Happy Birthday Jesus cupcake. Either a new design or a rerelease of the one from a few years ago.

Still hoping Hallmark does more open book style ornaments. I agree their needs to be a Cat in the Hat open book ornament. I would look to see some Christmas classics done in open book style. A Christmas Carol, The Night Before Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, etc. And Disney classics as open book style as well. Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Black Cauldron, Fun and Fancy Free, Bambi, etc.
Posted by: Qwackertoo

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 10:55 AM

lol, I saw that preview with the DMV sloths when I saw "The Good Dinosaur." That was hilarious!

Lisa, I'd love to see a whole slew of children's literature ornaments. I'd also love to see a Nutcracker ballet series of figural ornaments. Not the minis. I have the minis, and they're cute, but I want full size. It's so frustrating that Hallmark has been doing ornaments for over forty years and still hasn't done a Nutcracker ballet series besides the mini one.

Oh, and I know some will disagree, but Hallmark, can you please cool it with Beauty of Birds? Please just do the series piece and the mini for 2016. They had 5 Beauty of Birds this year, all told.

I also forgot one!
Santas from Around the World - Portugal

Ditto on a decent Nutcracker Ballet series.

5 BOB's this year? I only have Event, Limited, Regular, don't collect the mini . . . what is the 5th one? The Premium? IF so, I did get that.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 12:52 PM

I know some of you prefer the book style ornaments from the pages of children's literature, but I fear too many "books" will result in seeing the shape of the books rather than the characters on the tree.

I really like the Where the Wild Things Are ornaments. They offer a nice mix of both styles...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=where+the+wild+things+are

Another consideration is what we sometimes lose with the book style ornaments. Hop On Pop is one example...

The cubs on the 2003 wind up ornament actually hop up and down on Pop. It's a favorite. That's not to say the 2015 ornament isn't nice too - (I purchased it) - it's just that I really enjoy ornaments with sculpted characters or scenes too from the book or movie, ones that feature lighting effects or movement, particularly the ones that are interactive are fun too...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=hop+on+pop

So while I'm okay with some ornaments in the book style, I don't want to be overwhelmed by too many. Here's another book style ornament that I really like - (it's beautiful sculpt)...

But I also like the stand alone characters from the Raggedy Ann and Andy collection too...

See the rest of this collection here... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=raggedy+ann+and+andy

Which brings to mind one more hope/wish, deserving of it's own post...

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 01:25 PM

I think one of the things that keeps drawing me to the vintage Hallmark ornaments is the mix of soft colors and bright colors, not just bright colors. Also the richness of hand sculpted detailing. A wonderful example is the new Marjolein Bastin series sculpted by Julie Forsyth...

Here's another ornament that I keep on my desk - (look at his face, the detailing of his mustache, beard, the wrinkles at the elbow in his coat sleeves, the fur on this coat and hat, the texturing of the bag)...

2012 Countdown to Christmas "Here Comes Santa Claus" by Robert Chad

And here's another favorite Santa ornament, in this case an ornament book, 2014 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Edythe Kegrize and Robert Hurlburt

Click here for a 360 degree view.

If you click on the link and use the zoom feature, you can see the detailing of his eyes - (eye wrinkles too!) - the soft pink on his nose and cheeks. This is what I LOVE about Hallmark ornaments.

And luckdragon, I'm right there with you on a Nutcracker ballet series. Waiting, waiting, patiently waiting. smile
Posted by: Qui-gon Grin

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Diana*

Sci-fi wishes:

Close Encounters space ship with lights and sound. Must play the music.

I'd go for this as I bought the Hot Wheels version of Roy Neary's utility truck. I need something to go with it. smile

Originally Posted By: grandma lise

I'm glad you added the link to see the photo in a larger format as I thought that was one odd looking tree, until I saw the larger version and then I "got it".

I really don't have any hopes or wishes. I'll just take what comes ... though at some point we need an Excelsior or Enterprise B from Star Trek; and some flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.
Posted by: beaglebabes

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 02:55 PM

I agree with Luckdragon about the birds. Why so many birds in a year. We go to signings and if it is every two years and a person does a series like the birds, how are we supposed to get them all signed. A few years ago I went to one of Edith's signing and had all I had signed. Now I am back up there in the double digits.

I would like to spend some money on other ornaments, too. I like the retro look with the bubble lights because it is something different. So instead of running 5 a year or 35 years, do a variety of items. I was glad to see the elves Tracy Larsen is doing. And Terri Steiger does a good variety of things. Ken Crow used to do so many different things and now only a few. Cookie Cutter Christmas is now my favorite. The different things that little mouse can do!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 03:47 PM

I agree. Too much of anything kills the anticipation and excitement. I'm assuming the 5th bird for 2015 is the Ruby Red Cardinal. It's been another record breaking year for the Beauty of Birds series.

I'm at least able to enjoy the miniature ornaments.

I'm waiting for one of the artists to become a grandparent. Perhaps that would revive interest in ornaments based on The Polar Express, or the Nutcracker ballet. Two wonderful holiday traditions.

Qui-gon Grin, what I love about that candid is the way the woman appears engaged by the peacock. It was an nice tree too. smile

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 04:35 PM

Yeah, I meant the Ruby Red Cardinal. Another part of the reason I want the American Robin is that the male is identical to a female. Really though, they're so common in North America that they need an ornament.

While we're on the subject of books. I wish they would do Little House on the Prairie. They did Anne of Green Gables (still don't get why they were Canadian only since many Americans love those books). We need Laura Ingalls, okay? I'd love to see one based on the book illustrations, but the TV show could definitely have an ornament too.

My family would not be upset if they did an Andy Taylor ornament to go along with Barney Fife. We'll also take Gomer, Goober, Opie, Aunt Bee, Otis, Floyd, Helen, Thelma Lou, Ernest T...

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 04:44 PM

I wonder IF for Premium ornaments in 2016 they'll do a Black-Capped Chickadee?

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 04:47 PM

Deana, that's an interesting question... smile

Lisa
Posted by: gigl2

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 06:18 PM

I would like Mary Poppins ornaments! (I know that's dating me, but lots of people like retro!) I also like the book ornaments that appear to have characters coming right out of the book, some of the Disney classics would be nice, such as Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping BeautyÖI also would like to see the return of Hershey ornaments. And I love vintage toy ornaments, how about Play-Doh, Lincoln Logs for example.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 06:32 PM

Deana, that's an interesting question... smile

Lisa

Watching Hallmark from year to year for over 25 years now (YIKES) . . . I'm almost willing to bet good money on it.
Posted by: pxsrdh

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/29/15 09:00 PM

I want more of the "A World Within" ornaments.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/30/15 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: gigl2
I would like Mary Poppins ornaments!
Oh yes, I used to request those for ages, but kind of gave up. I'm wondering if there is a licensing issue with likenesses? The Disney store version of Mary Poppins was kind of stylized, not a true attempt to capture the essence of Julie Andrews. Mary in her Jolly Holiday attire would be awesome. Bert with the penguins is another that would be popular.

Would love a series of different dolls throughout time. Mrs Beasley, Flatsy, Shirley Temple, (they've already done Chatty Kathy), Kewpie, Chrissy...

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/30/15 05:41 AM

Ugh. I hope they don't do each Beauty of Birds ornament as a premium.

In fairness, Father Christmas has had a lot of issues too. 5 for Father Christmas in 2015: regular series, African American, premium, KOC colorway, and polar bear. Though...the regular piece and African American are identical except for the faces/beards. The polar bear isn't a Santa.

I'd love to see Father Christmas have a Mrs. Father Christmas complement. I love the animal companions, but I'd like to see his wife at least once.
Posted by: kindacowboy

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/30/15 05:12 PM

Aren't the staffs also different on this year's Father Christmas' as well? This is the first year I have purchased both because they were different.
Posted by: Deano

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/30/15 06:03 PM

All I want from Hallmark next Christmas is a "Frosty Friends Tree Topper". Is that too much to ask?

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/30/15 08:49 PM

Deano, I find it amusing that you can get a Frosty Friends stocking hanger or tabletop display, but no tree topper for this popular series!

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/31/15 08:10 AM

Maybe Hallmark will do a tree topper every year. They did a Here Comes Santa tree topper, and a Star Wars tree topper is coming in 2016. Maybe a Frosty Friends tree topper for 2017.

Hope it would have lots of snow and ice and project snow falling all around it.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/31/15 12:25 PM

I bought the Frosty Friends stocking with the intention of turning it into a tree topper, just haven't had the time to do it.
Posted by: HAL1069

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 12/31/15 12:39 PM

I want Mrs Claus!

I want the gum drops to return!!

I want the gingerbread boy to return!!!

I want the Nostalgic Shops and Houses to be nostalgic again!!!!

Ralph
Posted by: MeowRalphMeow

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/01/16 05:19 PM

I really would like to see them continue with the Planet of the Apes ornaments. I'd like to see Zira and General Ursus.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/01/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MeowRalphMeow
I really would like to see them continue with the Planet of the Apes ornaments. I'd like to see Zira and General Ursus.

And they have to do Taylor.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/03/16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike

I thought about Taylor. I would like to see them do one of him with Nova on horseback.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/03/16 04:44 PM

A Bionic Woman would be nice to go along with The Six Million Dollar Man.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/03/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MeowRalphMeow
Originally Posted By: JerseyVike

I thought about Taylor. I would like to see them do one of him with Nova on horseback.

Even Better !!!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/04/16 01:54 PM

I would really like to see a 'scene' ornament of Taylor, Nova and the Statue of Liberty with the soundbite from the end of the movie. I realize Taylor, Nova and the horse would be somewhat small but it's such an iconic scene.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/04/16 09:02 PM

I know some of you prefer the book style ornaments from the pages of children's literature, but I fear too many "books" will result in seeing the shape of the books rather than the characters on the tree.

I meant to address this before. There are several reasons why I prefer the "book style" ornaments. Particularly the Dr. Seuss ones.
1. I like seeing the actual written words on the "pages" of the ornament to go along with the characters. It is attractive to me as a book lover to see the author's actual words.
2. I love the cover art. The old saying about not being able to judge a book by the cover is partially true, but the cover (and title) is usually what attracts a reader to a book.
3. The characters popping out of the pages reminds me of pop-up books. It's cute.
4. Being book style draws them into a mini collection. I think the book style Dr. Seuss ornaments look more like a series than the original series did. The original series was all over the place: mobiles, clip-ons, wind-ups. The only thing that tied everything together was all Dr. Seuss since it was that particular look that only Dr. Seuss books have. The book ornaments are all the same size.

Mostly though, it's the first reason. I don't buy every book style ornament. I buy the Dr. Seuss ones (except the one with the Grinch's heart growing "thee" sizes that day since I couldn't find one with the corrected word). I definitely want to see the Dr. Seuss ones continue like this for a bit longer. At least until they do The Cat in the Hat. I can live without another Grinch version though. They've done four like this. And technically a fifth but the book is lying flat with the characters coming up.

Books being one of my favorite things in the entire world, I'd be sad not to have book-shaped ornaments. In fact, if I had to choose between ornaments or books, books would win. Always. Hands down. I wouldn't even have to hesitate about it. wink

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 01:18 AM

luckdragon, I like the book style ornaments too. I think they'd look great on a tree, themed or not themed.

The reason I most like a mix of the two styles is that I'm building a nursery rhyme and children's literature character theme tree, so I like to mix it up a bit with more than one style.

All that said, when I finally do put that theme tree up, I might change my mind. You never know...

What I enjoy so much about this forum is that we all decorate differently, and I enjoy seeing every Christmas tree, wreath, and tabletop display posted here. smile

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 08:07 AM

I like open style books because they represent books that have come to life either on TV or the movies.

The Dr Seuss book style ornaments have been great and hope they continue. I'm hoping that other books are brought to life by Hallmark.

For A Christmas Carol, I would love to see Scrooge with a ghost popping out of a book or the guy opening up his window to see Santa flying over his house in the Night Before Christmas. George Bailey in one of the many scenes for It's a Wonderful Life. Many others too.

The same for Disney classics would be great too.
Posted by: AnneTx

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 08:37 AM

Wouldn't it be great if Hallmark did a book-a-month year long series! That would appeal to book lovers as well as ornament collectors (and those who are both!) Hallmark, are you listening?

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 09:48 AM

I've heard Hallmark is not doing a series in a year because this years was such a failure.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 11:09 AM

I've heard Hallmark is not doing a series in a year because this years was such a failure.

I am stunned. I thought this one would have been the most popular to date. I wonder if the display stand was the series' undoing. I did not care for it because it didn't open in back like a real bakery display case. I would have preferred a tiered cupcake stand like Wilton does in cardboard only in a sturdier material. Then I might have wanted to get the whole series. It always surprises me what catches fire and what does not.
Posted by: npjunkie

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 11:31 AM

As a Hallmark store employee we have discounted every series after Christmas. we have more than 15 complete Disney sets less the
stand.
Posted by: kindacowboy

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 12:31 PM

There are no less than 10 cupcake display pieces at more store. Now at 70% off. I guess I didn't realize that they didn't open in the back like a real cupcake one would. Mmm was thinking if seeing if some are left after they discount again. Maybe not now.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AnneTx
Wouldn't it be great if Hallmark did a book-a-month year long series! That would appeal to book lovers as well as ornament collectors (and those who are both!) Hallmark, are you listening?

I would buy them.

We bought all the Peanuts year long series, about half the Disney, and none of the cupcakes. But that's our likes and dislikes.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 04:18 PM

Haven't done any of the year-long series. It's too much. I only have the Christmas Charlie Brown and the Valentine's Linus (since I love that part of the Valentine's special). I only bought them due to a coupon that I had to use to get a better coupon in the future (it was a store thing).

Although, they missed any easy one. Edythe Kegrize's 12 Days of Christmas series as a year-round would have been an easy one. How many of us would have appreciated this 12-year series being over with in one year? But, they focus too much on doing "monthly" ornaments literally representing each month. It's like what they used to do with Merry Miniatures.

I do collect the Disney Store's monthly series, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. More expensive than Hallmark's too. And, at least it's not "here's a Valentine's ornament for February, here's an Easter one for April, a beach ornament for August."

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 09:00 PM

I'm relieved to hear this though I'm still enjoying my Peanuts series.

I like the collections of themed ornaments so much better...

2010-11 Wonder and Light
2009 Santa's Sleigh Collection
2007 Snowmen of Wintergarden
2006 Yuletide Harmony
2006 The Merry Bakers
2004 Santas From Around the World
2003 A Visit From Santa
2002 Memories of Christmas
2001 Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas

I collected all except The Merry Bakers, sometimes multiple sets after Christmas.

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 09:47 PM

grandma lise, I still search for Wonder and Light pieces. Our local store didn't carry the whole line. I loved that set so much. I guess a hope and wish for 2016 would be something to complement that series since it works off a magic cord.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 11:29 PM

We will know for sure by the end of January or start of February if there is not going to be a series in a year.

I thought there was 4 main issues with the series.

1) Price point. Could have been a bit cheaper
2) The constant repeat of characters, 12 ornaments only 7 characters in the Peanuts one, same story with the Disney one
3) It was just a mess for the stores to keep track of.
4) Redundant designs and some unimaginative ornaments

If they did another series my hope would be Looney Tunes and 12 different characters with more abstract representations of the months.
Posted by: carstairs38

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 11:35 PM

I'm glad to hear they aren't doing another year long series. Don't get me wrong, I've bought all three of them, and I love them. But I don't have room to display them!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/05/16 11:44 PM

Mark, I hadn't thought about the display issue. I mean, how many monthly ornaments do customers want/need? This may be why the third series didn't sell well.

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/06/16 08:25 AM

Third series probably didn't do as well because it wasn't a licensed series. The Peanuts attracted Peanuts collectors, the Disney attracted Disney collectors. The cupcakes...well... I was expecting them to do Looney Tunes. I think Looney Tunes would have been interesting. Taz as Cupid, Bugs as a Leprechaun, Tweety as the New Year's baby, Wile E. Coyote as a pilgrim (holding a knife and fork with an Acme rocket strapped to his back, anticipating a Road Runner turkey), Elmer Fudd on the beach for August, etc.

If the cupcakes had been like the Christmas Cupcake series and were done in that style with felting, it might have helped. Like someone mentioned when we first saw them, they really didn't look much like real cupcakes. A few did, but most were cupcakes with a huge decoration on them, a decoration you couldn't eat.

The display's kind of cute. I would love to see them recolor it for Christmas Cupcakes' 10th anniversary (assuming it makes it ten years, likely will). Give it a Christmas theme.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/06/16 09:07 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the next year long series will be 12 compliment ornaments to existing series.

Now if I can find out where I read that. Hopefully it wasn't a dream. LOL !!!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/06/16 10:34 AM

Don't take my word as gossip. Only heard it as a rumor not a confirmation. So there could well be a forth one.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/06/16 10:57 PM

Mark, I hadn't thought about the display issue. I mean, how many monthly ornaments do customers want/need? This may be why the third series didn't sell well.

Lisa

Especially since the second and third series they did had a display case for the entire series instead of just one a month. My Disney and Cupcake displays take up a lot more room than my Peanuts display.

Luckdragon, if they were to redo the display for the Christmas cupcake series, it would have to be bigger. The Keepsake Cupcakes ornaments are just enough smaller than the Christmas Cupcake ornaments that I don't know if they'd fit.

At least the cupcake year long series has been tied to me reading the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries this year, which has been fun.
Posted by: Vixen

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/15/16 09:35 PM

I'm still hoping and wishing for:

The house from Up...with the colorful balloons attached. Gosh, I would love this ornament!

Also from Up, a Carl and Ellie ornament...Ellie kissing Carl's cheek or sitting in their chairs holding hands...adorable couple ornament!

Carol Burnett as charwoman (cartoon version)

Mrs. Claus, please! A Mrs. Claus vanity piece would be so fun! I created a Mrs. Claus vanity vignette with a few vintage decor pieces and displayed it as part of my Christmas decorations this year. It was fun to pull together.

For North Pole Tree Trimmers: an elf decorating a sugar cookie-wearing an apparatus (as a backpack) with a hose attached spraying sprinkles.

Also, an elf in a bell hanging on to the clapper swinging back and forth as if he is ringing it.

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation: Clark in red robe peering out kitchen window with Mele Kalikimka as sound bite.

I like Moley's attic scene idea too!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 01:02 AM

I want the house from Up as well. Don't know why no one hasn't done that yet.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 06:19 AM

Absolutely agree about house with balloons from Up! Great suggestion.
Posted by: sweetdcb

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 08:12 AM

I am ok with the elimination of a yearly series for the year. I have the Peanuts and the cupcakes. Iím good. The house from UP would be awesome and well received I think. That movie resonated with adults more than kids. It is my husbandís favorite animated movie hands down.

Darcy

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 08:36 AM

Ugh! I forgot to list Precious Moments ornament wishes, and you guys just inspired me.

Mulan
Russell from Up holding a stuffed Kevin (since the pattern now seems to be a princess and a Pixar character)

The house would be cute. I wish they would do Disney architecture again. I love the light clip Beauty and the Beast Castle and the Cinderella Castle. They could easily do: Sleeping Beauty Castle, Dwarfs' Cottage, Triton's Undersea Castle, Sultan's Palace, House from "Up," Rapunzel's Tower, Elsa's Ice Castle, etc.

The Beauty and the Beast Castle (2002 Castle in the Forest) is particularly detailed with the turrets and windows.
Posted by: Barbara Harris

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 12:23 PM

Wishes for 2016? Nothing in particular. My favorites are usually the non-property ornaments. H* has plenty of artistic talent to spread between licensed and originals. I understand why the property ornaments are so popular - I am buying more and more thanks to my growing nostalgia - but it's the in-house concepts that make me go Ooh! and Ahh!

There are tons of really great ideas in these posts-- bring them, Hallmark!
Posted by: Barbara Harris

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Moley

The backlit ornaments like Joy to the World and Moonlit Sleigh ride need more unofficial entries. I would love to see a nativity under a starlit sky with one really large star of Bethlehem lit up, too.

Yes! Love the Nativity idea. I picked up A December to Remember after buying the 2015 Moonlit Sleigh Ride, now I'll go find the Joy ornament. These are so beautiful, light with depth, and really show up on a green tree.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 01:09 PM

Barbara, I too most look forward to the non-licensed ornaments. [heart].

I had to look up the 2013 A December to Remember ornament. A similar ornament has been done yearly for three years now, all by artist Matt Johnson, though Rodney Gentry was the first artist listed for the 2014 ornament, and Orville Wilson was the second artist listed for the 2015 ornament. Here's links...

2013 A December to Remember http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2013-December-To-Remember_p_35142.html
2014 Joy Shines Bright http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2014-Joy-Shines-Bright-_p_36201.html
2015 Moonlit Sleigh Ride http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2015-Moonlit-Sleigh-Ride-_p_37119.html

I still need to back collect A December to Remember. Didn't know about it until Moley mentioned it here, in this topic.

Moley and Barbara, a nativity ornament that features a star lit sky, a favorite that luckdragon introduced me to a few years ago, is 2004 Silent Night (magic)... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2004-Silent-Night-Magic_p_7269.html

I have it...somewhere... luckdragon, correct me if I'm wrong. I did a search for it online a while back. Found it, I think, but never got around to posting a link to it here. smile

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 01:31 PM

That Silent Night ornament's one of my favorites.

And while they aren't exactly the same thing, if you want a light up Nativity ornament, there was a collection in 2009. It was done in muted creams, golds, tans, blues, and greens and was Nativity-themed (though no shepherds; yes, that still bothers me):
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2009-Holy-Family-_p_30804.html
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2009-Three-Kings-_p_30803.html
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2009-Love-Fresh-From-Heaven-_p_30802.html
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2009-Angel-of-Peace-_p_30801.html
Then, there was a non-light clip star that went with them:
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2009-Star-of-Hope-_p_30496.html

And, while neither a light clip nor officially part of the collection, I consider this one a complement:
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2011-Sent-From-Above-_p_33079.html

My favorite is the Holy Family one. I have it, the Three Kings, and the Sent From Above ornaments.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 01:55 PM

Thanks for confirming I had the right nativity ornament, the 2004 Silent Night. You mentioned this initially...it also plays Silent Night. I like this ornament too. smile

luckdragon, additionally, thanks to you, I bought the entire nativity collection after Christmas in 2009.

This is one of the best collaborative efforts I've seen for a collection by Hallmark. And as you pointed out, all but one of the ornaments have light clips.

I'd have to go back and count, but I think five or six artists worked on this collection.

I found a lot of ivory and gold glass ornaments this year in the thrift stores. I just realized I could do a small tree.

The 2011 ornament is a nice addition. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. smile

Lisa
Posted by: Sue

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 03:33 PM

I really like the Where the Wild Things Are ornaments. They offer a nice mix of both styles...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=where+the+wild+things+are

Another consideration is what we sometimes lose with the book style ornaments. Hop On Pop is one example...

The cubs on the 2003 wind up ornament actually hop up and down on Pop. It's a favorite. That's not to say the 2015 ornament isn't nice too - (I purchased it) - it's just that I really enjoy ornaments with sculpted characters or scenes too from the book or movie, ones that feature lighting effects or movement, particularly the ones that are interactive are fun too...

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=hop+on+pop

So while I'm okay with some ornaments in the book style, I don't want to be overwhelmed by too many. Here's another book style ornament that I really like - (it's beautiful sculpt)...

But I also like the stand alone characters from the Raggedy Ann and Andy collection too...

See the rest of this collection here... http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=raggedy+ann+and+andy

Which brings to mind one more hope/wish, deserving of it's own post...

Gee, I didn't even think of putting Raggedy Ann and Andy ornaments in with my book collection...I have them in my Toy bin. mmmm...now I would be open to Hallmark doing one of them with a book behind them.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: pxsrdh
I want more of the "A World Within" ornaments.

Queli, where did you get that mini ornament stand for the Work Within? I can't recall ever seeing anything small enough so that it looked appropriate for a mini ornament.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Diana*
I bought the Frosty Friends stocking with the intention of turning it into a tree topper, just haven't had the time to do it.

Yikes! I have been thinking the same thing! so cat's out of the bag...I have been thinking of tying some of my stocking hangers onto my pop culture tree...was going to try it this Christmas but that tree never got put up. I think it will work...and just think about all those stocking hangers finally getting used.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: AnneTx

what a cute idea...book of the month!! haha!...but only if they can do it in plastic....would not at all be interested if they used disaster plaster as they did with the Merry Miniatures...saw a number of them broken....did not buy into the cupcakes or the Merry Miniatures....and it was mostly because of the material used.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kindacowboy
There are no less than 10 cupcake display pieces at more store. Now at 70% off. I guess I didn't realize that they didn't open in the back like a real cupcake one would. Mmm was thinking if seeing if some are left after they discount again. Maybe not now.

While I didn't get the cupcakes, I did buy a couple of the display cases at 75% off. I hope to either be able to take the two stickers off or find other stickers to put over them. I thought the cases would be great for displaying groups of Merry Miniatures (Valentine, St Patrick's, Easter, Halloween) and they wouldn't get dusty.

I think, on the whole, the cupcake series has done well around here...I didn't see a lot sitting on the shelves. Same with the Merry Miniatures....they just weren't my cup of tea.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 04:12 PM

So many wonderful suggestions! Some we have asked for before but I think sometimes it does take years before we get them...we eventually got Jungle Book!
So, yes, let's keep bringing up If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...what a great children's book!~ And, yes to a Shirley Temple Doll. Yes, to Granny from Sylvester and Tweety. Would love to see Tuffy from Tom and Jerry and wasn't there a bulldog in there, too? Was his name Spike? Lincoln Logs and Play Doh? Love it!! and another resounding yes to continue Planet of the Apes! And, would love a Robin for BOB.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 04:35 PM

Play Doh is Hasbro, so there is a chance. Hopefully they'll also do a Lite Brite ornament that is a light clip ornament since Lite Brite is also Hasbro.

Been preaching the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie ornament for years. I'm hoping someone from Hallmark has seen it mentioned several times (not only by me) and is looking into getting a license for it. It would make a spectacular addition to the unofficial children's books. Don't care if it's book style or just the character.

My mom's wanting another Curious George ornament. She has all of the Hallmark Curious George ornaments.

Any word on Santas from Around the World? From what I've heard there isn't going to be one for KOC members. Maybe we'll get a limited quantity one? They've only done one LQ ornament for the series, so maybe it's time for another. My hope/wish this year is for Portugal. I'd love to see them branch into the Far East though. Especially a kimono-donning Japanese Santa. Actually, I'd like to see more Asian-themed ornaments. We got Lotus Fairy, and I had to laugh at my PM choices. I didn't even realize it until just now that both characters are Asian. A little mini-theme (I mean, Mulan's probably going to happen as the limited one unless they finally do Anna and Elsa). But, it would be nice to see them take some inspiration from the 1983 Oriental Butterflies ball ornament and make them figural. That could be gorgeous!
Posted by: Claudia

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 04:51 PM

Play Doh is Hasbro, so there is a chance. Hopefully they'll also do a Lite Brite ornament that is a light clip ornament since Lite Brite is also Hasbro.

I would love to see a Lite Brite ornament. My neighbors daughter plays with our Lite Brite frequently when she's visiting us.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 05:39 PM

My hope for the next Santa's Around the World is Finland. Joulupukki is one of the, if not the oldest inspirations for Modern Santa Claus and Rovaniemi is the home of Santa.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/16/16 10:53 PM

Sue's idea of Spike reminded me of Marc Antony with the little kitty - that would be a fun ornament of characters we haven't seen over and over.

YES to more Santa's Around the World. I get weary of asking for them year after year. I need Greece and Australia and Japan to name a few.
Posted by: dragon

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Sue

While I didn't get the cupcakes, I did buy a couple of the display cases at 75% off. I hope to either be able to take the two stickers off or find other stickers to put over them. I thought the cases would be great for displaying groups of Merry Miniatures (Valentine, St Patrick's, Easter, Halloween) and they wouldn't get dusty.

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

I also picked up one of the display cases at 75% off with the idea of re-purposing it. The only cupcake I bought was the crab for a summer display but thought the display case could work with other collections somehow.

As for Santas Around the World, a Scottish one and a Portuguese one would be appreciated, please!

Karen
Posted by: JimmyJoBob

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 04:18 PM

I keep holding out for a Golden Girls ornament in the future. Thank you for being a friend.

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyJoBob
I keep holding out for a Golden Girls ornament in the future. Thank you for being a friend.

It is a Disney property and Hallmark licenses a lot of their properties but I don't know if it has the popularity that it once had. But, never say never!

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 05:18 PM

Well, the Hallmark channel shows it a lot, so there's some hope there.
Posted by: JimmyJoBob

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 05:26 PM

I agree. I assumed that since the Hallmark Channel is airing it that there could be at least some hope.
Posted by: Vixen

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 05:33 PM

...still hoping...still wishing continued

I hope to see a Lite Brite ornament soon-love that idea.

Looney Tunes Granny! Aww! Love it! Great idea:)

I would so love more Disney and Pixar architecture: the cottage in Snow White, the hunchback's Notre Dame Cathedral, the castle in Brave (based on Castle DunBroch), Big Ben from Peter Pan...

Luckdragon-love all of your ideas for Disney architecture! I'd buy them all!

I'd also like an ornament of the toy box from Toy Story-maybe slightly opened with toys peeking out. Or, the cardboard box used for the attic for the storage of Andy's toys.

And, of course, my wish list for Disney and Pixar 'supporting role' characters:

Harris, Hubert and Hamish (triplets from Brave)
Jasper and Horace (101 Dalmatians henchmen)
Cinderella's step-sisters (Drizella and Anastasia), fairy godmother, and the King
Fox and Hound
All Disney Pixar steed (I love animals:)
Posted by: sparkle

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 05:53 PM

I would love to see "toys" that I can still remember that were part of my childhood...jump rope, a croquet set, a scooter, roller skates with key, Patty Play Pal, hula hoop, ouija (?) board, paddle with ball on string, those hand held plastic basket-like things that you clicked and the ball popped out, ball and jax, card games like old maid, go fish, & crazy 8's, Block head, a beach ball, silly putty, a kite, a harmonica.....books like Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins.......
And yes I am older than Must Be Santa!!
smile

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 06:09 PM

sparkle, those are the toys of my childhood too, though don't remember Patty Play Pal. But had I seen this commercial, I would have wanted her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4syltEKMUU

Oh and this one too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8aFFaDxdo

Lisa

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 06:15 PM

I can picture Toymaker Santa with a hula hoop. That might be pretty cute.

If you really want a walk down memory lane...
http://wishbookweb.com/
Enjoy!
Posted by: sparkle

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 06:37 PM

Lisa....thanks for videos...mom was a doll collector so I suspect I never missed a doll. I also totally forgot about that mechanical Ideal guy at the end!

Luck, Thanks for link. I'd love to see Santa with a hula hoop, too !!!

Carol

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 09:51 PM

sparkle, lucky you!

I think one of the reasons I enjoy collecting Hallmark ornaments so much is because the closest I came to experiencing a toy store or catalog was the toy department at Sears and their catalog. I never had anything "collectible" or suitable for pretend play. That's not to say I didn't have nice toys, I did, but all were "educational". This is a good lesson for me: Make sure grandchildren have access to a variety educational and toy stores and their catalogs so they can pursue and explore their interests, not just their parents!

luckdragon, I've been on the Wish Book website numerous times but never looked at the 1967 FAO Schwartz Christmas Catalog. I'm amazed by how similar the toys we had 50 years ago are to today. Also how many toys I would have enjoyed having as a child. I likely will spend a couple of weeks going through it. Thank you! smile

Lisa
Posted by: beaglebabes

Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes - 01/17/16 11:04 PM

Sparkle, a lot of those things can still be bought. The card games can still be found and I see the paddle games around. We still play croquet. A lot is not like the quality of years ago. And the Old Vermont Country Store has some items. A couple of years ago they had the original puppy that is pulled and a few other of those items.