YuleLog for Web Announcement

Posted by: Sean Ray

YuleLog for Web Announcement - 03/21/20 02:27 PM

Dear YuleLoggers,

I hope everyone is well during these strange times!

Having been stuck inside most days with more free time than usual, I have had time to focus on developing what I intend to be the “future” of YuleLog Software.

As perhaps some of you know, YuleLog is developed using a program called FileMaker Pro. As of late, Filemaker has been moving away from what are called runtime solutions, or databases that are exported in a format that allows them to be installed on other computers. This is how YuleLog is currently distributed on both Mac and Windows. You are no doubt familiar with transferring your backup program from version to version, etc. From what I understand, there will be a point (perhaps soon) that Filemaker applications like YuleLog will no longer be compatible with newer operating systems. This means you might have trouble accessing your collection in a few years.

With this in mind, and looking around at new technologies available, I have spent the past three years (when I’ve had time from regular YuleLog work and my day job) to develop what I am calling YuleLog for Web.

Features

• YuleLog for Web will be available on Web Browsers and as an iOS app (Android planned)
    • Instead of installing the program via DVD or digital download, you will access YuleLog either on a web browser (Google Chrome is the preferred browser, and is of course available for free) or via our iOS app
    • Please see screenshots below for an idea of the new interface
  • Data stored in the cloud
    • This means no more exporting or importing backup files, by far the most tedious part of using YuleLog. Your data is automatically backed up and can be accessed from anywhere with an Internet connection.
    • Your data can be exported as an Excel file and PDF reports can be generated for printing.
  • Data imported from your desktop version of YuleLog
    • All customers data is currently stored on their computer. This of course means that data will have to be migrated to the new system. I have written a script to do this, and will import users’ software for free for a certain amount of time.
    • Custom items and photos will be imported
      • If you have custom items or items with custom photos, these items will be added to your YuleLog for Web
    • My goal is to have all customers move to the new version of YuleLog. I will continue to produce the old version of YuleLog as long as it is supported on newer operating systems. But the fact is that the days of that solution are numbered.
  • Department 56 Price Guide also included.
    • The new version of the software will have both a Hallmark Price Guide and the Dept. 56 Price Guide we have produced for some time.
  • Web-based apps are in continuous development and can be easily updated.
    • The good thing about apps served via web browsers and the App Store is that I can make changes at any time. I can add features upon request. I am not forced to wait an entire year between updates to tweak small things, add requested features, add missing items, correct items with incorrect information, add better photos, etc.

Pricing

Yulelog for Web will use a subscription based model, as we currently use for YuleLog. A one year subscription to YuleLog for Web will be $40 annually (Roughly $3.33 per month). If you buy the offline version of YuleLog, you will receive a complimentary subscription of YuleLog for Web the first year it is released. This means if you already YuleLog, you won’t be charged to use YuleLog for Web. This gives you and me time to import your collection into YuleLog for Web.

Testing

I am at a point where I am ready to begin Beta testing for YuleLog for Web. The requirements for Beta testers:

• Must have access to Google Chrome
    • A free web browser
  • Must have an iOS device, such as an iPad or an iPhone. Preferable one that runs iOS 13. If you aren’t sure about this, I will work with you to make sure you have a device that is compatible with YuleLog.
  • Must use YuleLog currently and have a collection you can export from YuleLog (i.e. a backup file, backup.fmp12)

The responsibilities:

• Interact with various features and report back with feedback. I will not require continuous feedback, but just some time devoted to using the program and whatever feedback you choose to provide.
  • Send me your backup file so I can run tests importing it into YuleLog, then go through records to ensure it has transferred to your liking.

If you are interested in Beta Testing, email me at yulelogsean@gmail.com or respond in this thread.

Note: Before you ask, the offline version of YuleLog (that is, what all YuleLoggers currently use) will continue to be released. I understand people are used to using that version and that users can be uncomfortable with change. I have no plans to discontinue this version of the software so long as operating systems like Windows 10 and the latest version of macOS support it.

Web Version

iPhone/iPad Version

Posted by: kindacowboy

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/19/20 10:03 AM

Any news on this? I would like to use it for my sale ornaments only.
Posted by: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 03:12 AM

I can't tell you much about this, but I do know a little bit.

I am one of the testers for the iOS app. I've been asked to create a new username and to add something to a collection. I would expect those are some early development items but I don't know that is fact. I've done testing for Sean before so I expect to keep doing testing for different parts of this project.

If anyone has questions about what Sean posted above please either post here or send me a message. I'll be glad to clarify anything if I can.
Posted by: MicheleB

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 08:20 AM

So this new version cannot be used on a standard desktop computer. I don't have a smartphone. I do have an iPad but that uses safari and not google chrome. I wouldn't even know who to use google chrome on my iPad.

I've emailed Sean about a week ago with a question about the 2019 version of Yulelog and still have not received a reply.
Posted by: AshleyC

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: MicheleB
So this new version cannot be used on a standard desktop computer. I don't have a smartphone. I do have an iPad but that uses safari and not google chrome. I wouldn't even know who to use google chrome on my iPad.

I've emailed Sean about a week ago with a question about the 2019 version of Yulelog and still have not received a reply.

Google Chrome is available for both iPhone and iPad

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MicheleB

Using Chrome is no different from using Safari so you won't have a problem with that.

If you want, you can send me a PM with your question for Sean. Sometimes he responds to me when he doesn't answer anyone else. I haven't heard from him for a couple of weeks but he might answer me once he has the update in my hands.
Posted by: lindafay

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 02:19 PM

I had just read this yesterday. I think I saw it earlier, but just didn't take time them to think about it. So, last night, I was asking my son, Bill, about things. From talking to him, I understand that we should be able to access it on either our desktop or our phones. I don't have an iphone, just Android. the more I talked to him, the more I'm thinking that I'll like it. Being able to access our info at any time on our phones would be great.

Slightly different layout and way of doing things will probably take some getting used to for those of us who are old-and-set-in-our-ways. I'm still trying to find stuff on my new computer that isn't where it used to be. crazy

Linda
Posted by: debbieg

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 05:14 PM

Does this only pertain to the Yulelog database or will it also apply to this web site?

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/20/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: debbieg
Does this only pertain to the Yulelog database or will it also apply to this web site?

This should only apply to the Yulelog program.
Posted by: hmarklover

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/24/20 03:58 PM

Nancy, does this mean we will have pay to the cloud money if we follow Sean's new future of Yulelog?

Re: YuleLog for Web Announcement - 07/24/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: hmarklover
Nancy, does this mean we will have pay to the cloud money if we follow Sean's new future of Yulelog?

You'll still pay him an annual fee since you'll still be using the price guide and collection storage, and since there's no disk to mail or download to get I suspect it might be cheaper but that's just my guess. One thing I didn't think about until I read your question is if everyone will pay the same amount (new or renewal) or not. I'll have to ask him sometime unless he reads this and answers that question here.

I would think you'd get the initial app and then be notified when you used it if there are updates to the app to be downloaded. For example, if Sean added a new feature, you could get the updated app so you could use that feature in addition to what you've had available. I sent him an EMail about an app that some people on Facebook are using; he checked it out and said he saw some features there that he might add to the app that the program doesn't offer now. Having things in the cloud means that he can add features like that during the year and not just when he updates the price guide.