YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1563 Members
15 Forums
26896 Topics
331123 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#138405 - 04/02/09 09:48 AM Starting Over
Mary Lynn Offline
Elf Manager

Is there any way to efficiently save all of the information currently listed in Yulelog, and erase the database to start over? Or better yet, is there any way to "mark" an entry as I go through my collection to verify what I actually own? Let me explain. My Mom broke both her hips in a fifteen month time period. While caring for her, I added to my collection, but did not necessarily get them entered. I also, often, packaged up Hallmark ornaments as gifts for friends when I did not have an opportunity to purchase anything else. Added to that, my husband, unaware that I had stored "bins" in different locations until I could get to them, consolidated all of them in one place. I have been collecting for 30 years. I have in excess of 1,700 ornaments, including many duplicates. I really need to start over somehow, without losing the "cost" and purchase date information that is now ONLY in the database. I am not particularily concerned about the time involved to redo this properly, I just want to do it right the uh..second time. Thank you.

#138408 - 04/02/09 09:56 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Mary Lynn]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Loc: Southaven, MS
It doesn't sound like you need to start over.
You just need to go through your collection using the blue Details screen and change the "Status" field. It can be Own, Wanted, For Sale, On-layaway, etc. You can also change "Qty." field to reflect how many you have, or use the "Duplicate" button to create a second entry for an item if it has something different from the other, such as status, purchase price, storage location etc.

The yellow Price Info tab has fields for locations.

Use the arrows at the top of the screen in the double row of buttons to step through your list, one item at a time.

#138483 - 04/03/09 08:00 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Todd Ray]
Mary Lynn Offline
Elf Manager

I'm afraid that if I reset all of my QTY's to zero, the ornaments will be deleted from my database and be unrecoverable. I didn't know if I reset all of them to "Want to buy" if I would lose that "purchase information", although I'm thinking "for sale" would work. For example, I have about 10 of the 1984 Chickadees, all bought on different dates, in different places, for different dollar amounts: and all entered properly in the database. When my Mom died, I gave some to my children and my sisters, but I have also "found" a few more that did not get put in their proper bin along the way. At this point, I have no idea how many I have left, and they are scattered among a multitude of bins. Using the "Blue Details screen", if I start at the top of my "Collection", I will have to look through every bin, for each ornament. If this is the only way, I can fix this, I am willing to do so, but I didn't want to do anything that would lose any of the "bought" information. Thank you.

#138489 - 04/03/09 08:20 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Mary Lynn]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I don't know if this will help . . . but I keep several "collections" within my YuleLog software. My Christmas, My Easter, each of the kids Christmas x 2, their Easter x 2, for sale/duplicates etc.

So when I do a "major" inventory, probably every 2-3 years, I print out all the inventory sheets which helps a little with the physical inventory of all those boxes & rubbermaids and make detailed notes and enter new additions, corrections, additional info, eBay purchases, etc. along the way.

I may have moved stuff from my collection to one of the kids or moved it to the sell box(es) over the years, or moved it to a themed subset. Lots of shuffling goes on in a couple of years. \:\)

Anyways, I don't recall right off hand IF you can select various headings for your inventory report, there are at least two different reports and that you can single or double space it . . . I think.

As I'm progressing through the inventory process, I print out each boxes inventory using the location, location, location report feature and toss a copy in each box of its content.

I'm due for a MAJOR inventory this fall after Todd ships out YuleLog 2009 since I've skipped the last 2 and haven't entered anything for around 3 years and also a major purge of "no longer loved" ornaments to get rid of. I use to get this accomplished every other year but have fallen behind and am a little bit overwhelmed by the prospect of it all this time around.

Good Luck~!!!!

Deana

#138624 - 04/04/09 08:17 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Mary Lynn]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Loc: Southaven, MS
 Originally Posted By: Mary Lynn
I'm afraid that if I reset all of my QTY's to zero, the ornaments will be deleted from my database and be unrecoverable. I didn't know if I reset all of them to "Want to buy" if I would lose that "purchase information", although I'm thinking "for sale" would work. For example, I have about 10 of the 1984 Chickadees, all bought on different dates, in different places, for different dollar amounts: and all entered properly in the database. When my Mom died, I gave some to my children and my sisters, but I have also "found" a few more that did not get put in their proper bin along the way. At this point, I have no idea how many I have left, and they are scattered among a multitude of bins. Using the "Blue Details screen", if I start at the top of my "Collection", I will have to look through every bin, for each ornament. If this is the only way, I can fix this, I am willing to do so, but I didn't want to do anything that would lose any of the "bought" information. Thank you.

Setting the quantity to zero will not delete the item. It just shows a zero quantity. All other information that you have entered for that item will remain. Same goes for the Status field. Only that field will change. All other information stays the same.

You could start with each bin, do a "Find" for each item and indicate whatever change you need to make. Of course to make changes to the items you don't have anymore, scrolling through the list is pretty much the only way.

Also, before you make any large changes it is best to save backup files to a safe place, in case you need to get back to where you were. Instructions for using the backup files are at
http://www.yulelog.com/helpfaq.htm#backup

#138647 - 04/04/09 10:18 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Todd Ray]
Mary Lynn Offline
Elf Manager

Thank you, and wish me luck!

#141427 - 05/12/09 08:55 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Mary Lynn]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
I need to do something similar to what you're going through since I need to put away purchases from the last three years and do some reorganizing at the same time. My mom has talked about how she'd like to know what is in each tub when she goes to open it and feels like having a database with everything in it is more than she can accomplish now. I almost told her to go visit the storage place a couple of days before the winter storms come to pick up some tubs to go through while she can't get out but she usually has plenty of other things planned for those days.

One thing I've found useful to me is to have a list like Deana said for each tub. I thought I'd pass along something that I've found very useful to me: I taped a business sized envelope to the short end of the tub with the location designation on it and put a copy of what's in that tub in the envelope (I fold the flap over so that the back of the envelope is facing out, making it easier to pull out the list). This way I can pull it out without having to remove the tubs that may be on top of the tub I'm interested in so that I don't have to open it to get the list. I taped the ends with packing tape so that envelope isn't going anywhere without some help. Then when I want to move something I take that list, update the database and update the form (I keep a copy in Excel so that I can print updated sheets from there).

Moderator:  Moderator