YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (nana34), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1563 Members
15 Forums
26896 Topics
331122 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#139668 - 04/12/09 04:25 PM Adding YuleLog Software to Laptop
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Todd,

I bought YuleLog software many years ago and buy updates every other year and was wondering how I might go about adding it to my laptop so when I go to my climate controlled storage off-site, I could inventory my ornaments. But then I'd have to somehow make a saved back-up of it and use on the desktop. Should I attempt this or just print an inventory list and make pen/paper additions and update when I get home? I probably won't try this for a few weeks until it gets warm and stays warm, although it was 38 this a.m. and now 72.

Thanks in advance,

Deana

#139690 - 04/13/09 08:53 AM Re: Adding YuleLog Software to Laptop [Re: Qwackertoo]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Loc: Southaven, MS
Sorry for the delay in responding. Yesterday was one of those days.

You can do this pretty easily, as you guessed, using the backup files. Make a safe copy of the backup files and the best way to move them is with a USB Flash drive.

From the YuleLog Help pages.

How do I move my data to a new computer?

Windows (95 - XP)

First start YuleLog on the old computer Click on the Save Backup Data Files buttons. This will create three files named Backup1, Backup2, and Backup3. These files will be saved in the YuleLog2 folder which should be in the Program Files folder on your C drive. Copy these files to a floppy or to a USB Flash drive. On your new computer, install YuleLog, using your newest CD, as if it were a first time installation. When ever it asks, tell the installer that this is new installation. Then copy the backup files from the floppy or USB Flash drive to the YuleLog2 folder which again should be in the Program Files folder. Start YuleLog, again answering the question as if this were a first time installation. Fill out the name and address form and then at the Licensed to screen, click on the Utilities button. Click on the Restore From Back Up Data Files button. This will read your data into the new copy of YuleLog and then you should be good to go.

Windows (Vista)

First start YuleLog on the old computer Click on the Save Backup Data Files buttons. This will create three files named Backup1, Backup2, and Backup3. These files will be saved in the YuleLog2 folder which should be in the Program Files folder on your C drive for Windows 95 - XP (or My Documents folder on a Vista machine). Copy these files to a floppy or to a USB Flash drive. On your new computer, install YuleLog, using your newest CD, as if it were a first time installation. When ever it asks, tell the installer that this is new installation. YuleLog needs to be installed in the My Documents folder on Vista Machines. When you get to the screen that asks where you want to install, click on the Browse button. Select Users. Then Select your directory (could be your name) It is whatever name you use to sign in to your computer. Select Documents. Click continue and this should install YuleLog in your My Documents folder. Then copy the backup files from the floppy or USB Flash drive to the YuleLog2 folder which again should be in the My Documents folder. Start YuleLog, again answering the question as if this were a first time installation. Fill out the name and address form and then at the Licensed to screen, click on the Utilities button. Click on the Restore From Back Up Data Files button. This will read your data into the new copy of YuleLog and then you should be good to go.

Macintosh

First start YuleLog on the old computer Click on the Save Backup Data Files buttons. This will create three files named Backup1, Backup2, and Backup3. These files will be saved in the YuleLog2 folder which should be in the Applications folder folder on your hard drive. Copy these files to a floppy or to a USB Flash drive. On your new computer, install YuleLog, using your newest CD, as if it were a first time installation. Then copy the backup files from the floppy or USB Flash drive to the YuleLog2 folder which again should be in the Applications folder. Start YuleLog, again answering the question as if this were a first time installation. Fill out the name and address form and then at the Licensed to screen, click on the Utilities button. Click on the Restore From Back Up Data Files button. This will read your data into the new copy of YuleLog and then you should be good to go.

Instructions for this and many other things can be found at

http://www.yulelog.com/help.htm

If you need instructions for installing as if new, from your newest CD, eMail me and I can eMail a copy.

#139693 - 04/13/09 09:55 AM Re: Adding YuleLog Software to Laptop [Re: Todd Ray]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Thanks, Todd, That was a speed reply. I will give you a shout should I run into problems.

Thanks again,

Deana

Moderator:  Moderator