YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325460 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#14028 - 06/07/02 07:23 AM Revolving Doors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seeing Kris and the Kringles last night reminded me "of way back when" revolving doors were popular....aren't you glad they did away with them???!! I can still remember as a kid being afraid that I would not be able to exit because it was going to fast. Are there any Yuleloggers who have never used one or does anyone shop a store that still has theirs?
Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

#14029 - 06/07/02 11:39 AM Re: Revolving Doors
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the hospitals near here has revolving doors that turn very slow automaticly.There a few more around but I can't remember off hand where at.

#14030 - 06/07/02 11:55 AM Re: Revolving Doors
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Raytown, MO USA
I imagine they had to do away with them to be up to codes regarding handicap accessiblity. But, at one of the many buildings Sprint uses around here, the first big building my husband worked at had one. This is not an old building either. They simply had a revolving door in the middle of two "regular" doors.

Those grates in the middle of the sidewalk always scared me! I would walk around them when we would go downtown to our favorite dress shop.

#14031 - 06/07/02 02:13 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Loretta Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Cartersville GA USA
I didn't like them as a kid and I still will go out of my way to avoid them. I think my brother used to get ahead of me and stop the door so I couldn't get out. It must have been a major trauma at the time.

#14032 - 06/07/02 04:57 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think revolving doors are cool! And they haven't done away with them. Like Dee said, there are usually regular doors to one side or both.

The still have them in Houston and some buildings request you use them instead of the regular door. I always thought the revolving door let less air conditioning out. You only get the air that goes with the section. Opening a regular door and it poors out.

I have seen automatic doors too. Now THEY were freaky!

------------------
TTFN!
Drewster
Help out a starving artist and grad student! Make Drewster your link to Amazon.com.
"Acting is easy. Just know your lines and don't bump into the furniture."
- Spencer Tracy

#14033 - 06/07/02 07:37 PM Re: Revolving Doors
MSHMK Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Oklahoma
If I remember correctly, the Hyatt in Kansas City, MISSOURI still has a revolving door cause we used it quite a bit coming and going last August.

Terri

#14034 - 06/07/02 09:20 PM Re: Revolving Doors
NEOCCPres Offline

Loc: CT
If you go to NYC you will find them all over. As long as you don't have some idiot in front of you or behind you that try to cram themselves and sixteen shopping bags into one you shouldn't have a problem. The trick with the automatic ones are you don't push on them if you do they will stop. At Tiffany's they used to have a door man who would push it for you to keep the flow of traffic moving. It's like watching someone trying to jump into a jump rope.

Mike

#14035 - 06/09/02 12:47 AM Re: Revolving Doors
Barbara Harris Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Miami County, Kansas, USA
Back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid, I used to be really scared of revolving doors. Now my sense of adventure has kicked in and I feel quite satisfied, even smug, when I successfully maneuver through those located at Logan airport in Billings, Montana. I'm sure there are some closer to home, but I don't remember where, maybe St. Luke's on Wornall? As Dee mentioned, there used to be lots in downtown KC but I haven't been there in eons. Dee also mentioned sidewalk grates used to bother her, but what scared me (and still does) are open stairways--Vertigo City for me!

#14036 - 06/09/02 01:17 PM Re: Revolving Doors
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greer, S.C.
Barbara,
You mentioned St. Lukes Hospital down on the Plaza.
My Mom was going thru those doors once very slowly and man got in and pushed hard and it caused her to fall down and she was trapped in there. It took some doing to get her out of there. She wasn't hurt that bad but when someone is pushing slowly then there must be a reason. Mary

#14037 - 06/09/02 02:11 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Raytown, MO USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara Harris:
I'm sure there are some closer to home, but I don't remember where, maybe St. Luke's on Wornall? ....open stairways--Vertigo City for me!

I was born at St Lukes!

I hate open stairways and going down escalators! I have almost embarassed my children when I was about to sit on my bottom and scoot all the way down a staircase at the mall. We found an elevator instead.

#14038 - 06/11/02 06:42 PM Re: Revolving Doors
slukster Offline

Loc: NYC, New York
I work in NYC and most of the office buildings in Midtown have them. My building alone has 15. In the course of a week I have to say that I go through all 15 at some point. I could tell you which ones are harder to push, which ones turn too fast so you have to watch you don't hit your heals on the way through, and those that squeek. I guess I am a revolving door nut!

Mike, I have to agree with you, it drives me crazy when people put themselves, shopping bags and there children in the same slot together. Then when you come through the doors behind them and they get shot out of the doors onto the floor they look at you like you did something wrong. Not trying to stereotype anyone, but I have a lot of foreign tourists coming into my building (their is a Canadian Consulate in it) and they don't seem to have a clue how to use the revolving doors. They pack two adults into one slot of the doors and then wonder why it won't move. One guy even tried going into the doors with me!!

Another thing about revolving doors: those people who go into the doors after someone else and then don't actually push the doors but try to ride the momentum through without having to put out any effort. THAT DRIVES ME NUTS!! When I go through after a person doing this and they are just about to get out without pushing but they need just a little more of a push, I won't touch the doors. I will stand there and watch them until they push. They were counting on me to push the doors for them. No way Jose!! And then, once again, they look at me like I AM CRAZY!!

Oh, this is a sore subject for me. When I go through the doors I always push hard and make sure there is momentum for the next person behind/ coming towards me. It is one thing if it is an older person or a woman with children but if you are young and healthy, you better be pushing the darn doors.

#14039 - 06/11/02 07:10 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee:
I hate open stairways and going down escalators! I have almost embarassed my children when I was about to sit on my bottom and scoot all the way down a staircase at the mall. We found an elevator instead.

Dee, I feel your pain and am with you 100% on the escalator thing. I hated escalators when I was little and only got over it when I got older. I think it's the flashbacks to the beginning part of the Jetsons cartoon when George Jetson takes the dog for a walk on the conveyer and trips and it takes him underneath and he can't get off. That would be me.

Another of my phobias is bridges, as I knew someone who had a car accident and went off into the water and drown. Both girls were in their early twenties and her baby died also in the wreck. So I have an aversion to bridges. Every day on my trip to and from work (over the Ohio River) I plan my evacuation like in an airplane. That is if anyone was to make it once it hit the water. My worst nightmare was reading about that bridge tragedy recently. I was almost post-hyperventilative/pre-relaxed on my daily crossings - now I'm back to DEFCON 4!

Syl in Kentucky

#14040 - 06/11/02 07:15 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Having spent 15 years working for Sprint in KC, I've been to a fair number of their buildings, and probably half of them have revolving doors. I agree with the statement about how much air gets changed by the revolving door vs. a regular door - less outside coming inside, which is better for people in the lobby.

I went through a revolving door into 1 KC Place (downtown Kansas City, MO) once with a friend who had an air cast on her leg and was walking with crutches. She asked me how we were going to get through the revolving door (there were some regular doors off to the side that we didn't use much). I told her that I would have her go first so that she could push the door at the rate she needed it to go and I'd follow her. We made it through without any problems.

And Dee, I still don't like those open grates in the sidewalks. I walk around them since I don't trust them. I've never heard a story about anyone falling through them, but there's a first time for everything.

#14041 - 06/15/02 04:37 PM Re: Revolving Doors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee:

I don't care much for escalators either. When my daughter was about 2, she and her father went to a mall. They were going up or down an escalator, and he wasn't watching her for a few moments towards the end - when she sat down on the step. As the steps merged into the landing, her skin was caught in there as well. Apparently you could hear her scream through the entire mall, and all the way to the stitches in the ER...

And she still has the scars to remind her of that day. She's 18 now, but she, too, has a bit of an eery feeling on escalators!

Karen

[This message has been edited by KarenK (edited 06-15-2002).]

Moderator:  Moderator