YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26157 Topics
323423 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151723 - 09/25/09 07:43 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: deckthehalls]
holidayaholic Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Central Florida
It's a HUGE store that carries everything from holiday/seasonal decorations to hobby & craft items (including fabrics & necessities that go with that) and a (year round) home decor section too. You can go to http://www.hobbylobby.com to check out their locations. It's fabulous!

#151724 - 09/25/09 07:47 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: PWilliams]
holidayaholic Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Central Florida
I guess the closest to you is in Burlington (45 minutes I think?) That's better than mine (1-1/2 hour drive...ugh!) I talked to a very knowledgeable Hobby Lobby manager today. He said they avoid large cities on purpose. They will always choose a nice town near a big city. Interesting....

#151731 - 09/25/09 09:06 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: holidayaholic]
jrudy Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: LaCenter KY USA
Just thinking about....not sure how it will look.....

My black (halloween) tree with clear lights...5 ft tall--
Maybe using the garland, adding a couple strands of multi colored lights and making it a penguin tree.

Just thinking, so far.
Jeanette

#151733 - 09/25/09 09:18 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: jrudy]
Collector Joy Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
That sounds like a very unique tree, please take pictures of it and post it so we can all see your creation.

Joyce

#151734 - 09/25/09 09:35 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Collector Joy]
jrudy Offline
Elf Manager

will do
Jeanette

#151738 - 09/25/09 11:12 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: holidayaholic]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
 Originally Posted By: holidayaholic
I talked to a very knowledgeable Hobby Lobby manager today. He said they avoid large cities on purpose. They will always choose a nice town near a big city. Interesting....

That's interesting to hear that they don't go into "big cities." Hobby Lobby started in Oklahoma City, which at one time was the biggest single city in the country (places like New York and Los Angeles have a lot of other cities in them that aren't technically a part of those cities). I still think my favorite Hobby Lobby store is the original one on 10th Street and I believe they have more locations in OKC than that one. I consider locations in Kansas City, Tulsa, Wichita and other cities that you've mentioned "big cities," unlike Enid, OK where my mother-in-law lives (and it's a nice big, store too).

Hobby Lobby has gone back to their Christian roots and aren't open on Sundays because of that. When I lived in OKC 20+ years ago they would be open on Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the additional business they had at that time of year, and the only day they were open after 5 was Thursday. Their Mardel business used to be a part of some of the Hobby Lobby stores but they decided to move it off by itself so that they could focus on their church materials business separate from the one selling art supplies, the framing business, the silk flowers, decorative items and craft supplies. The original business focused on selling canvases, brushes, paints and framing supplies and was near where I worked for 6 years in OKC.

#151747 - 09/26/09 07:03 AM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
Nancy, is that one still there on 10th? Seems like I couldn't find it recently.

Linda

#151750 - 09/26/09 07:28 AM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
 Originally Posted By: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS
I consider locations in Kansas City, Tulsa, Wichita and other cities that you've mentioned "big cities," unlike Enid, OK where my mother-in-law lives (and it's a nice big, store too).

I guess we are lucky in our smaller town, we have TWO Hobby Lobby's.

Nancy, do you mean Enid, America??? ;\) I use to work with quite a few very, very nice people that were transferred to Fort Worth, TX from Enid, America when the oil & gas company I worked for closed their office in Enid. They were very sweet & kind folks. Most adjusted real well and relocated a little west of Fort Worth and bought homes with acreage so they could still have horses and live in a rural setting. \:\)

Deana

#151760 - 09/26/09 01:24 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
Ginny Offline
Santa's Helper

There are 4 Hobby Lobby stores in the greater St. Louis area. We're a pretty large city too. ;\)

I was sorry though when they closed their Hemispheres store (home furnishings, decor, furniture) in my area. I have a cocktail table and also a large foyer mirror that I bought from them some years ago that I really love.

#151763 - 09/26/09 01:41 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Ginny]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Their furniture is overpriced in my opinion. Granted, High Point, NC is one of the furniture capitals of the world and is right next door, so we have furniture stores and outlet stores in both High Point and Greensboro, so that probably makes me have a discerning eye for furniture and furniture prices. My mom tells me when she lived in Oklahoma, that the furniture was much, much higher.

I did like the wagon wheel bench I saw today there, but $600 was too high.

If you want nice furniture at a good price from a national chain, go to World Market. My family loves, loves, loves World Market. We buy all kinds of things there: spices, olive oil, dog stuff, kitchen utensils, and unique gifts for people. The prices are amazing.

#151764 - 09/26/09 02:20 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

luckdragon, I buy most of my furniture from North Carolina. Love the quality and love the prices. I can't imagine paying retail or anywhere close to that locally and with white glove delivery from NC, even high-end brands are affordable. \:\)

Here is a nice article on Hobby Lobby. I have always liked that they close on Sunday allowing their employees time off with family and worship. \:\)

http://money.aol.com/article/hobby-lobby-increases-full-time-employee/428966?icid=sphere_wsj_teaser

Deana

#151766 - 09/26/09 06:51 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: holidayaholic]
Holland Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Santa Barbara CA USA
They seem to be slower putting Christmas displays up here in the Santa Barbara/Ventura California area. When I stopped by Lowes and Target they only had a few items out with lots of empty shelves to fill. I am guessing it will all be out in another week or two. Nothing is out at K-mart or Home Depot here.

Kohl's had a Christmas display next to a display for Halloween. As a little boy walked by the displays he asked his mother which came first, Halloween or Christmas. I guess it could be pretty confusing to kids to see it all up at once. It is never too early for me!

#151768 - 09/26/09 07:27 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Ginny]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

I may have to pick up a How to Knit & a How to Crochet booklet. I learned how when I was a kid from both my grandmother AND my great-grandmother but it has been a few years. Back then, I was the ONLY lefty in the family and had to learn from them and they were both righties . . . but being a left handed person in a right handed world . . . I've learned to adapt and just mirror reverse the steps in my mind and "just do it" as I have done with most things, sports included.

My Mother had saved many of my grandmothers knitting needles. She knitted the most beautiful and very difficult patterns. I think there must be a whole dresser drawer of them at my Dad's house. Of course us grandkids in Texas didn't have much use for them but the grandkids that lived in CT could actually wear them. I've saved a few of Mother's sweaters that my grandmother knitted just for sentimental value.

I need to remember to check out the knitting section next time I stop in Hobby Lobby. With winter coming, now would be a good time to knit some gorgeous afhgans.

Deana

#151773 - 09/26/09 09:15 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Qwackertoo]
jrudy Offline
Elf Manager

Hey Deana,
A little off topic, but I'm a lefty also.

Jeanette

#151785 - 09/27/09 01:42 AM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: jrudy]
Santa Girl Offline
Elf VP

Loc: San Diego, CA
Today I went into Macy's here and wondered through their themed Christmas tree display. It was like a Christmas wonderland for 1/2 hour this afternoon. They hadn't received any of their find crystal ornaments yet. A tiny shelf of Dept 56 of maybe 3 different buildings. Tons of Jim Shore products that were very expensive.

Renee'

#151787 - 09/27/09 08:08 AM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Qwackertoo]
dragon Offline
Elf VP

Loc: MA
 Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo

I guess we are lucky in our smaller town, we have TWO Hobby Lobby's.
Deana

Hey Deana,

Want to send one of them to Maine? \:\)

I've read so often on here about people going to Hobbby Lobby and finding wonderful stuff, great sales etc. but have never seen or heard of one around here. I went to their website and checked store locations, hmmm...the closest one is about 463 miles from me in NY. Looks like they don't have any in New England. \:\(

My daughter worked at Michael's for a couple of months this summer. She said people on vacation were always stopping in looking for stuff that they had seen at their "home" Michael's but couldn't find it at ours. Her manager told her they were the smallest Michael's in the entire chain so they often don't stock what the others do. That confirmed what I felt when I first went there, tiniest Michael's I'd ever been to!

I do appreciate it when everyone here lets us know when a store has something new out, I don't get into "the city" to check everything out too often.

Karen

#151797 - 09/27/09 12:21 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: dragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Karen, I feel your pain. There aren't any Hobby Lobby stores in California either! The closest is Arizona. At the Hallmark event where people decorated stockings I was asking someone about some cute non-Hallmark stuff on their decoration and of course the answer was it was just a few dollars at Hobby Lobby! Argh!

Deana, you are so lucky you learned to knit and crochet; I bet it would be easy for you to pick it back up again. I never learned. I'd probably poke an eye out trying. ;\)

#151799 - 09/27/09 12:39 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: Diana*]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Try Knitting for Dummies. That's how I learned to knit. My mom taught me to crochet, but I've forgotten it. Knitting's easier.

#151812 - 09/27/09 03:08 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Deana, two members of my art journaling group recently took up knitting. One of the gals modeled her first project, a beautifully knitted hat in her favorite color. Looked fabulous on her!

Here's the two books that she said really helped her: The Knitter's Companion: Expanded and Updated by Vicki Square and Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus. I think the book Luckdragon used was also mentioned.

I would definately need the Knit Fix book!

Lisa

#151815 - 09/27/09 03:52 PM Re: Saw new Christmas stuff in a store today... GORGEOUS! [Re: grandma lise]
fab5friend Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Overland Park, KS
We've got Hobby Lobby in Houston too. I live in the western burbs and there are 2 close by, one of which just opened about a year ago. Not sure how many there are once you go into the city proper.

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them" --- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Moderator