YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
1533 Members
15 Forums
26240 Topics
324382 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161114 - 01/25/10 10:46 AM What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments?
Galloping_Cat Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Alabama
I had a lively discussion with a friend yesterday regarding licensed ornaments. The two sides of the discussion boiled down to this:

Opinion 1: prefer ornaments with unique, original designs with universal appeal.

Opinion 2: prefer ornaments based on licensed products, which interpret favorite characters in a unique way for the holidays.

So, now I'm curious. Is there a consensus on this board?
Design Preference Poll
Multiple choices allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/25/10 10:46 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#161116 - 01/25/10 10:48 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Galloping_Cat]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
In my opinion, I prefer a well-done ornament, whether that's licensed or otherwise. I'll take a nice non-licensed over a licensed and vice versa.

It's the quality, look, memory-envoking appeal of the ornament that makes me want to buy it, regardless of license or no.

#161119 - 01/25/10 10:52 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: luckdragon]
Jill Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
 Originally Posted By: luckdragon
In my opinion, I prefer a well-done ornament, whether that's licensed or otherwise. I'll take a nice non-licensed over a licensed and vice versa.

It's the quality, look, memory-envoking appeal of the ornament that makes me want to buy it, regardless of license or no.

Well said! Exactly why I purchase ANY ornament!

#161123 - 01/25/10 10:59 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Jill]
AJ&Kim09 Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Elf Manager

Loc: Leighton Alabama
I agree with luckdragon and Jill. I do have young children, and I do look for ornaments of their favorite characters. Just because an ornament features their favorite character does not mean I will buy it though. I have to like the way it looks.

#161125 - 01/25/10 11:05 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Galloping_Cat]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I like both and buy both. The past few years I have been buying more licensed ornaments and part of this is due to the fact that I collect Disney. Just the Disney alone is a good amount and since I collect Peanuts & Looney Tunes (have begun passing on some of the really repetitive characters) tilts the scale towards the licensed as to greater numbers purchased. Plus many of my most favorite artists have retired or planning to retire although some of their recent designs are still in the pipeline. And I have been reluctant to start new series in an effort to cut back.

edited to add: A Christmas Story, Grinch, Polar Express, and many others.

Edited by Qwackertoo (01/25/10 11:12 AM)

#161127 - 01/25/10 11:36 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Qwackertoo]
Dana Zuke Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Santa Clara, Ca.
in the beginning of my collecting years i purchased more licensed. just for the fact i had young children now, my purchases are more balanced. i still buy both.

Dana

#161129 - 01/25/10 11:45 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Dana Zuke]
tiggerfan Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Texas
I prefer both as well- but I do prefer the ornaments to have a Christmas theme. Something to do with Christmas -- garland, presents, stocking hat, etc.

Angela

#161130 - 01/25/10 11:46 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: tiggerfan]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Wisconsin
I buy mostly licensed ornaments. If it wasn't for those, I would probably buy only a few a year.

#161131 - 01/25/10 11:48 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: tiggerfan]
Galloping_Cat Offline
Elf Manager

Originally Posted By: tiggerfan
I do prefer the ornaments to have a Christmas theme. Something to do with Christmas -- garland, presents, stocking hat, etc.

I totally agree with you on this point! I really like to see licensed characters interacting with something "Christmassy".

#161137 - 01/25/10 11:59 AM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Galloping_Cat]
Marilyn K Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I do both.

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." --Charles Dickens

#161139 - 01/25/10 12:00 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Marilyn K]
Duluth_Collector Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duluth, MN
I collect both and it really depends upon the ornament. There are some very well done licensed ornaments and some very well done unique ornaments. Likewise, there are some very badly done licensed ornaments and some very badly done unique ornaments.

#161146 - 01/25/10 12:17 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: Galloping_Cat]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Wisconsin
There may be stipulations in the contracts that the licensed characters cannot be doing something 'Christmassy.' Besides, by keeping Christmas out of it, you can sell the ornaments to people who wouldn't buy Christmas ornaments. I have a Jewish friend that buys a lot of the licensed ornaments but probably wouldn't if they were 'Christmassy.' Besides, they are Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments. Nothing in the title says they are intended for solely for Christmas.

#161148 - 01/25/10 12:19 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: Jill]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
I also agree with luckdragon, but when I look at my collection, most are original designs.

I think what influences me most, licensed or otherwise, is originality - (Christmas Window); unique color combinations - (Yuletide Treasures); texture - (Donna Lee's vintage animal ornaments); detail - (Father Christmas); - and the emotional tone - (WTP, 91 - 93). I also prefer ornaments that I can build into a theme for a tree - (Tracy Larsen's Nick and Christopher, later combined with Kringlewood Farms; Sue Tague's sewing ornaments).

Of my licensed ornaments, the designs are almost all based on books - (Winnie the Pooh, Dr. Seuss) - and a lot of classic book or fairy tale characters that would have been licensed in their day.

I rarely buy ornaments related to television or movies, but there are exceptions: Snoopy, a huge favorite because it reminds me of raising our three boys, and Looney Tunes, though it is my least favorite collection.

That said, I've been trying to figure out why Winnie the Pooh has fallen out of favor with me.

What I discovered yesterday is that the ornaments I most treasure, from 1991 - 1993, were designed by Hallmark Artist Bob Siedler. When you compare those ornaments to today's WTP, they are very different. The 1991 and 1992 ornaments are richly detailed, convey a variety of emotions, and are decorating a tree. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/S...oh/IMG_0138.jpg The 1993 ornaments are having a blast playing in the snow with a variety of items - (including fry pans!) - though Eeyore clearly is terrified of sledding, and owl with his hot water bottle is looking quite cold. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/S...oh/IMG_0134.jpg

With the newer WTP ornaments, with the exception of Eeyore, the ornaments convey only joy, and occassionally wonder. Though some are quite creative and innovative, in general, they lack the variety of personalities and emotions that we experience in day to day life.

Thanks for posting this question Galloping Cat. I've been thinking about it too.

Lisa

#161150 - 01/25/10 12:35 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornaments? [Re: grandma lise]
tiggerfan Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Texas
I really need to find the 1993 Winnie the Pooh ornaments - I love them, but for some reason, just didn't get them at the time. I have the 1991/1992 ornaments though. I am sure that I will find them one day. :-)

Angela

#161151 - 01/25/10 12:37 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: MeowRalphMeow]
Galloping_Cat Offline
Elf Manager

Originally Posted By: MeowRalphMeow
Besides, by keeping Christmas out of it, you can sell the ornaments to people who wouldn't buy Christmas ornaments.

I suspect that your opinion is that held by many corporations. (I hadn't thought about the HMK ornaments being called "Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments" before. It brings to mind the Kurt Adler "Holiday Tree" labeling, and the rise of use of trees for other holidays like Haloween, etc.)

However, in looking back through my personal collection of licensed ornaments, it seems like I generally skip them if they don't have a connection to Christmas in some way. I guess I personally don't like the idea of losing sight of Christmas in the midst of all of the commercialization, so I try really hard to find ornaments that convey the wonder, joy, amazement, and awe of the Christmas season.

#161166 - 01/25/10 02:57 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: Galloping_Cat]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
I collect both for different reasons.
Some I love for original designs that mean "Christmas" to me.
Others I love for being reflective of our family's interests. So even though it is just a tricycle, it reminds me of getting a bike for Christmas. The Lunar Lander may not seem at all Christmassy to some, but instead it symbolizes my mate's involvement in the space program. In a way, some licensed properties can even be more meaningful personally, and great fun to see on the tree. Plus I LOVE the theme wreath and tree possibilities.

#161170 - 01/25/10 04:20 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: MeowRalphMeow]
ILuvChristmas Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Apex, NC
 Originally Posted By: MeowRalphMeow
There may be stipulations in the contracts that the licensed characters cannot be doing something 'Christmassy.' Besides, by keeping Christmas out of it, you can sell the ornaments to people who wouldn't buy Christmas ornaments. I have a Jewish friend that buys a lot of the licensed ornaments but probably wouldn't if they were 'Christmassy.' Besides, they are Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments. Nothing in the title says they are intended for solely for Christmas.

Or they use them on a Halloween tree..like Ghostbusters for instance.

#161171 - 01/25/10 04:21 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: ILuvChristmas]
ILuvChristmas Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Apex, NC
I like both. I buy just whatever I like.

#161172 - 01/25/10 04:31 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: ILuvChristmas]
homemadebycarol Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Reno, NV
 Originally Posted By: ILuvChristmas
I like both. I buy just whatever I like.

Same here although for me, it's only with some licensed characters. I have sentimental reasons to favor Snoopy more than all other licensed ornaments. I'm a selective Disney fan, again more for sentimental reasons, depending which movies I watched with my nieces when they were growing up and which ones I watched as a kid. I'm less into the Fab 5 because I think they're overdone and Hallmark killed any liking I ever had for Tinkerbell given how many ornaments they make of her over and over again. My recent favorites of the Disney ornaments have been the Precious Moments ones. I do like the Madame Alexander doll ornaments but for themselves, not because they're licensed product.

Beyond Peanuts, Disney and MA, I hardly buy any other licensed ornaments - never got into superheroes or sports ornaments, purged my Star Trek and Star Wars ornaments long ago, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the licensed ornaments but my first preference is that they do have something to do with Christmas. But I'm old school :).

#161192 - 01/25/10 08:10 PM Re: What is your preference - licensed product ornaments or unique ornament [Re: homemadebycarol]
Collector Joy Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
I buy both, some licensed characters for the Grandkids and some for me (like Pooh). I also like the original designs! I have a lot of Series Ornaments and that fills up a most of my Collection.

Joyce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator