YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
2 registered (digitalDREAMBOOK, SandyT), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26155 Topics
323401 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171828 - 07/12/10 06:57 PM Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Paradise - San Diego, USA!
Just thought I'd start a discussion of things to check your orns for, if you haven't already done that. I always check mine before I buy them, so I can make sure I get the best quality version of that orn, don't bring home any with defects or other things wrong with them and that way I have a chance to do it before the store runs out of them. If y'all know what to look out for, you can hopefully catch it before you bring them home.

Here are some of the things I found when checking my order:

Once Upon a Time - every one I checked had a really bad print of the castle page in the book, some worse than others. I ended up settling for the one with the best looking one that still wasn't what I thought was good, but I noticed the photo on the box doesn't have a good page on it either, so maybe this is a problem for all of them. Also, one of the ones I checked didn't have Belle attached to her book! The orn was in 2 pieces, with the "plug" where Belle connects to the book very obviously seen. Other problems were poorly painted orns, some with blotches on the back/cover of the book and one of them had bubbles under the "Once Upon a Time" page.

In the Groove - Many of them had black splotches on Snoopy's face, some black splotches of paint on the red doghouse and a chunk out of the side of the red doghouse that was painted over in red.

Lady Cardinal - I had to go thru several to find one that had a good, clear paint job on the tail and some had some marks on the face of the cardinal.

Noah's Ark - Had to look thru a couple of them to find one with a good paint job.

Good Grilling to All! - Had to look thru a couple of them to find one with a good paint job.

Artist Snoopy - Had to look thru a couple to find one that didn't have black marks on Snoopy's face.

Snow Many Penguins - Had to look thru a couple to find one with a good paint job. Still wonder why the penguins are PURPLE, instead of black!!

O Christmas Chipmunks! - Had to look thru a couple to find one with a good paint job and no extra beige paint on the brown side of the face.

How about you? Were there any problems you found with the orns you were purchasing? I'm thinking if we post them here, it will help some of those who are less observant than we are.

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?!"

#171840 - 07/12/10 07:44 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Karen W2]
ILuvChristmas Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Apex, NC
No problems with any of mine!! \:\)

#171847 - 07/12/10 08:22 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: ILuvChristmas]
Govoni Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Hagerstown,MD USA
I already posted on the thread about the tissue paper but I did have quite a bit of trouble with two ornaments.

_Home for the Holidays...train didn't run smoothly and problem with battery door falling off

_ In the Groove...missing spring in battery compartment and Snoopy only tapped on foot.

I have not noticed any paint problems but then I passed on some cute limited because of them being made of cold cast resin. I refuse to ever buy another of those. Nancy

#171853 - 07/12/10 08:52 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Karen W2]
DeniseC Online   content
Elf VP

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Mine are all good. The paint jobs are perfect. \:\)

DeniseC

#171880 - 07/12/10 11:09 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: DeniseC]
carstairs38 Online   content
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I haven't noticed any problems either, and I got O Christmas Chipmunk and Artist Snoopy. Guess I've been lucky so far.

#171896 - 07/13/10 12:34 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: carstairs38]
mel-gregory Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Valencia, CA
I had to look through several "Bluebell Fairy" boxes to find one with a good paint job. The first "O Christmas Chipmunks" I looked at also had a bad paint job. And I had to get a different Snow Penguin snowflake as well.

Melissa
Black Belt Mom

#171902 - 07/13/10 05:50 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: mel-gregory]
julia Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Oxford, PA 19363
I had same problem with Bluebell Fairy. I went through a whole row in one store and all the same problem with the hair (I think it was mentioned under a different heading). I wound up getting it somewhere else. Everything else I chose was perfect though!

#171912 - 07/13/10 07:49 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: julia]
Santa Girl Offline
Elf VP

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'd double check Home for the Holidays the sound is distorted in most of the display's that I've checked out. I've only found 1 that sounded ok.

#171920 - 07/13/10 10:11 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Govoni]
ILuvChristmas Offline
Elf VP

Originally Posted By: Govoni
I already posted on the thread about the tissue paper but I did have quite a bit of trouble with two ornaments.

_Home for the Holidays...train didn't run smoothly and problem with battery door falling off

_ In the Groove...missing spring in battery compartment and Snoopy only tapped on foot.

I have not noticed any paint problems but then I passed on some cute limited because of them being made of cold cast resin. I refuse to ever buy another of those. Nancy

What is so bad about the cold cast resin vs. the PLASTIC that is used in most of Hallmark ornaments?

#171924 - 07/13/10 10:32 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: ILuvChristmas]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
 Originally Posted By: ILuvChristmas
What is so bad about the cold cast resin vs. the PLASTIC that is used in most of Hallmark ornaments?

Oh my goodness...are you sure you want to get us started? Cold cast resin has gained the nickname "Disaster Plaster."
1. It breaks REALLY easily.
2. It is hard to glue/repair.
3. It weighs a TON, which is bad for several reasons: a. It's hard to find a sturdy branch that can support the weight. b. It's hard to use them in decorating projects because of the way the weight interferes with where you can place them. c. Heavy weight and gravity pull them off trees... Not a good combo: really heavy + easily breakable + hard to fix = broken ornament trash.
4. I think it is less kind in sculpts - doesn't quite pick up the details, is a bit more full and blunt.
5. For some off reason the painting just never looks as nice as the paint on the art plas. Is it because the sculpt is already less detailed so there is more room for the painters to come up with their own lines? Does it need a thicker paint for coverage? I don't know why the painting is usually not as fine, only know that it is generally true that the painting on the resin doesn't usually look as clear and clean as the painting on the art plas.
6. Have I mentioned it breaks easily?
7. It breaks easily.

#171928 - 07/13/10 10:51 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Diana*]
ILuvChristmas Offline
Elf VP

Well to me the resin ornaments just looked better than the some of plastic ones that I feel are way over-priced lol!

#171932 - 07/13/10 11:05 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: ILuvChristmas]
Mary Glynn Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Norwood,Ma USA
Hi

Having a brain freeze here its been this way all morning even at doctors office. What ornaments a resin? I know somewhere in my mind I know the answer

Mary

#171944 - 07/13/10 11:54 AM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Diana*]
Barbara C Offline
Elf VP

Loc: INDIANA USA
 Originally Posted By: Diana*
 Originally Posted By: ILuvChristmas

Oh my goodness...are you sure you want to get us started? Cold cast resin has gained the nickname "Disaster Plaster."
1. It breaks REALLY easily.
2. It is hard to glue/repair.
3. It weighs a TON, which is bad for several reasons: a. It's hard to find a sturdy branch that can support the weight. b. It's hard to use them in decorating projects because of the way the weight interferes with where you can place them. c. Heavy weight and gravity pull them off trees... Not a good combo: really heavy + easily breakable + hard to fix = broken ornament trash.
4. I think it is less kind in sculpts - doesn't quite pick up the details, is a bit more full and blunt.
5. For some off reason the painting just never looks as nice as the paint on the art plas. Is it because the sculpt is already less detailed so there is more room for the painters to come up with their own lines? Does it need a thicker paint for coverage? I don't know why the painting is usually not as fine, only know that it is generally true that the painting on the resin doesn't usually look as clear and clean as the painting on the art plas.
6. Have I mentioned it breaks easily?
7. It breaks easily.

To add to all of the above, The ornament or table top item will also fade very easy in any kind of sunlight.
I try very hard to steer away from anything made from resin.

#171948 - 07/13/10 12:07 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Diana*]
Jane Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
I had to go through two boxes before I found a good B.H. Bugg (Humbug). The first one had a black dot on the back of his head and the second had a yellow dot on the back of his head.

I had to go through two boxes of Father Christmas. The first one had white "gunk" on the bottom of his foot. The second one was fine.

Jane

#171953 - 07/13/10 12:30 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Karen W2]
Claudia Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southlake,Texas USA

I always check the paint job on the Hallmark ornaments I'm buying. This year Freddy F. Freestyle, Snowtop Lodge, green vest and hat needed more paint on the ones I checked. I finally bought the best of the lot.

#171956 - 07/13/10 12:37 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Diana*]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I have two marks on Woody's face in High-Flyin' Friends, but I didn't bother to take it back. I'm considering it "character" like he's been played with. Besides, the store's out of them right now.

My "Once Upon a Time" was perfect:

Not a flaw on her.

#171973 - 07/13/10 02:53 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: luckdragon]
julia Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Oxford, PA 19363
Funny, cause my sister pointed out the High Flying Friends and Woody's face also. She went through a couple of boxes to find a good one.

#172027 - 07/13/10 07:48 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Karen W2]
magster2 Offline

Loc: Boston area
My Animal muppet ornaments have nearly ZERO volume. I changed batteries but still have to put my ear an inch away from the ornament to hear anything. I'm definitely disappointed.

#172043 - 07/13/10 09:43 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: magster2]
Sue Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, Maryland
I only checked Lady Cardinal and Chip and Dale at the store....I did have to get another Chip and Dale at another store since the ones that were on my store's shelf had problems, too. I used to check them at the store but it is much easier to do it at home and the store has no problem with me bringing them back.

Today I finally worked up the courage to check my other ornaments. I had to do an exchange for:

Snowtop Lodge

Pontiac GTO

Artist Snoopy...a lot of issues with this as Karen has mentioned. I wasn't finding a good one on the shelf but the assistant manager found an excellant one up near the front of the store. He told me someone else had been in to replace Snoopys that had been bought.

Green Eggs and Ham...lots of problems with both the inside and the outside of the book. Because the cover is so shinny a lot of "stuff" is quite noticeable. I picked the best that was there but will look again when a new shipment comes in.

Scrooge...minor problem but still replaced it.

Smiling Soldier...one of the two I gotten had an indentation in the front of the hat (I think someone on another thread talked about a piece of of it). My store was out of these but I found a privately owned store whose owner did an exchange with me even though he said he hadn't put them out (so he knew I hadn't gotten it there).

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

#172382 - 07/15/10 09:56 PM Re: Be on the lookout! Orns with problems to watch out for [Re: Sue]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
We had to go through several Fearless Crews before we found one with all the letters on the flag.

Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator