YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (susan in florida), 88 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325459 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175985 - 08/27/10 09:47 PM Greer Signing
humpdiddly Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Spartanburg SC USA
Well the dinner was great and the local club did a great job. The club tried to organize the food line by allowing certain tables to go at a time but within 15 mins there was a line due to people who could not wait. Overall the food was pretty good, and the dessert table was loaded.

The Negative of the dinner:

1. Hallmark showed up with bingo cards that werent even enough for half the room. They tried to make up for it by offering 2 games then switching cards with people who didnt have a card the first game. They still had about 8 people without a card.

#175991 - 08/28/10 12:16 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: humpdiddly]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greer, S.C.
The bar-b-que was pretty good but I am from K.C. and you cannot beat K.C. Bar-b-que but they did a real good job on the dinner. Had a nice selection of foods and it was all good but the chicken was not done and the bar-b-que sauce was not good at all and thin as water but everything else was good. Now I sound like a food critic. Ha ha. But, just wanted to say that I thought that the local club did an excellent job on the party.

There was no question and answer session with the artists but they were not given that opportunity.

Got to see a lot of people there. Donna and Herb and Mary Lou Tucker and her daughter and Ralph Bailey and Jason and Suzy and her daughter and lots more that I cannot even think of right now. I went to bed when I got home but got heartburn from the dinner, and couldn't go to sleep. I had planned on getting up at 2am anyway and being at the store by 4AM for the signing. Several of us are going to meet there at 4.

There is one problem with the signing and that is the store owner has decided that you will only be able to get 2 signatures total. I spent Thursday morning in the store talking to them about it and they won't back down on it. I bet that they do today. People haven't come from all over to get 2 signatures.
That means that if you buy the Amoire and have both artists sign it then that is all you can get. Not good but we shall see.
More later, Mary

#175994 - 08/28/10 02:53 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: humpdiddly]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Paradise - San Diego, USA!
I wonder why Hallmark wasn't able to come up with enough of these cards for the Bingo games! They were just ordinary card stock.

We were at the Don Palmiter dinner, the very first weekend. We were only able to play 1 round of Hallmark Bingo, since the dinner took forever to come, between the salad to the entree and Lynn told us that we had a choice of either playing another round of Bingo or getting the armoires signed by Don that night! We played it until the very first people got Bingo (there were about 3 or 4 people who got it at the same time) and then it was over.

She then told us we wouldn't receive our repaint "Berry" Sweet Bears, unless we turned in our Bingo cards! We couldn't even take one home as a souvenir, since she said they had to use them over again, at the next dinner! You went up to the table where Don was signing, surrendered your Bingo card and only then were you handed a repaint BSB!

Seems to me that since Hallmark is in the card business, it wouldn't have hurt to let members take home their Bingo card if they wanted it and then just make more cards for subsequent artist dinners.

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?!"

#175995 - 08/28/10 06:42 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: marywarning]
Stephanie Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Branchburg, NJ
 Originally Posted By: marywarning

There is one problem with the signing and that is the store owner has decided that you will only be able to get 2 signatures total. I spent Thursday morning in the store talking to them about it and they won't back down on it. I bet that they do today. People haven't come from all over to get 2 signatures.
That means that if you buy the Amoire and have both artists sign it then that is all you can get. Not good but we shall see.
More later, Mary

That is crazy! It is one thing if there were so many people and everyone could only make it through the line once... but to just say 2 total for the whole day is ridiculous. Hopefully things will get smoothed out as the day progresses. Let us know how it goes! Have fun \:\)

#176010 - 08/28/10 02:15 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: humpdiddly]
Claudia Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southlake,Texas USA
 Originally Posted By: humpdiddly
Well the dinner was great and the local club did a great job. The club tried to organize the food line by allowing certain tables to go at a time but within 15 mins there was a line due to people who could not wait. Overall the food was pretty good, and the dessert table was loaded.
The Negative of the dinner:
1. Hallmark showed up with bingo cards that werent even enough for half the room. They tried to make up for it by offering 2 games then switching cards with people who didnt have a card the first game. They still had about 8 people without a card.

Approximately how many people attended the Friday night dinner? I'm just curious since they ran out of bingo cards.

Do you have a photo of the southern beach party theme cake that you can post? If not, please tell us what it looked like.

#176013 - 08/28/10 03:08 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: Claudia]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Yes, they changed it. People kept taking in more ornaments to get signed and I didn't know it so all I got signed was my Amoire and then I went and got something to eat and home to take a nap and then back to the signing and only was able to get 2 signed. I got in line this morning at 3:30 and hadn't been to bed yet so I was getting tired. Glad that I didn't have to work it.
It was not a good signing. Everything was confusing and up in the air and no one knew what was going on.
I didn't understand about the bingo cards either but that is the way that everything went. Ha ha.

No, I didn't take any pictures but lots were taken and I am sure that Loo Ann will post some. At the dinner on Friday night were 110 people and at least half didn't have a bingo card. So we played two games and then had to give our cards to someone that didn't have one and they played 2 games. Strange.

At the dinner last night I did win an old Snowman Center piece that folds up. Happy the Snowman. Orginial cost was $3.59. Came out in 1988. It was never put together, so still orginial in package.
Mary

#176014 - 08/28/10 03:12 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: marywarning]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

I forgot to say that I think that their cake was a fake because they never did cut it. They cut a sheet cake but not the round one, 3 tiers tall.
I also forgot to say that they sold out early on the Amoires. By ten I would say. There was a line all the way down on the outside and wrapped around the side and then all the way down the back of the shopping center with the dumpsters. Ha ha.
I have been to events in K.C. that wasn't that bad for the lines that we had here.
Mary

#176016 - 08/28/10 03:33 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: Claudia]
HAL1069 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The Greer Signing:
I'll do my very best to describe the dinner and signing in Greer, SC this weekend:
I drove over to Greer Friday morning with our club president. It took about 2 1/2 hours but we did stop for lunch and some shopping so we didn't arrive at the Holiday Inn Express until 4 PM. Its a great little place to stay with a great staff; I was very impressed!
The dinner was at 6 PM. I took some pictures of the decorations and will get my neighbor to help me post them on my face book account. It was very nicely done; the dessert table was like looking at a football field of cakes! The host club really did a great job! The beach cake that someone asked about was very nice with 2 or 3 layers like a wedding cake, and some of the cup cakes were decorated with M&Ms or chocolate; there sure is a lot of talent in that club!
The dinner itself was good. I'm not a BBQ fan, even though you can't get more Southern than me, so I'll defer to others to comment on that. I thought there was enough food and it was fairly well served and presented. I certainly didn't leave hungry!
The signers didn't seem to mingle at all. I don't know if they were scared of us or had been told to just stay put. It seemed a bit uncomfortable. The store owners were there, too. Stacy, the Hallmark representative, seemed very nice and was most gracious. She was extremely embarassed that we didn't have enough BINGO cards for all of us to play at the same time. She handled the situation as fairly as it could have been. There were several winners at each game. NOTE TO HALLMARK: YOU'RE IN THE CARD BUSINESS: GET SOMEONE TO COUNT THE CARDS BEFORE THE GAME STARTS!! MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ENOUGH FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE RSVP'D TO THE EVENT!!
I won a door prize shortly after we were seated. It seemed that just about everyone won something. The prizes were both ornaments and other gifts. You were basically just given whatever the person had in their hand that was closest to your table. I asked for an ornament instead of the book offered and I was able to get it. I think the club and owners were very generous with all the prizes that they gave away.
The artists were introduced but never spoke. There was no question and answer session with them. Again, they just seemed distant. True, I didn't go over to the table to chat with them so perhaps this is just my fault.
We were told by the store owner that we would only be able to purchase one armoire each on Saturday.
As far as room hopping, I had brought some ornaments to sell and actually sold enough to pay for my trip! I also bought a few, too! There weren't that many rooms open for hopping but it was fun to chat with everyone about our addiction! This was my first time to sell so I was a bit nervous, but it went extremely well.
The next morning people were in line outside the store at 1 AM!! I got there about 5:30 AM and was number 30 something. It was a fun group there as we watched the sun come up; the first group to arrive set up a card table and played right up until we were given 2 tickets; one for the armoire and one for the signing. The tickets were given out starting at 8 AM.
Mary Warning was there, and what a gracious fun lady! (I'm looking forward to seeing you in Kansas City!) I also saw Loo Ann Roberts! There were lots of people from COOL there, too!
We were allowed in to purchase our armoire and then ushered back out side to wait for our signing time. At this point, I had what I had come for and was ready to go home! I was able to help someone purchase an additional piece and another person was gracious enough to make sure that some special people who weren't there will have a nice surprize soon! Thank you to the kind and generous people who helped out with this!
I'm sure, however, that there had to have been several people who weren't able to purchase an armoire. I believe there were only 290 peices available and just about all the tickets had been given out before the store opened. Someone counted at least 190 to 200 in line with more getting in line every few minutes.
We didn't stay for the signings. I was so sleepy! We left about 10 AM. People were still going in to purchase their peices. I gave my signing ticket to a fellow local club member so that she could use it and we got back on the road. I got home about 12 noon and took a much needed 2 hour nap!
I really had a good time. I can't say great because there seemed to be so much stress with this event. It seemed there was too much uncertainity about whether we could get an event peice. I really feel that Hallmark needs to rethink how they handle events like this. Many people were very anxious.
I don't want to end on a down note: Thank you to the Greer club for hosting this event! You did a great job and I thank you for your warm Southern hospitality!

Ralph \:\)

#176017 - 08/28/10 03:37 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: marywarning]
suzy167 Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Southlake, Texas
I took tons of photos....not really sure how to post them here, but will put up an album on FaceBook!! Friend me if you want to see them, or tag yourself.

The local club put on a very cute party. It was certainly not their fault that the Bingo did not happen correctly. I thought that whole story about "not knowing how many people to expect" was not very believable. (That is what Hallmark rep said) They wanted us to play 2 games, then run around the room switching cards with people....Not good.

We had received a raffle ticket at the door; everyone had one, and it seems to me that that it would have been more fair to all to just draw for the bingo prizes. Oh well....

They did cave on the "2 signature" rule at the store today It was fun! Even though it was incredibly early.

Saw tons of friends from all over; can't wait to see everyone again in Kansas City!!

#176051 - 08/29/10 12:41 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: suzy167]
btowndude Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Central Valley of CA
[quote=suzy167]They did cave on the "2 signature" rule at the store today [/quote

When did the store change its mind about their "only 2 signature" rule? What type of new rule was substituted? Were you able to go through the signing line as many times as you wanted?

#176055 - 08/29/10 04:11 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: btowndude]
humpdiddly Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Spartanburg SC USA
Stephanie the Hallmark rep. with the artist changed the rule. 2 signatures per artist and that was at 10am signing time. She said feel free to go back outside and get in line. Being one of the first signing the artist were very talkinative and having alot of fun.

#176057 - 08/29/10 05:50 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: humpdiddly]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

They were going to (the owners of the store) only let us have the Amoire signed and that was it. I put in a couple of bad days before the event because of all the people coming in for it and even argued with them at the store about it and they wouldn't back down but then they finally did thank the good Lord.
Mary

#176061 - 08/29/10 07:41 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: marywarning]
suzy167 Offline
Elf Manager

I am sure the rep just explained to them that that was simply not the way signings are done. They have no experience with hosting signings; there are several people around the area who have been to many, but I did not get the impression that they really were interested in finding out details of the proper protocol involved.

But in the end, it worked out. I am positive that by 1 pm, there was no line at all. I was gone by then.

#176065 - 08/29/10 08:26 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: suzy167]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Suzy,
No, the line went on and on clear up until they cut it off so the ones in line could be done by 3.
I was there until then.

No, they were not interested in hearing from me because I talked and talked to them on Thursday at the store and couldn't get it thru their head. I needed a hammer, ha ha.

I hope to never go to another signing like that one again.
Where did all these people come from? I had never seen any of them at Premiere or Oct. Debut before or even in the store. I am talking about the ones that didn't travel in from elsewhere.
Mary

#176067 - 08/29/10 08:44 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: marywarning]
suzy167 Offline
Elf Manager

Mary,

Signing events are always like this...many people from all over. USUALLY, it is not required to get to the store in the middle of the night, so to speak, but other than that, it was all fairly normal. The store was quite small to hold an event like that. The owners do have 3 additional stores, however, Hallmark made them hold the event at that location. Can't see the logic in that, but that's just me.

There were a couple of issues regarding people blocking entrances to other businesses, but not much that I saw.

Big shout out to FATZ Cafe!! We were in front of their store for hours.....but they were very nice...they were having a benefit pancake breakfast for a local church, and they proceeded to travel up & down the line selling us tickets to the breakfast. I did not eat, but I did purchase a ticket from them. Some did have the breakfast, though. And I think they also offered a 10% discount on lunch if you went in and said that you were there for the Hallmark event. Anyway, they were good sports!

It was advertised in the local paper, and I am pretty sure that most of the folks in the line before daylight were members of some club or visitors from out of town.

#176072 - 08/29/10 11:03 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: suzy167]
Brandy
Unregistered

Some years ago Hallmark had a serires of events and they had problems at the first ones and they made changes to fix them so the problems did not continue through the last ones.

Why isn't Hallmark doing that this year? I thought they read Yulelog or listened to people at the signings.

From reading all these experiences, including my own, the new normal seems to be you have to get to a signing a day early so you can line up that night at 1 am. Then you have to stay a day later because you're too tired from being up since 1 am (and had to nap most of the day). IF you do get the signing ornament, you may still only get one or two ornaments signed depending on the store owner.

Quick signing trips are over and not much fun in my opinion unless Hallmark does something soon. I miss the old days when the worst problem was arguing with the family where to eat afterwards.

#176074 - 08/29/10 11:39 AM Re: Greer Signing [Re: ]
Mary F. Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Brandy, The past Signings I attended did not have a much valued item to purchase. AND, the Stores did not have around 400 to sell either. That had a lot to do with it.

I am hoping in the future that Hallmark will take this into consideration if the rumors I heard are true. If they plan on having more signing pieces to compliment the Armoire, they better make sure they have enough pieces to sell at each store.

I have attended three signings in Madison WI, one signing at my Sponsor Store (this did not have a signing piece)and one in Kenosha WI. Only one, I stayed overnight in Madison since they had a Hallmark doings the night before. Except for my Sponsor Store, of the other three, we left my house around 6 AM with plenty of time to get in line for the signing times to be given out. Madison is about an hour and a half from my house. Kenosha less than an hour. NONE of the signing pieces were sold out and they never had crowds like this year.

#176078 - 08/29/10 01:05 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: Mary F.]
Brandy
Unregistered

Mary, I have gone to so many signings I couldn't count them. My past experiences were like yours, but those are past now. I was never turned away from one with absolutely nothing until Bloomington. When I finally left the mall, there were only a dozen people standing in line for the signing and they had jumped way ahead in the time tickets. Signing tickets for a store don't work.

When they did the snowman a long time ago the crowd was so big I didn't think I could get one. The Hallmark person said they would make sure everyone got one and the store would take names and Hallmark would shift some around.

Hallmark does focus groups and such, they are not completely blind to what demand will be. If they are making ornaments to match for the future then they really knew they would be popular and that makes me even more upset.

Not directly to you Mary, but those who went this year and were lucky and don't see the problem. I hope the next time, if you aren't so lucky you'll still see the signings as wonderful too.

#176085 - 08/29/10 03:57 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: humpdiddly]
Donna Schweiger Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Danville, VA USA
Four Timely Treasures friends from Danville, VA attended the Greer, SC signing event this weekend and had BIG fun. We drove down Friday afternoon, but didn’t attend the dinner. We did enjoy a delicious supper at Bucky’s Bar-B-Q though. We like trying local favorites and Bucky’s had received lots of recommendations. Neither Herb nor I care for SC mustard based sauces, but the smoked pork, chicken and ribs were quite moist and flavorful, without sauce - another testament to good BBQ. And oh my! The sweet potato crunch was so good!

Later after staking out the store, we went over to the Holiday Inn Express and visited with new and familiar “collecting friends” in the lobby and 2-3 rooms of “hopping”. It was good to be around Hallmark friends and look forward to KC event next year.

We decided we should arrive by 6:00 to assure the trip was not in vain for material things, so we set up our folding chairs in line about 5:30. The first quartet of people in line had arrived at 1:00 am and spent the morning hours playing cards. One couple directly behind them amazingly slept on pallets stretched out over the concrete. In our area of the line, about 40 back, we stayed busy chatting away again with friends, old and new. Kim, a friendly local club member came by from time to time and answered questions or sought answers.

Around 8:00, after one of the owners came by and explained how the process would work, it began - with each individual receiving one ticket to purchase an Armoire, to begin at 9:00, and one signing ticket to begin at 10:00 or whenever the artists arrived. The artists did start signing early, as we had 10:30 signing times, and were ready to leave by 10:40.

Greer had 258 Armoires after Friday night’s distribution and after one pass through the line, had unknown number of tickets remaining. As we approached the door to purchase our Armoires, a woman approached him about her damaged piece, so she received a ticket for her exchange. It appeared there were about 30 tickets left on his roll at that time. When we were in line for our signatures, he had 10 or less. We thought the process of having a “purchase voucher” worked well and had inquired (and hoped) if that might be the case when calling earlier in the week.

It’s always good to have the opportunity to visit with friends and artists, as my friend Fran calls… “Hallmark people”. Herb and I received our Kirlin’s pins from fellow COOLer, David. Thank you again! And we sold some TTCC Mitford and COOL Frosty Friends pins in line. Duh! We should have been hawking them in that line all along. Thankfully someone commented on the pins Fran was wearing. : )

As for the lines, sell-outs of product etc at this year's signings, this is the first time in a long while Hallmark has offered a desirable piece/ornament. The Internet provides more news and word of mouth advertising than just a Hallmark publication did years ago.

We've been going to signings since 1990 and it varies, but there is usually always a line early albeit not as long-even without a unique product. The only other time I remember lining up as early was in 1993, to get a Santa's Favorite Stop. And btw I plan to display my Armoire with that piece... and use it in conjunction with Mrs. Claus Cupboard/Hutch, Christmas Eve Bake off etc. Happy to read a piece from next year's event in KC will compliment the Armoire as well.:)

Thanks for all the reports past, present, and upcoming. I hope everyone desiring an Armoire is able to acquire one.

(Edited to correct 158 Armoires to 258 remaining after Friday night.)

Edited by Donna Schweiger (08/29/10 07:09 PM)

#176091 - 08/29/10 05:01 PM Re: Greer Signing [Re: Donna Schweiger]
sheetmusicman Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Canton, OH
 Originally Posted By: Donna Schweiger
Neither Herb nor I care for SC mustard based sauces, but the smoked pork, chicken and ribs were quite moist and flavorful, without sauce - another testament to good BBQ. And oh my! The sweet potato crunch was so good!

Donna -Just thought I'd tell you that I'm sitting here drooling over my keyboad. You're an excellent writer and should be a food critic. I wonder if there's a Bar-B-Q place in Butler, PA?? Alan \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator