YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
2 registered (digitalDREAMBOOK, SandyT), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26155 Topics
323401 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#182704 - 11/09/10 08:25 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: lkwoody]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Apparently the version on photobucket gets shrunk in the translation, so I'll email it out to the folks on here who have their email in their profile.
If you don't get an email, please email me so that I have your address to forward it. Thanks.
Diana

#182706 - 11/09/10 09:00 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: lkwoody]
cadorothy2003 Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Elk Grove, California, U.S.A.
That is so cute. Thanks for putting it together. I will be using it when I mail my ornaments.

#182734 - 11/09/10 06:42 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: cadorothy2003]
StaceyN Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Idaho

Thank you for the Yulelog card. It's perfect!

#182772 - 11/10/10 08:58 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: StaceyN]
Jofrog23 Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Henderson, NV, USA
I would love to particpate too! Lori I sent you a PM for the address.

Diana what a cute card - I'll print it and enclose with my package.

This is such a great idea and hopefully the troops will feel a little closer to home!

Jody

He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.

#182777 - 11/10/10 09:57 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Jofrog23]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

I think the image shrinks on photobucket so isn't very good to use as intended. Jody, I sent the full size image to you in an email. That should work.
Diana

#182779 - 11/10/10 10:21 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Diana*]
PamC
Unregistered

I'd like to participate. Please send me the address as well. Thanks, Diana!
While looking thru ornaments to ship to the military, I ran across 10 bags, 25 each brass hooks that I'll be sending. Course they could use ribbon (pkg. wrap, etc) to hang orn.

My pkg. of ornaments (stuffed full), & 2 boxes of HM cards were mailed 11/12. I couldn't get the 2 journals & 2 more boxes of cards I had ready to fit! I'll be sending a treat filled box soon & add it to those.

Edited by PamC (11/15/10 04:12 PM)
Edit Reason: update on shipment

#182789 - 11/10/10 11:05 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: ]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Diana, thanks for doing this, and also for emailing the image. It's great - (and any envelope will work; remember, the envelope is often thrown away within seconds of opening the card) - and I'm looking forward to making a card with it!

Lisa

#182822 - 11/10/10 09:32 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

I spoke again with my friend who traveled with her husband during his time in the service and asked her for guidance on what ornaments to send - (as is usually the case, I have too many ideas).

Her first suggestion was anything that reminds them of home. I pressed her further and she said ornaments or decorations that they will identify with america. I asked her about patriotic ornaments. She said absolutely, any kind. When I asked her about religious ornaments, she explained that while the service men and women often wear crosses, they recognize that they are in a Muslim country and are sensitive to the people's beliefs. Therefore, religious ornaments or bibles probably are not appropriate. When I asked about Christmas trees, she said some Muslims put up a Christmas tree and decorated them too!

She also said they LOVE nerf footballs - (not the small ones, the bigger ones) - because they don't lose their air.

I'd appreciate hearing from other family and friends who are in regular contact with our service men and women overseas. I'll be shipping my box next week. (And I can't wait to show you what I'm sending...I'm so excited!).

Oh, almost forgot, I also asked her if I packed carefully if she thought I could ship a few glass ornaments. She said unbreakables are really better because our shipments will be transferred between and transported in many different types of aircraft including helicopters. After thinking about it, that made sense. I buy items from the east coast. By the time they arrive here on the west coast, boxes sometimes are partially crushed or have a hole in the side...

Lisa

#182890 - 11/11/10 08:18 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: grandma lise]
lkwoody Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Salem, OR
Wanted to let you know that I e-mailed the Sergeant to acknowledge his request and let him know that ornaments are on the way. Following is his response:

Hello Lori,

This is great news. The Soldiers and Noncommissioned Officers with me here at Forward Operating Base Tillman are very grateful for the support, it will truly help bring a little joy to our holiday season.

Again, thank you from all...

Sincerely,
Matthew

Lori

#182904 - 11/12/10 05:01 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: lkwoody]
cnichols Offline
Elf VP

Loc: LP, TX ... USA
what about garland and tinsel and bows (I don't ;ole to cover my ornaments with icicles but guys LOVE them??? probably help with cushioning, vbg .....

#182916 - 11/12/10 09:11 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: cnichols]
StaceyN Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Idaho

I might have to send an extra box but I plan on sending a tree skirt...

#182923 - 11/12/10 09:59 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: StaceyN]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I would add a tree topper to my package but I'm afraid that I shouldn't send an Angel Topper, considering their location, and that is all I have unless I run out and buy a Star. Maybe I'll do that later this morning.

#182926 - 11/12/10 10:30 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Qwackertoo]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Thanks for sharing the note, Lori.

I couldn't get to my boxes of Hallmark ornaments, so had to grab what was handy, with one exception...I HAD to find "The Yule Logger" ornament to include!

It was actually hard to find ornaments that I thought they'd like. I tend to gravitate towards cutesy angels, Barbies, Disney. Somewhere I have a huge box of patriotic ornaments, including tin ones which would have been great to include. I'm bummed I don't have time to dig around to find them. But I wanted to get the box out asap.

I ended up sending one of those sleeping dogs in a Santa hat, Shaquille O'Neill (I flattened the box and put it in there so somebody could have it after Christmas), Cool Decade, and as noted above, The YuleLogger. Also a Habitat of Humanity house, and a couple of packs of glitter shatterproof balls, and matte finish shatterproof balls.

So I went shopping (any excuse to go shopping will do) to find some really flat ornaments...figured the thinner they were the more I could fit in the box. Bought eight charming clay ornaments, and some thin wooden triangular Santas.

Along the line of "thin is in" was a Hallmark George Strait Christmas CD, and some hand warmer packs. That last one might not be festive, but I'm sure they can be useful and appreciated.

Bought a Santa Hat so somebody could either play Santa, or they could use it as a tree topper. I included a picture of one of my trees wearing a Santa Hat so they could see how it looks. Figured that was thinner and easier to pack than a full topper.

I bought more food than could fit in the box. Finally settled on Harry and David munch bars, pretzels, beef jerky, Nilla Wafer cookies, red vines licorice, granola bars, and hot chocolate mix (a safe way to send chocolate that won't melt. LOL.)

This has been heart warming and fun!

#182927 - 11/12/10 10:30 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Diana*]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Ok, here's my box. It was hard getting this to fit into the large priority mail box, but I managed except had to take out two of the silver shatterproof balls but everything else was squeezed in:

#182930 - 11/12/10 11:04 AM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Diana*]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

All of my ornaments I've selected are MIB . . . should I flatten them and include a note that they can re-pack them for their trip back home to the USA or just toss them?

I'm having a hard time deciding too. I figured out yesterday my big box of patriotic ornaments are at storage but I have managed to find Hooray for the USA and Flag of Liberty amongst some boxes here at home to include. Need to go find some more stuff. I'm up to a dozen so far last count.

#182935 - 11/12/10 12:09 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Qwackertoo]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Can you see the tinsel stem garland in this picture? I'm sending 24 kits for the service men and women in this unit to make their own garland. Each kit contains 72 4" tinsel stems that include 24 red, 24, gold, and 24 silver 4" tinsel stems that are formed into 1" chain links. It's fun, easy to do, and once complete, they will have 24 6 foot chains of tinsel garland. This idea was given to me by a Festival of Trees decorator who used this garland for a vintage tree. I made it for my vintage trees a few years later, and thought this activity might help the unit get into the spirit of the holiday!

I have more to send but that's still in process! Thanks for the pictures so far. Diana, I think your box is going to be a hit!

Lisa

#182938 - 11/12/10 12:25 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Qwackertoo]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Just back in from a trip to the store where I "almost" bought a few boxes of mini lights, the boxes were very small for 100 lights but not knowing the plug type/style nor voltage . . . I decided against it.

#182947 - 11/12/10 02:06 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: grandma lise]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo
All of my ornaments I've selected are MIB . . . should I flatten them and include a note that they can re-pack them for their trip back home to the USA or just toss them?
I think it's nice to flatten the boxes and let them decide if they want to rebox or toss them. Flattened boxes take very little room. The only exception I'd recommend is Jazzy Jalopy, I think that was on your list...it has some teeny bits on it so I'd send that one in the box to protect it. Takes more room, but then it'll get there in good shape.

Originally Posted By: grandma lise
I'm sending 24 kits for the service men and women in this unit to make their own garland.

Lisa, that's a fun idea to send an activity. That garland is cute and does look vintage!

Am I the only one wishing one of the service men/women would take a picture of the finished tree for us to see?

#182952 - 11/12/10 03:25 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Diana*]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Diana*
The only exception I'd recommend is Jazzy Jalopy, I think that was on your list...

Sadly, I haven't been able to find that one. Maybe I donated it already. ???

#182954 - 11/12/10 03:59 PM Re: Ornament Request from Military Unit [Re: Qwackertoo]
Stephanie Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Branchburg, NJ
Here are some of the ones I chose to send. I included a Snoopy and some Star Trek and then some others ;\) I sent it out today. I should have filled out the customs form ahead of time as it would have saved some time \:\) I loved seeing the pictures of what others sent! \:\)

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Moderator