YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1538 Members
15 Forums
26363 Topics
325839 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#190262 - 01/23/11 05:13 PM 101 Dalmatians - Another great D23 event with Special Guests!
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Paradise - San Diego, USA!
Yesterday was our day at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, for the screening of "101 Dalmatians" in their state-of-the-art theatre. The event sold out quickly after tickets became available and was very well attended by grown-ups, as well as kids. Tickets for the event were FREE, but there was a $5 ticket fee, which is still a lot less than movie tickets in other theatres.

When we checked in, we each received the special "50 and Fabulous 101 Dalmatians" embroidered patch for the event, that was given to members only, not guests of members (members were allowed to bring one guest per member). Unfortunately, the couple we were bringing with us as guests ended up not being able to make it, since the wife was sick. We also received FREE bottled water, once we were let into the theatre.

Before the movie, we got to see a previously unannounced animated short in color, 1937's "Pluto's Quin-Puplets", that was very cute. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but the title might be a play on words, referring to the Dionne Quintuplets, that were quite a news story in their day, when 5 baby girls were born to the Dionne Family of Ontario, Canada, in 1934.

The movie was just as much fun as I remembered seeing it when I was a child, as well as after we bought the DVD and watched it again. After the film, we were treated to seeing and hearing from 3 surprise guests - Les Perkins (a voice artist, as well as an actor, editor, writer, producer and director for movies and DVD extras, including 101 Dalmatians), Lisa Davis (who performed the voice of Anita, as well as some of the part of Perdita, from the milk scene in the barn to the end of the film, after Lisa Daniels, the original voice artist for Perdita got married and left the production, as well as singing in the alternate film ending, that was deleted from the film, but included in the DVD extras) and David Frankham (who performed the roles of Sargent Tibs, as well as the little Scottish Terrier in the film).

Les led Lisa and David in a panel discussion about working on 101 Dalmatians, sharing lots of memories about it and other things in their career. Lisa said she did tests at Disney for a live action/animated version of "Alice in Wonderland", that was later scrapped for the fully animated version. She said she went to school with Julie Andrews (who some people have thought did the part of Anita instead of her) and Kathryn Beaumont, who became the voice of Alice in the animated feature, among other things.

She said that when she was auditioning for her role, Walt Disney originally wanted her to play Cruella and read that part, with Walt reading Anita's lines. She said she felt more comfortable playing Anita and asked if he would let her read for that part instead, with her reading Anita's part, while Walt read Cruella's! She said after that, Walt changed his mind and let her do Anita instead. She said she recorded all of her lines in the studio by herself, so she didn't have a chance to interact with any other actors who worked on the movie.

She said she could do a great imitation of Zsa Zsa Gabor's voice, who she appeared with in the cult classic, "The Queen of Outer Space". Surprisingly, she didn't give us a demonstration of that. She said that during this point in her career, she did a lot of movies that were "really bad", ones she didn't like, like this one, just to pay the bills. She said she played Zsa Zsa's second in command and that the costumes used in this movie were mostly those that were created originally for the movie "Forbidden Planet". She said she had one costume she really liked and felt she looked really good in, but when she stepped on set wearing it, Zsa Zsa saw how she looked, got upset and demanded that Lisa only wear one costume during the whole movie, one that wasn't very flattering!

David said he's played many parts in many movies that were less than great people, a serial killer in "Return of the Fly", an alcoholic in another, etc. He told us he was in "10 Who Dared" and "Johnny Tremain" for Disney, as well as other movies and TV. An interesting note for those of us in the audience who are old enough to remember the show, he and Lisa were both in the same episode of the show "77 Sunset Strip" (1958-1964). He said for 101 Dalmatians, he really enjoyed working and recording lines together with character actor J. Pat O'Malley, who did other voices in the film.

Other notes mentioned about 101 Dalmatians were that the film was made during a time that had been not going well for animation for Disney and this one was considered a very significant film, since it made the later resurgence and success in animation possible. It was the first animated feature to use a Xerox process (called Xerography) to do all the puppies.

During the course of the film, the puppies are shown a few times, watching the television at Cruella's house, called "Hell Hall". At one point, on the screen is an Ub Iweks animated short of dancing flowers, that they said was called "Spring".

Betty Lou Gerson, who voiced Cruella and Miss Birdwell in the film also was the narrator for Disney's animated classic, Cinderella. I looked up her bio on IMDB and it says she was also on an episode of 77 Sunset Strip, but I guess it wasn't the same one that Lisa and David were in, since they didn't mention it.

When the panel discussion was over, they announced that Lisa and David would be available for signing things at the Studios' cast member store that we had shopping access to, since we went to the event. They didn't announce this ahead of time, so we had nothing with us for signing, so we just checked out the store, bought a couple of pins and left. I was hoping they'd still have some of the great selection of Christmas ornaments they had the last time we were there for the Disney and Dickens Event in December, but unfortunately, they said all their Christmas merchandise was gone.

After this, we had a great dinner at a little hole in the wall Italian restaurant we like in Venice Beach, called C&O Trattoria (they make amazing Killer Garlic Rolls!) http://www.cotrattoria.com/ , went to enjoy a great night of CLEAN competitive improv at our favorite place, ComedySportz LA http://www.comedysportzla.com/about/overview1.html , then came home.

What's next on our D23 agenda? Getting tickets to the "50 and Fabulous" Screening of "The Absent-Minded Professor", being held on March 12, 2011 at the Studios! There will be a "Cars and Stars" event on Valentine's Day, at Chelsea Piers, but we won't be in NYC then, so we'll miss that one.

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?!"

#190267 - 01/23/11 05:34 PM Re: 101 Dalmatians - Another great D23 event with Special Guests! [Re: Karen W2]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I have got to get to one of these things. I have not done anything with my membership other then pay the fees.

#190281 - 01/23/11 06:18 PM Re: 101 Dalmatians - Another great D23 event with Special Guests! [Re: carstairs38]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

If you're at all interested in Disney things (which you must be, since you joined D23, right?), I'd really recommend going to the events! They're a lot of fun and they always do a good job on them. You definitely get more than your (dues) money's worth at them!!

#190307 - 01/23/11 07:27 PM Re: 101 Dalmatians - Another great D23 event with Special Guests! [Re: Karen W2]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I just need to pay more attention to the e-mails I get from them.

And yes, I'm a huge Disnerd.

#191097 - 01/30/11 04:22 AM Re: 101 Dalmatians - Another great D23 event with Special Guests! [Re: carstairs38]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Then the D23 club is the place for you!! \:D

Here's a link to some of the photos we took at the 101 Dalmatians Event:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1...83687&aid=43969

Moderator:  Moderator