YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
4 registered (Betty Peach, 88eggs, AshleyC, 1 invisible), 88 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1542 Members
15 Forums
26419 Topics
326393 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#192536 - 02/13/11 08:03 PM OT; Airplane ticket help
hmarklover Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: West Virginia
Does anyone have tips on how to find low cost tickets to Kansas City in August? I thought this far out would be the best time to purchase air tickets.

Barbara

#192567 - 02/14/11 08:22 AM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: hmarklover]
meam2you Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: North Canton, OH
I don't know if this helps or not, but my husband and I have a trip planned to go to Tampa in March. After checking Orbitz and a couple other sites, we found cheaper air fare on the AirTran website itself. You really have to check around and pay attention to what you're doing! I think we saved a couple hundred dollars by getting our tickets through the airline. Good luck!

#192593 - 02/14/11 03:32 PM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: hmarklover]
KCC Pursuit Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
 Originally Posted By: hmarklover
Does anyone have tips on how to find low cost tickets to Kansas City in August?

I read that ticket prices are usually at their lowest on Tuesdays at 3:00 EST and are at their highest on the weekends. The explanation for this is that some airlines release their discounted fairs on Monday's. In order to remain competitive the other airlines follow suit. This whole process finally settles out on Tuesday. The discounted fairs remain available until Friday when they go back up for the weekend.

~*~ Kansas City '15 ~*~

#192646 - 02/15/11 10:55 AM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: KCC Pursuit]
btowndude Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Central Valley of CA
Kayak is a good search engine to look for airfares and available flight times. It includes a link to Southwest as well as to Priceline, Orbitz, and Travelocity. If one can travel to an airline's hub city, then one will find cheaper airfares, more nonstops, and more choices on flight times. Of course, you have to factor in the cost to travel to that hub airport and the cost of parking.

#192648 - 02/15/11 11:21 AM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: btowndude]
bkbroiler
Unregistered

Go directly to the discount carriers and search their sites. One recommendation I use is often called the "hidden city". The idea is rather than flying directly into Kansas City (where airfares may be higher), try to find another airport within an hour's drive that may not be as popular. Year's ago, we took a trip to DisneyWorld and decided to fly (we're in Maryland). I checked Southwest's site for supersaver fares to Orlando and sure enough...all of the super saver fares were gone months and months in advance. I then checked Tampa airport (about an hour's drive to Disney). Sure enough, tickets available for the entire family for $119 round trip per person. The savings on this for 5 of us well worth driving an hour to our final destination.

#192656 - 02/15/11 03:00 PM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: ]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
I don't know if this matters but American Airlines doesn't let several of the discounters give out AA's information anymore.

#192789 - 02/17/11 09:37 AM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: debbieg]
hmarklover Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the help. So far my "cheap ticket" will be about 375.00 not including baggage fee. Oh, well.

Barbara

#192816 - 02/17/11 03:36 PM Re: OT; Airplane ticket help [Re: ]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
 Originally Posted By: bkbroiler
Go directly to the discount carriers and search their sites. One recommendation I use is often called the "hidden city". The idea is rather than flying directly into Kansas City (where airfares may be higher), try to find another airport within an hour's drive that may not be as popular. Year's ago, we took a trip to DisneyWorld and decided to fly (we're in Maryland). I checked Southwest's site for supersaver fares to Orlando and sure enough...all of the super saver fares were gone months and months in advance. I then checked Tampa airport (about an hour's drive to Disney). Sure enough, tickets available for the entire family for $119 round trip per person. The savings on this for 5 of us well worth driving an hour to our final destination.

There's not an inexpensive airport within an hour of KC. Wichita is about three hours away (and not cheap), and St. Louis is 4 hours away (may be cheap depending on where you're coming from but since I don't fly into there often I can't tell you anything about that). Just thought I'd mention that.

Moderator:  Moderator