YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Forum Stats
1538 Members
15 Forums
26361 Topics
325812 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#192580 - 02/14/11 10:08 AM OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Who's going to watch?

This is my version of the Super Bowl, to be honest. I love watching this dog show. I'd love to go someday (I've been to plenty of dog shows but not this one).

So happy that the Bluetick Coonhound is making its debut at Westminster tonight! That's my favorite Coonhound breed!

Anyone else watch? What breeds do you root for?
Me:
Hound: Basenji is my favorite, followed by Bluetick Coonhound and Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. I'll also root for the Beagles because my grandparents have a Beagle.
Toy: Shih Tzu is my favorite (though I hate show-coat Shih Tzus). I love Cavaliers too except that they get congestive heart failure often. \:\( Been there with a dog, don't want to go there again. I like the Toy Poodles too.
Non-Sporting: Tibetan Spaniel! I also love both Poodles with Standard being my favorite since they're awesome dogs.
Herding: Collie (Smooth)! I'd love to own a Smooth Collie someday. It's in my top 3 favorite dog breeds. I also root for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhunds.

Sporting: Vizsla! Vizsla is my my top 3 favorite dog breeds. I also like American Water Spaniels and Curly Coated Retrievers.
Working: I'm not into Working dogs much, but I root for the Boxer since my mom had a Boxer in her 20s.
Terrier: Border Terrier! My #1 favorite dog breed is the Border Terrier. Will also root for the Welsh Terrier, Glen of Imaal Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

I'm currently stalking the Westminster website looking at the winners so far of the breeds:
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

Hopefully this year, Peta won't make a spectacle of themselves and try to interupt the show with protesters.

#192588 - 02/14/11 02:28 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
SharonB Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: California
I will be watching the dog show with you. My favorite breed is a Boxer. I have a great 8yr old boxer boy so I have to stay loyal to my breed. That said, I do have a real soft spot for the French Bulldog. They are so cute with those little bat ears, and seem to have such great personalities. I always like seeing the new breeds. Sometimes, thought, I think they more resemble Heinz 57 since many are combination of other breeds. But, really, I just love all the dogs, and it's true what they always say that anyone of the Best of Group could be Best in Show. I think it has to do with eye contact!

#192591 - 02/14/11 03:04 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: SharonB]
phoenix Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: IL
Having owned and showed English Mastiffs for 30 years, I never miss Westminster. Second breed we root for is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (our granddog). Love them all but the big working breeds are special to me.

#192592 - 02/14/11 03:12 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
MissVickie
Unregistered

I'm a cat person...but I have to admit they don't put on much of a fun show. LOL. You know what they say "the hardest job in the world would be trying to herd cats." (or make them run in a ring on a leash).

But I do watch many dog shows and I think I've seen most of the Westminster show the past 5 years. Hubby and I enjoy it. I have a partiality to retrievers and setters and he loves pointers. I guess we're more attracted to the sporting dogs.

#192618 - 02/14/11 11:34 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: ]
mel-gregory Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Valencia, CA
When is the show and what channel?

Melissa
Black Belt Mom

#192620 - 02/15/11 12:53 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: mel-gregory]
SharonB Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: California
In my area of north San Diego county, on USA from 8-9PM and then CNBC from 9-11PM. That's tonight, 2/14 and I believe it is the same tomorrow.

#192625 - 02/15/11 06:33 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
MissVickie
Unregistered

Hubby and I watched for a while last night when we got home from taking mom to my sisters'.

My favorites so far...definitely the Bearded Collie. The kind of dog you just want to hug. And The Belgian Tervuren.

#192636 - 02/15/11 08:05 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
Sue Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, Maryland
We don't watch since we don't have cable but every Thanksgiving we watch Purina's National Dog Show that is cohosted by John O'Hurley (runner-up in the first Dancing with the Stars and winner in the rematch). He makes a wonderful commentator for the dog show...is a dog lover and is able to add wonderful insight. There was another dog show broadcast last month on regular tv and while we watched it, it wasn't nearly as much fun as when O'Hurley is a host. The dogs are wonderful to watch and while we never have a favorite at the start we do enjoy seeing all the breeds and sometimes pick one or two that particularly impress us. Two or three years ago there was a "newbie" to the shows and her reaction while she trotted around the ring was to plop herself down puppy style...she had caught sight of her own tail waving behind her and that's how she reacted to it. She would then get up and start trotting and again would see her tail and down again she would go....I imagine by now she is a seasoned show dog and doesn't do things like that anymore but she sure was cute!

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

Edited by Sue (02/15/11 08:07 AM)

#192637 - 02/15/11 09:06 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: mel-gregory]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: mel-gregory
When is the show and what channel?

The second half of the show is tonight 8PM-11PM EST on USA network.

It's really sad that this is the only thing I watch on USA. And almost the only thing on CNBC (sometimes I'll watch a special. Like, I watched the Walt Disney biography thing on CNBC last Sunday night). Nothing against CNBC, I just prefer MSNBC.

Good for last night's winners, and I guess so far I'll pick the Chinese Shar-Pei because my aunt had 3 of them when I was little. But, they're the only dog breed I'm allergic to. \:\(

#192650 - 02/15/11 01:05 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
And since it is bumping White Collar, I'm not happy.

Then again, maybe I can use that extra hour to read some tonight.

#192669 - 02/15/11 05:48 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: carstairs38]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
Tonight will be difficult for us as Kentucky Basketball is on tonight as well.

#192678 - 02/15/11 07:37 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: kindacowboy]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
GO WEIMIE

#192697 - 02/16/11 06:42 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
MissVickie
Unregistered

Okay...the Scottish Deerhound won best in show and yes, he was probably the perfect standard for that breed.

Still, I thought the bearded collie was drop dead gorgeous and perfect in every way. If I were the judge he would have walked away with the award.

In all fairness...being a cat lover I wasn't qualified to judge a dog show. LOL

#192704 - 02/16/11 09:02 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: ]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

The best thing about the Scottish Deerhound winning is that it's not the easiest breed to get your hands on (don't usually see it at a pet store for instance or in the newspaper ads where people advertise dogs for sale). So, that will help because it won't really affect the breed's numbers.

I thought the Pekingese actually showed a bit better than any of them, though I'm not a Peke fan and didn't want it to win. Good for the Scottish Deerhound for making breed history!

#192773 - 02/17/11 12:30 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
StaceyN Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Idaho

I only saw a brief segment but I was routing for the Boxers. At our local dog park, two of my dog's best friends (I know that sounds stupid!) are sibling Boxers.

#192784 - 02/17/11 08:23 AM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: StaceyN]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

That Boxer was robbed. She's a gorgeous specimen and should have won the group in my opinion.

#192806 - 02/17/11 01:31 PM Re: OT: Westminster Kennel Club dog show [Re: luckdragon]
mel-gregory Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Valencia, CA
 Originally Posted By: luckdragon
That Boxer was robbed. She's a gorgeous specimen and should have won the group in my opinion.

I totally agree!

Melissa
Black Belt Mom

Moderator:  Moderator