YuleLog Home
How to Order
YuleLog Links
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5265 Members
15 Forums
21902 Topics
263263 Posts

Max Online: 166 @ 11/18/12 08:16 AM
Hooked On Ornaments

The Ornament Shop

www.ornament-shop.com
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Christmas Classics
Buy Your Textbooks at Amazon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231458 - 09/27/12 11:30 PM 2013 Event Exclusive Products
humpdiddly Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Spartanburg SC USA
Wow the 2013 Event is looking awesome. I am loving all the 2013 products. Digitaldreambook has posted pictures of the 2013 event exclusive ornament.

Edited by humpdiddly (09/27/12 11:31 PM)

#231459 - 09/27/12 11:54 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: humpdiddly]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I love the Season's Treatings ornament for 2013! My family makes candy for Christmas, not cookies, so this represents a tradition for me.

I wonder if they'll make that tray and sell it...

#231461 - 09/28/12 12:28 AM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southern California
Yeah, I can't wait to get Season's Treatings from next year in my hands. The repaint would be nice, too, but it sounds like I'll have to be content with the original.

#231480 - 09/28/12 10:35 AM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: carstairs38]
susan in florida Offline
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
I wish the pre-buy ornament was something better.

The little repaint of miniature Yuletide ride from this year doesn't give me much reason to pay in advance.

Plus I would have to buy things I don't want. Last event you had to get one of every ornament plus the t-shirt and lapel pin .

#231482 - 09/28/12 10:48 AM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: susan in florida]
AshleyC Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Maybe it's just the photos, but the repaint of Season's Treatings and Yuletide Ride just don't look as appealing as the originals. Season's Treatings looks like an underexposed photo or just a darker red. I would have preferred a green tray instead. The color combination of blue and dark brown on Yuletide Ride just doesn't seem to go together. I do like both designs just not the new colors.

#231486 - 09/28/12 12:26 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: AshleyC]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I don't like the colorways either, but in general colorways don't look as good as the originals. And I think I know why. I remember reading on here that most of the time (if not all of the time), the artist doesn't get to pick the colors for the colorways. Someone else does them.

Season's Treatings colorway is especially weird to me because they changed the candy colors. The pecan divinity candy looks really strange in the colorway. If you Google pecan divinity, you won't find a picture of it where it's not white.

Changing the tray color would have been the best choice. Or, you know, picking an entirely different ornament to colorway. They've colorwayed every ornament in that series except for the second one. Isn't that interesting?

I am grateful they picked it though, since it gave us a sneak peek of next year's!

#231492 - 09/28/12 02:27 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: susan in florida]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Paradise - San Diego, USA!
I've got to say I was more than a little "underwhelmed" by the orn "photos" for the event next year, but part of that may be because they weren't actual photos, they were digitally produced versions of the orns. Those always look a bit odd to me.

I think the only one I'm actually interested in, based on the "photos" is the Indigo Bunting, since I already collect the Beauty of Birds series and it looks pretty. I can't figure out why they needed to make yet another moose orn (I didn't buy the regular orn last year), I didn't buy the mini bear on a stick last year (and I'm not going to buy one, just because I know they made a repaint) and the Season's Treatings looks too jumbled up, with too much stuff on that tray, dish or whatever it is. It'll be interesting to see how the regular version looks, compared to the repaint, but I don't think I'll like that one either, So, I may put a break in my series and choose not to get either version. I know, the horror!

Even tho it takes a bit longer to get them, I have never pre-ordered the event merch package, since I haven't wanted all of the orns, and the t-shirt hasn't been good enough, the last 2 times. I prefer to buy only those things I think I want and that's with the plan to look at them and make my real decision, after I see them in person.

I'm not one to buy a "pig in a poke", except for the Grab Bags for $5 or $10 each and even then I haven't cared for all the orns I've received in them either. But since it was that cheap to buy, there's usually one or two orns I've liked in them that's made it worth it.

Maybe as time goes by, they'll show us something better. I hope so.

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?!"

#231497 - 09/28/12 03:00 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Karen W2]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Karen W2
I didn't buy the mini bear on a stick last year (and I'm not going to buy one, just because I know they made a repaint)

Just a quick head's up so folks don't get too confused. The mini bear on a stick ornament is actually coming out on Saturday at Debut. There was not a miniature bear ornament last year.

Oh, and the image that "bear on a stick" is giving me is hilarious. Where I work, we sell this giant rainbow gummy bear, and it's on a stick. That's what keeps popping into my head.

I quite like the Yuletide Rider mini ornament. It's on my Wish List. It's because I have a weird Christmas memory of a stick horse ornament that my mom still has. Apparently as a 2 or 3-year-old, it was on my grandmother's tree, and every time I was at her house, I would take it off the tree and carry that green gingham stick horse ornament with the red yarn hair around the entire time I was there. My grandmother gave it to me on Christmas Eve since I liked it so much. So the stick horse means something to me.

I can vouch that when my family does our candy trays, they tend to look more jumbled than the ornament.

Edit: Speaking of gummy bears...I hope we'll see gummy bears somewhere in future Santa's Sweet Ride ornaments. Since they have the presents on them, maybe put a gummy bear on there too.

Edited by luckdragon (09/28/12 03:02 PM)

#231500 - 09/28/12 03:42 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: luckdragon]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

I didn't check if the "bear on a stick" was from this year, since I thought it was last year. It just didn't grab me like the other orns that I'm getting did, so I didn't remember. I guess because it was a bear and not a horse that was "on a stick" and because I need to cut down on buying new ones, I'm not getting orns just because they're cute.

I have a definite memory of a "horse on a stick" tho, because when I was little, I was a "regular" on the children's show "Romper Room" in LA and part of the show was to ride around on our "Romper Room Broncs" (stick horse). I had one at my house that I'd play with as well. I still have my Romper Room ring and some photos of me on the show from back then. Fun memories!

I imagine we'll be getting more event "Sneak Peeks", as it gets closer to the event, especially since they didn't show us a Nina Aube mouse orn, to go with the one we got at the event last year or the new one this year. I hope we do!

#231501 - 09/28/12 04:20 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Karen W2]
Mary F. Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
 Quote:

I'm not one to buy a "pig in a poke", except for the Grab Bags for $5 or $10 each and even then I haven't cared for all the orns I've received in them either. But since it was that cheap to buy, there's usually one or two orns I've liked in them that's made it worth it.

The grab bag has to be one of the least thing I like at the Events. I never got what I liked in any grab bag (Hallmark or elsewhere). The only reason I have purchased grab bags is because most of them are for charity. With this in mind, I will purchase a grab bag in 2013 still hoping to get something good, like the repainted Seasons Treatings.

#231506 - 09/28/12 04:40 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Karen W2]
nhardy Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Gateway to the West
I keep looking at the Digital Dreambook and wish I could go to the event. But it is not in the cards even if it is across the state from me. Would love to get the event cookie cutter ornament for my sister.

(PS, MoDot is on schedule to take down one of the bridges over the Missouri River on interstate 70 west bound. I can post more details for those of you driving through St. Louis to the event. Two other bridges are now looking like they could have repairs about the same time, the Boone and Popular bridges. And part Chain of Rocks Canal bridge will be open by then and they start the other half. What a mess. *** The Eads Bridge is now starting some repairs too. Is will last 3 years!!! *** WHAT A MESS!)

#231507 - 09/28/12 04:47 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Mary F.]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
 Originally Posted By: Mary F.
The grab bag has to be one of the least thing I like at the Events. I never got what I liked in any grab bag (Hallmark or elsewhere). The only reason I have purchased grab bags is because most of them are for charity. With this in mind, I will purchase a grab bag in 2013 still hoping to get something good, like the repainted Seasons Treatings.

I remember reading on kocevents.com last year how big the grab bags were, and they had a comment to the effect of "and wait until you see what we put in them!" I was lucky enough to get one with the Snowball and Tuxedo colorways in it. I know that those who got the fully-signed Dream Book weren't as thrilled with it, but there were a lot of bags that didn't have either in them.

I think a lot of people donated what they didn't want from their bags at the 2011 event to the Joy for Joplin effort. I'm sure that contributed a lot to what they collected during the event.

#231510 - 09/28/12 05:27 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
KATIE ANN Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ST. ALBANS, WV, US
I love the Beauty of the Birds. Cannot attend will have to find a way to buy or trade.

#231519 - 09/28/12 07:03 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

We didn't get ANY of the "special" things in our bags last year, that were supposed to make them worth so much more. The orns we received we didn't want, so we donated them to Joplin as well.

I'm going back and forth about whether or not I want to buy them at the event next year, but I'll probably try it, just in case I do get something I'd like.

#231522 - 09/28/12 07:23 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Karen W2]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
 Originally Posted By: Karen W2
I'm going back and forth about whether or not I want to buy them at the event next year, but I'll probably try it, just in case I do get something I'd like.

After one of my friends got one of the colorways, she told another friend that if she'd buy a grab bag and didn't get the colorway she'd buy the bag from her. It worked out that the other friend did get the colorway and some ornaments she was interested in. They noticed that if one bag in a tray of bags had a colorway in it they all did, and they suspected that if one bag had a fully-signed Dream Book they probably all did.

#231523 - 09/28/12 07:29 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
StaceyN Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: California

There were a lot of people trading grab bag ornaments so I joined in and traded some of mine with others.

I thought it was a fun addition to the event.

#231561 - 09/29/12 12:26 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: StaceyN]
phoenix Offline

Loc: IL
I had three of the grab bags and got absolutely nothing good for ornaments and none of the special items.

#231563 - 09/29/12 12:44 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: phoenix]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greer, S.C.
I bought 2 bags and got nothing special. But, you never know when you are going to get a big one.
Mary

#231564 - 09/29/12 01:31 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: marywarning]
grahamcracker72 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Michigan
We also bought around 6 grab bags and received nothing special.

#231573 - 09/29/12 04:56 PM Re: 2013 Event Exclusive Products [Re: grahamcracker72]
foodlady Offline

Loc: Savannah, TN
I was lucky in both 2009 and 2011 with the grab bags. In 2009, in addition to three ornaments my bag contained a voucher for the opportunity to have my picture made with all the artists. They did this just prior to the auction and then sent me the 5x7 pic. In 2011, I bought two bags and received a repaint of Snowball and Tuxedo in both.
I don't collect that series, but was able to trade one for the Frosty Fun Decade repaint and still have one left to trade.
In 2009, I was also fortunate to sit by a lady in one of the games who gave me a voucher for an extra artist's signing that she received in her grab bag.
So far I have had pretty good luck with my bag purchases. Most of the other ornaments inside I end up donating or using for a Dirty Santa game we play at our August local club meetings.

Cheryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator 

YuleLog Software is proud to be an affiliate of the following companies!
Help support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards by clicking on the the following logos!

American Collectors Insurance

Apple iTunes
LinkShare  Referral  Prg

Wal-Mart