YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (AshleyC), 31 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
1533 Members
15 Forums
26240 Topics
324382 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#226738 - 07/19/12 04:45 PM Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012
Sean Ray Offline

Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Oxford, MS
This update is a very important update for YuleLog Software. If you want to continue to be able to update your software without starting your collection from scratch, it is imperative that you buy this year's update.

This year we will be supporting a conversion process from the old version of YuleLog Software (developed under FileMaker Pro 6 many, many years ago) to the new version of YuleLog Software (developed under Filemaker Pro 12, released this year). We will not be supporting this conversion process next year, so you MUST convert this year if you want to preserve your current collection information.

Photo Conversion

When receive your copy of YuleLog 2012 in August and convert your collection files to the new version of YuleLog, you will notice that your personal picture files (if you pasted any into the program) will not appear to convert. You will instead see our default price guide photos if you do not send me your backup files to convert.Unfortunately, previous versions of YuleLog were developed under an older version of FileMaker Pro and the new version does not convert images.

If you want your personal photos restored that you have pasted into the program, you must choose one of two options for getting the files to me to convert:

Option #1: Upload your backup files to my Google Drive so I can download them, convert them, reupload the converted files, and then have you download them. This option is obviously dependent on your Internet connection. It may be time consuming but is more convenient (in my opinion)

Here is a video on how to upload your backup files to Google Drive. You can start uploading now and I will ensure your files are ready for download when YuleLog 2012 is released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxMe4e82Ib4&feature=youtu.be

Option #2: Send me your backup files (backup1.fp3, backup2.fp3, backup3.fp3) via USB flash drive to:

Sean Ray
1321 Upland Drive PMB #3556
Houston, TX 77043

so I can convert them with my developer software and send you a converted copy of the files. If I receive your files before your copy of YuleLog is shipped, I will convert them and include them with your DVD shipment.

Due to the high volume of requests and the amount of time it takes to convert these files, I will be charging a $5 fee for this service. Please note this procedure is not mandatory for you to use YuleLog. The meat of your collection (price information, location information, collection/collector information, etc.) will convert without my assistance. However, you will simply see default photos instead of your personal photos.

I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. This is a major drawback of developing YuleLog 2012 with newer version of FileMaker Pro. However, I believe the benefits (new user interface, more powerful tools, compatibility with Lion OSX and Mountain Lion) outweigh the drawbacks. It should be noted that this is a one-time procedure. Once you have your old photos converted, you will be set for updates in the future. Your backup files will convert normally.

Re-Inventory Option

Another option that is worth mentioning is simply doing a complete inventory of your collections. Perhaps this year would be a good time to do that. Many users have emailed me and said that they plan to start their collections over from scratch with the new version.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Comfort and Joy!
Sean Ray
YuleLog Software

P.S.

I would like someone who has a large collection AND has pasted their own photos in for many of their ornaments to post and tell us how large your backup files are. This is to ensure that email will be an option for those with large backup files.

Edited by Sean Ray (07/23/12 03:27 PM)

#226846 - 07/20/12 01:41 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Sean Ray]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
I have a couple of questions I'd like you to confirm the answers to on this.

1) If I only use the photos included in the Yulelog program I don't need to have you do anything with my files since the pictures will convert correctly, right?
2) If I have added other things to my database and have included my own photos (for example, B Line ornaments), I need to have you convert my files so I can continue to see my pictures, right?
3) If I don't buy this year's update, next year I would have to do a complete re-inventory since the files won't convert over, right?
4) Will I be able to add things, like the B Line ornaments, and pictures in the new version?
5) Can you tell me why people have added their own photos when you have photos available? Is it because their photo is better than yours or some other reason? I'm just curious, thinking that maybe they would be willing to share a better photo with you so that others can also have a better photo than the one you offer.

Thanks!

#226853 - 07/20/12 02:13 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
[quote=Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS
5) Can you tell me why people have added their own photos when you have photos available? Is it because their photo is better than yours or some other reason? I'm just curious, thinking that maybe they would be willing to share a better photo with you so that others can also have a better photo than the one you offer.

Thanks! [/quote]

I can give you one answer to this one, Nancy. The picture that I added was of a custom re-painted ornament. No one else should need it in their database since I have the only ornament like it.

I've thought about taking pictures of some things that I've got in my database that aren't Hallmark ornaments. But, I've never gotten around to it, so the picture spot is just blank.

Linda

#226857 - 07/20/12 02:51 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: lindafay]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
What was the final method for multiple collections and multiple collectors for 2012? I just read the beta board and saw where this might be an issue and it might change next year.

I'm going to do a total re-do of my entire inventory and the kids too so should I wait til 2013?

#226869 - 07/20/12 05:01 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
Sean Ray Offline

Originally Posted By: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS

1) If I only use the photos included in the Yulelog program I don't need to have you do anything with my files since the pictures will convert correctly, right?

Correct.

Quote:

2) If I have added other things to my database and have included my own photos (for example, B Line ornaments), I need to have you convert my files so I can continue to see my pictures, right?

Yes, because FileMaker Pro does not convert container fields (fields that hold images).

Quote:

3) If I don't buy this year's update, next year I would have to do a complete re-inventory since the files won't convert over, right?

Right, we will not be supporting a conversion process next year (tech support, software to convert your software, etc.)
 Quote:

4) Will I be able to add things, like the B Line ornaments, and pictures in the new version?

Yes, you can add new records and really catalog whatever you want to. The price guide, however, only includes Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments. Your text for whatever non-Hallmark ornaments you have will transfer over, but images will not unless I convert your backup files
 Quote:

Some people simply like their photos better. It gives a more personalized experience and that's why we added it as an option way back when. And it is definitely true that some of our price guide photos are seriously outdated and just bad quality. Most of the ornaments added in the last 5 years have great quality. Older photos, however, are not so great of quality. In the 2013 update we plan to really get down to business and work with Hooked on Ornaments and YuleLoggers like yourself to replace the bad photos in the price guide.

#226908 - 07/21/12 10:41 AM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Sean Ray]
eeeelaine Offline
Elf

Loc: SC
Hi,
I am trying to understand better the update. I have a Mac computer with OS Snow Leopard and have not updated my system simply because it was not compatible with the past versions of Yulelog. Couldn't do without Yulelog for keeping track of my ornaments. Are you saying now that this update will be compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion? I want to make sure before I upgrade my system. It isn't worth it to me to loose Yulelog for a few changes on my computer that I probably won't use as often as your program. Thanks in advance for your response.

Edited by eeeelaine (07/21/12 10:42 AM)

#226923 - 07/21/12 02:15 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: eeeelaine]
Sean Ray Offline

Originally Posted By: eeeelaine
Hi,
I am trying to understand better the update. I have a Mac computer with OS Snow Leopard and have not updated my system simply because it was not compatible with the past versions of Yulelog. Couldn't do without Yulelog for keeping track of my ornaments. Are you saying now that this update will be compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion? I want to make sure before I upgrade my system. It isn't worth it to me to loose Yulelog for a few changes on my computer that I probably won't use as often as your program. Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes, YuleLog 2012 is compatible with Lion and the results of an application tester have indicated that it will be compatible with Mountain Lion.

YuleLog 2012 is also compatible with Snow Leopard, so really you shouldn't have to update (although I would recommend it simply as a Mac user myself).

#226924 - 07/21/12 02:17 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Qwackertoo]
Sean Ray Offline

Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo
What was the final method for multiple collections and multiple collectors for 2012? I just read the beta board and saw where this might be an issue and it might change next year.

I'm going to do a total re-do of my entire inventory and the kids too so should I wait til 2013?

You should be fine re-inventorying your system this year. We may make some tweaks this new system, but we plan to keep it's general structure. We think it adds more flexibility than the current collector/collection system.

#227042 - 07/23/12 11:49 AM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Sean Ray]
Sean Ray Offline

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY FOR USERS WHO WANT TO CONVERT THEIR PERSONAL PHOTOS THAT THEY HAVE PASTED INTO YULELOG. IF YOU USE THE DEFAULT PRICE GUIDE PHOTOS, DISREGARD THIS POST.

Options for photo conversion:

#1: I am currently making a video for users to find out how to upload their backup files to Google Drive and share them with me (YuleLogSean@gmail.com). This will obviously require a decent Internet connection if your backup files are huge.

Here is a video on how to upload your backup files to Google Drive. You can start uploading now and I will ensure your files are ready for download when YuleLog 2012 is released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxMe4e82Ib4&feature=youtu.be

Due to the file size of many users' backup files, it has become apparent that I will not be able to perform photo conversion digitally.

Option #2: Send me your backup files (backup1.fp3, backup2.fp3, backup3.fp3) via USB flash drive to:

Sean Ray
1321 Upland Drive PMB #3556
Houston, TX 77043

so I can convert them with my developer software and send you a converted copy of the files. If I receive your files before your copy of YuleLog is shipped, I will convert them and include them with your DVD shipment.

I have edited the original post to reflect these changes.

Edited by Sean Ray (07/23/12 03:27 PM)

#228287 - 08/16/12 12:30 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Sean Ray]
Collector Joy Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
Sean, just wondering if you'll offer Yuleloggers Club MEMBERS a discount for the Data Bases as Todd has in previous years?

Joyce

#237237 - 12/10/12 07:57 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Sean Ray]
Dee T Offline
Elf in Training

I purchased the yule log 2012 and I am now trying to load it onto my Mac but I cannot figure this out - I insert the disk and nothing happens - can anyone please help me. Thank you!

#237249 - 12/10/12 08:39 PM Re: Important Information Regarding Updates to YuleLog 2012 [Re: Dee T]
Dee T Offline
Elf in Training

I purchased the yule log 2012 and I am now trying to load it onto my Mac but I cannot figure this out - I insert the disk and nothing happens - can anyone please help me. Thank you!

Moderator:  Moderator