YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1533 Members
15 Forums
26205 Topics
323961 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#112658 - 01/22/08 11:19 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
Ginny Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Todd Ray
Another cool thing about this, is that it keeps the information on what you have seen on the server instead of in a cookie on your computer. That means if you read YuleLog on another computer, once you log in, it remembers what you have seen already on that computer too! Great for those people who read at home and at work, or on multiple computers at home.

Even though it's rare that I log on from a different computer, that is COOL; I didn't realize that. Also nice to know that if I happen to delete my cookies, I won't lose my place here. I never log off; so maybe I'd have to re-log in after a cookie delete?

All: remember to be LOGGED IN when you read the board. I have a feeling many of the problems or questions people have been having can be attributed to not being logged in. It is so nice to be taken straight to the next post after the one you read last time you were here instead of having to scroll around!!!!!

#112692 - 01/23/08 12:41 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Ginny]
SharonLL Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Miami, FL
How do we see the Members Only section of the Board; i.e. "Meeting Room" etc. I paid my dues by PayPal on 1/14. Thanks Sharon

#112695 - 01/23/08 01:31 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: SharonLL]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Loc: Southaven, MS
 Originally Posted By: SharonLL
How do we see the Members Only section of the Board; i.e. "Meeting Room" etc. I paid my dues by PayPal on 1/14. Thanks Sharon

Sharon,

You have been added to the Collector's Club group and if you go back to the main forum index you should be able to see and access the Meeting Room and Collectors Club Forums.

Todd

#112724 - 01/23/08 07:29 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
Ginny Offline
Santa's Helper

Tuned on the Poll feature for the Discussions forum. Doesn't work with Quick Reply, but when you select Reply or add new topic, you should see it.

I think the Poll feature is a cute feature and fun for little surveys like the ones used so far where it's a fun thing and not something crucial or highly significant in nature. But I'd hate to see it replace the Yahoo polling feature used with the club unless some further options to it were explored.

I think that one can turn off the "show results while polling is taking place" facet which I think is vital on important issues, but I didn't see any way that I as a voter could change my mind about how I voted during the course of the poll. Sometimes we misunderstand the issue of a poll, or more facts making the issue come out .... or sometimes the fingers just get sticky and you click on something you didn't mean to..... and that's when changing your vote is helpful and gives a more accurate reflection of those being polled.

But like I said, it's a fun feature for matters of non-earthshaking importance. ;\)

#112729 - 01/23/08 10:12 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: SharonLL]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
I think Todd has everyone entered now. So, if you've paid your 2008 dues, you should now be able to see the members' forums. If not, please let us know.

Linda

#112744 - 01/24/08 08:20 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Ginny]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Originally Posted By: Ginny

I think the Poll feature is a cute feature and fun for little surveys like the ones used so far where it's a fun thing and not something crucial or highly significant in nature. But I'd hate to see it replace the Yahoo polling feature used with the club unless some further options to it were explored.

I think that one can turn off the "show results while polling is taking place" facet which I think is vital on important issues, but I didn't see any way that I as a voter could change my mind about how I voted during the course of the poll. Sometimes we misunderstand the issue of a poll, or more facts making the issue come out .... or sometimes the fingers just get sticky and you click on something you didn't mean to..... and that's when changing your vote is helpful and gives a more accurate reflection of those being polled.

But like I said, it's a fun feature for matters of non-earthshaking importance. ;\)

You are correct that you can set it not to show results until the poll is over.

As any of the club officers will tell you, the yahoo groups feature of being a YuleLogger member is a source of much confusion. Anything we can do to reduce or eliminate the need for it would help. While you are correct that you can't change your vote, that's much like real world voting, so perhaps we can deal with that by stressing in the note explaining the poll, that you don't get another chance and to be sure of your vote before entering it.

Todd

#112872 - 01/26/08 07:51 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
Ginny Offline
Santa's Helper

As any of the club officers will tell you, the yahoo groups feature of being a YuleLogger member is a source of much confusion. Anything we can do to reduce or eliminate the need for it would help.

My aim is not to debate which form of voting is better; I just have serious concerns (besides the ones mentioned). Anyway, it would appear to me to be in violation of the YuleLoggers Club's bylaws to make a change such as that until they are changed (they say "egroups" which became Yahoo groups); so I will reserve expressing my concerns in the club board when that comes up. (They probably seriously need some revising anyway. ;))

As a longtime moderator of 4 Yahoo Groups - including the YuleLoggers club and COOL - I have found that the majority of problems people have there is that they forget or mistype their login ID and password information. I just think that it's hard to beat a "3rd party" outside system like that for accuracy, impartiality, complete open-ness of membership lists and yet 100% privacy of vote, and yes, ease of use IMO.

Btw, I have had little to no requests for help from confused members, but am always available to help. \:\)

#112966 - 01/27/08 06:42 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Ginny]
Ginny Offline
Santa's Helper

oops... posted by mistake

Edited by Ginny (01/27/08 06:43 PM)

#112974 - 01/27/08 09:08 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Ginny]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
What's the definition of a "hot" topic these days? I saw a post with only two replies and the little fire was burning by it.

Linda

#112979 - 01/27/08 10:28 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: lindafay]
Paintbeanie Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: IL, USA
Hi, I'm new to posting, I usually read the boards but have signed up to use some of the features.
The hot topic means it has a certain number of replies or over 150 views, so while a topic could have only 2 replies, if it's been viewed over 150 times then it could still be a hot topic. I hope this helps.
Peter

#112984 - 01/28/08 08:27 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Paintbeanie]
Claudia Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southlake,Texas USA
 Originally Posted By: Paintbeanie
Hi, I'm new to posting, I usually read the boards but have signed up to use some of the features.
The hot topic means it has a certain number of replies or over 150 views, so while a topic could have only 2 replies, if it's been viewed over 150 times then it could still be a hot topic. I hope this helps.
Peter

Peter, thanks for the information and WELCOME to the Yulelog board. \:\)

#113019 - 01/28/08 02:32 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Qwackertoo]
meam2you Offline

Loc: North Canton, OH
I have a question about the Yuleloggers Collectors Club forum. I just paid my dues last night via Paypal, so I'm just wondering that when whoever it is does the inputting of my information - is it going to be pretty much like it was on the old board - I have to sign in with my ID, password, and Yuleloggers password?

#113020 - 01/28/08 02:40 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: meam2you]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
It will just pop up on the list of the various boards once you are given access and no typing in of the password necessary on the new board.

#113021 - 01/28/08 02:42 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: meam2you]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Originally Posted By: meam2you
I have a question about the Yuleloggers Collectors Club forum. I just paid my dues last night via Paypal, so I'm just wondering that when whoever it is does the inputting of my information - is it going to be pretty much like it was on the old board - I have to sign in with my ID, password, and Yuleloggers password?

The Club board is sending me lists of members as they pay thier dues and I add them to a special "group" on the board. When you are added to this group, you will be able to see and access the club forums without an extra password. People not in this group will not be able to access them. In the case of the main YuleLoggers forum, it has been set up where non club members can see the name and description of the forum, but not access it. This is because the board description includes an invitation to join and an address of the YuleLoggers club web page with a membership application.

Todd

#113039 - 01/28/08 07:53 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
meam2you Offline

Thanks, Deana & Todd!

#115301 - 03/07/08 03:23 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Barbara Harris]
meam2you Offline

I'm having a slight problem. Whenever I click on a thread or post, it takes forever for it to come up. I've noticed that after the "shout box" fills, then I go to whatever it is I've clicked on. I've logged into the board from another computer here, and there's no waiting. Is there something I need to do to my computer? Or is it just because that other computer I was using is brand-new and not all loaded with stuff like mine is?

I just noticed this only happens when I'm trying to look at a thread that has new posts in it. If there's no new posts, it opens the thread right away.

#115350 - 03/08/08 09:12 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: meam2you]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

I'm sure the older computer has something to do with it, but it sounds as if it is having trouble loading one of the many sections that make up the board. Could be something in your virus checking software that is taking a long time to decide that one section is OK.

What happens if you click the Refresh/Stop button?

Also, try going to the My Stuff, and My Preferences and turning off the left column. That way we will know if it is something in that column causing problems.

Todd

#115384 - 03/08/08 01:11 PM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
meam2you Offline

Thanks, Todd!

The Refresh/Stop button gave me the same response....slow!

However, I tried turning off the left column and that did the trick!

Thanks again!!

#115535 - 03/09/08 11:00 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: meam2you]
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Interesting. I wonder which element causes the problem?

#115609 - 03/10/08 08:59 AM Re: Let's post questions/tips on this thread [Re: Todd Ray]
meam2you Offline

I'm not sure, Todd - but I can tell you this....you're asking the wrong person. I leave all that stuff up to you computer-savvy people! I bow down to you! I'm just going to chalk it up to my POS computer being slow.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Moderator