YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 72 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26155 Topics
323401 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#24362 - 12/29/07 04:09 PM Ebay Shipping
suzy167 Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Southlake, Texas
I just had the MOST unsatisfying communications with an EBAY seller...just wondering if this has happened to any of you.
I bid on and won 3 small Hallmark ornaments (no boxes). The stated shipping for each individual auction was $4.85. So, when the auctions closed, I emailed the seller, and asked him to combine the items, and give a combined total. Very normal, I thought. He wrote back that not only would he not combine the shipping, he was now charging MORE than the stated amount for 2 of the ornaments!!! So, when I clicked on PayPal, the shipping for 3 ornaments without boxes was over $21!!! The stated shipping would have been absurd, too, as it was $14.55. So, HE is cancelling the sale, because I am being unreasonable. I have to say that in over 700 transactions, I have never found a seller like this. I have left negative feedback, so that others will beware. I am sure that some of this has to with the fact he did not get what he wanted for the ornaments, but it seems to me that that is chance you have to take when you sell. He is selling MANY ornaments, so beware if you are buying.

#24363 - 12/29/07 07:41 PM Re: Ebay Shipping
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Sorry to hear you had such an awful transaction. I had one like that waaaaaaaay back in the beginning of ebay and learned to always write ahead of the auction to get an actual shipping quote (it's not good enough to read "combined shipping" as they can still ding you quite good and hard that way by tacking on a $2 or $3 "handling charge" for each auction win.)
Hopefully you'll find the ornaments you want again at a good price and fair shipping.

#24364 - 12/30/07 02:31 PM Re: Ebay Shipping
suzy167 Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Southlake, Texas
Diana,

I have over 800 EBAY transactions, and he the ONLY negative I have ever left for a seller.
He not only would not combine, he RAISED the amount of the shipping on 2 of the 3 "no box" ornaments that I had bought. He clearly listed the amount on all 3 as $4.85, but on one he wanted to charge $4.85, on the second one, he wanted $6.70, and the third one, OVER $9!!!! So UP $7 in addition to the $14.55 he was already asking. I saved all the listings as well as all the emails.

#24365 - 12/30/07 02:47 PM Re: Ebay Shipping
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
I'd report him to ebay for charging more than the stated shipping fees. That's extortion.

#24366 - 12/30/07 03:47 PM Re: Ebay Shipping
peachy Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Griffin, Ga
I am sorry that happened to you Suzy.
That happened to me recently. I was able to subtract the increase in his shipping on the Paypal checkout page where it permits for seller discounts/charges. I felt intitled to do this since the combined shipping was more than the listings stated. The seller never complained about my doing this and I received the items.
Of course, I did not receive a combined discount either, but I got each of the items for like $1 each and was satisfied.

#24367 - 12/30/07 03:51 PM Re: Ebay Shipping
hallmark*kid Offline
Elf VP

Loc: TX
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. With the post offices raising prices continuously it is getting harder and harder to find reasonable shipping on ebay.

I have only had problems with shipping one time and it was quite a few years back. I won 4 seperate auctions from a seller and their idea of combined shipping was taking $0.25 off of each $7.95 fee! So I would have saved only $1 and paid $30.80 to have 4 ornaments shipped to me, ha! I ended up paying for each auction seperately and insisting that the seller wrap, package and ship each ornament to me in its own box as that is what I paid for. Since the seller didn't want to get hit with 4 paypal fees, nor did they want to package them seperately they finally relented into cutting shipping by half. I learnt a big lesson to ask a seller first what exactly they mean by "combined shipping".

In any case, a seller should not mark shipping up after the auction is won and I think you should probably send and email to ebay advising of the situation.

Moderator:  Moderator