YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325460 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24785 - 05/14/02 09:36 AM OT - Photo Albums
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Loc: Southaven, MS
On Mother's day, I carried my laptop computer and scanner over to my Mom's and I started scanning some of our old family photos. I hope to someday scan them all (a huge task!), but as I do them, I want to transfer the originals to better quality photo albums. She is using 40 year old baby books and 25 year old "magnetic" photo albums. They have started falling apart.

Does anyone know a good source for the plastic sleeve type photo album pages that can be purchased with different pocket sizes. I want something that is safe for the photos, and has a place to add notes about the photos. Actually, any tips you may have about undertaking a project like this would be helpful! I need to know how to remove old glue and tape, if there is a way. Thanks in advance!

Oh, by the way, I uploaded some of the scanned photos if you want to take a look!

http://homepage.mac.com/toddray/PhotoAlbum3.html

#24786 - 05/14/02 09:44 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
CorvetteElaine Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Ohio
Can't help with info, but just had to say how adorable your pictures are!! How nice to have those, especially like you and Santa! What special treasures to have.
Elaine

------------------

#24787 - 05/14/02 10:21 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Raytown, MO USA
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

You are a brave man!!! Love the hats....was that a palm tree on one of those shirts?? Already lookin' for Margaritaville?? Was the Gremlin your car?

Practicin' pinchin' girls on your sister, huh?? Almost got that suit in that cake.

Isn't it fun to look at old picture of your parents?

Okay, now what was the question??

Nowadays so many places are going to the acid free stuff. You might check Hobby Lobby and even HMK. Now they say since there are so many albums available out there the worse enemy of ruining pages and photos is the oil in our hands.

Thanks for the laugh, Todd. Can't get over those hats. Did Trey get your hand me downs?

#24788 - 05/14/02 11:52 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
sueinBC Offline
Elf VP

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Wow, you were a well-travelled baby, Todd! Great photos!! It was brave of you to share.

Sorry, I can't offer any suggstions about how to refurbish the albums. I have a huge box of photos that have never made it into any albums - sigh!!
------------------
Sue, Surrey,B.C.

"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

[This message has been edited by sueinBC (edited 05-14-2002).]

-G.K. Chesterton

#24789 - 05/14/02 12:12 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Barbara Harris Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Miami County, Kansas, USA
Okay, Todd, I will try to be helpful and give you some direction before I go to your album and get the laughs that seem to be available there!

There is a company called Metal Edge, Inc. and they have a super catalog. Toll free 1-800-862-2228, or their website: metaledgeinc.com. Actually almost too much to choose from (including the white cotton gloves!), and it is pricey, BUT archivally correct and probably worth it.

Will be watching this thread for suggestions from anyone else, especially about removing old glue and tape -- a daunting task!

#24790 - 05/14/02 03:27 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

the only other hobby near & dear to my heart besides HM is scrapbooking...
you probably need the product called Un du..
albums can be purchased from Creative Memories consultant, Michael's Hobby stores, even Walmart I think...there are alot of websites for scrapbooking & magazines..Ivy Cottage, Memory Makers,etc.

#24791 - 05/14/02 05:13 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

>was that a palm tree on one of those shirts?? Already lookin' for Margaritaville??

Hmm... which one, I didn't see a palm tree?

> Was the Gremlin your car?
Yup! Sad to say, but that got me though college! When I traded it in, it had a crushed rear quarter panel, the passenger door wouldn't open, the wipers would go down, only if you pulled them up first with a rope (which I did!), and it wouldn't go backwards! Oh! and it had no air conditioner! I traded it in on a new Toyota when I graduated, and they were running a promotion where you got on a scale and they gave you a dollar per pound rebate. I got more that way then I did for the Gremlin, and I was nowhere as heavy then as I am now!

>Practicin' pinchin' girls on your sister, huh?? Almost got that suit in that cake.

Yep, that's one of my Mom's favorite pictures!

I
>Thanks for the laugh, Todd. Can't get over those hats. Did Trey get your hand me downs?

I still love hats! Trey was 10 years younger than me, and a tad unexpected, so no hand me downs!

What! No comments about my high school pictures! I was the image of 1977 in that prom photo!

#24792 - 05/14/02 06:24 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Quote:
Originally posted by chickaroonie:

albums can be purchased from Creative Memories consultant,

This is interesting. I just ordered a book from Amazon.com that is put out by Creative Memories...

What can you tell me about this company? I went to their website and it appears that they only sell by direct marketing. I checked for a consultant and it would appear that I have one within a couple of houses of me! What are their prices like? Sometimes I like direct markeing, sometimes I don't...

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 05-14-2002).]

#24793 - 05/14/02 06:35 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think alot of the consultants do it to just get their own supplies at discount as they are pricey. They have parties similar to Tupperware...or sometimes at a library..or set up a table at a flea market...I believe May has a national scrapbooking date...There are actually scrapbooking stores...not many here in NJ...but 2 wonderful ones where I spend alot of time in FL.They have all night scrap parties.

#24794 - 05/14/02 07:30 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Raytown, MO USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Ray:
>was that a palm tree on one of those shirts?? Already lookin' for Margaritaville??

What! No comments about my high school pictures! I was the image of 1977 in that prom photo!

No, Todd I won't make any comments about that, I too graduated that year!

The palm tree is in the passport photo.

I use Creative Memories too. A friend of mine was a consultant. Some say they are too expensive so they go to Hobby Lobby type albums. I know some stamping stores also sell Creative Memories look alikes. I feel safe with Creative Memories, they've been around for awhile.

#24795 - 05/14/02 11:54 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
sueinBC Offline
Elf VP

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Ray:

Todd, you certainly were!! The image of '77 at your prom, that is! My younger brother was married in '78 and he wore an identical baby blue tux.

------------------
Sue, Surrey,B.C.

-G.K. Chesterton

-G.K. Chesterton

#24796 - 05/15/02 05:23 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

When my mother undertook the huge project of putting all the old family photos into albums (and I mean OLD, like from the turn of the LAST century!), she used photo sleeves and albums from a company called Light Impressions. They carry very high quality products. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

Hope this helps!

#24797 - 05/15/02 09:06 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Todd,

My mother-in-law is a Creative Memories consultant in Natchez, MS. She would be happy to answer any questions you have. Her email address is bryndamarie@hotmail.com

The albums they use are strap hinge albums and the photos would have to be adhered to the pages with a photo safe tape or photo mounting corners. They have page protectors to cover the pages once you are done with it.

As for the slip in sleeves you asked about, I know I have seen these recently at my local scrapbook store. I can't remember the brand though. I am going there today, so I will post later about who makes them. They would go into a 3 ring binder.

A good hint for removing stuck photos from albums is to run a length of dental floss behind it and pull back and forth with a sawing motion as you move down the photo. If there is any residue from the adhesive on the back of the photo, an art gum eraser is pretty good at getting it off. I have heard that the Undo product works well too, but I'd try the dry method first.

I'm about to run out the door, so I'll look at your photos later. From reading the remarks, I can't wait to see them!!

#24798 - 05/15/02 10:31 AM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Todd,
I have used acid-free scrapbooks that I purchased at Hallmark and at Michael's craft store. I have also used products from Exposures, which is a catalog/on-line company. The website is www.exposuresonline.com. They are more expensive, but they are very concerned with protecting memories.

In a recent edition of the magazine Memory Makers, there is an ad for un-du adhesive remover. It is supposed to work on stickers, tape, photo squares, and removing pictures from magnetic albums. The website is www.un-du.com so you can check it out. I have never actually used it, so I can't recommend it. I haven't seen any other products like this on the market.

Hope this helps.
-Inga

#24799 - 05/15/02 12:14 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Shandoo Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by JacobsMom:

The albums they use are strap hinge albums and the photos would have to be adhered to the pages with a photo safe tape or photo mounting corners. They have page protectors to cover the pages once you are done with it.

Todd,

My best girlfriend is also a Creative Memories (CM) Consultant and I am an avid scrapbooker (5 years or so). The CM products are all of superior quality and are not only acid free, but lignen free, buffered and photosafe. These are all important for assuring archival safety and longevity of your albums/memories.

The CM straphinge albums have been around since 1938 and are terrific because no matter what page you are looking at the album lies flat. CM albums have a lifetime gaurantee and come in an excellent selection of colors.

I've asked my friend to come on the board and share her thoughts.

------------------
Shanda

#24800 - 05/15/02 12:28 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Shandoo Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Hey Todd--I would highly recommend using the Creative Memories albums for a number of reasons--first, they are tested and researched to be acid free, lignin free, buffered and photo-safe. (You may find the explanation of these in the CM book you bought) Also, the albums have a life-time guarantee, and you have the help of a CM consultant to answer any questions and to guide and motivate you to finish your project. CM albums have been around since the 1930's so they have withstood the test of time and trends. My pictures and memories are very precious to me, and I trust CM with my photos because of their research and reputation for quality. Will you pay more? Well, compared to a magnetic album and other albums out there, you may, but my pictures and memories are worth it, and I want to know they're safe. I don't worry with CM albums and products. I hope this helps, and I would love to hear what you do. Sincerely, Kristin Goodman, CM Consultant

#24801 - 05/15/02 02:07 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great pictures, Todd!

I can't help with the photo albums, I am looking for better ideas, myself. I have not touched my photos since the birth of my third child in 1989. Yikes, I need to attack this project, someday!

#24802 - 05/16/02 05:02 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Todd Ray Offline

Administrator
Elf VP

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm going to wait for my book on CM from Amazon.com, and after I get a chance to look at it, I'm going to get in touch with my neighbor who is a CM consultant.

I looked at all of the web sites, and ordered a couple of albums to see how I like them. Also planning a trip to Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

This will be a long drawn out project, and I'm hoping I can get some other family members interested. Thanks for all your help, and I'll post more about it as it progresses.

#24803 - 06/10/02 04:28 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a couple of Creating Keepsakes magazines, and they advertised a product line designed to neutralize the acid on your hands (so you can touch pictures, etc. without damaging them and without gloves). The products are advertised as working for about 2 hours but I haven't researched them or used them myself. There's lotion and soap, and the line is "Hands Off" - they have a website at www.handsofflotion.com (lotion and soap are $9.95 each). I think I'll pick some up before tackling my parents' old photo albums (which are those horrid magnetic types, ugh).

#24804 - 06/11/02 11:44 PM Re: OT - Photo Albums
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congratulations and good wishes on your new project! It's a lot of work but so great when you and all the relatives can enjoy the end results.

I had, of course, my own photos and I inherited those from my grandmother and my mother and decided a few years ago to get them in order. There are so many great products available now but when I started I chose simply to mount the photos on 8 1/2" x 11" paper, slipping them into plastic covers and mounting them in large notebook-type albums---everything acid-free, lignin-free, photo-safe, etc. I now have 12 up-to-date albums, including photos which go back to the 1800's.

There have been a lot of tips on what products to use but my advice is more procedure. Since this project will probably take awhile, I'd get names and dates on every photo now while there are still older relatives available to help. (My mother and grandmother were definitely lacking in that department!) This also involves taking The Oath---you must promise to name and date every photo you take for the rest of your life!

Good luck and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator