YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 82 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Forum Stats
1538 Members
15 Forums
26361 Topics
325814 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#251372 - 09/12/13 02:40 PM Thrift store find
susan in florida Online   content
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
I found a 1980 Hallmark porcelain, Shirt tails music box.

It has a raccoon wearing a blue shirt with "Happy Day!" on the front and "Happy Times!" on the back. with a yellow duck at his feet.

Has "Happiness is a rainbow in the heart!" Around the base. The raccoon is holding two small rainbow flags.

The box plays "Playmate"....will you come out and play.

There is one pictured on ebay if you type in: Hallmark music box Happiness is a rainbow in the heart. If you want to see a picture.

I played $2.00 for it with no box. It's super cute. I have one other older music box. I need one more to be a collector!! HA HA

#251378 - 09/12/13 05:28 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I remember Shirt Tales! Nice find!

Today, I found a bag of ornaments at Goodwill for 99 cents.

Inside was:
1993 Eeyore
1994 All Pumped Up
1995 Perfect Balance
1996 Fantastic Season
1996 Grandson
1997 Sky's the Limit #1 Kitty Hawk

All were no box ornaments. Eeyore's one of my favorites, so that was nice. And, being from NC, Kitty Hawk is a big deal here, so that's a good one. The sports ones are okay.

#251424 - 09/13/13 10:49 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
Paintbeanie Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: IL, USA
Today I found the first two x-mas window ornaments for $10 each, so I was a happy camper. I do have a question though. For the second x-mas window ornament, I had the memory card and an additional piece of paper inside. It is a smaller rectangular paper with the hallmark logo on one end of the printed side in black and white. On the other end of the printed side is the ornament model #, the ornament name, as well as a stamped number and a vendor id #. I've never seen this before, is it for store display models? I have gotten several display models in the past and never saw this, so I wanted to ask about this.

#251441 - 09/14/13 07:21 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
SunnySue Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Idaho
I found a 1984 Baby`s First Christmas for .50 in box.Its a teddy bear on a sled with gifts. Really cute.

#251442 - 09/14/13 07:31 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: Paintbeanie]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Paintbeanie
Today I found the first two x-mas window ornaments for $10 each, so I was a happy camper.

Nice finds! I'm missing those as well as #3, so I'd love to find them in a thrift store. I bought #4 on ebay a few days ago ($15 with free shipping), so it's on its way! Yay!

No idea about your question. One store I go to puts a colored dot sticker on boxes that are their displays. And I've had the hangers left on display ornaments before. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything different about them. And some that I bought were club ornaments (windows #5 being one of them).

#251446 - 09/14/13 09:35 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
deckthehalls Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: New Egypt NJ USA
In corporate stores the key to an empty display box on the floor is a white dot sticker. Empty boxes in the store room have a rubber band around them

#251459 - 09/15/13 06:12 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
LouisaMay Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Estate sale...they had Blessed Nativity from 1998 minus the shepherds for $24.00 in a manger. Whether or not the manger belongs with them, I have no idea. I had never seen these pieces before, so I bought them, but had to convince the sellers that Joseph, out of the manger and priced separately belonged to the same group. I guess he left Mary to be a single mom for the sale.

They also had Tin Locomotive #4 in a bag with other hallmarks...no boxes...so I got a bag for $8.00 with that and some early Here comes santa, one of them the wheels had been glued and I need to reglue one. Oh well..and

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1985-Tin-Locomotive-4-_p_1114.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1990-Here-Comes-Santa-12--SDB_p_9707.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1986-Here-Comes-Santa-
8--DB_p_8050.html

http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1999-Pony-for-Christmas-2_p_4954.html

#251476 - 09/15/13 11:04 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
peimom Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I went to a garage sale Saturday morning and found the 1973 (glass ball) Manger Scene NB and the 1977 Bell (glass ball) QX1542-N $1.00 each!!!

#252743 - 10/08/13 05:17 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Found 1998 Kringle Bells at Goodwill for 99 cents NRFB. It still had the plastic wrap on the box. That's a bit depressing. That ornament's been in a box for fifteen years.

I rarely find miniature ornaments at thrift stores. Don't really see too many posts about finding them either. I wonder if it's because they're so small that they just get loss in the fray. I'd love to find some more minis at thrift stores.

#252747 - 10/08/13 06:25 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
vais4lovers Offline
Elf

I'd never thought about it that way before. I share your sadness for an ornament being in a box for fifteen years. All the missed opportunities for decorating. Did ornament boxes used to be wrapped in plastic? I have found miniature ornaments in the box at Goodwill. They were $2.50 each.

#253022 - 10/14/13 06:04 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Oh, I forgot my favorite find this season...a white Iris 9 drawer storage tower for $14.99. Love these. They're great for storing small, light weight items.

Years ago, Costco sold them. Still kicking myself for not buying more at the time. The 9 drawer looks similar to this but is taller and features three drawer sizes...

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-733-mc-343-top.aspx

They clean up beautifully with a spray bottle of Windex and paper towels. It takes me about an hour but I've never timed myself. (I don't have anything against dust, so long as it's MY dust). smile

Lisa

#253029 - 10/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
decorlady Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Brevard,NC
Lisa, I am with you. Dust and Dirt are OK as long as it is mine but don't want someone else's. Have to clean everything that comes from the thrift stores as soon as I bring it in my house.

Last week I got a bag of ornaments for $1.00 and in it was a 1976 Twirl About Angel. Love this ornament and all the old ones. I find a few but not many this year.

I'm always looking for vintage/antique Christmas items!

Mary Lou

#253065 - 10/15/13 08:38 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

I'm the same way Mary Lou!

I've found a few Twirl About ornaments in thrift stores over the years. Those are always an exciting find for me. Congrats!

Lisa

#253068 - 10/15/13 10:09 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
Collector Joy Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
Lisa, can I ask you when you start seeing Christmas ornaments at the Thrift stores? I think I might start looking for then this year.

Joyce

#253069 - 10/15/13 10:38 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Joyce, I think it varies from store to store. I drop by every week or so and ask at the two stores I shop. Often they don't know, but with each week, the responses slowly become more specific. If I can, I'll ask more than one employee.

I personally find that Thursdays and Fridays are the best days to see the new items at our Goodwill. I've never quite figured out Value Village, but those are good days there too year round. (They, unlike Goodwill, process everything locally.)

I'm lucky in that one store is a half mile from me, the other two miles. You could also call. Don't be afraid to be that "crazy collector who calls every week" . They have no way of knowing who you are. smile

The other thing I notice is that Goodwill will put out the less desirable items in the beginning. I go through it, but rarely find much if anything. Then, all of a sudden, there's lots of Christmas out. From that point forward, I go frequently in the hopes of finding more narrow neck, hand blown glass balls. When I find a box, I'm so happy!

Lisa

#253071 - 10/15/13 10:44 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I can't speak for Lisa, but I do go thrift store shopping every week since I live within 5-10 minutes of 3 thrift stores. While I go every week, November and December are by far the easiest months to find Christmas stuff. That's for two reasons: 1-some thrift stores hold Christmas decorations until Nov-Dec because they sell better then. 2-People decorate in November and December, so they donate their Christmas stuff they don't want in November and December as well as in January when they are packing everything away.

I've never found a twirl-around though. Found yarn ones from the 70s before in thrift stores.

My Goodwill keeps Christmas stuff year round. So does Habitat for Humanity (though, they usually only have ornaments out in November/December). Value Village only has them out in November/December, but I've noticed this year, they've already started putting Christmas on endcaps. Salvation Army only does it in November/December besides an annual Christmas in July thing (this year they did Christmas in August).

Value Village is my favorite to go to because they have all kinds of stuff, and it's huge! The unboxed Hallmarks end up in plastic bags full of ornaments from anywhere between $2-$5, so you just have to hunt through the bags. It's a blast...though they frequently put glass ball ornaments in the bags, so the bags tend to have broken glass. Very dangerous and annoying. You'd think they'd stop that after doing it for several years. Some of the boxed ones get on the shelves, and others get locked up in their locked glass display cases. One of my favorite Christmas finds last year at Value Village was in late December (week of Christmas, but not after Christmas) when they had all Christmas decorations for half off. This one lady kept blocking the Christmas aisle, so I kept having to circle around the store, waiting patiently, waiting for her to get through. Seriously, anyone who got near her, she'd stretch her body as far as she could, blocking all of the shelves within reach. After she finally got done, I went over there, and I uncovered a tabletop Jim Shore Santa called Gather Round. It was marked $2.12, so I got him for $1.06.

#253077 - 10/15/13 11:55 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
decorlady Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Brevard,NC
Our Habitat has Christmas out from July to December. Our Goodwill puts it out whenever they have any. Our Safe store waits until couple months before Christmas.

Of course I look for Christmas All Year!

#253081 - 10/16/13 02:15 AM Re: Thrift store find [Re: luckdragon]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: luckdragon
It's a blast...though they frequently put glass ball ornaments in the bags, so the bags tend to have broken glass. Very dangerous and annoying. You'd think they'd stop that after doing it for several years.

My guess is that they keep putting the glass ball ornaments in the bags with other things so that they can get rid of them. They may have a goal of getting the amount of Christmas merchandise down to the smallest number of storage tubs or boxes since they would have to keep it in the storage area for the rest of the year. I stopped in a thrift store where they had just boxed up the Christmas things; they let me look through the boxes hoping that I would find enough things to reduce the number of boxes they'd have to store so I made sure I packed things up to limit the amount of breakage and still fit in the boxes.

The Goodwill closest to my house has a holiday section where they have Easter mixed in with the Christmas year-round. Closer to those holidays I see Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day. I stopped in yesterday and saw a box with bubble plastic for the 2009 Cool Decade for $1.99. I didn't see the ornament anywhere so I wondered if someone bought it without the box. There was enough packing tape on one end that I was pretty sure they didn't get separated along the way.

#253082 - 10/16/13 02:30 AM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

It's so interesting reading everyone's experiences with their thrift stores in their area. Christmas items for the most part are only available here for a 6 - 8 week period. And I probably only see two dozen Hallmark ornaments at each store during this period.

One year, I hit it big. I found and bought 10 boxes of the Frostlight Faeries flowers for $2.99 each. I was so excited!

Lisa

#253097 - 10/16/13 02:52 PM Re: Thrift store find [Re: susan in florida]
Carolfs Offline
Elf Manager

Not a Hallmark find but I found a vintage Everglean aluminum Christmas tree at a yard sale. The box called it a 6 ft. tree but the owner said it was more like 4 ft. Also got the color wheel. One of the plastic sections of the wheel melted but it works for the most part. I think it just needs a screw to be tightened up. The seller wanted $50 for it but I got it for $30. Not sure exactly what I got since I haven't had a chance to put it together but for $30 I took a chance on it.

Carol

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Moderator