YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
1533 Members
15 Forums
26240 Topics
324382 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260049 - 03/14/14 12:57 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
Seven was how many new series they started last year. I agree it is a lot. But I'm wondering if this is going to be a new pattern.

#260073 - 03/14/14 02:23 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: carstairs38]
Nicki Pierce Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Lenexa, KS
Originally Posted By: carstairs38
Seven was how many new series they started last year. I agree it is a lot. But I'm wondering if this is going to be a new pattern.

Hummmm...7 does seem like a lot. I don't really think of the Peanuts Monthly as a "series" since they are not numbered, however I guess everyone else does, so must be "just me"!

#260082 - 03/14/14 09:20 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
nhardy Offline
Elf VP

I loved the photos on DDB. Bastin's first of a series is very cute. Loved the gingerbread man in 'Tis the Seasoning! What did you think?

Also loved that Hallmark previewed the second in a series for some of the 2014 first in the series. (If thay make sense.)

I guess I'm joining the KOC in 2015 too. Loved the Gingerbread Birdhouse. What did you think about the tree topper. I'm still hoping for a real table top single tier Christmas Pyramid. They could put Frost Friend caroling. I know just a dream....

#260087 - 03/14/14 11:09 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: nhardy]
toppershopper Offline
Elf VP

I like the female hummingbird, but it actually looks more like a MALE broad-billed hummingbird with the orange bill, green body and blue throat. The female is less colorful with no blue throat and grey undersides. broad-billed hummingbird
It is neat the way they solved the problem of the long thin bill of the hummingbird. The flowers look kind of like trumpet vine, but the leaves are different.

I really like the Christmas pyramid ornament.

I also like the tree topper. It has some elements that remind me of some older Mr. Christmas tree toppers.You can see in the following old ebay auctions. circling a star and Santa circling the emphasis on the Mr. Christmas toppers was the outer ring mechanically circling the center, while the Hallmark ornament sounds like it is going to have a neat light show.

I also wanted to add that it says the hot rod car is going to be a pre-series (Don's custom car?). I was thinking it was going to be a complement to the Classic American Cars series, but it is going to be it's own series.

I also really liked the Gingerbread Birdhouse. I'm not really a gingerbread themed ornament collector, but I like birds and birdhouses, and it is a colorful ornament.

Edited by toppershopper (03/14/14 11:25 PM)

#260089 - 03/15/14 12:25 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
StaceyN Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Idaho
Quote:

MUSICAL SOLDIER
Special Edition

This ornament is a special offer for purchasing
Keepsake ornaments during both Premiere and
Debut weekends in 2014. The musical soldier will
kick off the first design in an unofficial series of
musical soldiers to be released over the next few
years.

This looks cute and different. (And free!) I hope I like it in person as well.

The topper is intriguing. I look forward to testing/playing with that up close and personal.

nhardy, I don't care for the Tis the Seasoning and I really wanted to...

I can't believe we're already getting 2015 sneak peeks!

#260091 - 03/15/14 09:50 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: StaceyN]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Interesting. I see definitely getting the Graduation Goofy in 2015 for Steven. He had the cutest and most adorable mimicking of Goofy's voice with several classic phrases when he was about 3 or 4, it always made me laugh. Time sure flies. He'll be graduating high school in May 2015 and I started out here on YuleLog when he was barely a month or two old (despite that it shows 1999 as my sign up date due to crash, haha although he is a very smart kid, he isn't graduating 2 years early!)

Saw several others I'd like to have.

Not too impressed with a majority of the new series. Which for me is a very good thing. I'm currently only collecting the BOB and 12 Days. Only buy other series that happen to strike my fancy.

Edited by Qwackertoo (03/15/14 10:01 AM)

#260092 - 03/15/14 10:25 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
My favorite sneak peak for 2015 is the sketch of Cookie Cutter Christmas. I really like the star shaped cookie cutter. While I do have the pre-series star shaped cookie cutter ornament from the KOC 2011 event, now my grandchildren can have that shape too.

The Ken Crow topper is interesting too.

I'm probably going to collect the new tin toy series. Not sure about the Marjolein Bastin series. Still thinking about it because the patina color she uses, often seen on bronze sculptures, clashes with with the rich brown, olive, and gold colors in my living room.

Lisa

#260094 - 03/15/14 11:49 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: Nicki Pierce]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Nicki Pierce
Originally Posted By: carstairs38

Hummmm...7 does seem like a lot. I don't really think of the Peanuts Monthly as a "series" since they are not numbered, however I guess everyone else does, so must be "just me"!

Actually, the ornaments in the Peanuts monthly series are numbered. ETA: But I am with you on not really counting it as a series. Same with the new Disney monthly series.

As far as the new sneak peaks, I like the idea of the topper and the other Ken Crow piece, but I suspect they will be out of my price range. We'll see when we get more information.

Edited by carstairs38 (03/15/14 12:25 PM)

#260096 - 03/15/14 01:36 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
Babsaroo Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

The gingerbread man in 'Tis the Seasoning is painted much brighter colors than I was expecting...still interested, but want to see how it looks in person. I really like the hummingbird and the Marjolein Bastein watering can.

I love the NHS pet shop for next year--the Puppy Love dogs inside are a nice touch!

#260099 - 03/15/14 04:30 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: Babsaroo]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Babsaroo
The gingerbread man in 'Tis the Seasoning is painted much brighter colors than I was expecting...still interested, but want to see how it looks in person. I really like the hummingbird and the Marjolein Bastein watering can.

I love the NHS pet shop for next year--the Puppy Love dogs inside are a nice touch!

Yeah, I thought it would be a different coloring too. I guess I was expecting more muted colors like Kris' gingerbread man.

But, I LOVE the second in the series! It's kitschy and adorable! I may wait to buy #1 to see if it makes it after Christmas because I still like the idea behind it. #2 is a must.

The NH&S pet shop is cute. I still think it's weird that we're seeing 2015 ornaments before their 2014 series pieces.

I adore the 2015 A Pony for Christmas. It might become my new favorite in the series.

#260104 - 03/15/14 05:55 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Of course, these pics aren't supposed to go public until the Dreambook event in May, at which point we'll all have seen this year's ornaments already.

Having said that, I completely agree with you. It's very weird.

#260106 - 03/15/14 08:40 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
toppershopper Offline
Elf VP

I think I made a post on one of the various "What ornaments would you like to see?" topics in the last few years suggesting Hallmark make more tin ornaments.

I tried to search for it, but at least for me, the forum search feature isn't working. I tried searching for the word "tin" over the last 5 years, and received zero results.

Anyway, there are two main attributes of tin ornaments that I like about past Hallmark tin ornaments such as the Tin Locomotive Trains series and the Town and Country series:

1.) The different material compared to most Hallmark ornaments, i.e. tin versus artplas or disaster plaster, etc.

2.) The vivid colors and intricate detailed graphics that can be printed onto tin.

My first impression when I saw a photo of the 2014 tin ornament of the bear was the comparatively simple graphics on the ornament. My expectation is for more detailed graphics on tin, so I'm leaning towards not getting the ornament. I'll have to look at it more closely when it is in the stores.

#260107 - 03/15/14 10:07 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: toppershopper]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: toppershopper
I think I made a post on one of the various "What ornaments would you like to see?" topics in the last few years suggesting Hallmark make more tin ornaments.

I tried to search for it, but at least for me, the forum search feature isn't working. I tried searching for the word "tin" over the last 5 years, and received zero results.

Anyway, there are two main attributes of tin ornaments that I like about past Hallmark tin ornaments such as the Tin Locomotive Trains series and the Town and Country series:

1.) The different material compared to most Hallmark ornaments, i.e. tin versus artplas or disaster plaster, etc.

2.) The vivid colors and intricate detailed graphics that can be printed onto tin.

My first impression when I saw a photo of the 2014 tin ornament of the bear was the comparatively simple graphics on the ornament. My expectation is for more detailed graphics on tin, so I'm leaning towards not getting the ornament. I'll have to look at it more closely when it is in the stores.

Linda Sickman did all, I think, of the tin ornaments in the past . . . so they would be some very tall shoes to fill for any artist after her. I use to have them all but sorta quit after the Town & Country series flopped after what 5 years? I had hopes it would run as long as NH&S did.

#260108 - 03/15/14 10:23 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

There were a few tin ornaments that weren't by Linda Sickman. I have some though not all...

Tin stockings by Katrina Bricker
1997 Son http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1997-Son_p_4496.html
1997 Daughter http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1997-Daughter_p_4348.html
1999 Dad http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1999-Dad_p_5006.html
1999 Mom http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1999-Mom_p_5083.html

1998 Cruising into Christmas by Ken Crow http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/1998-Cruising-into-Christmas_p_4677.html

2000 Merry Ballooning by Katrina Bricker and Tammy Haddix http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2000-Merry-Ballooning_p_5483.html

2000 Mickey's Sky Rider by Nello Williams http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2000-Mickeys-Sky-Rider_p_5486.html

Robot Parade series 2000 - 2002 by Nello Williams http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/search.asp?keyword=robot+parade&search=GO&sn=160462956

I think I have all the tin ornaments by Linda Sickman - (love them) - but only a few by the other artists. Wish now I'd collected the Robot Parade series...

There's probably more.

Lisa

#260109 - 03/15/14 10:59 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: grandma lise]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

I don't recall Mickey's Sky Rider being tin. I have that ornament, two of them, but being L&M they haven't made it on my tree in several years since I use a pre-lit tree for my Disney tree. Hmmmmmmm

ooops forgot about that one, yep have it too but I was thinking of the Mickey's Comet or something like that. Too many ornaments. haha

Edited by Qwackertoo (03/15/14 11:01 PM)

#260110 - 03/15/14 11:11 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Deana,

The plane in Mickey's Sky Rider is tin. And now that I think of it...isn't there a tin Looney Tunes ornament?

Yes...

2003 Bugs the Barnstormer, also "handcrafted and tin" http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2003-Bugs-the-Barnstormer_p_6512.html

I've had to replace that ornament once because we accidentally broke the penant (which is handcrafted).

Lisa

#260117 - 03/16/14 10:44 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: grandma lise]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Lisa, yep I have that one too for my Looney Tunes collection. Except for it and the Mickey airplane . . . most tin ornaments not done by Linda Sickman that you mentioned don't hold a candle to hers as far as design and the offset litho printing on the tin in my opinion. I think that is the process they use . . . as most tin ornaments aren't exactly cheap, even back in the 80's compared to similar years of artplas.

#260120 - 03/16/14 11:34 AM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Deana, I treasure my tin ornaments too, particularly the ones by Linda Sickman.

I'm excited about Tom Best's new series. I really like the circus bear, and am very much looking forward to the 2015 cowboy with lasso which is much more detailed. Yippee ki-yay!

Lisa

#260121 - 03/16/14 12:18 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: AnneTx]
Mary Lynn Offline
Elf Manager

I could have passed on the tin bear...but the 2015 Cowboy is straight out of my childhood. I would have passed on the Angel Bell last year, but loved this year's Blue and white snowflake version. The colorful gingerbread man surprised me ...I think he will look especially nice tucked in among the cupcakes...and that makes me wonder if this years cupcake will be in a yellow cup. Knowledge may be power...but in this house, it's usually just expensive!

#260122 - 03/16/14 12:43 PM Re: New series in 2014? [Re: grandma lise]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Lisa, my little scroll arrows are missing on my side windows these days so scrolling through a PDF like the sneek peek is on Digital Dreambook with holding the slider bar down . . . I missed the Cowboy for the second in the series . . . sounds neat and something I will probably want but it still won't make me buy the first one . . . Hallmark has lost that "hold on me" for having to have them all in a series. smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Moderator