YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 75 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Forum Stats
1538 Members
15 Forums
26361 Topics
325814 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#265061 - 07/10/14 05:54 PM Tree Question
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Okay...I need an artificial tree expert here.

When a site gives a width for a tree, I know it's supposed to be the diameter at the widest point (should be the bottom unless someone's buying one of those ugly upside down trees...sorry, but I hate upside down trees).

My question is: Is the diameter based on if the branches are not shaped? Like, they're sticking straight out instead of bent upward or to the side?

Lots of tree sites are running good sales because it's July, and my current tree has about had it. It's having trouble holding shape from the years of wear (it's probably 5 years old by now). The space it goes in is not very wide. I've been searching narrow trees in the height range I want, and they seem about 5 inches wider than I was expecting (on average). I cannot remember the width of my current tree and don't think it's on the box. I'll probably go through storage on Saturday and see, but I can't recall it being there.

Hopefully, someone here knows. The common sense side of my brain is saying that the width is if the branches are sticking straight out. The hesitant, skinflint in me is thinking, "don't buy until you know for sure."

#265074 - 07/10/14 07:52 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I'd say shaped and ready to decorate would be the measurement. Unless you really bend up the bottom branches, it can't vary too terribly much so unless you are really tight on space.

Standards are usually: 32" 36" 38" 42" 48" 52" 56" 60" 72" . . . I had a 10' 72" base one and whoa that took a lot of space. Most of mine are 48" and 52" diameter. Standard for 7 and 7 1/2 foot sized trees.

Aren't you a little nervous not being able to do the "branch test" in person for strength of the branches? So many these days are so darn flimsy that they can't hold up to so many of the Hallmark ornaments.

Good Luck!

#265083 - 07/10/14 09:15 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: Qwackertoo]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo
Aren't you a little nervous not being able to do the "branch test" in person for strength of the branches? So many these days are so darn flimsy that they can't hold up to so many of the Hallmark ornaments.

Good Luck!

Not really. I don't put the really heavy ones on the tree (like Candy Cane Lane with its 3 AA batteries). I've also been reading reviews. One tree I was looking at said the branches were breaking off from heavy ornaments, so I decided against that one. Another I'm looking at has positive reviews and has a more traditional branch type like what I have now. Some of the reviews have pictures, and one definitely had Hallmarks on it.

I did find a section on that site that said if you plan to have a few branches against the wall or furniture to take 6 inches off the stated diameter. So, I think this one could work since it was about 5 inches wider than I was hoping for.

I'm going to debate on it and remeasure. Thanks!

#265084 - 07/10/14 10:58 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
Texas Dee Offline
Elf

Loc: San Antonio, Tx
Check out QVC and HSN.At least 7 years ago I purchased a 7.5 green one that has a remote control that changes the light colors and motion. This is the nicest tree we ever had and everyone who sees it wants to know where I got it. It will be good for many more years.

#265090 - 07/10/14 11:53 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
nhardy Offline
Elf VP

I think my sister has that tree too. It will be Goodwilled this year. I'm sorry to say it was a lemon. 1 string of the steading burning lights, the wire pulled out of the control box. She got a partial refund from QVC instead of returning it. She bought a string of light to layer on top of the broken ones. 2 bulbs broke and would not let the light come on. I found both of the same way after 4 hours of looking, they shocked me. At the end the top leaned. I had to bend it back up straight the last 2 years. It also had a poor design on the wire harness, the top and middle were connected, bulk & heavy to get upstairs by herself. Some of the bottom branches hung at different heights to make it look lopsided. But I did love the light in motion.

We measured and measured to find one with the right width for her living room before she took it down for the last time. I keep seeing commerials for Christmas trees watching Hallmark Channel this week. There are just so many choices in tree these days.

#265098 - 07/11/14 08:22 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
marywarning Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greer, S.C.
I have a Martha Stewart tree and after 4-5 years all the middle section lights burned out. So now this year I have to buy a new one too. Last year I bought a new one on QVC and after tax and delivery charges it was up to like $800 so I canceled it. So I used my other one and just added lights to the center of it.
Mary

#265110 - 07/11/14 11:41 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
Qui-gon Grin Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
Not an expert here but as someone who has used artificial trees for most of my life, I would say it is straight.
Most trees that I have (three) have always had straight branches. I've never measured the diameter with these branches but I know the rough size of the space I can fit the tree in and have gone by that. That's why I've had three. The second one was too big for the space, this is before I paid attention to such things, or even if the width was given for this particular tree.

#265230 - 07/12/14 01:11 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
88eggs Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
The burned-out lights is the reason I don't purchase a pre-lit tree. Light strings are so cheap now that I buy all new strings about every three years. So much easier.

Ted

#265232 - 07/12/14 01:17 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

You should try a Light Keeper. They can help you identify the problem with lights. Hardware stores sell them around Christmas time.

My pre-lit tree's at least five years old, and I never had a problem with the lights. It was a cheap tree from Lowe's too. Just has gotten old and losing its shape.

#265277 - 07/12/14 04:21 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: 88eggs]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Originally Posted By: 88eggs
The burned-out lights is the reason I don't purchase a pre-lit tree. Light strings are so cheap now that I buy all new strings about every three years. So much easier.

Ted, I think that's smart. Taking the light strings off of pre-lits takes a long time unless you clip and throw away as you go.

I think I'm going to keep my pre-lit, less its lights, and put my light strings on it so I can replace them as needed.

The light strings I'm in the process of removing from my pre-lit are similar in style to icicle lighting, but spaced differently.

Lisa

#265901 - 07/18/14 08:42 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: nhardy]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: nhardy
I keep seeing commerials for Christmas trees watching Hallmark Channel this week. There are just so many choices in tree these days.

That's actually what inspired me to look online. Lots of tree websites are running Christmas in July sales.

And after finally going out to the storage building to seek out my tree's box, the diameter given was 51 inches, which is way bigger than I thought it was. That gave me peace of mind.

I bought a tree from Treetopia. This is the tree I've purchased, and it's on its way:
http://www.treetopia.com/classic-artificial-christmas-trees-p/brooklyn-led-spruce-tree.htm
Free shipping, comes with a storage bag, no sales tax, way cheaper than what I can get locally around Christmas. I'm all for buying locally, but the nicer trees here are $500+, then you add in the sales tax (would be over $30 extra), it's very expensive. My last one came from Lowe's (probably was around $100...yeah...I was being frugal). It's okay, but this one's a bit taller, not as wide (apparently, who knew mine was that wide), seems like nicer quality too. One of the reviews had a picture, and I could see Hallmarks in the fuzzy picture, so that's good. My tree's just lost its shape, and I'd like one with less sparse branches (mine's never been very full-looking even after fluffing). I was hoping for an LED tree, but every site I found them on for the size I was looking for, they were sold out of LED. Oh well. More excuses to use light string ornaments (I'm planning to buy 1 or 2 legacy cords too).

This is a LightKeeper Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-01201-Complete-Fixing-Miniature/dp/B000R8KBOK/
This is a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvH6try6hZ8
I plan to buy one this year (hopefully at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon, since rumors are that they sell them) because my grandmother's tree has a burnt out section (and the tree came out of the box that way, she got it last year). It looks pretty easy to use, and the reviews are really good on it. Her solution last year was to put the burnt out section against the wall.

#265902 - 07/18/14 09:15 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
Which size did you order from Treetopia?

We've been using a Lightkeeper for years and love it.

#265905 - 07/18/14 10:19 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I ordered the 7 foot version of the Brooklyn Spruce. Clear lights, non-LED.

I had a 6.5 foot and wanted a taller one but I wanted to make sure the diameter would fit. My 6.5 foot was 51 inches in diameter, this one's 46 inches. From what I read on the Balsalm Hill site, if it goes against a wall, that usually knocks 6 inches off the diameter, so this should work fine. The ceiling's an 8 foot ceiling, but the location for the tree is close to where the ceiling fan is, and I didn't want to do a 7.5 foot and risk the fan hitting the tree topper (I have a finial one, and it stands out further than the top of the tree).

#265907 - 07/18/14 10:33 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Nice luckdragon! I like that it's a mix of molded and traditional branches with the shaped tips. It looks very similar in design to my tree. I think you're going to love it!

Lisa

#265913 - 07/18/14 11:12 AM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
nhardy Offline
Elf VP

I wonder if the new supply of LED trees are still coming and making their way through customs.

One of those places online had pre-lit trees with star shaped LED lights. I thought they were neat. Mind you, I'm not in the market for a tree. But I still like to look. I have LED light strings on all my trees except for the living room tree. I like the idea of the LED lights saving money when you put up a few trees. I just hate the shocking blue color bulbs. Last year, I saw LEDs with aqua color instead of the shocking blue ones with pinks and purples too.

Last year, my sister got her new tree. It was slimmer which I loved but for some reason it had more spots to hang more ornaments which she loves. I can't wait to hear what you think of your tree! It has a lot of cool features.

#265923 - 07/18/14 03:59 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Came home from shopping, and the tree was here. I ordered it on Wednesday, so that was very quick considering they sent me the email saying it got shipped on Thursday.

I put it together, and it seems like it'll fit in the space. I didn't fluff it out because I didn't want to bother trying to get it back into the box after spreading everything. But, I plugged it in, and the lights work perfectly! Dropped a few PVC needles, but I've never had a tree that didn't. The construction on it's sound, so that's good. I was a bit confused on where the lights plugged in since the instructions were slightly faded, but I figured it out that they all plugged into the middle section. Quite pleased with the price, shipping cost, shipping speed, and the quality for the price. The lifelike needles are so cute, but the traditional ones can hold the weight of larger ornaments, so I'm happy with a tree with both. I'm sure it'll look nice at Christmas once I fluff the branches.

Bought the LightKeeper Pro today at Hobby Lobby. The 40% off coupon brought it down to $14.99. wink Even more excited that I bought some Reebok at Hamrick's today. The sign said they were $32, but they rang up half price green dot at the register, and I had a 10% off coupon, so they were $21.60 including the tax. Nice that they were half off since the box wasn't marked and all of this style were away from the clearance aisle.

#265927 - 07/18/14 05:12 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
Well, you had a really good day!

#265928 - 07/18/14 06:10 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
KATIE ANN Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ST. ALBANS, WV, US
Were you tempted to put a few ornaments on the tree?

#265929 - 07/18/14 06:41 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: KATIE ANN]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: KATIE ANN
Were you tempted to put a few ornaments on the tree?

Thought about it when ordering the tree, but the dog kept walking on the bubble wrap all over the floor (from the tree), so it slipped my mind hearing the bubbles pop and all. She was quite frustrated from the bubble wrap. I still remember when I got her, putting the tree up in October so she'd get used to moving around it (no ornaments, just the bare tree). I remember taking it out of the box and how weirded out she was when the tree basically "popped" out when flipped over.

I was also tired from running errands. Very disappointed that Hobby Lobby had none of the Kurt Adler Nutcracker ornaments. I'll have to buy the two new ones from ebay, I guess.

#265939 - 07/18/14 10:29 PM Re: Tree Question [Re: luckdragon]
curt1108 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ft laud,florida
that tree is pretty. i have 2 questions

1) does it look real..because on their site it does

2) is the tree stand really hid in the base of tree, or did they just not show it used on their site?

if a fake tree really went all the way to the ground like that with no showing stand.. i want one laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator