YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
2 registered (beaglebabes, lindafay), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1533 Members
15 Forums
26204 Topics
323947 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#267221 - 08/16/14 10:11 PM 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Okay, so last year, the last Tuesday of August was when the first Sketchbook ornaments premiered on the Disney Store website. Trust me, I've been watching daily, and I've noticed Tuesday is kind of a day they pop new stuff up. I'll alert when Sketchbook ornaments show up.

Like last year, while we wait, anyone have any hopes/wishes for certain characters and/or scenes?

My top 10 character hopes (limiting myself to one per movie). In order:
1. Tarzan from "Tarzan"
2. Vanellope from "Wreck-It Ralph"
3. Captain Li Shang from "Mulan"
4. Prince Adam from "Beauty and the Beast"
5. Trusty from "Lady and the Tramp"
6. Kristoff from "Frozen"
7. Fairy Godmother from "Cinderella"
8. Merlin from "The Sword and the Stone"
9. Oliver from "Oliver and Company"
10. Robin Hood from "Robin Hood"

That's just the tip of the iceberg for what I'd like to see. For my wallet's sake though...it'd be better not to see that many. wink Doubtful they'll be there. Only got 2 from last year's list. The top 5 are from my personal top 5 favorite Disney movies (not in official order, I just have nothing from "Tarzan" and "Wreck-It Ralph" and only one character from "Mulan," so those take priority...move 4 and 5 above 1-3, and they're in order).

Throw me a bone with "Tarzan," Disney, will you?

#267237 - 08/17/14 09:37 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm hoping they do a Robin Hood ornament. I would be happy with just that. Ah, whatever. I pick them all up no matter what they are. I'm just happy when they do a couple of obscure characters. I guess I shouldn't say obscure. More like 'less desirable to the masses' characters like last year's "Rescuers" and Casey Junior ornaments. Those are the kind of ornaments I like.

#267238 - 08/17/14 09:39 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

And, like you Luckdragon, I've been checking everyday. I have a Disney Store just a few miles from my house so, when they become available, I'll head there and pick them up.

#267370 - 08/20/14 12:22 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
All of those sound good to me. I must admit I have so many gaps I'll take just about anything. Of course, we'll probably get the usual suspects again, but I hope we get some new characters.

#267493 - 08/25/14 06:04 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

They're up (well, some of them):
http://www.disneystore.com/sketchbook-or...romSearch=10002
-Limited edition Sketchbook ornament of Walt Disney (costs more, 1000 pieces)
-new frilly princess ornaments, same sculpts as before but fabric skirts with glitter detail instead of tulle (Merida has been added to frilly princesses) Aurora in blue is a .com exclusive (you can get her in pink too)
-Mary Poppins 50th anniversary
-Pascal modeling Rapunzel's little dress
-Alice and Cheshire Cat
-Doc McStuffins and Lambie
-Jake and the Neverland Pirates
-singing Rapunzel ornament (costs more)
-lots of ornaments based on classic Disney cartoon shorts
-some repeats

Definitely isn't all since "Frozen" isn't up, and it's highly doubtful they won't do a "Frozen" Sketchbook ornament.

If you want that Walt Disney ornament, BUY IT TODAY! It is the start of a limited release 12 month collection that starts now. You can learn about the collection here:
http://www.disneystore.com/mn/1025033/
I will be obsessively stalking for that Snow White ornament. I also want the Flowers and Trees one, Fantasia, Saludos Amigos, and Treasure Island. Man, this is going to be expensive (shipping and all). They're playing on my obsession with the stuff you can't find elsewhere. That Snow White ornament, out of all of them, shall be mine. I already ordered the August one (Walt).

Besides those, the ones I like so far are Minnie Mouse and Figaro Bath Day and Donald and Daisy Duck Mr. Duck Steps Out. I can see in the banner that they have one that's not shown yet. It's a Goofy one, presumably based on a cartoon. Can't place it though (I'm not good at the Shorts' names).

I tried snooping based on their image names, but they haven't uploaded anything else yet. Maybe next month.

#267502 - 08/25/14 10:00 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Those limited release ornaments look great. Not sure if I can resist.

They are on-line exclusives, right? Not sold in stores?

#267503 - 08/25/14 10:29 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: carstairs38]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Thanks Amanda!!!! Now I just have to get the other 11 in a timely manner. smile

#267517 - 08/25/14 03:03 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
tiggerfan Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Texas
Oh wow - thanks for posting this. I also received an email indicating that the sketchbook ornaments were starting to show up. I just had to buy a few of the princesses and I really love the Walt Disney series so I bought the first one today. I am going to see how they look in one of the Mickey Mouse display sets I bought. I bought a few of these at Premier so I also am going to use one to display the princesses. It's going to be a very Merry Christmas (and my wallet may not be thanking me). :-)

#267518 - 08/25/14 03:49 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: carstairs38]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: carstairs38
Those limited release ornaments look great. Not sure if I can resist.

They are on-line exclusives, right? Not sold in stores?

Yes, they are online exclusives. It says so in a blue circle at the top of this page: http://www.disneystore.com/mn/1025033/
It's probably too hard to allocate such a low number to retail stores and to sell Christmas ornaments year-round in stores that typically don't.

Oh, and I checked, and Disney Store UK is selling it. Check out the link because it shows the box it comes in:
http://www.disneystore.co.uk/walt-disney-in-los-angeles-figurine/mp/73624/1000202/

I'm starting to wonder if I can resist all 12...June's looks so much like one of Hallmark's though... Granted, not as much as the Brave Little Tailor Sketchbook ornament looks like the one Hallmark did a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo
Thanks Amanda!!!! Now I just have to get the other 11 in a timely manner. smile

I think once the September one shows up, we'll all figure out the pattern. I'm more than willing to check online everyday for them. I really love the concept of this series and would not be opposed to another monthly series next year commemorating something else (maybe go past Walt and call it a Legacy series because it's built on his name or something).

That Flowers and Trees ornament looks stunning in the picture! My eyes went to that before I even noticed that Snow White ornament I've wanted for years.

I also like that (aside from the princesses) they've made some really risky, bold choices for the other Sketchbook ornaments. Basing them on cartoon shorts is a really interesting move.

#267538 - 08/25/14 10:31 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
These look terrific and I really, really like them. But OUCH. I can't really afford these right now, and since they are only doing one a month then you can't really bundle with other purchases to get the free shipping (although I did it just now for the first Walt ornament... picked up a t-shirt for Mark for Christmas and a few other items). Had to have this first one - I've done an all-Disney tree before but Walt wasn't on it anywhere. Nice to include him.
I definitely want Saludas Amigos (reminds me of the ride in Epcot), and Flowers and Trees. Would be nice to have a Treasure Island representation, but I'm not fond of the concept art for that one.

#267556 - 08/26/14 08:53 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: Diana*]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Yes, would be nice IF we could manage a group buy each month and then re-distribute quarterly or something to pass on savings on shipping BUT with the limit of 2 per guest . . . that sure won't work.

I even did an online chat, which was a waste of time, yesterday with a cast member asking IF they would make a pre-order available so I could insure that I could acquire all 12. Nope, not that she knew of. Then told to keep checking back for each one. Asked IF perhaps do they update their products at midnight or just any time any day . . . Yep, anytime any day so maybe I will maybe I won't but I'll try and appreciate luckdragon's posting on it for this first one!!!

It would be fun IF these 12 manage to fit in the spaces on the Hallmark Mickey displayer! I'll have to peek today to see IF future releases included dimensions.

#267566 - 08/26/14 11:18 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

You can occasionally catch a free shipping offer if you buy a Parks Authentic product and can save a couple of bucks on shipping that way (in the past, they've had Parks Authentic reusable totes that cost $2.95). Shipping on the ornament is $4.95.

Considering someone's already listed 2 of them on ebay for $45.95, I'll gladly pay the shipping. ebay, under Handling time has it as this: "The seller has specified an extended handling time for this item." No kidding. It's because they don't have them yet. Seller's got some guts. I'd be afraid to sell something I don't have in my hands yet. You never know if the package from Disney will get lost or ruined. If they did regular shipping like I did, it's going to take a bit for them to actually ship them (I noticed that with the Aurora set, it took a while before they shipped and my card was charged twice while the order was pending). Why not just wait until you have them to sell them?

Personally, I'm hoping that they'll have all of the Sketchbook ornaments up by October and am hoping to be able to order Flowers and Trees with my Sketchbook choices to get the free shipping. I'm also hoping that the Friends & Family discount promo will overlap one of them. That'll discount enough to cover shipping. Disney Movie Rewards gave a $5 .com discount coupon a couple of years ago in December I think. That covers shipping. I think Friends and Family happens in the spring too, so hopefully we'll all get little discounts throughout.

I also don't believe they (Disney Store) add products any time of day. I've never seen them add anything on weekends, and everything new seems to be added overnight. Usually on Tuesdays, so I was surprised to see stuff pop up on Monday. When September's comes out, we'll figure it out. If it's near the end of the month like this one, then it'll be the end of the month. I think they'll probably put them out nearer to the beginning of the month.

#267639 - 08/27/14 08:27 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Received my ornament today! Fast shipping. Very nicely done. Not too heavy at all. Reminds me of the bronze look figurines of "Walt & Mickey". Very nicely packaged too.

Looking forward to future additions in this series.

#267643 - 08/27/14 11:32 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

I'd forgotten all about this topic and then found it again this morning. I've got a copy of the ornament coming my way. Knowing me, I'll probably go for the entire series, but there are a couple I'm thinking of passing, at least at the moment.

#267650 - 08/28/14 09:22 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: luckdragon
When September's comes out, we'll figure it out. If it's near the end of the month like this one, then it'll be the end of the month. I think they'll probably put them out nearer to the beginning of the month.

I tried dinking around with the "code"for awhile on Monday trying to see future item numbers for the other months and couldn't figure out their item numbering or html code for any future releases. I didn't try for very long and it maybe not even be in the system yet . . . but I will try again when I'm feeling patient enough. wink

And yes, there are a few designs out of the 12 I'd consider not buying . . . and I'm no longer buying "all" of any Hallmark series as I've broken free from that . . . so time shall tell on this series. Like you, I really want that Snow White!!!

#267653 - 08/28/14 10:37 AM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
tiggerfan Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Texas
I should be receiving my ornaments today, including Walt Disney. I am also buying the princesses as they are very pretty. :-) And of course Tigger! I can't wait to see what other Sketchbook ornaments will be available.

Angela

#267670 - 08/28/14 10:59 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

Saw these the other day. I am kind of disappointed in this initial crop of ornaments but I understand princesses sell so they have to go with what makes money. I will pick up "Two Chips and a Miss," one of my favorite Disney shorts. I also pick up the Mary Poppins and Alice with Cheshire Cat. Might get the Minnie Mouse and Figaro just for Figaro. Have to think about that one since I already have a couple of Figaro ornaments. Isn't that the Pocahontas ornament from last year?

#267689 - 08/29/14 10:15 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Pocahontas is from last year. So is Gus and Jaq, Tigger and Eeyore, and Lady and the Tramp. Maybe the Mickey balloon is too, but something looks different about it...

The princesses (except for Merida) are from a couple of years ago, just glitterized with fabric skirts instead of tulle.

Got my Walt Disney ornament today! I'm very pleased with it. The ornament is actually lightweight, unlike the usual heavy resin. I'm guessing the sculpt is the reason and others will be heavy. The box is adorable!

I'm still debating Steamboat Willie. They have a cheaper ornament of him that I like better, if I wanted one. Plus their description is wrong. Steamboat Willie was not Mickey's first appearance. It was the first cartoon synchronized to sound.

#267690 - 08/29/14 10:39 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Steamboat Willie was not the first Mickey short finished. However, it was the first one released. The other two were synched to sound after Steamboat Willie and released later.

So since Steamboat Willie was the first one that the general public saw, they are correct. Since it wasn't the first one made, you are correct.

(The above post has been brought to you by a DisNerd splitting hairs for another DisNerd.)

#267746 - 09/01/14 06:23 PM Re: 2014 Disney Sketchbook Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I guess that makes sense, thanks Mark! smile

I went ahead and made a separate topic for Moments That Made Disney:
http://www.yulelog.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267745

Hope everyone got Walt who wanted him. He's sold out in the US.

But, he's not sold out in the UK. And I thought for the heck of it, I'd try searching ornaments on the Disney Store UK site to see what showed up.

Maybe other Sketchbook ornaments? Hmm? They do mention Sketchbook in the description.
Dumbo: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/dumbo-decoration/mp/70577/1500055/
Nightmare Before Christmas: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/the-nightmare-before-christmas-jack-decoration/mp/70579/1500055/
Dusty*: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/planes-dusty-decoration/mp/70741/1500055/
Sofia the First*: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/sofia-and-minimus-personalised-decoration/mp/70739/1500055/
Winnie the Pooh and Piglet: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/winnie-the-pooh-and-piglet-decoration/mp/70599/1500055/

*Several Sketchbook ornaments on the UK site offer personalization, so I'm thinking if these are in the US, they won't have that option. Proof is here with the Rapunzel ornament: http://www.disneystore.co.uk/rapunzel-personalised-decoration/mp/70737/1500055/

I never thought to check the Disney Store UK site for these. Now I have a new site to hunt! Mwa ha ha!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Moderator