YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325460 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#26761 - 05/31/02 06:01 PM Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last night while peacefully minding my own business and watching some TV, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.

Our downstairs isn't very big, so he kept flying/fluttering around in circles. Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen. Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen. I kept ducking (low ceilings) until I could get to the front door and sliding glass back door and let the sucker out. Poor thing, I guess he got his workout at our house. I don't know how he got in, but I was ready for him to leave.

Someone asked me how big it was. I said, well, for your average bat, he was normal size, but when they're in YOUR HOUSE, they're as big as your head.

Needless to say, I never thought we'd have a bat in our house. Guess I can't say that anymore.

I just hope he doesn't tell his friends where the party is!

How about ya'll? Any squeeking/fluttering/night dwelers in your house?

Syl in Kentucky

PS: I'm breaking out the garlic!

#26762 - 05/31/02 09:00 PM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Mickey1 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: North Carolina
You took it better than I would.
I would have been the one out the door. The bat could HAVE the house.

#26763 - 06/01/02 01:08 AM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, in my MIL's attic. It totally freaked me out. I just about made a new opening in her wall trying to get out of there!

#26764 - 06/01/02 08:04 AM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have never had a bat in OUR house, but I know we have had them in the attic, but we got a new roof last year and they took out the old brick chimney, so I am hoping I don't have any any more! But almost all of my friends have had them in their houses. Our neighbor lady across the street has them all the time, in her house. Nobody lives in this area without keeping a tennis racket on hand!

If you saw one, you probably have many more. They are like mice, they say if you see one, there are more. And they can get in the smallest cracks.

I don't know about other states, but it is against the law in IOWA to kill one. Well, this is one lady who will have no problem breaking that law! If one gets in my house, he will be dead!

------------------
Karen
IOWA -That's Where The Tall Corn Grows.

#26765 - 06/01/02 11:50 AM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Cathy_Tex Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Houston TX
I'm happy to report that I've never seen one in my house. I know that there are lots of them living under a nearby bridge that crosses a bayou, near our house. I have seen them leaving in groups (flocks?) from under that bridge at nightfall.

A few years ago my son's elementary school had a bat roosting in one of the classrooms, on the ceiling. I don't know how long he'd been hanging there, but during the class one of the kids noticed it. The school had some animal group come out and collect the bat.

Syl, it sounds like you reacted quite calmly to your visitors presence. Glad he wasn't a vampire bat!

------------------
Cathy Metcalf - Houston, Texas
Friends are the BEST collectibles!
Visit my home on the web!

#26766 - 06/01/02 03:41 PM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup, when I was growing up they showed up in the house pretty often. They had found a tiny hole and moved into the attic. Owls used to sit on the TV antenna and wait for them to come out, which really messed up the picture. Some guy came and "fixed the problem" by sealing the hole. That night the attic was full of frantic flying bats. My poor father had to go up through the circling bats and open a window for them. They zipped out and never came back.

#26767 - 06/08/02 03:11 PM Re: Have YOU ever had bats in your belfry?
Stephanie Marshall Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Indiana
we had about a hundred of them at our house in Columbus, Georgia. The vents at the front of the house-which vented the attic, had screens behind the louvered covering and they would hang on there to sleep. Not really a problem but the mess they left at the foot of the house was gross. Every night they would swarm out -interesting to watch really and they eat alot of bugs. They aren't scarey if you see them up close and they don't hurt anyone. I don't like them flying around my head though. My husband added screen to the front of the vents so they found new homes -probably in our neighbors attic! Steph

Moderator:  Moderator