YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26157 Topics
323423 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#273696 - 12/27/14 08:19 PM Blasphemy, but what will remove...
BluOrchid2 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Lee's Summit, MO
Writing from a Hallmark ornament, like the "First Christmas Together" or Baby's First Christmas type wording on some ornaments. Obviously talking about the plastic-type, not satin balls or glass ornaments. I have some I want to use on a Valentine's Day tree, and want to erase the words.

#273715 - 12/28/14 09:10 AM Re: Blasphemy, but what will remove... [Re: BluOrchid2]
pxsrdh Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: U.S.A.
I've never removed writing from a Hallmark ornament but have
removed the facial screening from a Barbie doll.

I use nail polish remover (NPR). I roll a little cotton on the end
of a toothpick, dip it into the NPR, blot it, use strokes that go
in one direction only...either up or down but not back and forth.

I use multiple toothpicks so as not to smear the paint. I work
slowly, deliberately and cautiously. I stay away from colors I
don't want to remove.

Once I'm done, I blot it with a damp paper towel.

Hallmark fan,
Queli

#273727 - 12/28/14 02:24 PM Re: Blasphemy, but what will remove... [Re: BluOrchid2]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
I use alcohol with mixed results. As I recall, Diana uses fine sand paper to remove words from porcelain ornaments. I also recall someone here painting over words with acrylic craft paints, but can't remember who.

By the way, both heart ornaments this year are designed with no words on the reverse side. smile

Lisa

#273733 - 12/28/14 05:37 PM Re: Blasphemy, but what will remove... [Re: BluOrchid2]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
Try the high strength acetone (nail polish remover) I think it is 90% or similar.

#273744 - 12/28/14 09:18 PM Re: Blasphemy, but what will remove... [Re: BluOrchid2]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
I've had good luck using acetone based nail polish remover to clean rubber stamps caked with dried on pigment (paint) based inks, but read the label because most nail polish removers no longer contain acetone.

Acetone is good stuff. smile

Lisa

#273750 - 12/29/14 01:05 AM Re: Blasphemy, but what will remove... [Re: BluOrchid2]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
I wrote a detailed response yesterday but looks like it didn't post.

I had a pure chemical at work that was a real charm, but don't have access to it anymore, and don't recall the name, so that's no help at all, is it? I only mention it because it worked quickly and painlessly and I haven't found anything else comparable. Maybe ethylene? Anyway, I've tried alcohol and NPR but they weren't as effective.

Whatever you do, do NOT use paint remover or paint thinner. Those products are too strong and will not only remove the paint. but also melt the plastic and ruin the ornament.

Action figure/model customizers swear by Simple Green, automotive degreasers, and brake fluid. Apparently you can pick up variations of the last two at the dollar store. I haven't tried it myself so can't say for certain.

Whatever you try, do it in small amounts, and Queli's tip about one direction is VERY good. You don't want to smear the paint onto areas where there currently isn't any.

One thing I found helpful is removing some of the excess first by scraping gently only on the letters themselves with an exacto knife. You have to be very careful.

For porcelain ornaments, Lisa is right - a fine grit sandpaper (I like the blocks of foam sanders) works but you have to be patient and keep at it a long time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Moderator:  Moderator