YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325460 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#27580 - 06/11/02 08:54 AM Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Carko Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Greenfield, WI USA
If you were a Hallmark artist and were instructed to design a new series of ornaments that would have mass appeal, what would you design?
I would do some kind of Patriotic series with the flag incorporated in it. Say cute woodland creatures displaying the flag
(clip-on ornaments for sure!).
Or how about a series of figures dressed as Uncle Sam with the flag--a snowman, elf, teddy bear, nutcracker, rocking horse, Betsey Ross, the Statue of Liberty and of course Mr. and Mrs. Santa!

Premeire is drawing near--what would you like to see on the shelves???

#27581 - 06/11/02 03:06 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Mary F. Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Carko, I like your Patriotic theme. Hallmark needs to make move of the clip-ons.

My Series would be clip-on Zoo Animals in wagons that are decorated for Christmas. Instead of hanging them on the tree, we can place them in a row on the branches around the tree.

Another idea would be adding onto the Zebra Fantasy with Zoo animals rocking.

#27582 - 06/11/02 07:26 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know 50 is a lot, but I would like to design a ornament representing each state. Mouse and Cornstalk for Iowa (even though Frosty Friends works well here too), Horse and dog friend for Kentucky, Wacky Alligator for Florida, Covered Wagon for Oregon, etc. Every store would of course get their own state ornament and they would be available all year round. So it would give us collectors an excuse for road trips, to collect along the way during business trips (business-yea right) and as souvenirs from states visited when on vacation during the year. And if we couldn't drive there, well...there's always the phone. You know us collectors.

If I were an artist.

Syl

#27583 - 06/12/02 05:48 AM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Richard Gehrke Offline

Loc: Mahtowa, MN
I like the idea of the Patriotic Ornaments and I am hoping that Hallmark will come out with more Patriotic ornaments in the near future.

I also like the idea of an ornament representing each state (they are on the right track now with the coin ornament for each state's coin.)

I am not an artist so I can't really add any input into this conversation. What about ornaments representing certain landmarks in America (i.e. Empire State Building, White House, U.S. Capitol, Pentagon.)

I would like to start some new Magic Series as well. What about a series of lighted buildings and shops to go with the ones they did in the mid 80's (General Store, Little Red Schoolhouse). Village Toy Shop would be an excellent precursor to a new series or an unannounced series as well.

#27584 - 06/12/02 01:00 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I think the Patriotic themed ornaments would be a runaway hit, especially this year. Some might not appreciate the over abundance of patriotic products these past few months but the outpouring of patriotism shown hadn't been seen in too many years gone by.

I recall the 100 Years Of Magic pins ended the 100 pins series with the 100th & Final pin depicting Mickey holding the state flag of all the states & provinces. These pins were a GIGANTIC hit and I was completely amazed at the prices some of those pins from states with very few Disney Stores fetched on eBay. I'm guessing these were planned and produced prior to the terrorist attacks but I'm not 100% certain.

I think, as long as we are pretending here, that Hallmark could produce either a Patriotic looking Angel ornament holding the flag for each state OR produce a Patriotic looking Santa, perhaps similar to the 1997 Merry Olde Santa. I'm sure whichever they chose, some would prefer an angel while others might prefer a Santa, oh well. I would also limit distribution to only allow a particular state to be shipped to that particular state for sale and I also wouldn't allow them to be sold at Hallmark.com as it would kinda take away from the limited availability. I would also make them Gold Crown exclusive. Of course I would hate to not be able to find them at a retail store only to log on to eBay and find gazillions!!!!

Another wish while I'm at it . . . . PLEASE don't let the powers at be take the "easy" way out . . . . IF they made a Millenium Snowman styled ornament representing each state, that would truly be overkill for that little design!!!

Perhaps IF Hallmark could capitalize and sieze the moment so to speak and expedite production we could see them in the stores by Thanksgiving weekend. Look how fast they were able to do the Patriotic Snowman, so it could possibly be done???

I can see myself scrambling to get one shipped to me from both Texas & Virginia for my Hallmark collection.

------------------
Deanna

Stay-At-Home-Mom
[img]http://members.aol.com/disneyfool/myhomepage/9-11_mickey.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

#27585 - 06/12/02 04:21 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
homemadebycarol Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Reno, NV
I would do a dessert theme like Christopher Radko does with cupcakes, cakes, confections, etc. They could be displayed all year round and some could reflect holidays other than Christmas, like Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc. Maybe do a cupcake series to start off with and if that goes well, do one of different desserts like a slice of homemade apple pie, strawberry shortcake, lemon tart, tiramisu, creme brulee. They could be presented on decorated plates that would reflect the season, e.g. line the edge of a Christmas plate holding a slice of fruitcake with holly and berries, a slice of apple pie could be on a plate decorated with a red, white and blue theme for 4th of July, a piece of pumpkin pie on a Thankgiving plate, etc.

I would also like to see a series of well-done, detailed gingerbread houses to make a gingerbread town. I haven't seen the New Home ornament for this year in person yet but I really like it from the dreambook so something along that line (but not as a hinged box) with special magic editions once in awhile similar to Gingerbread Fantasy.

#27586 - 06/13/02 07:20 AM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Taj Offline
Elf VP

I would like to see more Merry Miniatures. How about Peanuts Thanksgiving or Fourth of July?

As far as patriotic, a figural ornament representing each branch of the military saluting would be cool. I'd also like to include a polic officer and a fireman in his fireman gear. But I don't know that being in all his gear could have him saluting.

How about George Washington in the boat with men crossing the river or an ornament similar to the Tender Touches with the flute player, drummer, etc., but with people and not animals.

Anythig patriotic would be great. I've always loved patriotic themed decor and now am even more enamored. Fourth of July has always been a time that I look forward to and I especially will this year.

For NON patriotic themes: :-)

A series of the castles of Europe or a medeival theme so there will be a king, queen, prince, princess, shield, horse, knight, jeweled goblet, jester, crown, banner, etc.

For Halloween the Universal monsters.

I like Carol's idea for a cupcake series and a gingerbread series as well. I love Gingerbread Fantasy and this year's scented Gingerbread House is on my must have list.

I would like to see more fairies like last year's fairies or more like Mistletoe Fairy. Again, I'm looking forward to the Christmas Fairy this year.

A series of different ribbon candy would be cool. Full-size or miniature size. Perhaps a set of 3 each year?

I have to say my usual, a series of very fancily wrapped packages and then of course, a series of elves doing various jobs.

And last, but not least, a series of famous couples throughout time.

#27587 - 06/13/02 06:48 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
I would like to seem some of the overlooked characters from Disney done, just a few include:

Fantasia - many could be featured especially Steadfast Soldier and Ballerina
Snow White with ALL 7 Dwarfs - classic scene
Fairy Godmother - Cinderalla we have several of her
The Ugly Stepsisters - Cinderella
Queen of Hearts - Alice
White Rabbit - Alice
A few of the Prince(s) would be nice
Jungle Book characters - none done to date
Beast - Beauty & Beast
More items to go with Ms. Pott's from last year
Tarzan - none done to date
More castles - Disneyland Paris - Tokyo Disney
Brer Rabbit
Brer Fox
Brer Bear
and I think a whole L&M series that was mentioned many months ago featuring various rides & attractions at both DL & WDW
Floats from various parades
especially from the Christmas parade
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few & I'm sure many don't want to see any more Disney just like those that don't care for the sports or the Barbies or the cars or the Star Wars or Trek or ????? just fill in the blank!

Oh how could I forget??? Perhaps the classic Walt with Mickey in the old timey car at DisneyLand or takeoff on the fantasy Art of Disney styled print of Walt & Mickey walking over the bridge at WDW or the Self-Portrait Norman Rockwell styled Mickey drawing Walt. Hallmark artists have done an outstanding job on some of their ornaments of famous/important people.

------------------
Deanna

Stay-At-Home-Mom
[img]http://members.aol.com/disneyfool/myhomepage/9-11_mickey.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

[This message has been edited by Qwackertoo (edited 06-13-2002).]

#27588 - 06/13/02 07:16 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
Mary F. Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
My sister would LOVE to see more Military figures. I buy the Patriotic ornaments for her husband each year. She gets the "Sister" one.

She would like to see a Hallmark Military Picture Frame, representing each branch of the Service. She has been bugging me to mention this.

#27589 - 06/18/02 04:14 PM Re: Pretend you are a Hallmark artist....
sueinBC Offline
Elf VP

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
If I were a Hallmark artist...............

Hmmm, that almost defies my imagination as my artistic talent is located in my pinkie fingernail.

However, I'd like to see a series of multi-dimensional snowflakes.

I'd also like a series that sort of combines the Windows of the World and Peace on Earth series but would be just of the children. Each child would be dressed in his traditional costume and the hands of the child would be made so that it linked with the hand of the next child in the series to form a chain.

------------------
Sue, Surrey,B.C.

"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

Moderator:  Moderator