YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1535 Members
15 Forums
26278 Topics
324856 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#290313 - 01/05/16 11:09 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: Faster]
Moley Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Faster
I've heard Hallmark is not doing a series in a year because this years was such a failure.

I am stunned. I thought this one would have been the most popular to date. I wonder if the display stand was the series' undoing. I did not care for it because it didn't open in back like a real bakery display case. I would have preferred a tiered cupcake stand like Wilton does in cardboard only in a sturdier material. Then I might have wanted to get the whole series. It always surprises me what catches fire and what does not.

#290315 - 01/05/16 11:31 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
npjunkie Offline
Elf

Loc: Central AR
As a Hallmark store employee we have discounted every series after Christmas. we have more than 15 complete Disney sets less the
stand.

#290318 - 01/05/16 12:31 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
There are no less than 10 cupcake display pieces at more store. Now at 70% off. I guess I didn't realize that they didn't open in the back like a real cupcake one would. Mmm was thinking if seeing if some are left after they discount again. Maybe not now.

#290325 - 01/05/16 01:58 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: AnneTx]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: AnneTx
Wouldn't it be great if Hallmark did a book-a-month year long series! That would appeal to book lovers as well as ornament collectors (and those who are both!) Hallmark, are you listening?

I would buy them.

We bought all the Peanuts year long series, about half the Disney, and none of the cupcakes. But that's our likes and dislikes.

#290331 - 01/05/16 04:18 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Haven't done any of the year-long series. It's too much. I only have the Christmas Charlie Brown and the Valentine's Linus (since I love that part of the Valentine's special). I only bought them due to a coupon that I had to use to get a better coupon in the future (it was a store thing).

Although, they missed any easy one. Edythe Kegrize's 12 Days of Christmas series as a year-round would have been an easy one. How many of us would have appreciated this 12-year series being over with in one year? But, they focus too much on doing "monthly" ornaments literally representing each month. It's like what they used to do with Merry Miniatures.

I do collect the Disney Store's monthly series, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. More expensive than Hallmark's too. And, at least it's not "here's a Valentine's ornament for February, here's an Easter one for April, a beach ornament for August."

#290352 - 01/05/16 09:00 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
I'm relieved to hear this though I'm still enjoying my Peanuts series.

I like the collections of themed ornaments so much better...

2010-11 Wonder and Light
2009 Santa's Sleigh Collection
2007 Snowmen of Wintergarden
2006 Yuletide Harmony
2006 The Merry Bakers
2004 Santas From Around the World
2003 A Visit From Santa
2002 Memories of Christmas
2001 Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas

I collected all except The Merry Bakers, sometimes multiple sets after Christmas.

Lisa

#290356 - 01/05/16 09:47 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: grandma lise]
Moley Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Arkansas
grandma lise, I still search for Wonder and Light pieces. Our local store didn't carry the whole line. I loved that set so much. I guess a hope and wish for 2016 would be something to complement that series since it works off a magic cord.

#290362 - 01/05/16 11:29 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Faster Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Ontario
We will know for sure by the end of January or start of February if there is not going to be a series in a year.

I thought there was 4 main issues with the series.

1) Price point. Could have been a bit cheaper
2) The constant repeat of characters, 12 ornaments only 7 characters in the Peanuts one, same story with the Disney one
3) It was just a mess for the stores to keep track of.
4) Redundant designs and some unimaginative ornaments

If they did another series my hope would be Looney Tunes and 12 different characters with more abstract representations of the months.

#290364 - 01/05/16 11:35 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I'm glad to hear they aren't doing another year long series. Don't get me wrong, I've bought all three of them, and I love them. But I don't have room to display them!

#290367 - 01/05/16 11:44 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Mark, I hadn't thought about the display issue. I mean, how many monthly ornaments do customers want/need? This may be why the third series didn't sell well.

Lisa

#290387 - 01/06/16 08:25 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Third series probably didn't do as well because it wasn't a licensed series. The Peanuts attracted Peanuts collectors, the Disney attracted Disney collectors. The cupcakes...well... I was expecting them to do Looney Tunes. I think Looney Tunes would have been interesting. Taz as Cupid, Bugs as a Leprechaun, Tweety as the New Year's baby, Wile E. Coyote as a pilgrim (holding a knife and fork with an Acme rocket strapped to his back, anticipating a Road Runner turkey), Elmer Fudd on the beach for August, etc.

If the cupcakes had been like the Christmas Cupcake series and were done in that style with felting, it might have helped. Like someone mentioned when we first saw them, they really didn't look much like real cupcakes. A few did, but most were cupcakes with a huge decoration on them, a decoration you couldn't eat.

The display's kind of cute. I would love to see them recolor it for Christmas Cupcakes' 10th anniversary (assuming it makes it ten years, likely will). Give it a Christmas theme.

#290392 - 01/06/16 09:07 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
I thought I read somewhere that the next year long series will be 12 compliment ornaments to existing series.

Now if I can find out where I read that. Hopefully it wasn't a dream. LOL !!!

#290408 - 01/06/16 10:34 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Faster Offline

Loc: Ontario
Don't take my word as gossip. Only heard it as a rumor not a confirmation. So there could well be a forth one.

#290470 - 01/06/16 10:57 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: grandma lise]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: grandma lise
Mark, I hadn't thought about the display issue. I mean, how many monthly ornaments do customers want/need? This may be why the third series didn't sell well.

Lisa

Especially since the second and third series they did had a display case for the entire series instead of just one a month. My Disney and Cupcake displays take up a lot more room than my Peanuts display.

Luckdragon, if they were to redo the display for the Christmas cupcake series, it would have to be bigger. The Keepsake Cupcakes ornaments are just enough smaller than the Christmas Cupcake ornaments that I don't know if they'd fit.

At least the cupcake year long series has been tied to me reading the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries this year, which has been fun.

#291148 - 01/15/16 09:35 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Vixen Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I'm still hoping and wishing for:

The house from Up...with the colorful balloons attached. Gosh, I would love this ornament!

Also from Up, a Carl and Ellie ornament...Ellie kissing Carl's cheek or sitting in their chairs holding hands...adorable couple ornament!

Carol Burnett as charwoman (cartoon version)

Mrs. Claus, please! A Mrs. Claus vanity piece would be so fun! I created a Mrs. Claus vanity vignette with a few vintage decor pieces and displayed it as part of my Christmas decorations this year. It was fun to pull together.

For North Pole Tree Trimmers: an elf decorating a sugar cookie-wearing an apparatus (as a backpack) with a hose attached spraying sprinkles.

Also, an elf in a bell hanging on to the clapper swinging back and forth as if he is ringing it.

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation: Clark in red robe peering out kitchen window with Mele Kalikimka as sound bite.

I like Moley's attic scene idea too!

#291157 - 01/16/16 01:02 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

I want the house from Up as well. Don't know why no one hasn't done that yet.

#291159 - 01/16/16 06:19 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Absolutely agree about house with balloons from Up! Great suggestion.

#291161 - 01/16/16 08:12 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
sweetdcb Offline

Loc: MN
I am ok with the elimination of a yearly series for the year. I have the Peanuts and the cupcakes. Iím good. The house from UP would be awesome and well received I think. That movie resonated with adults more than kids. It is my husbandís favorite animated movie hands down.

Darcy

#291162 - 01/16/16 08:36 AM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Ugh! I forgot to list Precious Moments ornament wishes, and you guys just inspired me.

Mulan
Russell from Up holding a stuffed Kevin (since the pattern now seems to be a princess and a Pixar character)

The house would be cute. I wish they would do Disney architecture again. I love the light clip Beauty and the Beast Castle and the Cinderella Castle. They could easily do: Sleeping Beauty Castle, Dwarfs' Cottage, Triton's Undersea Castle, Sultan's Palace, House from "Up," Rapunzel's Tower, Elsa's Ice Castle, etc.

The Beauty and the Beast Castle (2002 Castle in the Forest) is particularly detailed with the turrets and windows.

#291184 - 01/16/16 12:23 PM Re: 2016 Hopes/Wishes [Re: luckdragon]
Barbara Harris Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Miami County, Kansas, USA
Wishes for 2016? Nothing in particular. My favorites are usually the non-property ornaments. H* has plenty of artistic talent to spread between licensed and originals. I understand why the property ornaments are so popular - I am buying more and more thanks to my growing nostalgia - but it's the in-house concepts that make me go Ooh! and Ahh!

There are tons of really great ideas in these posts-- bring them, Hallmark!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Moderator