YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
2 registered (digitalDREAMBOOK, SandyT), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26155 Topics
323401 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#298413 - 08/06/16 11:04 PM HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores
magster2 Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Boston area
Went to my local HM gold crown store and was told by the manager that on 8/25 they were closing in order to
become a Paperstore. She said this was happening to several area stores. I don't dislike Paperstores. In fact, I shop there frequently, but I did stop buying my HM ornaments there because I asked about the VIP bag (a couple of years ago) and was told they no longer participated in that promo. I'm a little bummed right now. Also, no "punch" card. I do remember they have some reward system. but I don't remember what it is. Asi es la vida!

#298432 - 08/07/16 07:04 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
Karen W2 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Paradise - San Diego, USA!
That's better than what's happening to the only corporate store still left in our area - they're closing 8-28-16!!!

I was talking to the manager tonite, to find out what was happening to their Keepsake orns, since there are several big signs all over, letting people know they are NOT ON SALE, as opposed to what's left on the shelves, which wasn't much of anything, at least nothing we wanted.

She said in a couple of days, they're shipping them all out to another corporate store, NOT in our area. We told her we were sorry they were closing and she said obviously, they all were sad too!

That now means the closest Hallmark is 25-30 minutes each way away from us! So this means I won't be making brief stops, to see what's new, to pick up a card or whatever. I'll have to try to guess when I'll need a card and buy it from my local club's meeting store once a month.

It was already pretty tragic when we lost our only Disney Store in our area, which was only a couple of stores away from the Hallmark that's closing, but now them too! frown

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?!"

#298443 - 08/07/16 08:22 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
dragon Offline
Elf VP

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: magster2
I don't dislike Paperstores. In fact, I shop there frequently, but I did stop buying my HM ornaments there because I asked about the VIP bag (a couple of years ago) and was told they no longer participated in that promo.

I don't have any Paper Stores close enough now to just pop into but I lived in N. Billerica for a couple of years and there was one right down the street. My first Christmas living there I went in to see if I could finagle a VIP bag even though I was new to town. What I found was they had the bags, but broke them up and were selling the component parts separately. I don't know if they gave some whole bags out and just broke some up some leftovers but the following year I never saw any evidence of them at all.

Karen

#298451 - 08/07/16 10:10 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: dragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Lots of people have to travel 30+ minutes to a Hallmark store. One way. Nothing new to many.

As for Disney store, we lost ours over 10 years ago. Nashville lost theirs. Birmingham lost theirs. Not even sure Atlanta still has one but I'm not traveling 225 miles & Atlanta traffic even IF they still have one. Thank heavens for disneystore.com.

As for other online shopping, we're now pushing close to or past 100 orders per year for Amazon. Add in a few other favorite retailers like Macy's, Kohl's, Belk and several others for another several dozen orders and that pretty much leaves only food to buy and shop for in person.

#298452 - 08/07/16 10:55 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: Qwackertoo]
DeniseC Online   content
Elf VP

Loc: Sequim, Washington
My nearest Hallmark is 50+miles one way. I can't just pop in anymore. The only good thing is I am spending less money.

DeniseC

#298453 - 08/07/16 11:39 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
StaceyN Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Idaho

Is a Paperstore Hallmark owned?

#298466 - 08/07/16 02:40 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I've never heard of Paperstore...

#298469 - 08/07/16 03:08 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
seanart Offline

Loc: Manchester, Connecticut
Our two corporate stores, within a 15 minute drive to either one, are closing at 6pm Monday for two weeks to switch over to become The Paperstore. It's a new name for Hallmark- rebranding their image. It will still be a Hallmark-but adding more lines of jewelry, clothing and gift lines- dressing rooms also.
I was assured they will still carry the regular line of ornaments.

#298474 - 08/07/16 04:36 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: seanart]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
Originally Posted By: seanart
It's a new name for Hallmark- rebranding their image. It will still be a Hallmark-but adding more lines of jewelry, clothing and gift lines- dressing rooms also.

The name suggests they sell paper goods (writing paper, notes etc) ONLY! Poor choice of a name if they're selling clothes, jewelry and ornaments.

#298475 - 08/07/16 04:40 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
Qui-gon Grin Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
What actually are Paperstores? A Hallmark store near me, not the one that I frequent, but that I did patronize on occasion, late last year switched' from being X's Hallmark to being a Paperstore. I haven't noticed any difference in the store or its merchandise.

#298484 - 08/07/16 05:32 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: seanart]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: seanart
The Paperstore. It's a new name for Hallmark- rebranding their image. It will still be a Hallmark-but adding more lines of jewelry, clothing and gift lines- dressing rooms also.

Oh. Weird.

#298500 - 08/07/16 07:38 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: luckdragon
Oh. Weird.

That's exactly what I thought !!!

#298525 - 08/07/16 09:32 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
magster2 Offline

I just did a little investigating. Paperstores are based in New England, began in MA and originally sold paper products. They still do but have added hundreds of other things -- HM, Vera Bradley, jewelry, books, Yankee Candle and, yes, clothing. It's a fun place to shop and they have nothing to do with HM. At least, that's what Linked In said about them. They are a family business.

#298532 - 08/07/16 10:34 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: magster2
Went to my local HM gold crown store and was told by the manager that on 8/25 they were closing in order to become a Paperstore. She said this was happening to several area stores.

Was this an independent store or corporate? There are two stores that I know of, one in my hometown and one in another KC suburb, that were contacted by Hallmark to become Gold Crown stores last year. I haven't been in the one closest to my house, but the one in my hometown has a very limited Hallmark selection of any Hallmark product. My mom had a hard time finding cards suitable for some occasions there, and I'm not talking about anything as specific as "congratulations on getting your Ph.D." This store is not open evenings and not at all on Sunday. They have a lot of nice Vera Bradley and decorative items but I wouldn't suggest anyone who wants to find a certain Hallmark product even drive there to look for it unless it was a specific ornament since they haven't done a good job of making the general public aware that they even sell Hallmark ornaments.

Even though this store is in my hometown and my mom prefers to shop locally she drives the 35 minutes to our local club sponsor's store to do most of her Hallmark shopping.

#298558 - 08/08/16 10:02 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: StaceyN]
dragon Offline
Elf VP

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: StaceyN

Is a Paperstore Hallmark owned?

According to their website:

"The Paper Store is the largest family owned and operated chain of Specialty Gift Stores in New England; and these are not your average gift and card stores!"

Originally Posted By: debbieg
The name suggests they sell paper goods (writing paper, notes etc) ONLY! Poor choice of a name if they're selling clothes, jewelry and ornaments.

Again, according to their website:

"The “Paper” Store? You may be surprised. If you do not know us, our stores, and our products… you would probably expect to see a store full of paper products, right? Well, that may be how we started, but today’s selection of merchandise will probably amaze you! The Paper Store brings you many top jewelry, gift, and greeting card brands; including Alex and Ani, Vera Bradley, Chamilia, Baggallini, Life is Good, Cranes, Hallmark, Crayola, William Arthur, Mariposa, Robeez and so many other marvelous brands! Each and every time you walk into one of our stores, you will find something new that you simply MUST have… go ahead… you deserve it!"

Karen

#298563 - 08/08/16 10:47 AM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Hmm... We had a real paper store here, and I loved it. They had everything we needed for correspondence, creating marketing and promotional materials, and making invitations for events. They had huge paper sample books so I could custom order anything I needed.

Now I have to buy paper and cardstock online. From a design standpoint, it's difficult because I can't hold a piece of cardstock or paper and roam the aisles to find the right combination of materials needed. The local Office Max and Office Depot are too expensive, the selection poor.

As I'm thinking about this, because Hallmark stores are located in malls and shopping centers, they too would be too expensive for staple items such as reams of paper.

Paper stores need to be in areas that accommodate warehouses.

It sounds like Hallmark is trying to draw in the younger generations: "We're not where your mother used to shop." Hope it works.

#298579 - 08/08/16 03:07 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Ever heard of the Christmas Tree Shops? Kind of disappointed that it wasn't a Christmas store. They do sell Christmas stuff around Christmastime though.

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/

#298580 - 08/08/16 03:36 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: luckdragon]
lapetitebaker Offline
YuleLoggers Club Secretary

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: luckdragon
Ever heard of the Christmas Tree Shops? Kind of disappointed that it wasn't a Christmas store. They do sell Christmas stuff around Christmastime though.

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/

Great place to get cheap Christmas decorations during the season. Not the highest quality but they have plenty of variety for a low price. smile

#298586 - 08/08/16 08:27 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: magster2]
Collectorjoy
Unregistered

I'm sorry, if I want clothes, I'll go to a clothing store or a department store. There I can get clothes and jewelry, I don't go to a Hallmark store for that type of item.

I'll go to Hallmark for cards, note cards, wrapping paper or my Ornaments. Why do they have to go into all this other stuff if they're a card-gift store?

Joyce

#298592 - 08/08/16 09:12 PM Re: HM gold crowns becoming Paperstores [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
magster2 Offline

This was a Corporate gold crown store. My other concern (disappointment) is that this HM store had ornaments from other stores (in addition to their own) for the after Christmas sales that lasted well into January. Paperstores go to 50% off on 12/26 and then are gone within 2 weeks. Diana

Paperstores are NOT Hallmark stores! Hallmark is simply selling some of their stores to the Paperstore company. They are different entities. It's not like Old Navy and Gap being part of the same company.
For example, HM gift cards cannot be used at Paperstores, and Paperstore giftcards cannot be used at HM stores.

Edited by magster2 (08/08/16 09:22 PM)
Edit Reason: more info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator