YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (bobbie7), 29 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1529 Members
15 Forums
26131 Topics
322966 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#298783 - 08/15/16 03:24 AM Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series!
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Be still my heart! Even better than last year! Three Little Pigs! FINALLY! laugh

https://www.disneystore.com/mn/1025033/

So excited to see "Fun and Fancy Free," "Melody Time," and "Make Mine Music" all represented!

Mickey and the Beanstalk is first, and it's pretty darn awesome!

Johnny Appleseed, I can't even! I love that short in "Melody Time!" I just wish Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet had been chosen for "Make Mine Music," but I'll take a better Peter and the Wolf and a better Casey at Bat (I have them and Johnny Fedora/Alice Bluebonnet on a 1995 Disney ball ornament that features characters from "Make Mine Music").

Look at Mary Poppins! I get how this series won't appeal to many since it's utilizing more obscure Disney characters/shorts/movies many people haven't seen. It'll be interesting to see how these sell. Seems buyers got really bored with the Mark Henn series. They all lingered for a while. Two of them are still available. I really hope the Disney Store learned their lesson last year with the Dopey/Sneezy fiasco and won't ship them to outlet stores by mistake this year. Especially since Mary Poppins is the January release (making it release the same month Dopey/Sneezy released). Mary Poppins and Snow White have the potential to sell out the fastest, so that'll be a huge upset if they screw up this year.

Now, I have to prepare myself for work. wink

#298784 - 08/15/16 03:28 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
Marilyn K Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Just ordered my set. Love the matching pin.

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." --Charles Dickens

#298785 - 08/15/16 03:33 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: Marilyn K]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Marilyn K
Just ordered my set. Love the matching pin.

The pins are really cute, but I can't get sucked into another collection.

The pins have a limited release of 1100, while the ornaments are still 1000.

I ordered the ornament as well as the Belle ornament in the blue dress that says "limited release." They actually gave the production number this year for the variant at 3000, and I have to have it.

Bummed that Art of Belle doesn't have an ornament set yet. I was hoping it would since Art of Jasmine came out this time last year.

#298792 - 08/15/16 07:36 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
oddsbodkins Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Did these all sell out already or maybe removed? I only see Mickey's ears when I click the link.

EDIT: please disregard. For some reason this looks totally different on my mobile phone than on the desktop!

#298793 - 08/15/16 09:16 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Nice to see mostly different Disney characters. My favorite might be the first one.

#298797 - 08/15/16 09:38 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
tiggerfan Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Texas
I ordered Mickey - he really looks great! I guess I will be getting a new series if they are all this cute. I ordered the variant Belle as well, but am hoping for a sale before ordering other sketchbook ornaments. At $16.95 each, that is much more expensive than last years.

Angela

#298806 - 08/15/16 10:53 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: tiggerfan]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Got mine ordered~! Not getting the pins.

An expensive year for sure.

#298814 - 08/15/16 01:37 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: JerseyVike]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike
Nice to see mostly different Disney characters. My favorite might be the first one.

I keep going back and forth between Mickey and the Beanstalk, Three Little Pigs, and The Ugly Duckling...

Hmm...

They look so much more detailed than the last monthly series. Just look at Peter! I would have thought they'd do a simple Peter holding his cork gun, but he's actually walking through the gate and everything.

It's so weird. I didn't get to do a "hopes/wishes" thread since DDCakes found that great info on the Sketchbook line, but two on my wish list were the Three Little Pigs and Peter and the Wolf. I'm actually surprised it took this long to get a Three Little Pigs ornament.

#298819 - 08/15/16 03:41 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

I think maybe because they are all designs by Steve Thompson? I saw him post today about new items he had designed being available today. I definitely liked the Magical Moments series, I believe he did all of those, better overall than the Art of Disney series by the various artists.

I think he also did the limited edition figurine of Belle & The Beast, the sketch mug, and the blue dress of Belle on the framed lithograph. I'm tempted but 199.00 is steep.

#298822 - 08/15/16 03:51 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
oddsbodkins Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Casey at the bat is just too awesome!

#298840 - 08/15/16 09:14 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I was going to check in this morning, but then I forgot. Checked in at lunch time on my phone, but I couldn't get to the Disney Store site to see anything, and my work computer doesn't play well with the site.

Finally got in and saw the awesomeness!!!

Although boy does Disney have my number. I collect pins and have for years. Longer than I've collected ornaments. Guess who bought both the pin and the ornament. But on the bright side, it just means less I need to buy for free shipping, right?

As a big Bill Peet fan, I'm looking forward to Lambert, based on an original Bill Peet story he turned into a Disney short while he was working at the studio.

Mary Poppins and Snow White don't seem to fit thematically with the rest of the series since they are so well known. Not that I'm complaining since I love both of the movies. Just observing.

I was hoping Disney wouldn't do a year long series since I don't have the space for them, but I just love these too much to even think about not getting them.

#298850 - 08/16/16 12:57 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: carstairs38]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Originally Posted By: carstairs38
Mary Poppins and Snow White don't seem to fit thematically with the rest of the series since they are so well known. Not that I'm complaining since I love both of the movies. Just observing.
I agree. Had the same thought. Although I LOVE the Mary Poppins and can't wait to get it. Snow White I may pass on. Didn't Hallmark do a similar design? Or was it already a sketchbook ornament?

I was hoping Disney wouldn't do a year long series since I don't have the space for them, but I just love these too much to even think about not getting them.
Me, too. I was outright relieved when I saw they were doing a Mickey Ears ornament promo and thought that was the replacement. Whew, can skip a year. But then, no, this series shows up and is chock full of wonderfulness.

#298886 - 08/16/16 03:29 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: Diana*]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Diana*
Me, too. I was outright relieved when I saw they were doing a Mickey Ears ornament promo and thought that was the replacement. Whew, can skip a year. But then, no, this series shows up and is chock full of wonderfulness.

Part of me was kind of hoping it was going to be the ear hats since I don't mind avoiding them. Some are okay, but most are just too abstract for my tastes. Same with the shoes. Very easy to avoid these for me. If it was a series of ornaments like the Pooh ornament from Art of Disney Animation, I'd happily save my money too. Or if it was just stuff you constantly see (a whole series of say Mickey or Minnie), I could just pick and choose what I wanted. This though, this one's got me.

The Snow White ornament is kind of like one Hallmark did:
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2007-Wishes-Really-Do-Come-True-_p_13183.html
And while this is my favorite Hallmark sculpt for Snow White, I like the fact that the Disney Store one is actually from the movie. She's in her peasant clothes, and I've never seen any Snow White ornament where she wasn't in her classic outfit. She also seems to be singing. And the well looks more like the well in the movie.

When did the value of that Snow White ornament shoot up? I obviously haven't been checking values lately...

I think they're mostly just calling them "storybook" to tie in with the book-like pins. And, I'm very happy with this series. Many of them are folklore or fairy tales. Casey's technically a poem. I'm surprised they didn't choose Dumbo since that was a children's book (some kind of roto-book or something like that...). Little Toot should have had an ornament! That was a children's storybook too. Man, "Melody Time" and "Make Mine Music" are just full of cute little shorts. They could have just made the series based on this. Or just do a Silly Symphony series. Flowers and Trees is my favorite from the first series, and it seems like I'm favoring the Silly Symphony ornaments here too. I watched "The Ugly Duckling" this morning before work just to double check the scene. Made me tear up. Mostly what I remembered as a kid was when he tried to warm up to the duck decoy thing.

Snow White's also had an ornament in each series. And all have been great.

Glad to hear from Mark and Diana! I was hoping you guys would post soon as well as Kevin.

I can't find the pin or ornament on the UK site, but they already have their release date up for the Pecos Bill. So, they must have it. The UK site is so frustrating to navigate and search for stuff on. I hope the US site never changes to be like that one.

#298894 - 08/16/16 06:52 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: luckdragon
Glad to hear from Mark and Diana! I was hoping you guys would post soon as well as Kevin.
I was busy most of the day but caught this in the evening and got my order in. Was lucky that I figured out how to change a billing address and/or remove credit card info without customer service since they were already gone for the day. I was getting nervous about that and thinking if they were east coast time I was going to miss out on the promo.

I emailed Kevin and PMed him on Facebook yesterday, but he replied he's not going to do the monthly ornaments this year.

#298917 - 08/17/16 12:20 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Whoa! I just caught something! Casey at Bat must be a replacement for Ferdinand the Bull! Look at the picture of Mickey and the Beanstalk, just beside Mickey's hand:

http://i64.tinypic.com/zyao8j.jpg

I've circled it in the image. That's Ferdinand the Bull. Looking at the other images around Mickey, there are 12 sketches, and the only sketch missing is Casey at Bat.

Now, I want a Ferdinand the Bull ornament. frown

I'm happy with Casey, sure, but I hope they put Ferdinand into production eventually. Maybe as a regular Sketchbook ornament.

#298918 - 08/17/16 12:53 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Awwwww that was My Mother's favorite story when she was a little girl. I bought it and read to my kids too. Steven especially liked it. I would have LOVED a Ferdinand The Bull ornament.

#298920 - 08/17/16 08:16 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Nice catch Amanda !!!

That would have been a great ornament !!!

#298923 - 08/17/16 09:40 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: JerseyVike]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike
Nice catch Amanda !!!

That would have been a great ornament !!!

I bet both Steve Thompson AND Disney would be impressed by your "catch". I know I am.

#298924 - 08/17/16 09:50 PM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
Wow, that's impressive! Great catch.

#298931 - 08/18/16 01:37 AM Re: Disney Storybook Classics Monthly Ornament/Pin series! [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Eagle eyes! Although now I'm a little bummed as I would have loved Ferdinand. I wonder why the switch?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Moderator