YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
YuleLog Links
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
5521 Members
14 Forums
24310 Topics
298014 Posts

Max Online: 166 @ 11/18/12 08:16 AM
Google Ads
Local Hallmark Store

Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#303187 - 01/05/17 12:39 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Vixen Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Chicago, IL
What a detailed survey! Fun!

#303191 - 01/05/17 07:19 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Claudia Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southlake,Texas USA

Luckdragon, thanks for setting up the polls.
I'm looking forward to seeing the results, and how my selections ranked.

#303262 - 01/07/17 03:33 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Voted! It was easier than I thought it would be, but it helped to list my choice for each category first. I think I changed my mind on two to four categories doing this. Can hardly wait for the results!

Lisa

#303338 - 01/07/17 09:32 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
dragon Offline
Elf VP

Loc: MA
Great survey luckdragon!
Due to losing local stores I hadn't had a chance to see a lot of the ornaments in person. Looking each one up before voting gave me a chance to look a bit more closely, there are a couple that I'm going to have to go searching for now!
Karen

#303490 - 01/10/17 05:29 AM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I wish the polls would tell the viewer what they voted for. I *think* the ones that force you to vote before you can view the results tell you. I can't remember my answer for each, but I'll know to write it down next time.

Every ornament on the poll got at least one vote except for one ornament. So, that is kind of cool.

Happiest result for me was seeing We Three Kings take the religious poll! I love that ornament! Favorite ornaments of the entire year for me were: We Three Kings, Festive Flyer, What's Opera, Doc?, and Father Christmas #13. Father Christmas and his limited reindeer winning their polls was a happy surprise to me too. It's my favorite series, so it's nice to see that.

Any surprises for anyone out there? To me, the biggest surprise was the Magic Cord winner. I figured one of the Frosty Friends pieces or Once Upon a Christmas would win. But, then again, nearly all of them were within a point of each other. I was also surprised Playground Pals placed third in its poll and was surprised by the winner. In that one, I feel like I voted for Weiner Wonderland... I like how it reminds me of an illustration from something like the Eloise books. Even though Eloise's dog is a Pug (named Weenie, so that just helps the Weiner Wonderland ornament get associated to those books for me).

#303504 - 01/10/17 10:52 AM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
Interesting results. Wow, one category (Best Continuing Series) had 74 votes! I liked when there were landslides in a category (Best Halloween, Best Santa), or two that were in the lead neck and neck (Best Snowman). Thanks for organizing this poll and putting all the work into it, Luckdragon.

I was actually a little ticked about the Best Family ornament winner (not that it won, at the ornament itself). I would have bought that ornament if it only said "Baking Memories" and didn't have "Daughter" on it. The apron with cooking utensils is cute, but I don't have a daughter, so that prevented adding the ornament to my collection. I'm hoping it'll make it's way into either a VIP bag or some other repeat that is more generic without the daughter reference.

#303505 - 01/10/17 12:42 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: Diana*]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Rocket City, U.S.A.
Diana, yep that has stopped me from buying ornaments before but sometimes it hasn't. Like 1988, my Mother didn't buy Hallmark ornaments and IF I wanted it, it was up to me to buy it so I bought myself the 1988 Gingerbread Daughter ornament. I love that ornament. And years later I added the 1988 Son from the secondary market to make a pair . . . even though I had no daughter or son in 1988 and wasn't even married at the time either.

You never know, one of these years down the road you might have a daughter-in-law that you think of and love just like a daughter. I don't even know IF it has a year on it as I didn't buy it.

Or maybe not. Just sayin' in case you decide to add it later or maybe they will eventually one day re-offer it without the daughter reference.

#303506 - 01/10/17 12:46 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

I enjoyed voting and now seeing the results. I didn't vote in every category.

I will admit . . . and given how much I have reduced my buying . . . and I didn't even vote for it . . . That I DID buy the only ornament, for Steven's collection, that did NOT receive a single vote. haha What were the odds of that happening? He has a nice group of the Super Hero ornaments, although I don't usually buy repeats of characters, and added the Captain America to his collection this year.

edited: OOOPS messed up. Yes I did buy Captain America but it received votes. I did buy Chicago Blackhawks Hockey ornament, Jonathan Toews but they also made him in 2015, I do believe, which I also bought . . . both for Steven's collection. This 2016 Chicago Blackhawks ornament was the one that received ZERO votes. My bad. I have a terrible cold and blame Dayquil and Nyquil for my erroneous earlier post. Trying to add a few hockey ornaments since I only have a few for Steven, since he has really become quite a hockey fan in the last ten years. And we did go, Steve, Steven & I, to one of the Road to the Stanley Cup playoff games between Nashville Predators and the Chicago Blackhawks so I bought them both years albeit different uniform colors.

Thanks again, luckdragon, for the poll and effort that went into it tabulating the nominees and creating all the polls. I'll try to venture into Hallmark for 2017 with a 2017 poll in mind . . . since I had so few visits to a store in 2016 which limited my participation in voting for many of the categories.

Edited by Qwackertoo (01/10/17 01:19 PM)

#303509 - 01/10/17 02:30 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
This was a lot of fun!

Glad to see the newer Mary's Bears made it into the poll for Best Piece for Continuing Series in its second year. Love, love this year's Christmas Window ornament, but had voted for Festive Flyer because it was so unique. Voting on magic ornaments was close. Clearly we love our magic ornaments. Nice to see a tie between the Death Star tree topper and Where Dreams Become Toys tabletop display. Autumn Blessings is such a great ornament. Perhaps it would have fared better if it was in a "Autumn" ornament category. Wondering now if we'll see more Autumn themed ornaments this year. I hope!

Diana, as a mother of three boys, ditto your comment on the Mother and Daughter Apron ornament. I wanted it too!

Lisa

#303510 - 01/10/17 04:43 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: grandma lise]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: Qwackertoo
Diana, yep that has stopped me from buying ornaments before but sometimes it hasn't... I bought myself the 1988 Gingerbread Daughter ornament. I love that ornament. And years later I added the 1988 Son from the secondary market to make a pair . . . even though I had no daughter or son in 1988 and wasn't even married at the time either.

Yeah, I've bought quite a few with a label on them that aren't appropriate, but it's usually when I can either remove the paint or cover it up somehow. I looked at the Baking Memories though and it's imprinted on the fabric and I didn't see a way of altering the Daughter on it. Pooh.

maybe they will eventually one day re-offer it without the daughter reference.

Originally Posted By: grandma lise
Diana, as a mother of three boys, ditto your comment on the Mother and Daughter Apron ornament. I wanted it too!

Lisa, we're going to have to put a bug in Hallmark's ear to reissue this ornament without the family label on it. I do think it would make a great remake for a VIP bag or at an event. Should be fairly simple/easy for them to do.

#303511 - 01/10/17 04:54 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

They really don't seem to do many mother/son ornaments. Even the jersey ornaments this year. Everything but mother/son. Boys and men do collect Keepsakes and would like more representation in the family category. They also bake.

If there is a mother/son duo who love to bake together, at least Making Memories #9 represented that. I love that series so much! It represents so many relationships and is gender-free.

Personally, I think 2008 had the best idea for these type of ornaments. They did three animal pairings that could have been any gender (okay, except the bear one). There was a pair of elephants with the parent elephant playing airplane with the child elephant and a monkey bathing a child monkey. The bear one was called Dancing with Dad and was clearly a father bear dancing with a daughter bear. Tammy Haddix did them, and my mom has the monkey one called Tub Time since she loved it in the Dream Book. Is it a coincidence the mom of two sons does the gender neutral family ornaments (since she does the Making Memories series)? I think not.

Looking at the new series poll made me realize that I bought all of those first in series except the angels. Which I probably would have purchased if I had found one after Christmas. I am definitely buying the second in series for that one. I just got Inside Story today in the mail from buying it from an online seller. Beautiful Birdhouse, I picked up last Wednesday when I went back to the Hallmark I went to after Christmas and saw the last one for half price. I hate that the perch for the bird is so short, and the ornament's a bit big for my taste. I'm not too crazy about the second, so this will probably be a series I dabble in. Inside Story #1 is nice. I like the second one's sketch better. Definitely sticking with Tea Time and Petite Penguins. I think I voted for Petite Penguins though.

#303513 - 01/10/17 05:43 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Moley Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Arkansas
That was a lot of fun to see the results. I so enjoyed this. Thanks so much, luckdragon for the time you put in this.

#303514 - 01/10/17 06:29 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: Moley]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Add me to the list for which this set of polls has caused me to purchase on eBay and/or seek an ornament after the holidays~!!!

I had kinda ignored the KOC Windows series the last year or two or maybe even three.

Woopsie~! After seeing some comments on this thread I went to take a look at the Dance Shop. After 15 years of dance with tap, jazz, pointe, ballet, acro, hip hop classes several days a week . . . I had to buy this one on eBay.

How ever did I miss this one? Guess I just wasn't paying attention this year. ooops.

And I always bought this KOC Member Series in "duplicate" with a future display in mind . . . now I have to go back and look at a few years worth on eBay and see what else I may have missed for this series. I think the last one I remember not buying might be the Bike Shop???

Yulelog/Yuleloggers can still enable me after all these years~!!!! blush

#303519 - 01/10/17 07:21 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: Qwackertoo]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I think the last one I remember not buying might be the Bike Shop???

Yulelog/Yuleloggers can still enable me after all these years~!!!! blush

Ooh...you've missed two of my favorites then if the sporting goods store was the last one you remember passing on. I love the Craft store and the Music store:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-Keepsak...4-/302171024639
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hallmark-Club-Se...B-/361834764464
I chose those ebay auctions since they show all sides. I like that the music store gives a nod to the 2012 ornament Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. The craft store is just very detailed and pretty.

The bookstore is still my favorite of all. And the train shop is my favorite for the boy ones. I'm not a huge fan of the dance shop. It's cute, but it was a missed opportunity to tie Christmas in there. All they had to do was add a notice in the window about a local production of the Nutcracker ballet.

Still waiting on a jewelry store and a florist. A florist with poinsettias and evergreen wreaths would be lovely.

#303520 - 01/10/17 07:32 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

luckdragon, uh oh. Especially on the music store. Both kids, each 3-4 instruments. I pretty much had my own music store here with all the various saxophones, clarinets, mellophones, etc. and all the flip charts, reeds, pad replacement kits . . . I still have stuff around here I need to gather up and donate to the high school as far as "supplies" go.

Will have to check out the Craft store too. So many crafts over the years. Between my Mother, sister and myself . . . we all probably had enough "stash" to open a small craft store, not a Hobby Lobby mind you, but a pretty big stash between us all.

Off to look on eBay~!!!! I guess my only excuse is that I've just "checked out" on the KOC products these days. oops.

Thanks!!! I really mean that~!!!!

#303521 - 01/10/17 07:42 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

luckdragon, yes they missed a Nutcracker Ballet opportunity tie in. Loved going all the years in the past with daughter.

Sarah and her Dad, and the rest of the family that went on the trip, had the wonderful experience of going to the Nutcracker Ballet in Vienna Austria December of 2015.

So yep, they missed a Christmas tie-in on the Nutcracker Ballet. Still waiting on a decent series or group of ornaments for this one of these years from Hallmark.

Never saw a new piece at Hobby Lobby this year for the Kurt Adler pieces we've both been collecting but then I didn't venture in there but once or twice during the season. A Franz would be a nice addition.

#303526 - 01/10/17 11:15 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
The Dance Shop is my least favorite in the Christmas Window series. This is no tie in to Christmas at all!!!

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.

I had a lot of fun scrolling through the results. I wasn't surprised by most of the results, but I was surprised by how close many of the polls were. Wow!

Thanks again for all the hard work, Luckdragon.

#303533 - 01/11/17 12:09 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

About the Dance Shop Christmas Windows: Should be fairly simple to make and print a little Nutcracker Ballet poster to put in the window. You could even customize it with a version you attended. Maybe add a couple of the Nutcracker Ballet mini ornaments Hallmark did awhile ago to the store display?

#303565 - 01/12/17 11:54 AM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: Diana*]
Qwackertoo Offline
Santa's Helper

Diana, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks~!

#303589 - 01/12/17 11:38 PM Re: Best of 2016 Keepsake Ornaments - Voting time! [Re: luckdragon]
Qui-gon Grin Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
WHAT! I DO NOT EXCEPT THESE VOTES! NOTHING I VOTED FOR WON! I DEMAND A RECOUNT.
THERE IS ONLY ONE EXPLANATION FOR THESE OUTCOMES .... RUSSIA!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Moderator