YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
YuleLog Links
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 55 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
5530 Members
15 Forums
24464 Topics
300163 Posts

Max Online: 166 @ 11/18/12 08:16 AM
Google Ads
Local Hallmark Store

Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#307185 - 04/20/17 04:14 PM No Gold Crown designation in dream book
Hallmark-Vicki Offline
Elf

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that the dreambook doesn't have GC symbol after the ornament price, which signifies that this ornament is offered exclusively at Hallmark Gold Crown stores. I have always found this helpful in my shopping for hallmark ornaments. It only mentions in the front of the dreambook that some ornaments are available only at participating stores.

#307189 - 04/20/17 04:40 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
KATIE ANN Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ST. ALBANS, WV, US
I noticed that too. It makes me wonder if more are going to be available at stores like Kohls

#307190 - 04/20/17 05:13 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
aloha Online   content
Elf Manager

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments on Facebook posted this answer about Gold Crown ornaments in the "Visitor Posts" area (but now the post is deleted...isn't this strange...??):

"There are no Gold Crown exclusive Keepsake Ornaments in 2017. Thank you for your question!"

#307191 - 04/20/17 06:00 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
Mmm I wonder if they are ending the Gold Crown status. With independents dropping like flies, it might be.

#307192 - 04/20/17 06:33 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I doubt Kohl's or anyone else would carry the full line of ornaments. They'll probably stick to the family ornaments, property ornaments, and maybe a few series ornaments.

#307194 - 04/20/17 08:08 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: luckdragon]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: luckdragon
I doubt Kohl's or anyone else would carry the full line of ornaments. They'll probably stick to the family ornaments, property ornaments, and maybe a few series ornaments.

I've noticed that Kohl's doesn't have the magic cord ornaments and porcelain ornaments. They do usually have the family and a few of the series and/or property ornaments. I suspect Hallmark may be looking to get rid of selling ornaments at Kohl's since they discount before Christmas and this is a step in that direction. I guess we'll see.

#307195 - 04/20/17 08:34 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Funny...I view it as a way they can expand lines into other stores. Like, okay some stores that are smaller rent space in larger stores to produce more revenue. Sort of a shop within a shop, if you will. Usually the "host" store makes no money from the renter's merchandise. The "host" store makes money from renting the space, and hopefully for people shopping in that area to buy from other areas in the store.

It's entirely possible that Hallmark could one day rent space seasonally in Kohl's to sell Keepsake ornaments. Heck, they could rent it year-round and just do the everyday Keepsakes and popular products like itty bittys. Area would be maintained by Hallmark vendors (much like how the vendors maintain the Hallmark greeting card section in say Wal-Mart - that section is not maintained by Wal-Mart workers, folks). Or they could provide training and pay for a seasonal position or two to maintain the ornaments.

#307196 - 04/20/17 08:56 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: luckdragon]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Funny...I view it as a way they can expand lines into other stores. Like, okay some stores that are smaller rent space in larger stores to produce more revenue. Sort of a shop within a shop, if you will. Usually the "host" store makes no money from the renter's merchandise. The "host" store makes money from renting the space, and hopefully for people shopping in that area to buy from other areas in the store.

It's entirely possible that Hallmark could one day rent space seasonally in Kohl's to sell Keepsake ornaments. Heck, they could rent it year-round and just do the everyday Keepsakes and popular products like itty bittys. Area would be maintained by Hallmark vendors (much like how the vendors maintain the Hallmark greeting card section in say Wal-Mart - that section is not maintained by Wal-Mart workers, folks). Or they could provide training and pay for a seasonal position or two to maintain the ornaments.
\

Kohls has already started with this with other companies. Macys already does it as does Nordstroms and a few others.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/23/kohl-stores-results/

#307198 - 04/20/17 09:09 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Yep. Lands End is in a lot of Sears stores (not sure why since Sears is kind of failing). Usually you see clothing brands do this, but you'll sometimes see restaurants do this (McDonald's inside of Wal-Marts is a great example since Wal-Mart gets money from McDonald's renting the space but gets no money from the number of Big Macs sold). But, American Girl and Claire's rent spaces in Toys R Us stores, so there are some exceptions to the rule.

It's a really smart business move on Hallmark's part for their corporation, but a bad move for their brick and mortar stores. Again, this may not happen at all. It could just be they decided to do away with the Gold Crown exclusives branding.

#307201 - 04/20/17 09:39 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Sears actually owns Lands End.

There are many way to do it. I didn't reread the article but somewhere I read Kohls was talking about putting actual stores within stores. Having the small stores fully staffed with employees of those stores like you see fast foods doing in Walmart and gas stations.

#307205 - 04/21/17 08:49 AM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: luckdragon]
Bea625 Offline
Elf

Loc: Holland, PA

I usually buy a lot of mine from Kohl's since they run 20-30% off sales a few times a month. It makes a huge difference financially. The last few years they have carried:

Frosty the Snowman
Rudolph ornament
Most family oriented ornament
The Nightmare Before Christmas
2 NFL ornaments
2-3 Star Wars ornaments
4-5 Disney
A Christmas story
Christmas Vacation
Select super hero ornaments (Marvel)
Beer Stein
3-4 Peanuts ornaments
Harley motorcycles
and more

#307223 - 04/21/17 09:44 PM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: luckdragon]
AshleyC Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Yep. Lands End is in a lot of Sears stores (not sure why since Sears is kind of failing).

Land's End is owned by Sears Holding.

#307419 - 04/30/17 07:51 AM Re: No Gold Crown designation in dream book [Re: Hallmark-Vicki]
MeowRalphMeow Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Wisconsin
I tend to forget about Kohl's having ornaments. Which is really odd since we have so many of them around here because this is where they started. I used to check on ornaments there more often when they also carried the Carlton ornaments. Not that I was a big fan of Carlton ornaments but I did always pick up the Godzilla ornaments and maybe one other. I'll have to make an effort to check on them again. I drive right by two of the stores everyday!

Moderator:  Moderator