YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
YuleLog Links
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
1 registered (MarkyMark), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5558 Members
15 Forums
24830 Topics
305875 Posts

Max Online: 194 @ 07/01/17 06:03 PM
Hooked On Ornaments

Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#314485 - 11/13/17 03:00 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Nancy, Marc posted the digital version of the November issue of Collectively Speaking. It's the same as the printed copy. After re-reading what's posted in Collectively Speaking it really does seem like each online club will only receive one ornament which will be for the club President... frown

#314486 - 11/13/17 05:26 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
I hadn't read Collectively Speaking until today to see the remarks about one ornament for the online clubs.

If I belonged to an online club only, since one was not available to me locally, I'd be sending an EMail to Anita Winter to express my dissatisfaction. I recently attended a focus group session with her (and I would suspect this edition of Collectively Speaking had been approved by all the people who have to approve it before it can be released) where we discussed the importance of communication. I specifically identified the gift of one 40 year pin for those who had KOC membership numbers on the roster fiasco.

#314487 - 11/13/17 06:00 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
beaglebabes Offline
Elf VP

Loc: WI
I saw that also about one for the President. But we are a club sponsored by a store so I have to believe we will all get the the ornament.

Edited by beaglebabes (11/13/17 06:04 PM)

#314489 - 11/13/17 07:36 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
Moley Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Arkansas
I have never lived close enough to an active club and I have also not joined an online club although I was considering doing so. Does Hallmark frown on the online clubs? I wondered when I saw this discussion if there are a lot of duplication of memberships with many members belonging to several online clubs. I am puzzled by this difference in treatment otherwise. A lot of people who can't drive or live in remote areas are going to be disappointed with this.

These ornaments do end up on Ebay eventually and usually at pretty reasonable prices, so for those folks who are missing out, I hope you can snag one at a good price.

#314490 - 11/13/17 07:58 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: Moley]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
Moley, when I joined the Yuleloggers Club and the COOLClub, I did not have a club near me and was thrilled to find the on-line clubs. We have since formed a local club, but it's a 40 mile drive away. I also still enjoy all the information that the on-line club members find out and share. So, I still belong to Yuleloggers, COOL, my Color Me Christmas Club, and now Digital Dreambook. Not ready to give up any of them.

Linda

#314495 - 11/13/17 09:14 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
Moley Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Arkansas
Linda, I totally agree with you. Those have to be really cool groups to belong to.

#314497 - 11/13/17 09:48 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
susan in florida Offline
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
Hallmark does have their own ON LINE discussion board. Not a club....but......just saying....

Edited by susan in florida (11/14/17 12:32 PM)

#314498 - 11/13/17 09:53 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: beaglebabes]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: beaglebabes
I saw that also about one for the President. But we are a club sponsored by a store so I have to believe we will all get the the ornament.

I don't think they're treating clubs sponsored by stores differently than they do clubs that don't have a store to sponsor them. I think they came up short with how many ornaments they had available to distribute compared to how many they needed to give one to every name on all of the rosters. I think by only giving one to the three online clubs they had enough to give to all of the others. I suspect they heard enough complaints about how many pins were distributed that they decided to not go down that path again.

#314499 - 11/13/17 10:46 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
88eggs Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Elf VP

Loc: Illinois
I have received a response from Anita Winter at KOC about the Local Club ornaments. Yes, ONLINE clubs will receive only ONE ornament this year.

Ted

#314512 - 11/14/17 08:35 AM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: 88eggs]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Oh, wow! That is so disappointing.

Linda

#314516 - 11/14/17 09:20 AM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: 88eggs]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

Thanks for posting Anita's response Ted.

#314517 - 11/14/17 09:26 AM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: susan in florida]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

I completely forgot about that angle, Susan...yikes! I hope this isn't a harbinger of Hallmark trying to squeeze out online clubs in order to try and get collectors to solely participate via Hallmark's online community.

#314518 - 11/14/17 09:26 AM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
KATIE ANN Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ST. ALBANS, WV, US
It makes me feel very sad like we just don't count.

#314522 - 11/14/17 11:39 AM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
88eggs Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Elf VP

Loc: Illinois
Anita Winter, when she replied that online clubs would only get one Local Club ornament, asked that members express their thoughts on that to her.

Anita.Winter@hallmark.com

Ted

#314526 - 11/14/17 01:17 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
MJJ Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Dallas, TX
When I was at the Amarillo signing I talked at length to Anita's boss (formerly Diana Rice's boss), Nicole. We talked about the Hallmark community & I expressly stated that I didn't want that to overtake the online communities & that I doubted any of the members of those communities would want that either. She stated that they were in no way trying to do that. But I believe now that's exactly what they are trying to do. The have a lot invested in their website & people to run it & want it to be successful.

I'm going to email Anita & express my thoughts & also try to find out why they made this change in policy. It seems like it is happening all of a sudden.

Email sent - I'll post again when I receive a reply.

#314527 - 11/14/17 01:34 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
KATIE ANN Offline
Elf VP

Loc: ST. ALBANS, WV, US
I emailed her as well. I love Yuleloggers and all of the great people on here.

#314529 - 11/14/17 02:26 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: MJJ]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

Thank you so much for what you shared MJJ...I just posted earlier with a similar concern. I'm interested in knowing what kind of response you get from Anita.

#314531 - 11/14/17 07:20 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
I've been a member of various on-line clubs over the years and have several thoughts and feelings on this:

1. I do think in general perhaps too many ornaments have been shipped to some of the huge online clubs. There is often cross-over membership with other local clubs. If somebody is a member of say, YuleLoggers, and Cool, and Digital Dreambook, and a local club, they could in the past (at least in theory) have received four of the local club ornaments. That's overkill.

2. It seems really drastic though to go from fulfilling an entire roster to limiting it to just one for the club President. I would have much preferred Hallmark limiting the amount and giving clubs time and an opportunity to adjust to this change.

3. I think in the past clubs like YuleLog, which numbered in multiple hundreds of members, were gifted 100 ornaments, and they had members volunteer to give up their ornament if they were getting one from a different local club, or if they had multiple memberships for various family members. They found a way to make 100 ornaments work for 200 or 300 members. Has this still been the norm over the past few years? Did they get 100, or enough for the entire roster?
In any case I think it would have been a smoother transition if
A. They reduced the amount to local clubs but not so far as only one.
B. Gave a warning months in advance that the number of ornaments would be reduced in number in order to give clubs an opportunity to keep records or to find a way for distributing the ornaments in a fair manner.
C. Gave a warning that the number may be reduced again in later years.
D. Asked for feedback on ways they could avoid multiple ornaments for members of multiple local clubs.

4. I'm bummed because one online club I'm in doesn't have a lot of members, but many of us are members because we don't have access to a true local club. Many of our members won't have an opportunity to be gifted the local club ornament elsewhere. Now I'll be on the lookout on their behalf.

5. Only one ornament to the president is really going to cause a lot of members to harbor ill-will towards the President, some subconsciously, some consciously. The club presidents are already shouldering a lot of work and now club members will be ticked that they get an ornament when they don't. It's not putting them in a nice position. Besides, most clubs require dedicated volunteer hours from several people. Most have at least a board of four or five members. It's kind of treating them like chopped liver.

6. I am grateful that Hallmark gifts these ornaments out at all. It's not listed as a KOC perk. So I'm trying to remember to temper my comments/feelings with gratitude that they provide this bonus at all.

#314532 - 11/14/17 07:21 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: JerseyVike]
beaglebabes Offline
Elf VP

Loc: WI
I emailed Johnny Ruth and asked her to mine in with my ornaments. She did that and will put a note in with those she sends to the person who handles that for Yule Log.

She has them for us so we all will be getting one.

#314538 - 11/14/17 08:43 PM Re: 2017 Local Club ornament [Re: beaglebabes]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

beaglebabes, since this is directly related to the Club, I've made a reply on the Club forums.

Linda

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Moderator