YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
YuleLog Links
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
1 registered (Jason), 72 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1464 Members
15 Forums
25309 Topics
313053 Posts

Max Online: 194 @ 07/01/17 06:03 PM
Hooked On Ornaments

Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#317403 - 02/13/18 02:44 PM Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes?
AvalonRob Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have been wondering how Hallmark Shops could survive without carrying Keepsake ornaments. Recently I discovered a store about an hour and a half away from my home. It was an independent store and it doesn't appear on Hallmark's store locator. I stopped by there while in the area and discovered they stopped carrying Keepsakes in 2013. They had a wall of old ornaments dating back to the early 1990's. But they are only 40% off the original price. There was nothing exciting or valuable there. I looked around the store and it didn't appear they've released any new products in years. I honestly left feeling a little depressed and wondered how this store is still in business.

I remember a post here that someone's local store didn't carry Keepsakes last year. It's very puzzling to me. confused

#317406 - 02/13/18 03:08 PM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Your first clues about this store are that they don't appear on the Hallmark website and they have older product. When you found that they don't have ornaments newer than 2013 would confirm they have a problem. And that problem is paying their bills at Hallmark. If you are behind on your bills you don't get to sell ornaments and you don't get new stock on things like cards and wrapping paper. Ornaments are the product that brings in the most money so Hallmark takes them away when you don't do what you're supposed to do and that's pay your bills.

Apparently their business is managing to do well enough for the owners based on sales from other products they sell. For example, they may be one of the few places in town where you can buy the paper items for your upcoming wedding (invitations, thank you notes, save the date cards, etc.).

I went to a store that Hallmark pursued to become a Gold Crown store several years ago. The store is now dropping their Hallmark product line because they had so many problems with Hallmark. Their 2017 ornaments are 60% off and they don't have much left. I bought 4 of the 2016 store associate ornaments for $5 since I didn't remember seeing them on the $5 rack before. They weren't discounting the 2016 ornaments any more than the $5 price which is what they've been for over a year. The owner waited on me and said that the associate ornaments weren't supposed to be sold but sold them to me anyway. I bought a few other things that were on clearance because they were Hallmark. This store sells a lot of decorative items along with Pandora and Vera Bradley so the owner knows how to deal with vendors and decided Hallmark wasn't worth the trouble they put her through. So now the nearest Hallmark is about 20 miles away.

#317407 - 02/13/18 03:29 PM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
The store I went to for a few years contacted me in early June 2017, saying they weren’t carrying Keepsakes any longer and offered to mail my Wish List to me. Needless to say, I was not happy. I went from first in Wish List fulfillment to 96 at the next store. I did get everything on my list, but it was annoying. Anyway, nearly every customer from their two stores abandoned them. About a week after Christmas, I had to go do a return from a Barnes and Noble order (legitimately not their fault or mine. A stupid publisher had no idea what an annotated book was, and I’m still bummed not to have an annotated David Copperfield). That was when I saw Keepsakes in their store. Since they’re in that shopping center and I rarely have cause to go there. Guess they realized that even though something else may have made them more profit, the Keepsake customers were what was actually driving those sales. Without them coming in the store, whatever was selling well stopped selling. I was told back in June that they wanted to have higher end “boutique” merchandise and Keepsakes weren’t high end enough. Lesson learned for them, but they may have sunk their stores with that move. I’ll stay with my new store since it is closer, the manager’s a nice guy, and I like to reward stores that work with me. They took my name down for the fairies and called me yesterday, saying the February one was in. Bought her today.

But, it appears the no Keepsakes strategy worked at the store you went to.

#317410 - 02/13/18 05:06 PM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
Originally Posted By: AvalonRob
I have been wondering how Hallmark Shops could survive without carrying Keepsake ornaments. Recently I discovered a store about an hour and a half away from my home. It was an independent store and it doesn't appear on Hallmark's store locator...
Rob what's the address/name of the store?

#317417 - 02/13/18 07:09 PM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
beaglebabes Offline
Elf VP

Loc: WI
That seems kind of strange to me, a Hallmark store with no ornaments. To me that is like saying an ocean with no fish.

#317427 - 02/14/18 07:27 AM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
erika20_98 Offline
YuleLoggers Club Treasurer
Elf VP

Loc: Idaho
There is a local pharmacy here that has a Hallmark sign but the only Hallmark thing they carry is cards.

My true Hallmark store is in another city and they are also a pharmacy but they do carry the keepsake ornaments. A store associate said that the pharmacy is really what is keeping the Hallmark a float.

#317446 - 02/14/18 11:46 PM Re: Hallmark Shops Without Keepsakes? [Re: AvalonRob]
robster Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

I've been to one in San Diego that don't have any ornaments,but they will order for you if you give them a list,or so they say,lol! Then there's one in Astoria I always pop by when I'm there even though they don't carry any orny's either. Never asked if they would order for me if I gave them a list though. I have to stop going there,I KNOW they don't have orny's and yet I still pop in,lol!

J-R!

Moderator:  Moderator