YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26322 Topics
325324 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#318925 - 04/15/18 11:41 AM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Lots of really nice ornaments.

And expensive too !!!

smile grin crazy

#318926 - 04/15/18 11:42 AM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

I may buy a few less ornaments, but spend a lot more !!!

#318927 - 04/15/18 11:43 AM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Eight Maids a Milking is nice, but I wish it had some kind of bird tie-in.

#318928 - 04/15/18 11:45 AM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

It's not just the regular DreamBook on the DigitalDreamBook site, it's the KOC version.

???

#318929 - 04/15/18 12:22 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
oddsbodkins Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Lots to unpack here. The storytellers all look good but Peanuts will be on the outside looking in for me. Have to have the SW tree skirt! Might have to buy the Death Star topper again if mine continues its slow decline and doesn't work when I hook it up.

Nintendo are both winners as are Heat Miser and Lego Joker.

I'll be going through this PDF a few more times today no doubt. Thanks for the heads up!

#318930 - 04/15/18 12:50 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: KATIE ANN]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: KATIE ANN
Did the decide not to do the Frosty Friends mantlescapes? Every year they are left over after Christmas and it makes me sick because I paid full price.

Like Moley said, they might be trying to phase out the magic cord. In the book, there are 19 power cord items (counting the reissued Star Wars). That includes a tabletop and tree skirt.

For magic cord, there are only 5 items. Nearly half of them are Halloween items. It makes sense to continue with Halloween since it holds 7 ornaments, so if someone bought the mansion last year, they would want something else to connect to it (it's doubtful someone connects the mini tree to the same cord). And one of the Halloween ones is the mini tree again. In the Christmas line, one thing is the set of four Noelville reissues. So, if you think about it, the only really "new" things are Once Upon a Christmas, Holiday Lighthouse, and the new Halloween ornament.

I would like to take this moment to remind Hallmark that outlets and power strips only have a limited amount of room. Most people putting these on trees will need at least one outlet for lights for their tree (prelit counts too). Not all of us want to be like the Old Man from "A Christmas Story." Makes me really consider what I'm willing to buy for the power cord. Star Wars (obviously). The new series is so expensive, that I'm now questioning that. Moves Disney up one slot. The one-shots that aren't part of a collection don't appeal to me that much since it'll take a spot where I could use it for something that purposefully interacts. I guess they're good to fill out blank spots on a cord meant for the Peanuts gang...

On the positive side, thank you for finally including things like limited quantity pieces in the Dream Book. Started last year, did a better job this year by putting them all in. As a collector, I really appreciate that.

Since I'm here, how about the Regal Reindeer? Isn't that stunning?!

#318931 - 04/15/18 01:19 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
hollyjolly Offline
Elf

A BIG THANK YOU to the folks at both Digital Dreambook and Yulelog! Hallmark does an excellent job at producing wonderful, magical, Holiday ornaments; but they have always lacked the ability to produce a simple, quality web experience. Luckily, I have Digital Dreambook and Yulelog. Together they have provided me a wonderful web experience for my ornament hobby for many, many years. With over 22,000 hits on this Sneak Peek thread, I am not alone with the utilization of these two sites. Today is a perfect day for me to donate funds to both sites to help them with their hosting and development costs. I plan to give $6 to each. That’s $.50 a month. It is the VERY LEAST I can do to say – thank you! I know Yulelog has a “Donte” button that allows me to use PayPal. Not sure about Digital Dreambook. Might I suggest to those reading this that you might consider the same thing. I am not affiliated to either group; just have used their great web services for many, many years. Happy collecting!

#318932 - 04/15/18 01:38 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
HAL1069 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, Peter Pan!

Wendy Darling and I have been waiting for years for him to return! We tried not to grow up as he asked us; we've been waiting for so long!

I promise, Peter, that I'm still that 9 year old boy who you last saw! (Please look beyond the grey hair and see that I'm still here!)

Ralph

#318933 - 04/15/18 02:44 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
lapetitebaker Offline
YuleLoggers Club Secretary
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Massachusetts
I've done my initial run-through and, goodness, this year will be tough on my wallet! I can't wait to get the physical Dreambook. There are so many wonderful pieces this year. Time to start saving up!

#318934 - 04/15/18 03:19 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

Loc: The belly button of Illinois
This is TERRIBLE timing for me! Hazards of running a Tax Office! I have been able to sneak some peaks. And my wallet will be hurting.

#318935 - 04/15/18 03:38 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
carstairs38 Online   content
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
Going to have to take the time to go through it again soon. And I might need to rob two banks to pay for it all, which is really bad considering I don't have space for it all period. Seriously, I should just stop buying because they are running me out of my condo.

So, how many can I buy this year? smile

#318936 - 04/15/18 03:44 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
Moley Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Arkansas
Ralph, I loved your post. I have so enjoyed this Dream Book availability. I found good luck in downloading the PDF of the Dream Book from Digital Dreambook and then I saved it to my desktop on the computer and emailed a copy to my email so I could download it on the Ipad. From there I saved it to my Kindle app and that makes for the opportunity for a leisurely look at the Dream Book and easy to skip from one page to a later page. Sounds more complicated than what it was. The result was a joy.

I see so many sleeper hit potentials in the ornament selection. I really appreciate that Hallmark has made a leap to more expensive ornaments. It represents a huge investment for them in research and development of more advanced offerings and in putting money behind more quality materials for the select ornaments. That castle is one such. They have to invest in higher end materials and put a few dimes into licensing with Disney. I hope it does not end up in a bargain bin situation like the Stunning Swallow did last year. It would discourage exquisite ornaments from being developed down the road. That kind of thing also discourages consumers from making the early leap to buy full retail. I like to see win-win situations for both company and consumer. The company makes a good profit and the consumer feels like they have good value.

#318937 - 04/15/18 03:54 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
hollyjolly Offline
Elf

2018 – the year of the Keepsake Power Cord!

I am always like a kid getting my hands on the new JC Penny’s Wish Book. Love this time of year!

Like a few others have posted, I am going to be spending more on less this year. I am actually fine with that. I am getting fewer ornaments but each is of greater value to me – the “less is more” theory at work. I love the direction Hallmark is going with premium ornaments and all the technology increases. This is going to be their way to stay ahead of the ornament game and keep them in business for years to come.

Premiums – I am a big fan of quality materials like metal, blown glass and wood. I noticed that this year there was a pivot to premium Disney (Pop Culture) ornaments. I am happy for those that collect pop culture, but I am more of a traditional Holiday ornament person. I love, love, love the Pull-String Polar Bear! I hope Santa rides many more wooden pull-string animals for years to come. I am going to miss the premium bird with precious gemstones and colored enamel – the porcelain swan just doesn’t cut it for me. I noticed the large blown glass are missing from the Dream Book. I hope they show up in the Heritage collection. I really liked last year’s Santa Certified Train and Rocking Horse. I hope they sold well enough to stick around a while.

Keepsake Power Cord – I am going to have to be careful in this space. I love the magic ornaments but this could get real pricey really quick. I predict that the day after Christmas will be a big movement for collectors to fill in the gaps here at half the price. The five Charlie Brown look interesting as do the Merriest House in Town and the 1st in series Journey to the Stars.

Magic Cord – While a really like and will purchase #8 Once Upon a Christmas series – Stockings Hung with Care; I do hope this series wraps up soon. Nine or ten of them is enough for me. Plus, as others have mentioned, it appears Hallmark is wrapping up the use of the Magic Cord for the next generation Keepsake Power Cord. I do have my eye on the set of four Gingerbread Village. At that price, they better do much more than light up. Bravo to Hallmark for making these ornaments with their own power source. Now that we are off the Christmas tree grid we can always be assured that the cords we have will work with our ornaments.

Magic ornaments that take batteries – I only have a few on my list in this space. Usually I purchase the large Ken Crow ornament, but at $60, I am not sure if Santa’s Magic Train has enough going on for that price point. For me it is an after-Christmas purchase at best. I do love the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Record Player!

Series – Tom Best keeps doing a great job with Frosty Friends; love this year’s Hanging Stockings! Toymaker Santa is great (yes, some on the board will complain about this series slant to the “boy” toys – it is a great general Christmas ornament that does a great job each year IMHO. Plus aren’t there enough “girl” focused ornaments). Kris’ unofficial penguin series ornament Ice Castle antics is a bust this year; hope it looks better in person. Beauty of the Birds all look great and love the mystery ornament options. Sad that Beautiful Birdhouse is wrapping up at three but at least it is going out on a great ornament.

General ornaments – Love the Feast of Dedication metal menorah; Hallmark should consider a metal advent wreath ornament with as much personality. Los Tres Reyes Magos (metal three Wise men crowns) looks interesting but I will have to decide in person. Nifty Fifties Angle Tree Topper is great. I like the metal Saint Nick and really looking forward to adding He’s Mr. Heat Miser! Next to his pal Snow Miser!

Miniatures – I am being selective this year as I have too many minis as it is. I think I will be adding: Lil’ Stuffed Stocking (GREAT!), Red Tanager, Sweet Sled, Checking it Twice and A World Within.

Halloween – I know I am in the minority here, but I really wish Hallmark would stop doing “cute” type Halloween ornaments. I wish they would let Sharon Visker cut loose and do more dark and morose ornaments. Even the Sugar Skulls being produced are “cute” in nature. The Bewitching Bat is a perfect example – they could have gone more realistically with this ornament instead of the “cute” route. Again, just my humble opinion. The Many Faces of Jack Skellington is interesting, and I do like the Ghostly Mausoleum.

Club – I really like the two ornaments coming with the Dream Box purchase. I am excited to see how the Dream Box approach grows over the years to come. The only club ornament I may add to my list this year is the Pretty Parrot.

No matter what – great options for everyone this year. Great job Hallmark and happy collecting, all!

#318939 - 04/15/18 04:15 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
Moley Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Arkansas
Great post, hollyjolly. On the series front, I love it when an older series is revived with a new addition. Santa's Sweet Ride series has another addition with the Sweet Snow Plow this year. It also plays music like last year's ice cream truck. That will be on my Wish List. I don't think the Noelville revivals will do anything but twinkle. I think that will be enough for me, though. They will be a great accent to my Gumdrop Alley display. I am a sucker for a whole lotta lights.

#318940 - 04/15/18 04:19 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

We are caught up at the office! Now home to peruse the dreambook!

#318941 - 04/15/18 05:01 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I was excited to see that the Teensy Nutcracker will be the local club ornament for 2018! It looks like Hallmark will be releasing the LCO's in-store during Ornament Debut...hmmmmm....interesting.

Edited by aloha (04/15/18 05:06 PM)

#318945 - 04/15/18 06:03 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: hollyjolly]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Originally Posted By: hollyjolly
Premiums – I am a big fan of quality materials like metal, blown glass and wood. I noticed that this year there was a pivot to premium Disney (Pop Culture) ornaments. I am happy for those that collect pop culture, but I am more of a traditional Holiday ornament person. I love, love, love the Pull-String Polar Bear! I hope Santa rides many more wooden pull-string animals for years to come. I am going to miss the premium bird with precious gemstones and colored enamel – the porcelain swan just doesn’t cut it for me. I noticed the large blown glass are missing from the Dream Book. I hope they show up in the Heritage collection. I really liked last year’s Santa Certified Train and Rocking Horse. I hope they sold well enough to stick around a while.

It also felt like there were more pop-culture ornaments to me too, though I don't know. Not for me either, but good for Hallmark no doubt.

I'm hoping the unofficial pull-string series will loosely follow the old Yuletide Treasures series which I loved so much!

Perhaps we'll see more premium birds in the future. I'm okay with three though. At least they ended with an odd number which I prefer.

I see that there are three blown glass birds in the dreambook. Hope there will be more, though the Heritage ornaments do take up a tremendous amount of space. Putting away my 2017 Heritage ornaments was a bit of a shocker for me.

Originally Posted By: hollyjolly
Halloween – I know I am in the minority here, but I really wish Hallmark would stop doing “cute” type Halloween ornaments. I wish they would let Sharon Visker cut loose and do more dark and morose ornaments. Even the Sugar Skulls being produced are “cute” in nature. The Bewitching Bat is a perfect example – they could have gone more realistically with this ornament instead of the “cute” route. Again, just my humble opinion. The Many Faces of Jack Skellington is interesting, and I do like the Ghostly Mausoleum.

I zoomed in on the bat today, and I really, really like it better now. He's not smiling or scary which is how I like my bats! And the purple will help it pop on my black tree. Oh, and Bitty Bat will be a nice addition to last year's miniature Halloween ornaments!

I'm undecided about The Many Faces of Jack Skellington. May buy the other Night Before Christmas ornament instead.

Did anyone notice Snoopy replaced Mary's Angels trick-or-tricking this year? I actually liked those ornaments. And I already have plenty of Snoopy!

I think I'll be buying a lot less this year. Some years are like that, and it's okay with me. We'll see. But then again, perhaps that will change after I have the dreambook in hand. wink

Lisa

#318946 - 04/15/18 07:00 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Moley]
Qui-gon Grin Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
Originally Posted By: Moley
There are more pages up this morning. What a treat. Peanuts, more Trek. Love the tricorder. Oh Walking Dead, including a walker, *shudder*.

Qui-gon, aren't some of those convention specials also available to KOC members on certain release dates?

In the past that has been done. I thought am not a KOC member. There aren't enough benefits/interest for me to join.

Edited by Qui-gon Grin (04/15/18 07:02 PM)

#318947 - 04/15/18 07:47 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: Goalie]
kindacowboy Offline
Elf VP

My first list is mind boggling. How can I choose? I am scared to do the math.

#318948 - 04/15/18 07:59 PM Re: 2018 Ornaments Sneak Peek [Re: grandma lise]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I enjoy the premium materials too, but they're expensive (and honestly don't always do that well in sales so you can score them after Christmas). I'm happy that they have done well enough to where they can do licensed pieces. If it wasn't for the Disney license, I probably would have never started collecting Hallmarks. And that's why they do license ornaments. They're like gateway ornaments leading to the non-licensed.

Lisa, didn't you see the blown glass set of three birds? Very similar to the Heritage line. A steal at $29.99, honestly.

I'm happy about the polar bear too. Fully confident that it looks better in person like the reindeer. The gold foil doesn't photograph well. But, I loved the teal color of the reindeer. I'm still questioning the red color of the Father Christmas Reindeer though...

Best premium for me is the Regal Reindeer! Beautiful!

Originally Posted By: kindacowboy
My first list is mind boggling. How can I choose? I am scared to do the math.

Check your points. If you bought a lot after Christmas, the point total will make you feel better. It looked higher than I thought, so I investigated why. I looked at the history, and on April 4th, they added in 1500 points because "incorrect email sent." Not sure what that means, but 1500 points is $5 worth of rewards! Yay! I have nearly $50 worth of points! That'll help lighten the load.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Moderator