YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1518 Members
15 Forums
25917 Topics
320954 Posts

Max Online: 194 @ 07/01/17 06:03 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#320056 - 05/24/18 09:25 AM Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
https://www.shopdisney.com/solo-a-star-wars-story-ornament-set-1472040

The set is a limited edition set. Hence the limit one. They have nothing in the description stating such, but if you look at the photos and check out the photo of it in its box, it says limited edition of 900. That's 1/3rd the edition size of the "A New Hope" set. Seems like they learned that these sets aren't selling quickly, so let's lower the size. Now, granted, sometimes they sell out. The Pinocchio and the Beauty and the Beast sets were quick sell-outs.

I don't think this will sell out before they have a free shipping promo or whatever they're going to do for Memorial Day (it won't count for a sale, but if it's a number game, it'll help boost to the next tier), so I'll wait. I kind of want it though. I'm wondering if there will be a "Return of the Jedi" set for the 35th anniversary. Maybe they're going to be consistent and just do the films on their 40th anniversaries.

#320058 - 05/24/18 05:19 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Nice set, but I'm going to pass for now. If by some chance it doesn't sell out and gets discounted, maybe I'd get it.

#320059 - 05/24/18 11:10 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I've skipped these sets in the past, but I always enjoy looking at them, so thanks for sharing.

#320082 - 05/28/18 11:51 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

I went ahead and bought it today since there is a free shipping promo. It's not as limited as say the Bambi set (I think that one was limited to 300 sets). Movie was okay. I think the actor playing Han Solo did a good job mimicking Harrison Ford's expressions. I won't do any spoilers. It's not as fun as the other movies though and gets bogged down with adding in socio-political issues. Sad that they feel the need to add them in. It polarizes the audience more than anything. It also kind of dates your movie, and sci-fi/fantasy holds up better if it isnít dated in its themes.

#320084 - 05/28/18 03:01 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Sorry to hear they preach at us. I'm going to see it next weekend.

#320085 - 05/28/18 04:26 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: carstairs38]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: carstairs38
Sorry to hear they preach at us. I'm going to see it next weekend.

I personally believe actions speak louder than words, and since the actions matched the words, the words weren't needed. I think it's more powerful. And honestly, the fact that the problem doesn't exist in the US (unlike what some people think), makes it even odder. Disney's trying so hard to not face criticism from a certain group, that they're compromising their storytelling. Luckily, once the last scene of that is over (basically right before the Kessel Run; yes, we get to see the Kessel Run), the rest of the film picks up and doesn't feel weighed down by politics. The reveals they do, including about the identity of a certain group and the "are you bad or good" type game they play near the end is very good and keeps you guessing. Then, they bring back a character I was not expecting and was excited for that scene. I don't check IMDB for Star Wars movies or Marvel movies since I don't want spoilers on which characters are going to be in it (obviously, some aren't surprises like Chewbacca).

Is it the worst one? No. But of these "A Star Wars Story" movies, I do prefer "Rogue One." Granted, K2SO is my favorite Star Wars character...did they ever do a Hallmark ornament for him? I don't think they did...

#320088 - 05/28/18 07:04 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

I wish they would leave any political/politically correct stuff out of these movies.

And Rogue One got no love(ornaments) from either Hallmark or Disney, except a Death Trooper.

#320092 - 05/28/18 08:20 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
oddsbodkins Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

I have the same beef with the movie but it was still a fun heist flick that, for me, was leaps and bounds more entertaining than Episode VIII. I won't be buying any ornaments from this film, however.

#320093 - 05/28/18 09:10 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: oddsbodkins]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: oddsbodkins
I have the same beef with the movie but it was still a fun heist flick that, for me, was leaps and bounds more entertaining than Episode VIII. I won't be buying any ornaments from this film, however.

I disagree. With the exception of keeping Kylo Ren as an emo teenage boy (please fix this, somebody), Leia flying through space (the science knowledge in me ranted at that scene), and Rey being a bit too perfect (in fairness, that started in Episode VII), they did pretty much everything correct with Episode VIII, especially with Luke Skywalker. That was a very realistic portrayal of a human being. If they had made him exactly like Obi-Wan, there would have been massive hate. What they did was have him have a moment of doubt that led to catastrophic events. He was probably near the age of a mid-life crisis, and in some people, they go inward and shut people out during that time, exactly what Luke did. Psychologically, he is a more interesting character than Obi-Wan Kenobi or Qui-Gon Jinn. They are also setting up a story line of a balance of the dark and the light. This is a more modern version of storytelling that goes back to probably the earliest of storytelling. A lot of mythology has a hero going through ups and downs. Everyone wants to fuss at this, saying they ruined Luke, but all they did was make him more interesting. They want to praise Lucas since he was "original," but he actually borrowed from the classic hero's journey story line as well as the movie, "The Hidden Fortress." So, claiming Lucas was original when he wasn't and faulting the current Star Wars filmmakers seems bad. That being said, "Rogue One" did some amazing things like killing off the main characters. That is very gutsy to do. Most filmmakers and authors may want to do it, but they don't because most readers and moviegoers want the happy ending. And that is what happened with "The Last Jedi." You had a lot of people who were expecting Luke to come in and save the day (he actually did, but no one wants to say that). The other problem is bitterness over Rey being so powerful. I'll admit that's weird and she's almost too perfect since she's making the correct decisions nearly every time and is as powerful as someone who trained for years, and I don't know where they're going with it. I really was expecting her to go toward the Dark Side in this film, and I still think that would have worked better and kind of given that feeling you get at the end of "Empire" where hope is kind of lost, but it didn't happen, so we'll see what Abrams does.

I will say something in favor of teenage emo boy Kylo Ren. It set up my two favorite moments in the film: 1. Luke brushing off his shoulder and 2. Hux saying, "You think you got him?" or something like that. Can't remember the exact quote. But darn it Disney, someone who is that character's age (I'm guessing late 20s?) really shouldn't be that bratty and overly emotional all the time.

#320161 - 06/02/18 03:29 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
I must have seen a different movie. I don't recall any politics or preaching. Just a heist film in space with characters that I like.

#320176 - 06/02/18 07:59 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

I saw it today, and I know which character you guys are talking about. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. It was over the top when we first met the character, but it came into play in the plot in a big way, so I really didn't mind that much.

I really need to write my review if I'm going to have it ready to post on Monday. But...oh look...another site to visit on the internet.

#320244 - 06/04/18 08:51 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
Heidi Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: SC
I expected something...else. I don't know what, but felt let down. We gave it a 7 of 10. Expected better from Ron Howard. Left giant hole for a sequel. Maybe I felt it was unfinished.

#320257 - 06/04/18 05:46 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

I haven't seen it yet, but was expecting how Han Solo evolved leading up to Luke meeting him in the first Star Wars movie.

#320270 - 06/05/18 03:17 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story ornament set [Re: luckdragon]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Got my set today! Very nice. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but these smaller ornaments in the Star Wars sets with the tiny details have had better paint jobs than the bigger ornaments like the Art of sets.

What I found interesting was the film title is nowhere on the box. It says Star Wars several times, but it doesn't say "Solo" on it.

Moderator:  Moderator