YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software
Join the YuleLoggers Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club

Who's Online
2 registered (Elliott the Elf, 1 invisible), 86 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
1481 Members
15 Forums
25509 Topics
315602 Posts

Max Online: 194 @ 07/01/17 06:03 PM
Hooked On Ornaments

Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#323654 - 10/09/18 07:30 PM Limited Edition ornaments
auntlucy Offline
Elf in Training

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
Is anyone else as frustrated as I am, with not being able to get the in store, limited edition ornaments? I could not get to the only Hallmark within 50 miles of here, until Sunday morning. By then all of the limited edition ornaments were gone. Since so many Hallmark stores have shut down, we should all write to Hallmark and ask them to have the in store ornaments available online or some other option, (using our membership number for one ornament each) at least for the weekend during the events.

#323657 - 10/09/18 08:12 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
They'll be available online the day after the event is over. Should be online on Monday.

#323674 - 10/10/18 03:53 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Loc: California
Just looked at Hallmark.com, not selling them there yet. says check your stores! haha what a joke! I think "limited" should mean maybe 15-20 at the very least! My hallmark Amys is huge and they only got a few.

#323678 - 10/10/18 06:54 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
88eggs Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Elf VP

Loc: Illinois
The Debut event isn't over until next Sunday, so the limiteds should not be online yet.

Ted

#323680 - 10/10/18 07:05 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
Santa's Helper Offline
Elf

Loc: SoCal
Sounds like I'm as frustrated (if not more) than the OP. My scenario: I live in the greater Los Angeles area, where the quantity of Hallmark stores in our local area (i.e., within 10 miles of my home) has shrunk from 20+ fifteen years ago to 2 remaining ones, and was at both of these HMK stores 1/2-hour before their opening times. Both had lines of 15 or more people at the front door when I arrived (they increased a little more by store opening time). In both cases, the limiteds were in very short supply.

At the first store, with some luck and quick thinking/grabbing, I was able to get 5 of 7 "regular" (non-KOC) limiteds. But I missed out on the Jiminy Cricket and AiW Queen of Hearts ornaments. By the time I left after paying for my ornaments, there may have been a couple limiteds (overall) left, but that was at 8:35 a.m. I feel bad for anyone who showed up at 9:00 a.m. or after and expected to get some/one limited ornaments.

At the second store, a new policy was implemented this year: the store was keeping all the limiteds behind the checkout counter and would distribute one each to those customers according to their place in line (before store opening). And (here's the kicker for me), they were already out of the Jiminy Cricket and Queen of Hearts ornaments BEFORE the first person in line even had a chance to request either of them.

I didn't stick around long after the "we're already out of" news filtered back through the line of people waiting to get one or more limiteds from the counter personnel.

So, for me, the box score from last Saturday morning was: In a major metropolitan area with only 2 HMK stores within a 20- to 25-mile radius of my home (in an area with probably 1.5M or more residents), these stores didn't have many limiteds to buy for a decent amount of the people who arrived at the stores earlier than opening times...or the ones who came at opening time or later that morning.

This experience is probably the last straw for me concerning buying/collecting HMK ornaments. It's gotten way too difficult (outside of eBay purchases, which involve bidding, paying for shipping, hoping nothing is damaged during delivery, etc.) to buy a lot of the limited ornaments that previously (i.e., a couple of years ago and before) were obtainable with some early morning effort. After 45 years of ornament collection, this year will probably be my last one due to the tremendous shrinkage of Hallmark stores in the area and the scarce nature of many ornaments that may be offered for sale for a very short time period.

I think HMK is really making a major blunder with the store closings, reduced in-store inventory and rising per-piece prices. I didn't think the day would come that I would be so soured with my ornament collecting hobby...but, sadly, it has.

#323681 - 10/10/18 07:19 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Seems like a few years ago they had an anniversary Snow Buddies ornament that was a compliment to the regular line. I love the Snow buddies and was happy to get this cute addition. I don't remember it being limited, maybe it was but plenty to go around to everybody who collected that series. I think Hallmark is cutting it's own throat!...you make a super cute ornament that compliments an already popular series, if it had been a compliment instead of limited, I would bet each store could sell 20-30 or more of this ornament! So they have LOST all that revenue! Even people who didn't collect this series, probably would have bought it, people who collect teapots, people who love hot chocolate, it was just darn cute! So instead of selling dozens of these per store, they only sold 6-15 max!! So they are the ones who lost sales, and made Hallmark customers angry! yes, limiteds get people into the store, but if you can't even get one after standing in line starting at 7AM, it is beyond "limited"...is should be called RARE!

#323684 - 10/10/18 09:41 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
If it's true that there will be some lomiteds available on Hallmark.com next week, they are probably not distributing as many limiteds as they originally did when they offered the first limited ornaments. That way they are trying to reach the people who don't have access to a store for whatever reason. I suspect that's part of their strategy.

If the Hallmark store(s) that closed were corporate store(s), then it's Hallmark's fault they closed. If they were an independent store, blame it on the way the world is today. Rents at malls are rising, people aren't spending money on Hallmark products like cards and gift wrap, and other collectible lines probably aren't selling as well as they used to. Younger people today are minimalists so they're not buying things that are stored in the limited space they have available. Older people are downsizing their collections or aren't adding to their collections like they used to. Hallmark may play a role in the closing of an independent store but they're probably not the biggest reason.

#323692 - 10/11/18 08:34 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Anniversary ornaments are not always Premiere or Debut Limited Quantity ornaments.

This year the Mischievous Kitten anniversary ornament in a December release.

#323693 - 10/11/18 08:42 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

They’ve done these for more than ten years and the program succeeds: it gets people to come to the event. They are not going to stop the program or what they choose to select for it. They aren’t going to increase production. Just wait until Monday. I feel like a broken record.

#323694 - 10/11/18 08:47 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: JerseyVike]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike
Anniversary ornaments are not always Premiere or Debut Limited Quantity ornaments.

This year the Mischievous Kitten anniversary ornament in a December release.

Honestly, I think December releases have the lowest production numbers. Snow Buddies anniversary piece last year was a July regular line ornament. Sometimes, they’re KOC exclusives.

#323695 - 10/11/18 08:56 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
SamIam Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Manchester, NH
I have a love/hate relationship with the limiteds. Hallmark has been doing this for 10 years now, and except for the first year... we were all concerned about getting the ones we wanted.. I feel like this is truly the first year that these ornaments were truly limited. In New England anyways.. there were always limiteds on the shelf,, sometimes in the sale rack after Christmas.. not always.. but for the most part..We have all seen the posts here over the years “ The Limiteds are going to be really limited this year..” and then premiere and debut comes and goes and mostly people have not had a problem getting what they want and for the most part I have not seen an uproar like this. I posted on the facebook page Hallmark should take care of us “crazies” ( I say this with the greatest love for all of you).. No one else is in their stores buying ornaments in July and early Oct but us.. Stores should be able to pre-order enough for wishlists for those of use who are dedicated collectors.. because again who else in the world are turning in “Wishlists” for ornaments but there best customer base.. the ornaments can still be considered limited.. send a few extra after the wishlists are filled.. and then put those out for the general public.. Collectors are happy.. Hallmark sells more ornaments .. Store employees life’s are easier.. I know they will probably have several online.. and that is what retail is trying in general... it is cheaper to have customers shop online.

#323696 - 10/11/18 10:55 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
erika20_98 Offline
YuleLoggers Club Treasurer
Elf VP

Loc: Idaho
In years past, I wouldn't have to stand in line to get limiteds, my local store would put them out on the display and we could walk in after the store opened (10am) and just pick up what we wanted. With in the last couple of years, that has changed. Limiteds have moved to behind the counter and people line up.

I was lucky this go around, I was 2nd in line (lined up about 9:40) and I was able to get 1 of each limited I wanted. My store didn't have very many Jiminy Cricket or the Season's treatings.

I believe my store still has the Alice in Woderland-Queen of Hearts ornament, the Taz one, and the Riddler. I am willing to double check and pick up for anyone. I think my store will ship if you order over the phone and pay for the shipping of course.

#323700 - 10/11/18 03:43 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Sad just found out that our Amy's corp store in the mall is closed! they had just remodeled it and it looked so nice with lots of new gift items. The other store said Hallmark is not doing that well, but their store is still fine. At one time one of the top sellers in the country. I agree with above statements, young people not interested in collecting alot of stuff. I am also 72 and not buying but a very few, one year only put up a tiny tree instead of my 7ft one. Very sad! I too have boxes to get rid of, market is not very good anymore to even sell the old favorites. Does anybody know how many corp stores Hallmark has closed in the country??

#323745 - 10/14/18 03:01 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

I wonder if it was a manufacturing issue or customs? It is taking longer for things to ship from overseas. It was just odd how few limiteds there were compared to previous years. I am talking single digits received by the store. Except Queen of Hearts. Plenty of those were around. Also, was this the first year limiteds were in the actual Dream Book?

#323749 - 10/14/18 09:04 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

It depends on your store. I heard the manager at mine say they got in 50 of Season’s Treatings, but all were claimed on wish lists.

#323750 - 10/14/18 11:19 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
aloha Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I wonder if the trade war with China impacted manufacturing of the limited ornaments.

#323751 - 10/14/18 11:57 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: aloha]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: aloha
I wonder if the trade war with China impacted manufacturing of the limited ornaments.

I would think that they were already either in production or on their way to the US when the tariffs went into effect. The limiteds should have been included in the same shipments as the Frosty Fun Decade ornaments that were signed by Tammy Haddix and sent to the local clubs who entered contest to win a signing event.

#323752 - 10/14/18 12:59 PM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
Heidi Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: SC
Aiken Office Supply still had 3 Red Queens and 3 or 4 Blushing brides left as of noon 10/13. They ship. 803.648.8339

#323756 - 10/15/18 12:18 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: auntlucy]
Moley Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Arkansas
It is now 12:14 a.m. on Monday morning and I was able to get Season's Treatings online. The order box only allows one per order, but I was able to go back online and order one more for a friend. It still shows for sale at 12.99 but I would suggest for those who missed out in their store to order quickly.

Here is the irony for me. I was this close to ordering on Ebay out of panic because at 12:00 and a few minutes after, it was still showing in store only. Right before I logged onto Ebay, I refreshed the product page one more time. I have terrible reflexes but my fingers flew like Spider Man on speed. Good luck to all in getting this.

#323757 - 10/15/18 12:47 AM Re: Limited Edition ornaments [Re: luckdragon]
Moley Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: luckdragon
They'll be available online the day after the event is over. Should be online on Monday.

You have tried all week to reassure us about these. Now I wonder how fast they will sell out online today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Moderator