YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
1531 Members
15 Forums
26157 Topics
323423 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#325165 - 12/24/18 03:39 PM Gift wrapping adventures...
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
I love wrapping gifts. This year we gave the grandchildren A Pop-Up Guide To Hogwarts, a Hallmark card with cash, and a DVD, BBC: Harry Potter: A History of Magic DVD.

My older Hallmark gift wrap wasn't easily accessible, so I instead used some Papyrus gift wrap I picked up from a local store.

For an interesting gift top, I liked the artwork on the DVD so much, I used it, and the Hallmark card's red envelop to frame it...

What I'd do differently: Not use glittered gift wrap when using my bed to wrap gifts. What a mess! [giggle]

more to come...

#325166 - 12/24/18 03:53 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

And now to wrap this year's gag gift for the annual white elephant gift exchange...

A Squatty Potty Toilet Stool, light weight but a challenge to wrap because of it's length. So what to do?

I bought two boxes at Walmart for a total cost of $3 or $4: a 14x14x14 (for box bottom) and 18x18x18 (for box lid).

Here's the "box bottom"...

And here's the larger box I'll use to make the "box lid" with an overabundance of packing material (from my numerous online Hallmark orders this month) which I will use to "nest" the gift...

#325167 - 12/24/18 04:16 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

NOT PICTURED: To hold extended box flaps in position at the top of the "box bottom", I used box tape.

What I'd do differently: Instead of taping the extended box flaps into position, I'd instead reinforce the INTERIOR upper box corners on the inside with (4) 2"x4" rectangles of cardboard, each folded in half so there's now two 2"x2" surfaces to staple into each of the top 4 corners of box top, which I believe will work better than tape.

For the 14" lid with 2" sides, I needed an 18" square of cardboard. I used a yard stick and pencil to draw the cut/fold lines, a box cutter to cut out the 18" square and 2" tabs, and MOST IMPORTANT, a throw away cardboard box to protect the board on my bed from the box cutter blade...

To score my interior "fold" lines, I used the yardstick to guide the dull side of the knife. This type of cardboard has a thin paper layer so instead of scoring, I allowed the knife to gently break though the top paper layer every inch or so, then folded the four box lid edges...

#325168 - 12/24/18 04:22 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

To complete the "box lid", I used a stapler with 1/4" staples, but the staple ends didn't fold well on the interior of the box lid.

What I did differently: I pulled the staples out, then stapled again but this time really squeezed the stapler hard with both hands, then used the knife to flatten the staple ends. That worked.

Here's a picture of the finished box lid...

#325169 - 12/24/18 04:31 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Next I laid the packing material across the bed, partially layered, then rolled the stool from one end to the other. Then stuffed it into the box.

What I did differently: When I began from one end, it all came apart as I rolled. When I tried again, this time rolling the stool from the opposite end, the packing paper stayed together. Hard to explain until you've done it.

And here it is...

My original plan was to wrap the box bottom and the box top separately with gift wrap, but I ran out of time.

What I'd do differently: Open up the "box bottom" and re-glue it so the graphics are on the inside of the box. Draw my cut/fold lines on the 18" square of cardboard on the side with all the writing so the box exterior is just cardboard without all the distracting graphics. That way, gift wrap isn't needed. smile

#325173 - 12/24/18 06:08 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
luckdragon Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Greensboro, NC
My gift wrapping adventures usually consist of trying to figure out where I had just set the scissors and keeping the dog from walking on the wrapping paper (Iím a floor wrapper). I will say this video is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYXaxeJBj5k

Iíve made the gift bag out of wrapping paper like the video teaches you. People who saw it wanted to know where I learned how to do that. It was certainly cheaper than buying a gift bag (it was a toy for a one-year-oldís birthday; toys tend to have weird shaped packaging).

#325177 - 12/24/18 11:30 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Love that video luckdragon. So many great ideas and techniques!

Lisa

#325180 - 12/25/18 12:15 AM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
beaglebabes Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: WI
I usually wrap items rather elegantly, but I haven't had any to wrap lately. Jr. is grown and we don't exchange any gifts anymore.

#325181 - 12/25/18 12:32 AM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

I'd be glad to help you out Janet. Send wrapped gifts to me. wink

Okay, after my little glitter fiasco yesterday, I was amused to read online this morning about an engineer who built glitter bomb traps for package thieves. Finally had some quiet time to find it. Engineers are the BEST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

#325182 - 12/25/18 12:51 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Looks like fun, the challenging wraps are the most fun.

#325183 - 12/25/18 04:59 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
Lisa, OMG!!! smile

#325203 - 12/26/18 11:42 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

OMG? Debbie would you care to elaborate? [giggle]

One last gift. I love wrapping gifts with satin ribbon...

#325217 - 12/27/18 04:34 PM Re: Gift wrapping adventures... [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Offline
Santa's Helper

Forgot to share what's in the above gift: My husband's choice of gag gifts, which arrived yesterday...

Bacon Bandages
https://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-114...ndaids&th=1

Jelly Belly Draft Beer Jelly Beans
https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Draft...2Bbeer&th=1

He's dropping them off to their recipients today. smile

Moderator:  Moderator