YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1515 Members
15 Forums
25852 Topics
320169 Posts

Max Online: 194 @ 07/01/17 06:03 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#329543 - 08/08/19 06:51 PM Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!!
SamIam Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Manchester, NH
Having a great time but they were hours behind in signing times so after 3:30 it became a free for all!! The artist all are staying later to finish everyone!!

#329545 - 08/08/19 09:18 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
thsrocks Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Louisville, KY
My girlfriend waited in line for two hours to get Ken Crow's autograph. He allowed photos and meet and greets with everyone instead of signing the two items per person and keeping the line moving.....

#329546 - 08/08/19 11:35 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
susan in florida Offline
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
It was bad. Over 2 hours for one signing line. Took me over 4 and 1/2 hours. Only got 2 signing lines done. The magic line was the worst.

#329550 - 08/09/19 03:16 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
beachboots Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA, USA
We stood in lines for about two hours and only got one group. :-(

Edited by beachboots (08/09/19 03:16 PM)

#329553 - 08/09/19 05:04 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
I thought this was supposed to be super organized?

#329574 - 08/11/19 09:13 AM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

I ended up getting 4 of the 5 artist signing groups. It took a lot of time Thursday but I got to do so much visiting with old and new friends while standing in line

#329586 - 08/12/19 03:16 AM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
beaglebabes Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: WI
My friend was hit by a women in a scooter, which ran over her ankle. She was in a wheel chair for the whole event after 12 on Friday. She missed quite a bit of the event and was very angry. The same women hit 4 other people that we know of. She said she will not go next time.

Our first signing was 11. We went there and stood what we thought was the line. Nope, we had to go to a table. By the time the first tables were empty, we went to a table and she never called us until the very end. By then all of the 11:20 people came and there was mass confusion. So I did not get signed until 12:30. On to the next signing, again a table and then the artists went to lunch at 3. Then the chaos. It was announced to just get in line. What a mess. Our group still went by times as it was so very large. Next group was long but seemed to grow quicker. Finally, the retired artists. That was about the only line which moved on time. The artists were only supposed to stay until 7 but went signed until 8:30.

Friday, just about everyone went to the session at 9:45. That was great! Ken Crow was master of ceremonies and a few of the artists took part. Then the magic wand appeared. When we would yell the magic want lit up. Every section, there were three of them, one of the artists would raise a K, O, C sign and we would yell out that letter. We were in the K section and Tracy Larson had that sign. I could not see who had the other sections. Then on to our last signings. Do you know how hard it is to push a wheelchair and get ornaments signed? I could have used five more hands.

On to the afternoon and games. First up, Bingo. Our session was packed and even had a few people standing. Then to Spin It to Win It. That is all I will say. Finally, Trivia. That was fun and quite a few prizes were given away. Now on to our buffet dinner and the costume contest. There were some amazing costumes. I hope Hallmark posts them on their website. I left early to get in line to buy extra product. So I was there by 7:30 along with three friends and a few others. We talked all night except for our Digital Dreambook friend who tried to sleep. Someone made numbers and we got in line about 6:30. I tried to organize the people but everyone came forward and I got the first 20 in and then someone behind me got the rest in order. They opened the product shop early to get the people out of the lobby. We just had to just wait for everyone to get there. Got our product and left. I helped some people and some helped me. On to more seminars. There were so many people it was unreal. Found by accident the pins which they said would be in our grab bags. They just put them on the table and I went through three times as some were different every time. Did a few more of the seminars and then went over to dinner. I forgot my nametag. Ugh!. Back up to the room and a friend called me over. After I finished eating I went back to my room and went to bed. I was beat.

We drove home on Sunday.

#329587 - 08/12/19 06:56 AM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
sweetdcb Offline

Loc: MN
Overall the convention was good. There are definitely some areas to improve upon but I really did like the pre-planned schedule for activity sessions. I do not do signings so I missed that whole fiasco on Thursday. My thoughts:
1) Hallmark, or the convention organizers, will need to re-evaluate the start/end times for activity sessions and consider staggering them if they intend to keep the convention at the hotels in Crown Center. The venue simply cannot accommodate that many people trying to circulate in the space allowed.
2) The game prizes, for most people, seemed much harder to come by this year. There are always those individuals who seem to have the inside track and come away with piles but I try not to focus on that aspect. I wish the organizers would have put more thought in using random name generators. The process for selecting people seemed for games etc just seemed off this year.
3) The seminars are a highlight for me but I wish they would also consider awarding more of the game prizes in these seminars. If 250 people are in the room, perhaps 25 prizes selected from a random draw. It would make the seminars a valued use of time.

Those are just a few thoughts.

Darcy

#329590 - 08/12/19 11:42 AM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: sweetdcb]
SamIam Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Manchester, NH
That is a great idea, you should put that in the feedback survey

#329592 - 08/12/19 12:55 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
bill Offline

Loc: Ashville,N.Y. USA
I have attended every convention since 1993 and for my money, this was by far the worst one yet. The lobby of the Sheraton didn't even have so much as a Christmas tree There were no hourly drawings for prizes. MOB control at the games was non existant. They packed in as many as they could into the room - there for fewer sessions and fewer prizes given out. When the session let out there was pandemonium as there were more people trying to get in and another group trying to get into another room . It was so bad that my wife and I took the first exit we came to and skipped the trivia and spin it to win it. I will really have to think long and hard about attending the next one.

#329593 - 08/12/19 01:31 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: bill]
DeniseC Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Sequim, Washington
I had a great time. I was able to get through 4 of my 5 signings on Thursday - about 90 minutes late.. I missed the retired artists. One of the problems is that some people did not unbox/unwrap their ornaments until they got to the artist. Maybe next time, you should not be allowed in the line unless your ornaments are organized and ready to be signed. The hallways where the games and seminars were held were very, very crowded. I am sure Hallmark will fix that for next time. The dinners were delicious. This year I won just one prize at a seminar/game. In 2017 I had won 5. It all balances out I want to thank Hallmark and all of the volunteers for all the effort and work that they put into this convention. Shame on the people who took out their frustrations on the volunteers by screaming at them. I am looking forward to 2021.

#329597 - 08/12/19 02:54 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
btowndude Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Central Valley of CA
I would rank the 2019 convention one of the better ones.
The Good:
+ Registration - I waited until 8:45 am and there was no line. It took 10 minutes only because I stopped to KOC friends. I went back to my room to drop off the swag.
+ Product Pickup - Again, I waited until 9:45 am and the line was short. It seemed the L-O was the longest. I was out by 10:10, stopping to talk with friends and selling off by bird, puppy, and fairy.
+ Dinners - Food was warm and tasty. Sadly, I missed out on Friday desserts, because some were greedy and took more than their fair share.
+ Shuttles - The hotel busses and vans between the two hotels were great. Thank you Marriott for the great perk!
+ KOC App - excellent addition
+ Keepsake Artist interaction - It was awesome to see the artists out and about in the hotel, at the games and seminars. It was like seeing your teacher at the mall or the supermarket! smile

#329600 - 08/12/19 05:08 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
hollyjolly Offline
Elf

Overall the convention was not a great experience for the small group I was with.

First the positives:
- Quick check-in
- Easy product pick-up
- Wonderful videos at the large group session on Friday morning
- Friendly volunteers
- If you like interactions with the artists – the seminars were a good interaction point
- The Westin hotel rooms were nice and no problems with the elevators

Now the negatives:
As good as they are at creativity – Hallmark has no sense of how to crowd manage. The signings were a wreck from the beginning. If you look at what they did… they actually reduced the signing times to just a day and a half (from the usual two full days) and thought adding in scanners and asking everyone to “pick up the pace” was a workable plan. It was faulted from the beginning. If they are going to do signings going forward and keep the convention at three days, they are going to have to forgo having artists in the seminars and have them sign for all three days. Expand the signing times and that is how you get rid of lines. Period. Another miss on crowd management was the location of all the games and seminars. If someone would have mapped that out, they would have found the tight hallway issue before the convention began. If Hallmark hires a third party to help them with logistics around this convention – Hallmark should ask for that consulting fee back.

I can’t believe I am saying this – but get rid of the games. As someone mentioned above it feels like a few attendees know how to work the system and win. Forget getting the prize; just from an entertainment value for me it was a flop. The trivia was the most organized; but the bingo had little support to validate winners and the room was WAY TOO crowded. And then the UGH! Spin it to Win it. This was my small group of three’s experiences with this game. The MC was a nice man and admitted that he liked to have fun with this. He takes a bit of a “snarky” flavor to his master of ceremony effort. That on its own would be okay; but in the session we attended we had five attendees who acted like drunk contestants from Let’s Make a Deal. They were way too loud and consistently interjected themselves. We thought they were being loud in the hopes the MC would give them a prize to just shut them up. The MC did not help things and tried to have quick comebacks to the five attendees. The banter back and forth really did take over any “fun” in the session. My group left with 20 minutes left because it just got to be too much.

Come Saturday, we decided to leave around noon. We just weren’t having that good of a time and wanted to hit the road for home. We all have decided to skip the next one and take a break.

For those that had a great time – glad you enjoyed your experience! Hope the 2021 event is just as fun of an experience for you.

#329602 - 08/12/19 06:32 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

this is from above:
"In the session we attended we had five attendees who acted like drunk contestants from Let’s Make a Deal. They were way too loud and consistently interjected themselves. We thought they were being loud in the hopes the MC would give them a prize to just shut them up. The MC did not help things and tried to have quick comebacks to the five attendees. The banter back and forth really did take over any “fun” in the session."

I was in Trivia and we had 3 like this. I bet the same people. Loud, entitled, thinking they were the only people in the VERY CROWDED room, never stopped talking to the game host. 2 of the 3 were rewarded and picked to play and got special ornaments. Even that didn't SHUT THEM UP!! Made the whole game no FUN!

#329686 - 08/16/19 04:28 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
beaglebabes Offline
Santa's Helper

Why kids were there I don't understand. What interest does a three year old have. Our spin it to win it had only 6 adult winners for the full 40 minutes. The first 11 minutes he talked about himself. I did not pay over $1000 to hear that. Then he calls all the kids up. He seemed familiar with some which leads me to believe some of them stayed there all afternoon.If this guy is there again, I will walk out if the event is held in two years. In my comments I asked them to skip the event in two years and put all of their resources in the the 50th anniversary in four years.

I have never ever met so many rude people and a bully. Name calling, shoving, etc.

#329688 - 08/16/19 05:34 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
I guess I'm glad I couldn't go this year. I don't understand why HMK can't get this together. They've been doing it long enough for heaven sakes!

#329690 - 08/16/19 06:38 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
Dr. Redbird Offline
Elf

My husband knew that I was sad to miss out on the convention. He found an estate sale for us to go to instead. Based on your comments, so happy I didn't attend. If I had, I would have missed all of this:

1976 Santa Twirl-About
1976 Yesteryears Santa
1977 Weather Twirl-About
1978 Holly and Poinsettia Ball
1978 Schneeburg Bell
1978 Joy!
1978 Carousel #1
1979 Christmas is for Children
1979 Christmas Treat
1979 Here Comes Santa #1
1981 Here Comes Santa #3
1981 Mr. & Mrs. Claus
1981 Rocking Horse #1
1981 Well Worn Stocking
1982 Christmas Kitten-Little Trimmer
1982 Cycling Santa
1982 Here Comes Santa #4
1982 Peeking Elf
1982 Rocking Horse #2
1983 Here Comes Santa #5
1983 Rocking Horse #3
1983 Tin Rocking Horse
1984 Rocking Horse #4
1984 Uncle Sam
1985 Here Comes Santa #6
1985 Rocking Horse #5
1986 Rocking Horse #6
1986 Frosty Friends #7

American Greetings Ornaments

Holly Hobbie Bright Holiday Cheer
Strawberry Shortcake

Merry Miniatures

1974 Angel
1974 Snowman
1975 Santa
1976 Mr. Snowman
1981 Penguin
1978 Joy
1980 Santa with Gift
1980 Sleigh
1982 Tumbling Santa

All of this for just $89.00 without a plane ride, hotel costs, and aggravation...just a bit of a drive. While I did miss out on the nice people and new product, I don't feel quite as bad for missing out on the convention, especially with everyone sharing your experiences.

#329691 - 08/16/19 06:49 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
beaglebabes Offline
Santa's Helper

Wow, you really found some nice ornaments.

#329693 - 08/16/19 07:07 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

Merry Miniatures

1974 Angel

that's One I have never seen at any garage or estate sales.

#329695 - 08/16/19 07:26 PM Re: Having fun in KC but a little chaos too!! [Re: SamIam]
Dr. Redbird Offline
Elf

My husband found the Merry Miniatures. They were in a little box. I was too excited about Here Comes Santa #1...the one missing from my series. At first I wasn't sure about the angel, I'd never seen her in person, only in illustration, but for a dollar apiece, just took the whole box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator