YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (Dr. Redbird), 80 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325459 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#331858 - 01/28/20 11:50 PM Our email address was hacked
grandma lise Online   content
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
My apologies to those of you who received this email from our personal email address yesterday...

"How are you? I need a favor from you
I need to get a eBay Gift Card for my nephew, it's his birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling. can you get it from any store around you? I'll pay back as soon as I am back. kindly let me know if you can handle this.

Thanks"

When one of my friends who knows me very well replied to "my" email today by asking "me" to text her "the details", this is what she received...

"Thank you. i still need it i have been waiting for your mail. Thank you very much. Total amount needed for Gift Card is $300 from any store around you and I need you to scratch the back of the card to reveal the pin, then take a snap shot of the back showing the pin and then forward it to me here online thank you.
let me know if you got this."

That's when she was certain it wasn't me. She immediately texted me...

"I think somebody hacked your email."

Unfortunately, I'd left my cell phone at home, so I didn't see her text until I got home from work tonight.

I want to explain how this happened so you'll know what to do if it happens to you.

Saturday morning, we got an email from "AT&T" explaining that we needed to confirm our email address with them. I deleted it. My husband, who left the corporate world to start his own business decades ago, unfortunately, responded to it.

The email kind of made sense because AT&T has absorbed quite a few of the older email services, and ours is one of them.

Even though my husband knows better, he now believes he clicked on a link instead of closing the email and going directly to the AT&T website.

The link took him to what looked like an AT&T sign in page. He entered our email address and password, didn't see anything else that he should do, closed the page, and continued on with his day.

That was Saturday morning.

When I arrived at work on Monday morning, I opened my work email and saw the above email. Shocked.

Then I got a message from my supervisor telling me that my email address had obviously been hacked. She and a number of people in our department had received the same email from "me". Shocked again.

I didn't know what to do, so immediately left multiple phone messages for my husband, who is much more knowledgeable about these type of things, but as luck would have it, he didn't have his phone with him.

That afternoon, my supervisor checked in with me and shared that she changes her password regularly with the hope of avoiding this type of situation. That's when I realized that was what we needed to do, change our password.

When my husband and I finally connected yesterday, he went online and changed our password.

This morning we realized that was a good first step, but not enough. The number of emails we'd received overnight and this morning were a trickle compared to what we normally get, which led me to believe that our emails were being redirected. I asked my husband to call AT&T customer support. This was reinforced today by my employers IT department.

Interestingly, looking at the email records tonight - (we have access to them now) - because my friend replied, they were somehow able to continue communicating with her today, seemingly from "our" email address.

My husband had a number of scheduled obligations today so wasn't able to go onto the AT&T website to figure out how to call AT&T until late this afternoon.

AT&T confirmed that our account had been hacked, that our emails were being redirected to a little used folder in our account, and were also being forwarded to a gmail.com address.

They had my husband change our password again, and then added a security code that would be required to make any future changes to the account.

Learn more here... https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1010551

My first thought when this all happened was that no one I know would fall for that email, in part because it wasn't my style at all.

This morning, in a bit of a panic, I realized that some of my elderly friends might fall for it, so I called and told them this morning.

Not sure what else we can do other than to share our story here with the hope that others won't make the mistake we did.

Might be worth a call to your email provider to see if additional security measures can be taken to protect your email account.

#331862 - 01/29/20 08:24 AM Re: Our email address was hacked [Re: grandma lise]
lindafay Offline
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Duncan, OK USA
That's terrible how much of this goes on. I got the exact same e-mail from a member of our club here. It was obvious it wasn't her though since she's now in a nursing home and wouldn't be "traveling" anywhere. Another of our club members sent the rest of us e-mails to let us know that Christine must have been hacked. It's a full time job keeping up with those things.

Linda

#331864 - 01/29/20 01:06 PM Re: Our email address was hacked [Re: grandma lise]
beaglebabes Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: WI
My email address is the same, but I change the password once a year and it is a long one. I have to write it down so I don't forget. And the way I have my account set up is I have to sign in every two weeks. My Norton takes good care of spam and sometimes even takes my legit stuff there. So I have to check spam also.

#331870 - 01/30/20 03:31 PM Re: Our email address was hacked [Re: grandma lise]
grandma lise Online   content
Santa's Helper

Loc: Washington State
Linda, others have shared similar stories. On the AT&T website - (which I linked to above) - they give examples of this scam going as far back as 2013.

beaglebabes, we've since received other reports of the email having been either blocked as a scam or going straight to people's junk email folder. That's good news.

Just so you all know, those few people who replied to the email are not at risk of being hacked.

To hack your email account, they have to have the password to your email account.

So long as you do not click on a link or open an attachment in a suspicious email, you should be fine.

The mistake my husband made is explained in the above post.

To date, we know of no one who fell for this email scam. Whew!

Thanks to all who reached out to me as soon as this happened. That was very helpful. Thank you so much!

#331879 - 01/31/20 04:59 PM Re: Our email address was hacked [Re: grandma lise]
susan in florida Online   content
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
Sorry you had such a hassle.

Glad to see you BACK on yulelog.

Moderator:  Moderator