YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1542 Members
15 Forums
26419 Topics
326412 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#336188 - 01/08/21 10:08 PM Our Hallmark is closing
SandyT Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: Uniontown PA USA
Just found out today our Amy's Hallmark in Uniontown PA is closing on
February 23.
A huge loss. It's the only store in our county. I've been shopping at a Hallmark store in our county for 50 years (Now I'm telling my age!).
The nearest one is a half hour away. It will be sorely missed.

#336189 - 01/08/21 10:19 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
susan in florida Offline
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
I think we will see a lot more stores closing.

#336197 - 01/09/21 08:22 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
foodlady Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: Savannah, TN
Janís Hallmark in Franklin, TN is also closing. They have hosted a couple of artistsí signings in the last few years and were scheduled to have one in 2020. Since my store and local club sponsor, The Town Crier, closed last year, I had bought several ornaments from Janís this year. I hope Hallmark.com will continue to offer free shipping. It is hard to get coupons and Gold Crown Rewards used before the expiration dates when the only stores carrying Hallmark ornaments are an hour or more away.

Cheryl

#336202 - 01/09/21 09:02 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

The Hallmark in Sebring Florida is closing.

#336211 - 01/09/21 10:20 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: susan in florida]
Sue Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, Maryland
I really sympathize with you whose stores are closing. We had a privately owned chain that closed a couple of years ago (parents retiring and the kids not wanting to take over). A few of their stores were bought by another chain but over the years we have seen a number of other closings for one reason or another. In our area there were really too many...right now it seems about right (but that is my assessment with my store being within two miles). That being said, I know that I am trying to cut my spending at Hallmark ...only buying the series and unofficial series to which I am committed. I do believe it is one thing to have a private store close (retirement?) but when a corporate store closes one really questions why. Any guesses as to what is going on?

Sue
Pasadena, Maryland

#336217 - 01/09/21 04:05 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
pxsrdh Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: U.S.A.
Sandy, so sorry to hear this :-(

Hallmark fan,
Queli

#336221 - 01/09/21 09:15 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: Sue]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: Sue
That being said, I know that I am trying to cut my spending at Hallmark ...only buying the series and unofficial series to which I am committed. I do believe it is one thing to have a private store close (retirement?) but when a corporate store closes one really questions why. Any guesses as to what is going on?

For a number of years there have been comments about the price of rent going up considerably. Many people said that the owners of the malls didn't live there and raised the prices to match those in other areas. I can see that being a problem if that's what's still happening.

There are a lot of indoor malls that are having problems with keeping their tenants. Especially now that so many people are shopping online the sales at indoor malls have got to be down. For so long, like back int the 1960s-1970s people wanted to shop at indoor malls, so downtowns and strip malls suffered. Then people wanted to be able to drive up closer to the stores they wanted to visit so the indoor malls suffered. Today there are people who only shop online because of the pandemic.

I needed to buy some new shoes about 18 months ago. A friend asked me why I didn't shop online. I told her that if the shoes arrived at my house by 2 PM they'd be out on the porch to go back by 5 PM because I was sure they wouldn't fit. I bought the 25th pair I tried on, and I'm not exaggerating on how many I tried on before I found a pair that would fit both feet. I can't buy something like that online but there are things I can get at the Hallmark store online and not have to visit a store, like ornaments.

I guess we'll see what's next.

#336222 - 01/09/21 10:11 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS]
SandyT Offline
Elf Manager

You're right, Nancy. Our Uniontown Mall is losing tenants left and right.
So, I guess it was bound to happen to our Hallmark. I went there today, and found out their lease is up the end of February. However, we have strip malls they could have located in. I guess I was thinking more of them relocating in our area, not leaving.

#336223 - 01/09/21 10:14 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
SandyT Offline
Elf Manager

And I also found out the store that is a half hour away is privately owned, not corporate. The nearest corporate store to Uniontown would be in Greensburg or Washington, which is almost an hour from me.

#336253 - 01/11/21 07:30 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
Designer Nan Offline
Elf

It is truly a shame to lose this shop! We used to have two or three in the Uniontown area...Dulany's in downtown Uniontown, one at the shopping center and the mall. Now we wont have a card or gift shop in the Uniontown area.

#336254 - 01/11/21 07:32 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
Designer Nan Offline
Elf

The Adams Hallmark shop at Pierpont Centre in Morgantown, WV is only about 20 minutes from Uniontown. They are independently owned and have a wonderful, friendly staff and a beautiful selection of merchandise.

#336266 - 01/11/21 04:49 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
SandyT Offline
Elf Manager

You're right, Designer Nan, we had those stores a while back. We even had two stores at the Uniontown Mall (Hello Shoppes), and they closed, and became a corporate store.
We had also had a Hallmark at the Laurel Mall in Connellsville.
I probably will go to Greensburg or Morgantown. However, we have 4 stores that sell Hallmark cards - CVS, Walgreens, Giant Eagle, and Walmart.

#336281 - 01/12/21 03:38 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

closing:
LeMarc's Hallmark
Bay Shore NY

#336288 - 01/13/21 07:53 AM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Gone are the days that my town had several Hallmark stores. All are gone, even the next towns over no longer have Hallmark stores. Nearest Hallmark is about 40-45 minutes away.

I'm hoping that someday soon a Hallmark will again open in Toms River, NJ. (but I would then miss the great people at the Hallmark I travel to).

#336310 - 01/15/21 04:02 PM Re: Our Hallmark is closing [Re: SandyT]
susan in florida Offline
Santa's Helper

closing in May. Linda's Hallmark - They own 4 stores in Southeast Wisconsin and are closing all 4 stores

Moderator:  Moderator