YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 70 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1545 Members
15 Forums
26457 Topics
326824 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#336607 - 02/15/21 09:56 PM Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal?
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Loc: California
Did anybody else get an email about ebay changing payment methods?? It was confusing but sounds like they want to use your checking account directly? Are they totally crazy that they think people will give them their account number to do business with? Seems like at one time people had their accounts drained of all money! I do not feel comfortable doing business this way! I think you can still use paypal but not sure. Why are they doing this? to make more money? I am very discouraged, have so many things I would like to sell, but not sure about still using ebay! Wish there was a different, similar site. I thought this was a scam letter, but guess not, anybody else understand the changes? Is it really true?

#336608 - 02/15/21 10:08 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
Happy Birthday carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
I'm not comfortable with Paypal having my banking information for that reason, too. Definitely not going to give it to ebay.

I know changes are coming, but I don't remember seeing an email from them on what specifically those changes are. Might be because I tend to delete emails from ebay without paying too much attention. They are usually ads.

#336611 - 02/16/21 07:54 AM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
I haven't used Paypal in the couple years.

#336620 - 02/16/21 11:56 AM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
88eggs Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: Illinois
Yes, eBay sent emails last year, saying a payment change was coming. You would pay eBay, not PayPal (that way eBay also earns the PayPal fee!). And, if you sold items, eBay would then send your net amount to your checking account. The fee turns out to be just a couple of cents less than before, but then eBay adds a 35 cent selling fee (I think it was that amount). I could use PayPal without giving them bank account information--I just requested a check whenever the amount was enough to justify it. PayPal charged a $1.50 check fee, but it was worth it to not give out banking account information. Now, you have no choice--eBay requires a banking account number.

Ted

#336623 - 02/16/21 03:30 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Our people protesting this change?? I do not want to give them my checking account number! I would be surprised if people are ok with this... Paypal has been around for some time, we don't know anything about this new company that will be managing the payments. I liked paypal and easy to just ask for a check after selling a few things. Does ebay have a phone number? I am not happy!

#336624 - 02/16/21 10:35 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
Santa's Helper

I had this conversation multiple times 10+ years ago. People were just fine giving Paypal their checking account information back then and treated me like I was so kind of idiot for questioning that at all.

#336626 - 02/17/21 06:38 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

If one refuses to go with this new method of using a checking account, what other option is there to use ebay? Or if not ebay, wish there was another similar company. I wonder if they realize they might lose alot of their customers with this change!

#336627 - 02/18/21 07:21 AM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
I haven't received an email from Ebay. When is this change going to happen?

#336629 - 02/18/21 10:09 AM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Arlington,TX
I haven't received a recent email like the one y'all mention. I received this one on Feb. 17:
"Starting March 17, 2021, eBay will no longer offer sellers the option to change their invoiced currency to non-US currency on their eBay invoices. If you are currently receiving eBay invoices in a currency other than US dollars, you will continue to receive your invoices in your selected currency. Beginning March 17, you will only be able to change your non-US currency to US dollars. We are making this change to create a streamlined user experience for seller disbursements and charges when you join managed payments.

Most US sellers are already billed in US dollars. The change will affect a small percentage of sellers who currently use foreign currencies on their eBay invoices. "

#336641 - 02/20/21 09:21 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
LadyLou Offline
Elf

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I buy and sell on ebay. At this time when you are buying you can still pay for your items through PayPal. As a seller I had to go to the new system as of January 28. I did not want to give eBay my checking account information and I did not want them making deposits to my checking account so I opened a separate account just for ebay sales. When I sell something they notify me when the item is paid for so that I can send it out. They collect the money and deduct fees and deposit remainder in checking account. When I send it out I can pay for the postage through my checking account or Paypal. It seems to be working OK. The reason for this is so someone buying has more options for payments. They can use PayPal, credit cards, Venmo, Apple pay, etc.

#336642 - 02/21/21 10:28 AM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: LadyLou]
VinceL Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: LadyLou
I did not want to give eBay my checking account information and I did not want them making deposits to my checking account so I opened a separate account just for ebay sales.

I just want to emphasize the point that LadyLou makes. Many years ago when I set up a Paypal account, I did not want to give Paypal my checking account number. So, I set up a new checking account that I only use for Paypal transactions. Normally, I only keep a few dollars in the account. If I am going to buy something, I transfer the money from my regular checking account to the Paypal checking account. This is similar to how businesses handle payroll accounts...they only put the total amount of the weekly/monthly payroll into the bank account. These accounts are known as imprest accounts.

I also made sure that my Paypal checking account does not have overdraft protection. So, if my account information gets hacked from Paypal, at most I lose a few dollars.

I highly recommend that anyone who uses Paypal set up an imprest account to handle Paypal transactions.

#336643 - 02/21/21 12:47 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

If I set-up a second checking account I have to pay fees to the bank for that account. That's an added expense.

#336645 - 02/21/21 05:49 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: debbieg]
Nancy C. in Shawnee, KS Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Shawnee, KS USA
Originally Posted By: debbieg
If I set-up a second checking account I have to pay fees to the bank for that account. That's an added expense.

About 15 years ago a lot of local clubs had problems with their banks charging them $10-$12 per month service fees because of the amount of money in the account and the lack of activity. I know of several clubs who had to work with someone to get an account through the bank they used so that they could avoid this. This change impacted Boy and Girl Scout troops, Sunday School programs, and other professional organizations. I agree with you about the possible/probable additional expense.

#336653 - 02/22/21 09:30 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

this is the letter:
Lets put money directly in your pocket*
eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

This means:

No more PayPal payment processing fees.

You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account.

Most sellers will pay the same or less than before.**

Update your account details by February 28, 2021 to continue creating new listings. Its that simple.

Get started ➔

Please disregard this email if youve already updated your account details.

FAQs:

Why is the way Im getting paid on eBay changing?
We are updating the payments experience on eBay to enhance the buying and selling experience on the marketplace. We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.

Is there anything I need to do right now?
Please update your account details, including adding your bank account information, by February 28, 2021 to ensure there are no interruptions to your ability to create new listings and avoid potential payout delays. Learn more and get started here.

How are my fees changing?
Your eBay selling fees and expenses will be automatically deducted from your earnings before you get paid. The remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. You'll no longer have to pay PayPal payment processing fees and no more separate monthly fee payments. Examples of eBay selling fees include: insertion fees, listing upgrades, and store subscription fees.

*As it relates to funds settlement.

**Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (without any 3rd party processing fees).

#336654 - 02/22/21 09:33 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

I still don't like this!!! What can we do to protest or is it too late? they certainly don't care about the effort to set up a new banking account, would want to use a separate one, our household account has too much money in it to hook up to ebay!! They certainly don't care about us, Paypal was so simple mine linked to a credit card. What about people who just occasionally see something they want to buy!! who wants to set up an account just to do that, so stupid!!

#336655 - 02/22/21 11:27 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
LadyLou Offline
Elf

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I was very resistant as well and waited till the last minute to change to the system. Where I live banks have branches in grocery stores, Target, etc. I just went in and got a simple checking account with no fees attached and no overdraft protection. I requested a debit card instead of checks to use. This is only necessary if you sell and you might just want to check with your bank to see if they have a checking account with no fees.

#336656 - 02/23/21 03:34 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
debbieg Offline
Santa's Helper

Found this on the internet. I don't like the idea of not having the sale deposited into my bank account immediately. That allows Ebay to use my money for free, gain interest and still charge almost as much as the combined Ebay and Paypal fees are now. Also I might have to send the item before payment is available to me at my bank.
https://tinyurl.com/ycmzuknh
and
https://tinyurl.com/4z6ym75z

I think when ebay notifies me that it's time to change, I'll quit.

#336665 - 02/26/21 04:16 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
RCarp Offline
Elf VP

Received another email today saying I had til Feb 28 to set up a checking account to continue to do business on ebay!! so if I don't will they drop my account that I've had for 15 years??? Some places says you can still use paypal til next year? I am very very confused and angry at this whole stupid situation.

#336668 - 02/26/21 08:29 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
Santa's Helper

That sounds like a scam to me. I'm a buyer only, not a seller, but I haven't gotten any email like that at all, and I've been watching now.

#336669 - 02/26/21 08:38 PM Re: Ebay: change in payment methods? No paypal? [Re: RCarp]
beaglebabes Offline
YuleLoggers Club Co-coordinator
Santa's Helper

Loc: WI
I also buy and not sell. I got a Paypal agreement update, but I never open those. I just bought two items and used PayPal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Moderator