YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
1553 Members
15 Forums
26675 Topics
329078 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#338253 - 08/08/21 12:38 PM from broken fairy to seaside siren
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
When sneak peeks of the 2021 Hallmark ornament line were revealed, I was inspired by Joanne Wright's beautiful sea-side Father Christmas and an idea blossomed.
I put out a request on Facebook for a broken Fairy Messenger ornament. A fellow Hallmark collector, Robbie Laird, replied he had one he was going to toss out and would be happy to send it to me instead. Both of the fairy's wings were broken off, and she had a little skirt damage. I was thrilled to have a chance to rehab her and thanked Robbie.
I then took the broken Fairy Messenger ornament and turned it into a mermaid with a long undulating tail fin.
Hope this photo sharing works.

It was a fun project. I'd do a few things differently in hindsight, but am still happy with the results. If I come across more broken fairies I may make a few more mermaids. This one is named Roshelle (Rose from Rose Fairy, + shell inside as she lives in the ocean with shells).

#338256 - 08/08/21 01:12 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
Claudia Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Southlake,Texas USA

Diana*, thanks for posting the pictures of your Roshelle mermaid ornament. Great job making her from the broken Fairy Messengers ornament!

Good to see you posting on the YuleLog Board again.

#338260 - 08/08/21 01:43 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
susan in florida Online   content
YuleLoggers Vice President
Santa's Helper

Loc: Clearwater, Florida
She's a beauty!!

#338264 - 08/08/21 04:25 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
Qui-gon Grin Online   content
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
Looks great Diana. How did you do it? Nice to see you postig again, it seems like it has been awhile.

#338268 - 08/08/21 11:13 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
carstairs38 Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Southern California
Beautiful job as always. And welcome back to YuleLog!

#338270 - 08/09/21 06:09 AM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Qui-gon Grin]
Diana* Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Pasadena, CA USA
This is probably more info than you want...
The beginning: This 2007 Rose ornament was missing both wings. Instead of tossing her in the trash, Robbie sent her to me. Part of her skirt was damaged, too, but that just made it easier to remove the rest of her skirt and her legs, leaving just her torso from approximately the waist up. I suppose you could leave the legs in place and build a tail around them, but I wanted the freedom to make the tail in a different shape.
Body modification: I really didnít have the proper materials on hand so did a hodge-podge of different techiques using a variety of materials.
The slots on her back where the wings used to be were filled with air-dry clay. It shrinks after it dries so I over filled them and then pared it down afterwards to blend into her body.
I used a stiff wire to give her tail some support, ditto for the hair extensions.
I wanted the tail to be super long, not short like Arielís. But it couldnít be all clay as that would be pretty heavy. The wire was loosely wrapped in tissue to keep it light, then covered with polymer clay (like Sculpey and Fimo).
The fin at the end of her tail was cut out of a plastic disposable bowl (that gave it a slight curve). Thereís a wire that runs down the middle and back up into the tail to give it support and keep it in place. The outer edges were coated with glue to add some dimension. I made teeny pearls out of clay and super glued them on along with some acrylic gems in different sizes and colors. Then painted the pearls and sprinkled a little clear glitter at the base.
Unfortunately, her hair kept breaking (it was more curling and undulating) so I just used some air-dry clay over the polymer clay base and then covered it all with super glue and baking soda to give it some strength. I donít recommend this method. It was a hassle. But I donít like using polymer clay directly onto anything plastic as it will kind of melt the plastic and make it gummy, so donít do that either.
I took an exacto knife to trim off a line to delineate her swim top, and shaved just a little bit in the torso area so she could have a bare midriff. Used the knife tip in a circle to make a bit of a belly button.
Painting and coloring:
Rose went from a brunette to a sandy blonde with golden and bronze highlights for Roshelle.
Her flower was painted a deep coral with yellow stamen.
Her lips were given a coat of coral lipstick, and her cheeks were blushed a little to make her seem a bit more sun-kissed.
Her fingers and arm creases were drybrushed with a bit of brown to highlight the delicate sculpting and add to the appearance of being tanned.
Like Crystal Gale, her brown eyes became blue.
I started with an aqua colored clay for the tail, but it burnt in the oven so I had to paint over it with craft acrylic paints. I like the look even better painted so that was a happy accident.
I outlined scales on the tail in a really dark blue/black tone, then used maybe seven different shades of blues and greens mixed with metalics and irridescents to mimic the shine on real fish scales.
The fin was painted mixing the acrylics with Mod Podge so it is semi-transparent.
I coated some parts (like the new flesh tone tummy) with a satin varnish to protect the finish and make the ornament more durable.
This was definitely a learning experience and Iíd do some things differently if I had to do it all over again. But it was a fun project and I love having a customized mermaid to display with the 2021 Father Christmas.
Thank you to those who posted lovely compliments.
Sorry for the long post but I hope this answers any questions.

#338272 - 08/09/21 07:52 AM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
Perfect for this years Father Christmas.

#338285 - 08/09/21 10:24 AM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
mariem2 Offline
Elf Manager

That turned out great Diana. You are always so creative.

Marie

Edited by mariem2 (08/09/21 10:28 AM)

#338306 - 08/10/21 12:55 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
steffinie Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Elkhart, Indiana
Diana, your new Fairy Messenger ornament that became "Roshelle" the mermaid is absolutely STUNNING!!! smile

You indeed were very descriptive with the whole process it took to transform her ... Love her super long mermaid tail, as well as her beautiful new hairdo ... Your attention to detail is simply amazing!

Perhaps Hallmark will now be inspired to do a "mermaid" series in addition to the fairy series ... Roshelle will be a wonderful addition next to this year's Father Christmas & Reindeer for you with the "sea" theme!

Good to see you posting again on Yulelog, too!

Stephanie

#338316 - 08/11/21 02:52 AM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
fourof5 Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Pacifica, California, USA
Awesome job Diana !!!!! <3

Kathleen Tullius

#338398 - 08/22/21 02:47 PM Re: from broken fairy to seaside siren [Re: Diana*]
Qui-gon Grin Online   content
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
Thanks Diana,
I thought that you may have cut the bottom off, and sculpted over it.

Moderator:  Moderator