YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
1 registered (JAS51), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Forum Stats
1554 Members
15 Forums
26767 Topics
329856 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#338617 - 09/10/21 12:26 PM And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021
VinceL Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: North Carolina
Earlier this week, my wife and I brought all of the totes (about 45) of indoor Christmas decorations from the garage into the house. This year we are expanding to 9 trees, and we brought them in as well (still boxed). The totes and trees are piled up in our living room. The cats are loving their new "jungle gym."

We are hosting a Halloween party in our home in late October, so we won't be able to do much Christmas decorating until after that party.

We will start the indoor Halloween decorating around the end of September.

#338942 - 10/09/21 06:30 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

Wow, youíre preparing already! Thatís great! If you are having a Halloween party, where are you storing the totes now stacked in your LR? How is your Halloween decorating coming along?

I do not know how many trees I am putting up this year but I hope to start in October. Each year I like to do things different and rotate the themes of trees but I havenít formulated my plan yet. If I want to start in October I better decide soon!

#338945 - 10/09/21 09:07 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Jersey Shore
I usually start the main 10 foot tree by now, but have delayed the start till the end of this month. I have other projects that need finishing first. But when I start on it I will put more hours in each day.

#338947 - 10/09/21 10:43 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: Taj]
VinceL Offline

Originally Posted By: Taj
Wow, youíre preparing already! Thatís great! If you are having a Halloween party, where are you storing the totes now stacked in your LR? How is your Halloween decorating coming along?

Our home has a main (upper) level and a lower level. They are almost identical in size (each is about 2500 sq. ft.). Our Halloween party will be on the lower level. The Christmas decorations are in our living room on the upper level.

We have just about completed the indoor decorations for the Halloween party. We still have to put up outdoor decorations.

Since we have made so much progress on the Halloween party, we have already put up our main 9 foot Christmas tree in the living room.

#338995 - 10/13/21 08:51 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

Originally Posted By: VinceL

Our home has a main (upper) level and a lower level. They are almost identical in size (each is about 2500 sq. ft.). Our Halloween party will be on the lower level. The Christmas decorations are in our living room on the upper level.

We have just about completed the indoor decorations for the Halloween party. We still have to put up outdoor decorations.

Since we have made so much progress on the Halloween party, we have already put up our main 9 foot Christmas tree in the living room.

Oh wow sounds like you have a very large home. How absolutely fun to have so much room to decorate!!! I hope your Halloween party is a blast. I would love to see pics of your Halloween decorations if you want to post some. smile

#338996 - 10/13/21 08:54 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: JerseyVike]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike
I usually start the main 10 foot tree by now, but have delayed the start till the end of this month. I have other projects that need finishing first. But when I start on it I will put more hours in each day.

You will still have plenty of time to decorate even if you start later this month. A ten foot tree? It must look amazing. That is a lot of up and down a ladder to decorate. Do you know about how many ornaments you put on iit? Are they all Hallmark or a mix?

#339001 - 10/14/21 08:44 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: Taj]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

Originally Posted By: JerseyVike

You will still have plenty of time to decorate even if you start later this month. A ten foot tree? It must look amazing. That is a lot of up and down a ladder to decorate. Do you know about how many ornaments you put on iit? Are they all Hallmark or a mix?

About 1000 ornaments, about 97% Hallmark. Not a pre-lit tree, I manually put on about 2200-2500 mostly LED lights.

I will try to post pics at a later time.

#339095 - 11/01/21 08:55 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

1,000 ornaments?!? Oh that sounds beautiful! A kidís dream to play I Spy on that tree. smile

Do you include a pickle ornament for people to find? It has become a tradition at our house. Having so many ornaments on the same tree like yours would make it more fun. One year I hid a pickle ornament on each decorated tree. We play a lot of games at Christmas and one year one of the games was True or False. I named different ornaments and people had to say whether or not that ornament was on the main tree. It works best with character ornaments.

#339096 - 11/01/21 10:14 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: Taj]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

1,000 ornaments?!? Oh that sounds beautiful! A kidís dream to play I Spy on that tree. smile

Do you include a pickle ornament for people to find? It has become a tradition at our house. Having so many ornaments on the same tree like yours would make it more fun. One year I hid a pickle ornament on each decorated tree. We play a lot of games at Christmas and one year one of the games was True or False. I named different ornaments and people had to say whether or not that ornament was on the main tree. It works best with character ornaments.

Our 10' tree has become a yearly main attraction for family and friends. Will be the 29th year for it.

We have done the hide the pickle ornament in the past, but have gotten away from it. Maybe should revisit it.

I have thought of creating a question/answer game for the the main tree. Example: How many snowman ornaments are on the tree, or What Disney character is on the tree the most?

#339097 - 11/01/21 10:18 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

And so it begins..... Starting the main tree(10 foot) today. Hope to have the tree up and lights(2400 mostly LED) done by this weekend. Slow go this week due to other projects(still working on bathroom renovations and yard cleanup/winter storage).

#339100 - 11/01/21 01:21 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

I like your idea for the question/answer game. smile Getting the lights on the tree this week will be a good start! Then the fun of hanging the ornaments! smile

#339107 - 11/02/21 09:38 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: Taj]
JerseyVike Offline
Santa's Helper

I like your idea for the question/answer game. smile Getting the lights on the tree this week will be a good start! Then the fun of hanging the ornaments! smile

I have always come up with a question or two every year which makes quests look very closely at every ornament on the tree.

Looking forward to the ornaments. Not all are hung. I use floral wire when I want the ornament on the top side of the branch.

#339114 - 11/02/21 04:18 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Taj Offline
Elf VP

One year I did a game where I wrote a list of different ornaments for guests to find on the tree. One person in the room at a time would take their phone and take a pic of each ornament as they found it. I would verify they found all the correct ones and the person who found them all the fastest would win a prize.

#339123 - 11/02/21 10:45 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Dr. Redbird Offline

There is an app called Goose Chase where you can set up a game for people to play on their phones. This sounds like a great way to spice up a Christmas gathering and get people to look at one's displays.

#339130 - 11/03/21 11:35 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
Qui-gon Grin Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Third rock from Sol
The house across the street from me put up thier outside Christmas decorations on October 29. Which fit in quite well with the ghouls and goblins decorating the rest of the neighborhood. laugh

#339214 - 11/07/21 08:35 PM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
VinceL Offline

We hosted what I thought was a great Halloween party at our house on October 29th. Recently, I have really gotten into the smart light bulbs. So the main room for our party had a mix of orange and purple lights. Our kitchen had purple, orange and green lights. They all work with the Google Nest Hub. So, I can just tell the Hub what colors to make the lights.

The outside Halloween decorations have been taken down and stored. We still have some indoor decorations from the Halloween party to store.

After they are stored, it is time to start the Christmas decorating. We have 2 trees set up. Next step is to get the other 7 trees set up. We may do some outdoor decorating this week since the temperature is supposed to be in the 70's.

#339382 - 11/28/21 10:17 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: VinceL]
oddsbodkins Offline

Don't you love it when you're being super careful taking an ornament out and it breaks? Love it! My Disney sketchbook Casey at the bat just snapped at the ankles like it was designed to do specifically that. Impossible to glue since his ankles are thinner than rice paper. Replacements on ebay around $100. Ruins my whole experience honestly.

#339400 - 11/29/21 08:19 AM Re: And so it begins.....Starting Christmas decorating for 2021 [Re: oddsbodkins]
steffinie Offline
Elf VP

Loc: Elkhart, Indiana
Originally Posted By: oddsbodkins
Don't you love it when you're being super careful taking an ornament out and it breaks? Love it! My Disney sketchbook Casey at the bat just snapped at the ankles like it was designed to do specifically that. Impossible to glue since his ankles are thinner than rice paper. Replacements on ebay around $100. Ruins my whole experience honestly.

Oddsbodkins ... I'm so very sorry to hear that your Disney sketchbook "Casey at the bat" broke while you were trying to take it out of the box ... I know your pain and devastation ... But, do try and enjoy the rest of your ornaments and decorating during the holiday season.

Best wishes,
Stephanie

Moderator:  Moderator