YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1536 Members
15 Forums
26326 Topics
325460 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#40431 - 06/19/02 06:03 PM My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our dogs name was Dusty, we got him 6 years ago from a shelter in NY. He was a Mini collie mix, mini collie and a lot of other things our vet said when we first brought him in for his first checkup. The shelter said he was 6 but the vet that fixed him said more like 10 to 12 by the gray on his face, but we did not care. My sister saw this dog on the news that needed a home so she called to adopt him. They said that we have a collie but never said he was the one on TV and my sister said I guess I really did not make that clear that I saw the dog on a news program and she was female. My sister went to the shelter and $60 later they brought out Dusty with the explanation, he was going to be put to sleep the day before but we saved him for you and no refunds. My sister said they know a sucker when one walked in :-}. Dusty was not the dog she saw on TV but Of course she could not say no but with one stipulation, if he could not get along with our Golden back he was coming which they said ok you can pick another then. They asked my sister if she wanted so see more which she replied, this makes 2 and thatís all you can have in my town. Dusty whisked her out the door and down the block to freedom where I was waiting in the car. When I saw him I said this is the dog that looks like our Golden I told you they would pull the switch. Dusty was brown & black long hair kind of like a grease spot but he had a pretty face & smile. My Golden was not at first happy with this new addition and she keep her distance the first few days just only getting close enough to give he a snarl. One day while I was on the computer Dusty came close to me which she did not like and grabbed him by the neck and throw him into the daybed. Well when Dusty got up he must have thought, you want to play this game ok so he bit her on the face. They both just starred at each other and I said lets get this straight, you can be friends and live together or Dusty goes back to jail and our Golden you can live alone. They picked friends and been together ever since until now. My sister noticed when Dusty first came home that he was walking into a lot of things and our Golden would guide him down the stairs walking on the out side while he followed the wall. We discovered he had RDA I think which is an eye degeneration disease and nothing could be done but he learned to get around fine. We just made sure the cellar door was closed and night-lights were put around so he could see some light. Dusty left the shelter to come into our family where he had two houses in different states to go between, a doggie friend to play with & would want for nothing. Even when he invaded the bags of food in the car and would steal something you could not get mad because he was being Dusty. Dusty was a very smart dog and made a great pair with our Golden. They would often work together to steal food and enjoyed playing doggie smackdown. They would watch & cry when the vet was checking one or watch through the door glass and cry when one was getting their baths by the mobile groomer. They really loved each other, which was great. Dusty was much for his family and would only pay any attention to guest when they were leaving. He would walk them to the door as saying, nice to see you, hereís the door come back soon. It made my sister friend laugh who was visiting from out of state. Dusty would wait for my sister to come home from work and if she was late by 10 minutes he would start to bark at me like asking, why is his mother late and make her come home now. Of course when she finally got home they would both sing & dance in circles. These two were like a bunch of kids who liked it when there family was home together to play & pay attention to them. Dusty loved going on rides in the car where he would sit on my sistersí lap in the front seat, which was not the most conformable way since he weighed 50 Ė54 Lbs. I got the blame for both their weight gains because I would take them for cheeseburgers to Burger King, Wendyís, Checkers. They would also share 1 hotdog, an ice cream & bottle of Pollen Springs water when they came with me to Costco, but heck it wasnít every day. Two weeks ago Dusty began to have very bad seizers, on Thursday one before going to the vet and one after when we got home. Dusty was fine for the next week until early Friday morning where he had another real bad one. He seized on and off all the way to the emergency vets who stop his seizers but said this is not a good sign when an older dog starts this. We took Dusty then to our regular vet who keep him in the hospital through the weekend and until today. We visited him every day which he seamed stable until Tuesday when he could not longer stand or lift his head for any length of time. I told him we loved him and to get better because I needed my navigator for directions when we go driving in the car. He started to run a fever and the vet put him on antibiacties, and said the next 24 hours would tell. My sister called the vet this morning from work and learned Dusty wasnít getting better. She only worked half a day so we could visit Dusty and do what was needed to stop any suffering. When we went to see Dusty today he wasnít Dusty anymore, no life was left in him just a shell and no chance of bringing him back so we had no choice but to, you know. The vet said it was something in his brain, tumor, cancer, doesnít matter they put him a medication to stop the seizers but he just got worse. Nothing medically could have been done and no miracles were coming.
I want to run away but donít know where to go, I want to go someplace that will make this all better, put things back the way they were but I donít know where that is, do you? Is there such a place? This is not the first pet Iíve lost and we were with Dusty when he was relived of his pain. Dusty had a great 6 years with us but I wanted it to be more, it never gets easy. We had plans to move to Florida were they would have had a new home with a swimming pool but I donít care about that anymore. I donít know what I want or care about anymore, and it will hurt in the coming weeks specially when a look at my golden and know she lost her friend and is alone again. She is different today than other days when she smelled him on us after the visits. My guess she knows, we did explain it to her.
This hurts me to write but help as well I think.

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 06-20-2002).]

#40432 - 06/19/02 06:38 PM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

JP, I am sorry to hear about Dusty. He sounds like he was a great pet. You gave him a good life.

#40433 - 06/19/02 09:44 PM Re: My Doggie Died
Lil Ms Muff Offline
Elf Manager

Loc: TN
JP, I too am sorry for your loss... it's never easy to lose someone/or pet that is equally a part of your family. Just know that the dog is not suffering any longer and that you and your family gave him a great home. As for your other dog, love him greatly and he can ease your pain. A new hobby or involvement in a new activity should fulfill your mind and your sadness should fade someday. My prayers are with you my friend.

#40434 - 06/19/02 10:50 PM Re: My Doggie Died
sueinBC Offline
Elf VP

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
JP, I"m very sorry for your loss. Dogs (and other pets) have a way of leaving footprints on our hearts.

The followig is a poem that might help.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole
and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to
be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes
are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to
be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more
into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

------------------
Sue, Surrey,B.C.

"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

[This message has been edited by sueinBC (edited 06-19-2002).]

"Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

#40435 - 06/20/02 06:35 AM Re: My Doggie Died
Cathy_Tex Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Houston TX
JP, I'm sorry for the loss of your cherished pet. Here is something a friend sent to me when I recently lost a pet of my own. He lived to a very old age, and your story reminded me of my own.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god, and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food, that I may be well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful loom of eternal rest ... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

#40436 - 06/20/02 08:37 AM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dusty sounded like a wonderful dog and clearly brought much joy and love to your family. I know it will be hard for a while, but soon the pain will lessen and you will have wonderful memories.

My dog died at home in my last years in college. The things I remember most is how he loved to sing when I practiced the piano. He would lay down right next to it when I practiced and just howl everytime I hit those keys.

Of course, I assume it was singing because he never got up to get away from the noise. Then again, maybe I just needed more practice.

Pets are wonderful, and the one thing I really miss living in the apt. I have that won't allow them.

Take care!

------------------
TTFN!
Drewster
Help out a starving artist and grad student! Make Drewster your link to Amazon.com.
"Acting is easy. Just know your lines and don't bump into the furniture."
- Spencer Tracy

#40437 - 06/20/02 08:50 AM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I've lost a couple of dogs over the last few years and I know how it feels. People without pets don't understand the bond between a pet and its owner. It's like a family member. My best to you and your family.

Celly

#40438 - 06/20/02 10:45 AM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a lucky dog Dusty was to have someone like you to love him and care for him.

#40439 - 06/20/02 05:18 PM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dusty. It's never easy, but it sounds like you gave him the best life he could have. Our first corgi had seizures and had to be put to sleep at age five. He had a brain leison that finally destroyed his motor skills. I still miss him 10 years later, but take great joy in his half sister, a half brother, an unrelated corgi, and a great-great nephew. Someday think about another dog. You sound like a wonderful owner, and there are so many who need love. It will take months, but I hope the time comes when you adopt a new friend. Not a replacement- no two are alike. Think hard first, though. The saddest thing about dogs is they only have 10-16 years, and some people would rather not face what has to come.

I hope time turns your memories to happy ones.

#40440 - 06/22/02 10:55 AM Re: My Doggie Died
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dusty left us three days ago and the house feels so empty, we all feel empty and will for a long time to come. As many of you wrote know the heart break of loosing a pet and they say time heals all wounds but not this kind. It may seal for awhile but bleeds again when recalling happy memories because the stories remembered always come to the same sad ending.
I would like to thank everyone for his or her thoughtful posts. Iím at a loss for words to express myself over them. If you wish you could see Dusty at Pet Reflections Quilt Patch 21.

Moderator:  Moderator