YuleLog Home
How to Register on the Bulletin Board
Buy YuleLog Software

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
1532 Members
15 Forums
26198 Topics
323862 Posts

Max Online: 557 @ 01/14/20 02:55 PM
Google Ads
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Topic Options
#55594 - 05/12/02 07:38 PM Ornaments Late this year?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I noticed when looking through the dream book on Hallmark web site that the star trek & star wars ornaments are coming out late this year. other years it was Augest but now they have been pushed to november. Anyone got any ideas why?

#55595 - 05/12/02 08:06 PM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
Phillip27 Offline
Elf Engineer - Toy Design

Loc: PA, USA
I noticed that also. To me, November seems mighty late. I'm thinking either Hallmark won't make as many of these ornaments, or they will be easy to find after Christmas(since they only have about a month to sell out). If I wanted any of those ornies I probably wouldn't wait.

#55596 - 05/12/02 08:54 PM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the reason most of the ornaments are being released late is because Hallmark wants to make October releases and Open House more exciting. Most people come out for Premier and buy most of their ornaments then. By holding some of the important ones back like Star Trek this will make you the customer come back several times. Plus there will be special offers for October and Open House weekends like bonus points for the Gold Crown Card and special ornaments only avalible that weekend! Hope this helps!

------------------
"Truly great friends are hard to find,difficult to leave,and impossible to forget."-G.Randolf
Jen \:\)

#55597 - 05/12/02 09:30 PM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
homemadebycarol Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Reno, NV
I've found that any of the ornaments Hallmark puts out in Oct/Nov and especially as late as December are always in plentiful supply after Christmas (Barbie, Harry Potter, Coca Cola snowboarding bear & Reach ornaments come to mind). I can't even think of anything that's been an exception in the last few years. Which is good news if you want a bargain on these ornaments on Dec 26.

[This message has been edited by homemadebycarol (edited 05-12-2002).]

#55598 - 05/13/02 10:53 AM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
Richard Gehrke Offline

Loc: Mahtowa, MN
I think the reason is so that we don't have all of the ornaments to purchase right away in July and the buying season can be prolonged in that case. I mean, we will go looking at the ornaments to see what's selling and what's not selling; however, we may not buy as many ornaments during the year as we do at Premiere.

Carol, I agree with you. A lot of the ornaments that have been released in the latter months of the buying season lately, tend to be the ones that are sitting on the shelves after Christmas. Why do you think that is? To little time between when they come out and Christmas? Perhaps to many of these ornaments?

I think it's hard to believe that a die hard collector is finished for the year (except for possibly after Christmas) come October and November. You would also think this is the time when the gift buyers or casual collectors are starting to do their shopping.

I think of a couple ornaments only that have been fairly popular in the latter months in the recent years. In 1999 The Snowmen Of Mitford was popular and was released in October that year. In 1998 The Grinch was released in November and was widely popular. The Holiday Barbies when they first came out in 93, in November, were popular. As well as A Charlie Brown Christmas Set from 1995.

However, I agree; the ornaments that are released in those later months do not sell as well.

#55599 - 05/13/02 03:28 PM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the star trek ornaments are the only ones i buy now, running collection.I liked getting my ornaments early not into waiting to november but what can we do. Prices seam lower this year because i figured the enterprise with display stand would be more than $24 since it's metal. Last year i did not see to many DS9 ornaments left after christmas so maybe hallmark is trying to make a run on them bringing them out late or they figure these would sell no matter when they come out. so that way they figured you would buy others like many of you wrote.

#55600 - 05/13/02 07:55 PM Re: Ornaments Late this year?
homemadebycarol Offline
Santa's Helper

Loc: Reno, NV
 Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Gehrke:

Carol, I agree with you. A lot of the ornaments that have been released in the latter months of the buying season lately, tend to be the ones that are sitting on the shelves after Christmas. Why do you think that is? To little time between when they come out and Christmas? Perhaps to many of these ornaments?

My two cents is that too many of these ornaments are ordered for what Hallmark and the retailers consider the big selling season (Nov/Dec). Promotions are designed around these ornaments with free coupons, flyers, TV ads, paper ads, etc all geared towards the holiday shopper. No retailer wants to be short whatever ornaments are being so heavily promoted so they stock up. They could sell a lot yet still have a lot left on the shelves. Of course I could be completely wrong but that's what I've observed.

Moderator:  Moderator